Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Dare I ask what the Y-wing art issue was?

On a related ship art concern, there's a delightful full card of a "Green Squadron A-Wing" that's bright red in the LCG. I mean, I know the ship color doesn't have to match squadron color, but there's a couple other cards in the same set that have green painted A-Wings depicted.

homullus posted:

This is absolutely true. Lots of great poses regardless of the sex or gender of the characters, and a better feel for what makes Star Wars exciting than anything else I've seen.

A thousand times this. Females from all sorts of species are depicted in all sorts of careers. Hell, they put a Chiss woman on the cover of the Explorer book. She's fully clothed, has a big gun, and the only thing even remotely sexist about the picture is that she's in kind of a "sassy" pose, but it's much more of an "I'm better than you at guns" look than a "come hither m'lord" one. I can't think of the last time an RPG book has had just a female character on the front cover that wasn't a sexpuppet of some kind. Either some manner of fetish slave or utterly impractical battle armor.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Wow.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Madurai posted:

Well, except whoever did that picture of the Y-wing in EotE. Which also made it onto the Gold Squadron card in X-Wing Miniatures. Someone needs a word with QA.

What's wrong with it, what am I not seeing?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Compare it side by side to what a Y-Wing actually looks like:

The engine on one side is not only longer, but sticks out WAAAAY farther than the other. It's really bad perspective.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
It's just custom designed for incredibly fast turns. In only one direction. Forever.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Carteret posted:

Compare it side by side to what a Y-Wing actually looks like:

The engine on one side is not only longer, but sticks out WAAAAY farther than the other. It's really bad perspective.

Then again, the one on the right's cockpit viewport(s) is wrong. Should look like the left. :eng101:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wanna edit this in on the gold squadron card.

gently caress yeah y-wings

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Bahahaha. That's loving beautiful. Seconding the irrational desire to mod a mini to match that art.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Rules question:

If one dude on a swoop bike shoots another dude on a swoop bike, would we just use silhouette comparisons?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Are they shooting with the swoop bike or via blasters?

For me, if it was the player shooting another dude, I would add difficulty dice based on the dudes pilot skill.

If if was the dude shooting the swoop bike, then yes I believe you would compare silhouettes.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
The way I take it is silhouette is for when you are using weapons that use starship/planetary ranges. Anti-personnel weapons with normal range would use normal range difficulty rules.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Does the Togorian racial, uh, do...anything? It's a brawl attack with +1 damage and a crit rate of 3. Which puts it behind I'm pretty sure every single brawl equipment in the game, including the vibroknucks that explicitly have a bonus to being hidden.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

Does the Togorian racial, uh, do...anything? It's a brawl attack with +1 damage and a crit rate of 3. Which puts it behind I'm pretty sure every single brawl equipment in the game, including the vibroknucks that explicitly have a bonus to being hidden.

Is that from the unofficial species menagerie ? That came out during beta so I'm sure it's been surpassed by official material.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

alg posted:

Is that from the unofficial species menagerie ? That came out during beta so I'm sure it's been surpassed by official material.

That might answer that!

Wow. Brawling is...not very advised, is it?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Brawling is generally pretty bad, yeah. I've had this dumb general notion for a while now in which I would play a brawler with Supreme Scathing Tirade who dishes out loads of strain damage every turn but shooting people in the face seems so much easier.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Man, even melee seems pretty bad despite generally better damage and effects, given that you have to move into short range first, then spend ANOTHER maneuver to reach "engaged" distance.

There's really no reason to ever make a non-pistol guy, is there? :(

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Vibro-Axes and Lightsabers own. Loppin' off limbs erry day.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I tend to let melee players play a little loose with "engaged" based on the narrative. Though bad guys get that too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I just want to make a big cat Togorian who growls menacingly at people and punches in their face if they doing go along with his "suggestions" while not being a Wookie because god everyone is already a Wookie.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

I tend to let melee players play a little loose with "engaged" based on the narrative. Though bad guys get that too.

Back when we were still running our campaign, our Melee based Droid was getting really bored on their ship during a longer space combat encounter. He talked the crew into the best strategy ever; The pilot maneuvered the ship as close to the enemy freighter as possible, The Co-Pilot Medic calculated speed and trajectory from the lower airlock, and after rolling a triumph, the droid leapt out of the airlock and cleaved his way into the enemy's hull with his Vibroaxe. :getin: :black101:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

Back when we were still running our campaign, our Melee based Droid was getting really bored on their ship during a longer space combat encounter. He talked the crew into the best strategy ever; The pilot maneuvered the ship as close to the enemy freighter as possible, The Co-Pilot Medic calculated speed and trajectory from the lower airlock, and after rolling a triumph, the droid leapt out of the airlock and cleaved his way into the enemy's hull with his Vibroaxe. :getin: :black101:

This is Star Wars as gently caress. Murder droid with an axe Masterchiefing it out an airlock? :getin:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
A bit confused on moving.

So as a maneuver I can move across one band (ha ha ha "can melee" is its own band jesus christ).

I get one maneuver a round, and can spend 2 strain to get a second one.

Is there any way at all to move across more then two bands, or to move across 2 without hurting myself in the process?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
You can drop your action to another maneuver. So you can get 3 maneuvers with the strain.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Excelsiortothemax posted:

You can drop your action to another maneuver. So you can get 3 maneuvers with the strain.

Well, the plan is to attack them. So I'm guessing it's a...no :(

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I don't think that's right. Pg200 of EotE core book:

quote:

However, regardless of the source, a single character may not perform more than two maneuvers during his turn.

emphasis original.

edit: and to elaborate, page 203 under "exchange an action for a maneuver":

quote:

A character may exchange his action for an additional movement during his turn. He may then perform any maneuver he would be able to perform normally, following all the rules that govern maneuvers. However, he still may not perform more than two maneuvers during his turn, no matter how he gained access to them.
(emphasis mine)

So yeah, even with turning an action into a maneuver, it's never possible/legal to have more than two maneuvers.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 4, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

In the next session of the EotE campaign I'm running on Saturdays I'm having my players rob a train using speeder-bikes, tow-cables and their YT-1300. Is it just me, or is this going to go horribly wrong in a lot of incredibly disastrous ways?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Well, the plan is to attack them. So I'm guessing it's a...no :(

What you should do then is get a vibro-axe and houserule a modification that makes it more functional as a throwing weapon while making it less effective as a melee weapon. You throw that after taking your two maneuvers while still holding onto your melee weapon for maximum space viking. :black101:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

In my experience, melee is still very strong as long as the PCs don't get ambushed in an open field. Yes, it sucks to close to melee, but if you built the character for melee, you have amazing Soak and will absolutely wreck dudes once you're there. In some fights it will be suicide to charge, but that is expected behavior. In others, it takes a turn or two to get there by some other route. I would never discourage a player from building a "hands-on" character -- they're durable and the encourage the players to plan their clever schemes around getting the Wookiee or Gand or whatever within striking distance.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

edit: ^^^ yeah the soak on melee characters is gross.

ProfessorCirno posted:

A bit confused on moving.

So as a maneuver I can move across one band (ha ha ha "can melee" is its own band jesus christ).

I get one maneuver a round, and can spend 2 strain to get a second one.

Is there any way at all to move across more then two bands, or to move across 2 without hurting myself in the process?

Medium range - engaged is like 30 meters. At least in my game, rarely do combats occur starting longer than medium range on a planet.

In any case, bring a blaster as a backup. It's not D&D, everybody can shoot if they have to.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Clearly your melee characters need to Jedi it the gently caress up and take Force Enhance.

Problem solved!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Last session we had the dedicated brawler get into a fist fight with a droid. The brawler gets multiple triumphs and crits, so we add +10 to each consecutive crit roll. Eventually the brawler, with only his fists, Maims the droid (104 total roll). So I rule that the brawler ripped the droids arm off. The brawler proceeds to beat the droid with its own arm.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Far Horizons and Onslaught at Arda I are shipping and should be here next week!

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
Near the end of my last session, a droid PC got shot for a pretty significant amount of damage (6 wounds after a "first aid" Mechanics check to heal a few). So to figure out how to handle this next session, I've been studying the healing rules. And based on that, does anyone else think it's weird how the droid healing rules are almost exactly like the meatbag healing rules with a few minor changes?

The Emergency Repair Patches make perfect sense, but everything else is weird. Droids can heal naturally because of self-repair systems? I guess that makes some sense, but why does it function exactly like meatbag natural healing? The Star Wars universe doesn't have quasi-magical nanobots that can make complex machinery out of sand or whatever (or at least, they aren't standard issue for droids), so shouldn't there be limits to that kind of thing?

Then you have oil baths, which are a routine maintenance thing in the movies and books, but here are exactly like bacta tanks except they work on droids and work twice as fast. Finally, there are Mechanics checks, which work exactly like first aid Medicine checks, and as such can only be done once per encounter, unless I read the book wrong.

What is totally missing from these rules is the scene you would actually expect to see after a droid gets shot up in a battle: a mechanic takes the droid into a workshop with some tools and a pile of spare parts, and spends a few hours repairing the droid the same way, in real life, that you would repair a car. You know, like Chewbacca and C3PO in Empire Strikes Back.

I understand that the intent was to avoid creating disparities between droid and non-droid characters, but it still ends up feeling really strange.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 5, 2014

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

homullus posted:

In my experience, melee is still very strong as long as the PCs don't get ambushed in an open field. Yes, it sucks to close to melee, but if you built the character for melee, you have amazing Soak and will absolutely wreck dudes once you're there.

That's the key. You can half rear end being a ranged combatant (give the guy with 2 agility and no skill a blaster pistol and he might kill somebody if he aims), but you absolutely cannot half rear end a melee fighter. Going into melee means you're going to get shot a lot, so you need to have built for high soak and wounds so that you survive that process long enough to absolutely ruin everybody with your axe.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

That's the key. You can half rear end being a ranged combatant (give the guy with 2 agility and no skill a blaster pistol and he might kill somebody if he aims), but you absolutely cannot half rear end a melee fighter. Going into melee means you're going to get shot a lot, so you need to have built for high soak and wounds so that you survive that process long enough to absolutely ruin everybody with your axe.

True, but it's not that hard. A high Brawn sets you up really well for both doing and taking damage, so you just . . . do that. If you made a melee character with 1 Brawn, it's ok, because you'll be making a new character soon enough, and can give that one at least a 4.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

INH5 posted:

Near the end of my last session, a droid PC got shot for a pretty significant amount of damage (6 wounds after a "first aid" Mechanics check to heal a few). So to figure out how to handle this next session, I've been studying the healing rules. And based on that, does anyone else think it's weird how the droid healing rules are almost exactly like the meatbag healing rules with a few minor changes?

The Emergency Repair Patches make perfect sense, but everything else is weird. Droids can heal naturally because of self-repair systems? I guess that makes some sense, but why does it function exactly like meatbag natural healing? The Star Wars universe doesn't have quasi-magical nanobots that can make complex machinery out of sand or whatever (or at least, they aren't standard issue for droids), so shouldn't there be limits to that kind of thing?

Then you have oil baths, which are a routine maintenance thing in the movies and books, but here are exactly like bacta tanks except they work on droids and work twice as fast. Finally, there are Mechanics checks, which work exactly like first aid Medicine checks, and as such can only be done once per encounter, unless I read the book wrong.

What is totally missing from these rules is the scene you would actually expect to see after a droid gets shot up in a battle: a mechanic takes the droid into a workshop with some tools and a pile of spare parts, and spends a few hours repairing the droid the same way, in real life, that you would repair a car. You know, like Chewbacca and C3PO in Empire Strikes Back.

I understand that the intent was to avoid creating disparities between droid and non-droid characters, but it still ends up feeling really strange.

It might feel strange, but go ahead and have your droid player sit out for several hours of game time for mandatory repairs. Their reaction will be the reason why they did it that way.

Edit: I mean, I guess if you want you can roleplay it where the field fixes they're making are only temporary and when the party gets back to their ship/relative safety, the droid goes off to the maintenance bay for more permanent repairs, though I figure that's kind of implied considering even meatsacks would probably have to go back to a med bay for healing after getting shot up.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 5, 2014

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Ran my first session last night, 5 original PCs in the beginner game. It went pretty well, they all seemed to have fun and the dice were well received. The only things that slowed the game down somewhat were space combat and coming up with advantage/threat interpretations. I imagine we'll all get better at it with time, and I'm trying to encourage my group to say what they're doing with some narrative flair.

Bearing in mind my group are still new to RPGing (having only done two sessions of D&D before EotE), should I try to dissuade them from constantly referring to their sheets? It slows things down and I'd like to encourage more RP rather than letting their numbers decide the group's action. I realise they're all new to the sheets, just wondering if it's something to watch.

They're all excited to keep playing, so that's a plus! I'm going straight into Long Arm of the Hutt next, then once they're a bit more comfortable with the system I'll start to alternate original/adventure book stories I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

The Narrator posted:

Ran my first session last night, 5 original PCs in the beginner game. It went pretty well, they all seemed to have fun and the dice were well received. The only things that slowed the game down somewhat were space combat and coming up with advantage/threat interpretations. I imagine we'll all get better at it with time, and I'm trying to encourage my group to say what they're doing with some narrative flair.

Bearing in mind my group are still new to RPGing (having only done two sessions of D&D before EotE), should I try to dissuade them from constantly referring to their sheets? It slows things down and I'd like to encourage more RP rather than letting their numbers decide the group's action. I realise they're all new to the sheets, just wondering if it's something to watch.

Space Combat is one of the game's weak points, sadly. Well, to be fair, every Star Wars game has lovely space combat. It's just kind of the nature of the beast; if you've got five people on one ship, what are they all going to do?

For advantages and threats, you might try making a quick list of good/bad things that can happen in each scene. Maybe stormtroopers could bust in, maybe a power conduit could explode, whatever. Then, whenever you've got advantage or threat that you don't know what to do with, you can just grab something off that list.

Don't worry too much about players reading stuff off their sheets; doing the things your character is good at is part of the game. On the other hand, prompt them to be more than just the character sheet. When they say 'I unlock that door' don't go straight to the roll, say 'Great! How? Do you go straight for the mechanism, or do you go through the terminal?' You don't need them to be method acting all the time, but make sure everything's descriptive enough that everyone can really imagine what's going on.

• Locked thread