Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Can I see the Disney parks in 2 days or would I need 3?

Depends on when you decide to go. They get enormous queues during Japanese school holidays, but if you go on a weekday outside of holidays it's not so bad and you can easily see one park in one day with repeat rides on the rollercoasters (get fastpass in the morning, of course). You should really probably start in the early morning and go home when the place closes though.

Usually 7/11 offers special discount tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

Depends on when you decide to go. They get enormous queues during Japanese school holidays, but if you go on a weekday outside of holidays it's not so bad and you can easily see one park in one day with repeat rides on the rollercoasters (get fastpass in the morning, of course). You should really probably start in the early morning and go home when the place closes though.

Also make use of the single rider lines. You go to the fast pass line and say single rider. They should let you into a third line and use you to fill in the extra spaces. Most of the time you wait less than 10 minutes. Not all rides have that option though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

On that subject, is it worth it to go to Fuji Q Highland if you have terrible vertigo? I'd like to go to that haunted hospital but i think if I ride any of the famous rollercoasters there they would find a very pale, shitless corpse at the end of the ride. Are there any rollercoasters which aren't ridiculously tall, or other fun rides for the acrophobic? I don't care about speed or fast turns or anything like that, but heights give me the jibblies.

I like doing Mr. Bean style yawns on disney rollercoasters though and pretending to fall asleep.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 3, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Seph posted:

I'm planning a two week trip to Japan for next May. This will be my third time in Japan, so since I've already seen the main sights around Tokyo and Kyoto I figured I would check out Fukuoka and Kyushu. My rough schedule looks something like this:

Days 1-4: Tokyo
Day 5: Shinkansen to Himeji
Day 6: Shinkansen to Hiroshima/Miyajima
Days 7-12: Fukuoka and Kyushu
Days 12-14: Ferry/flight to Busan
Day 15: Fly back to Tokyo and then home

I've been to Tokyo and Kyoto in May before and it was warm but not awful. Will Fukuoka be unbearably hot in early May? I'm also wondering if six days in the Fukuoka area is overkill? I love hiking and outdoorsy stuff so I was hoping to spend a few days exploring the mountains but I'm not sure how much there is to do there outside of nature. Based on my current schedule I can get the 7 day rail pass and activate it once I leave Tokyo so I will be free to take the train as much as possible around Kyushu.

Also, does anyone have any insight on flying vs. taking a ferry to Busan from Fukuoka? I've read it's roughly the same cost and takes about the same amount of time once you factor in getting to the airport, security, taxiing, and all that. I think it would be cool to take a ferry, so I would probably plan on doing that unless anyone here has a strong reason not to.

You can shinkansen straight to Hiroshima and visit Himeji as a day trip so you don't have to pack twice.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Seph posted:

I've been to Tokyo and Kyoto in May before and it was warm but not awful. Will Fukuoka be unbearably hot in early May? I'm also wondering if six days in the Fukuoka area is overkill? I love hiking and outdoorsy stuff so I was hoping to spend a few days exploring the mountains but I'm not sure how much there is to do there outside of nature. Based on my current schedule I can get the 7 day rail pass and activate it once I leave Tokyo so I will be free to take the train as much as possible around Kyushu.

Also, does anyone have any insight on flying vs. taking a ferry to Busan from Fukuoka? I've read it's roughly the same cost and takes about the same amount of time once you factor in getting to the airport, security, taxiing, and all that. I think it would be cool to take a ferry, so I would probably plan on doing that unless anyone here has a strong reason not to.

Fukuoka itself isn't that great as a tourist destination because there isn't a lot to see but it can be a good base for day trips to other cities in Kyushu like Nagasaki and Kumamoto. The weather will be fine and you might get bored around day 5 or 6 but the nightlife is quite good on weekends and if you stay around Tenjin everything will be very convenient. I have a friend who does bicycle tours and you might be able to hop on one of those in May and go see some smaller towns and enjoy their onsens.

As far as ferry vs. plane goes I think a plane might be slightly better if they are the same price. I took the ferry to Busan recently and it was an enjoyable experience but the port is a little bit out of the way compared to the airport in Fukuoka so you'd have to take a bus or taxi to get there compared to a short subway ride for the airport. Also, pretty much everyone involved with the ferry is Korean and they probably speak better Japanese than they do English so communication might be a bit more difficult compared to people at the airport. The ferry itself is an interesting experience but kind of lacking in amenities. You can buy drinks and snacks on there for relatively cheap but the ferries themselves are pretty old and don't have a place for you to put a laptop other than on your lap if you want to use it for the three hours you are sitting there. The on board entertainment consists of a TV displaying a Korean comedy show. The port in Fukuoka does have wifi and a little convenience store but generally it is boring and not very comfortable.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

At least, you can lie down and walk around freely on a ferry. Enjoy the view. Smoke if you like. I've not done the ferry to Busan, but I've taken the ferry between Matsuyama and Hiroshima a few times.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Does anyone know if it's okay to bring melatonin into Japan? I'd like to bring some for my jet lag this time around, but I always hear horror stories about people being fined or jailed for innocuous drugs... Melatonin is probably not a problem, but I'd like to have it confirmed.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

Does anyone know if it's okay to bring melatonin into Japan? I'd like to bring some for my jet lag this time around, but I always hear horror stories about people being fined or jailed for innocuous drugs... Melatonin is probably not a problem, but I'd like to have it confirmed.

I brought some back no problem, but it's utterly worthless otherwise. In fact, do you want some melatonin?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Forget melatonin, bring Ambien! It helped me there a lot!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

peanut posted:

At least, you can lie down and walk around freely on a ferry. Enjoy the view. Smoke if you like. I've not done the ferry to Busan, but I've taken the ferry between Matsuyama and Hiroshima a few times.

You can't do any of those things on the hydrofoils. It is kind of a neat experience but not very fun or relaxing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What level of dress do restaurants generally expect? I'm flying over next week and I gather it's going to be hot as balls so I'm mostly going to try and rock shorts and so on. If I want to go to some nice-ish restaurants, am I generally going to have to dress up?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Bold Robot posted:

What level of dress do restaurants generally expect? I'm flying over next week and I gather it's going to be hot as balls so I'm mostly going to try and rock shorts and so on. If I want to go to some nice-ish restaurants, am I generally going to have to dress up?

It has been my experience that nicer Japanese restaurants are less formal than the same thing would be in say NYC, but more formal than what the average American wears on a daily basis. In short, there aren't many places I've been with suit/jacket/tie/evening wear rules, but you will be out of place if you are wearing old or dirty, ragged, baggy clothing or are super overly casual. It's one of those things where for example jeans are okay, if they're clean, not wrinkly/ripped, very well cut/well tailored, not faded or frayed, etc.

Everyone dresses pretty nicely and neatly in general, so while shorts won't get you kicked out of most places, many Japanese don't seem to wear them.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
FYI in countries where shorts are unusual you can always wear linen trousers. They're stylish enough to get you into almost everywhere and don't get uncomfortable even at 40 degrees.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peak debt posted:

FYI in countries where shorts are unusual you can always wear linen trousers. They're stylish enough to get you into almost everywhere and don't get uncomfortable even at 40 degrees.

They do get wrinkled and filthy if you so much as look at them though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kind of a random question, but how common are Citibank ATMs, or just Citibank locations in general, in Tokyo?

Dmoz
Dec 3, 2005
Ad Hominem

Bold Robot posted:

Kind of a random question, but how common are Citibank ATMs, or just Citibank locations in general, in Tokyo?

Not very common at all, but they're around in most major areas - Shinjuku and Shibuya both have Citibank ATMs. In a pinch, Post Office ATMs will pretty much always work although the hours of ATMs are significantly curtailed compared to Citibank.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
They have them in the airports and the richer finance districts like Shinjuku and ginza

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Not super common, but enough you can get by fine if you are in central Tokyo. For a while 7/11 didn't accept MasterCard so I just used the CitiBank ATMs and never ran out of cash. I know of them in Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, Ginza, and Akasaka. I also used them in Osaka.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

There are apparently 43 in all of Japan. https://www.citibank.co.jp/en/banking/branch_atm/pdf/atm.pdf

Use 7-11 if you can, there are like 43 of them in just my neighborhood.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What about Chase? I don't think they have any international ATMs, but are they linked with something else?

I had been planning on bringing like $4000 or so just to be safe. One month.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

What about Chase? I don't think they have any international ATMs, but are they linked with something else?

I had been planning on bringing like $4000 or so just to be safe. One month.

Look at your card and see what networks are on there (visa, cirrus, etc.) I basically guarantee you that post and 7/11 ATMs are usable

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I exchanged Yen at home, got to Japan, then found out that withdrawing money from a 7/11 with my Kuwaiti bank card gave me a better exchange rate.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Aredna posted:

Not super common, but enough you can get by fine if you are in central Tokyo. For a while 7/11 didn't accept MasterCard so I just used the CitiBank ATMs and never ran out of cash. I know of them in Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, Ginza, and Akasaka. I also used them in Osaka.

As far as I know, MasterCard is still a no go. I tried to use one at 711 when I first got here (Kyoto) and even though a poster hanging right next to the ATM included MasterCard, the customer support line said they don't take 'em. I just stick to post office ATMs because it always works and they don't charge a bunch of fees.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Maestro is fine for 7/11 now, at least.

It's still really weird that big chain banks like Mizuho and Mitsubishi Ginkou and Resona don't accept debit cards and cc's. Like, 2014 fax machine usage weird. Is there any particular reason other than "it's Japan"?

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

As far as I know, MasterCard is still a no go. I tried to use one at 711 when I first got here (Kyoto) and even though a poster hanging right next to the ATM included MasterCard, the customer support line said they don't take 'em. I just stick to post office ATMs because it always works and they don't charge a bunch of fees.

Can confirm Citibank works with MasterCard. I just did a big withdrawal at the airport and used my card to pay for room when I could. Good thing I did if the ATMs don't loving work :(

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Shibawanko posted:

It's still really weird that big chain banks like Mizuho and Mitsubishi Ginkou and Resona don't accept debit cards and cc's. Like, 2014 fax machine usage weird. Is there any particular reason other than "it's Japan"?

I have no idea and it's loving stupid. When I was putzing around bangkok every bank took foreign cards. Even the lovely little portable street ATMs took them. You want to encourage tourist to spend but the three largest banks in the country (SMBC/UFJ/Mizuho) don't offer this aside from the currency exchange places they have scattered about. Tack on a couple hundred yen in fees and rake in the cash.

Mastercard works fine at 711 and Post.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was reading that it is a bad idea to exchange currency at the airport. So, how should I deal with my cash? I will use CC for hotels and things, but I know a lot of stuff will require cash and I'd rather have more than I need and exchange back when i go home.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I was reading that it is a bad idea to exchange currency at the airport. So, how should I deal with my cash? I will use CC for hotels and things, but I know a lot of stuff will require cash and I'd rather have more than I need and exchange back when i go home.

Dude use ATMs. This is what we're discussing. It's a little bit of a hassle because you can't use just any of them, but it's the best way by far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Dude use ATMs. This is what we're discussing. It's a little bit of a hassle because you can't use just any of them, but it's the best way by far.

How is it the best way?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

How is it the best way?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Dude use ATMs, it's the best way by far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How is using an ATM better than just exchanging cash? Are the fees lower?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

How is using an ATM better than just exchanging cash? Are the fees lower?

In my experience it was, and more importantly; ATMs are everywhere, while exchange offices are not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

darth cookie posted:

In my experience it was, and more importantly; ATMs are everywhere, while exchange offices are not.

Okay. Thanks. My plan was to just exchange all my cash at once. Multiple ATM trips wasn't something I'd planned. But if I will save money by doing so, I will figure out how. My bank doesn't have ATMs in Japan.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

Well the entire country is fanatically devoted to maintaining the status quo in large institutions, so a bank job is pretty much going to be the definition of security as long as you don't gently caress up royally. Trying something (anything) new is one of the few ways you can gently caress up royally without descending to stuff like getting caught sexually harassing the boss's dog or something.

So, without any incentive to do so, why would anyone in the banks want to stick their necks out?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Postal ATMs have a 30,000 ($300) daily limit, and very reasonable rates. I don't know the current ATM fee, but it's probably something like 250 ($2.50) and your home bank might charge another $2.00-3.00 on top of that.
I learned this the hard way after queuing up for exchange windows in a few different countries. Got owned by some honeymooners who pulled fat cash out of an ATM in 2 minutes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
ATM's are convenient but just beware of their exchange rates.

Even if you use Citibank global ATM service 0 fees, the rates are kinda poo poo. It's the daily spot rate and you can get huge variations over your holiday. Best bet is to just take out a huge chunk of money once like those honey mooners

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You've basically just told people to time the FX market (which is a shot in the dark at best) and given them an incentive to use ATMs more frequently... if the ATM service fee is 0, why not use it as many times as you want?

In any case I advise against carrying large amounts of cash anywhere in the world. With the prevalence of ATMs it doesn't make much sense.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The way I see it, each time you draw money out from an ATM you lose more money than usual. The 0 fee is actually a misnomer. On average I probably can get 2,000~3,000 yen more if I took out 100,000 yen all at once instead of 10,000 yen ten different times.

But that's just Citibank, my previous banks charge crazy fees and the rates were even worse. gently caress you HSBC.

Carrying *large* amounts of cash is actually fine if can spend it fast enough :downsrim: Japan is just crazy expensive though, you can easily blow USD 3,000 per person on food/transportation/shopping/duty free on a 7 day trip.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Shibawanko posted:

Madd0g11 posted:

Mastercard works fine at 711 and Post.

Well poo poo, I stand corrected! Thanks for the update, guys. :) This makes my life a little bit easier.

Waltzing Along posted:

My bank doesn't have ATMs in Japan.

Don't worry about your bank having ATMs here. Just do this:

LimburgLimbo posted:

Look at your card and see what networks are on there (visa, cirrus, etc.) I basically guarantee you that post and 7/11 ATMs are usable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

peanut posted:

Postal ATMs have a 30,000 ($300) daily limit, and very reasonable rates.

This limit is news to me because I pulled 100,000 out of one to buy my wife a kimono we found, no problem. The only limit I encountered was the withdrawal limit my Australian bank imposed, which was quickly raised with one phone call (because I was a dumb poo poo and didn't check it before I arrived in Japan).

Also; seconding that carrying cash is normal and I can't say I ever felt unsafe with wads of cash on me.

• Locked thread