Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I explain fat Vetinari by reminding myself that he's a graduate of the Assassins Guild. He's not above putting on weight and acting like an idiot to accomplish his goals.

That's what I always thought. If that was Vetinari then it would be very early on in his rule as Patrician. Pretending to be the normal sort of Patrician, which is to say corrupt, overly fond of fine foods and not hugely bright, would be a good survival strategy while he sets up the city to make himself indispensable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is he, canonically? I know he has the close relationship with Lady Margolotta, and a lot of the signs, but has that been confirmed?

Never stated, but I don't think ever denied either.

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you're dumb enough to think that Pratchett has been secretly hinting that Vetinari is a vampire throughout the series, Discworld might be a little over your reading level. You might want to check your Accelerated Reader list and make sure you don't go above a 4.3.

I don't seriously think it myself, but I know it's a fairly common wild-rear end guess.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Zephyrine posted:

Are we really sure of this or did Pratchet just change the characters features in later books?

I mean the dialogue between Rincewind and the Patrician where death lurks behind the corner certainly sounds like Vetinari.

I'm pretty sure Pterry's on record as basically saying "yeah whoops". But since basically any inconsistency can be explained away by Thief of Time, I just like to imagine that when the Uberwald clock shattered the fat patrician that occurred between Winder and Ventinari disappeared and nobody at the monastery cared enough to fix it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm pretty sure Pterry's on record as basically saying "yeah whoops". But since basically any inconsistency can be explained away by Thief of Time, I just like to imagine that when the Uberwald clock shattered the fat patrician that occurred between Winder and Ventinari disappeared and nobody at the monastery cared enough to fix it.

You mean between Snapcase and Vetinari?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Hedrigall posted:

You mean between Snapcase and Vetinari?

Probably, I didn't look up the patrician order before posting. :justpost:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Heh, there's an orangutan in charge of reading and writing in the new Planet of the Apes film. :3:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zephyrine posted:

Are we really sure of this or did Pratchet just change the characters features in later books?

There's lots in the first few books that just seems to disappear or get glossed over as Pratchett finds his feet later on. Heck Eske and all she did in Equal Rites is never really mentioned again and they even go back to the "Women can't do magic" Wizards from then on.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Fans posted:

There's lots in the first few books that just seems to disappear or get glossed over as Pratchett finds his feet later on. Heck Eske and all she did in Equal Rites is never really mentioned again and they even go back to the "Women can't do magic" Wizards from then on.

Yes she just vanished all together. So did most of the other students and the whole idea that it even is a form of school.

But that's mainly for the best in my opinion. Most students mini stories were just annoying me. But Eske vanishing all together was very unusual. Especially considering she had her own book.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Fans posted:

She has a very brief and kind of stupid cameo in a really late book.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wait, I thought Esk returned in I Shall Wear Midnight?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, I thought Esk returned in I Shall Wear Midnight?

Yes, she even had her own Wizard's staff, except she took the knob off the end because it didn't seem to serve any purpose :v:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

John Dough posted:

Yes, she even had her own Wizard's staff, except she took the knob off the end because it didn't seem to serve any purpose :v:

So much for the song...

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

John Dough posted:

Bah. Granny'd be ashamed of her. Anyone with any knowin' knows a wizards staff has a knob on the end. It'd be like bein' a witch without a black hat. Half the bein' is in other people knowin'. Otherwise they ain't gonna react properly.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

I have 4 of the newer Gollancz hardcover books (these) for anyone who wants them; I already own all four. No charge, except perhaps postage if it turns out to be more than I'm expecting - should be fine though. I'm only offering this to people in the UK, however.

Two of the books are fine (Eric, Sourcery), but the other two aren't: Interesting Times is printed upside down (too bad it wasn't The Last Continent...), and Moving Pictures has minor damage to the pages (might be fixable - I haven't tried).

Apologies for the poor picture quality.

All 4 books together:

Interesting Times, showing the upside down pages:

Moving Pictures, showing the page damage (might have gotten wet at some point in transit? It got to me in this condition, anyway):

If you're interested, PM me or give me an email address.

Edit: Only Moving Pictures is left now.

Crumpet fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 29, 2014

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Can i call dibs on Eric, my copy got lost several moves ago
Don't have PMs but my email is ir<username>@gmail.com

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm interested in Interesting Times, but I'm in another EU country. I could cover shipping via paypal or something.

PM sent.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

9th October

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Have we heard the name Bradshaw before? It sprung to mind as familiar but on reflection that may have been the giant gorilla and loving wife to Colonel Bradshaw in the Thursday Next books

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pidmon posted:

Have we heard the name Bradshaw before? It sprung to mind as familiar but on reflection that may have been the giant gorilla and loving wife to Colonel Bradshaw in the Thursday Next books

George Bradshaw wrote a fairly famous series of railway guides in the 19th Century about Britain and Europe, telling the reader about things en route, and what one could find at all the stops on the lines.

Bradshaw's Guide

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 29, 2014

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

I'm interested in Interesting Times, but I'm in another EU country. I could cover shipping via paypal or something.

PM sent.

Your PM inbox is full - delete a few and them PM me again.

On a side note, I recently learned that Gollancz did Good Omens in the same style as the discworld collection - a smooth cover rather than a rough one, however.

Also, Mrs (Georgina) Bradshaw appeared in Raising Steam, doing pretty much exactly what The_Doctor's post above me says.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pidmon posted:

Mrs Georgina Bradshaw was was hired by Moist to write accounts of her travels on the railway.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I am reading Making Money and I am finding it very boring. Seeing that it's pretty much the same story as Going Postal, which I just read. Should I continue or should I forget it and start a different discworld book? I am on chapter 4 or 5. He just got the Dog, met the evil step son and is now getting a tour of the bank for the secound time.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

DrNewton posted:

I am reading Making Money and I am finding it very boring. Seeing that it's pretty much the same story as Going Postal, which I just read. Should I continue or should I forget it and start a different discworld book? I am on chapter 4 or 5. He just got the Dog, met the evil step son and is now getting a tour of the bank for the secound time.

I didn't enjoy Making Money very much either. I think that was the point where I first realised his writing was starting to go downhill. Now that you've started you may as well finish it off though, it does get more exciting later in the book.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

DrNewton posted:

You could try I Shall Wear Midnight, but basically you've finished the series now, all the books after Making Money are poor. gently caress alzheimer's.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DrNewton posted:

I enjoyed it, but it was years since I'd read Going Postal so I didn't have that same feeling of it being basically the same story. If you want to be a completionist then finish it, but it's not one I'd pick out to recommend to anyone.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I enjoyed Making Money almost as much as I enjoyed Going Postal, which I enjoyed a lot. It is a bit of a retread but I enjoy Moist's character and modus operandi enough that it's a pleasure just seeing him do his thing.

Really, what falls down hardest for me about the post-Alzheimer's books is the failures of characterization, prose and dialogue much moreso than any breakdown in the plot (though Raising Steam's plot was pretty horrible). Making Money and to an extent Unseen Academicals are still in the zone where they didn't strike any false notes for me on those scores, so I was still able to enjoy them.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Dirty Frank posted:

You could try I Shall Wear Midnight, but basically you've finished the series now, all the books after Making Money are poor. gently caress alzheimer's.

Actually, Going Postal was my first Discworld Book. So I got a lot to read.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

DrNewton posted:

Actually, Going Postal was my first Discworld Book. So I got a lot to read.

You lucky bastard. The Watch or Witch books are sort of the go tos there but if you want straight shenanigans in the Going Postal sort of vein then Moving Pictures isn't a bad choice.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

the JJ posted:

You lucky bastard. The Watch or Witch books are sort of the go tos there but if you want straight shenanigans in the Going Postal sort of vein then Moving Pictures isn't a bad choice.

My sister gave me The colour of Magic, Equal rites, and The Last Continent. She had those laying around. I have Death's first book and Sam Vimes first book on hold at the library.

I think I will just charge through Making Money. I wanted to read all of the Moist books first but from I hear, the last one is a do not touch.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DrNewton posted:

I wanted to read all of the Moist books first but from I hear, the last one is a do not touch.

It's a "touch last, and only if you want to," I'd say. You may be able to take away some nice worldbuilding from it, like I did. The plot and characterization is pretty sad but it's not like your not reading it will cure Sir Terry's Alzheimer's, so you might as well read it someday if you want to.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Read them in publication order or you'll lose the effect of seeing Ankh Morpork grow up

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Total Meatlove posted:

Read them in publication order or you'll lose the effect of seeing Ankh Morpork grow up

This.

I've read nr 1-23 in order and doing it in a mixed order would make things really confusing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I read them: 8, 15, 19, 21, 24, 29, 25 (The Truth), 33 (Going Postal), 34 and am currently on 39 (all the Watch books). Am I doing it wrong?

I was meaning to check out Small Gods after Snuff, but I hear the audiobook version is abridged?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think you can do it wrong, but there are often a lot of cross references that you may miss at the time and might only click later, if at all. I started reading them in published order around 97, since then I've had more than enough time to go back and enjoy reading the guards/witches/death/rincewind lines in their own order to enjoy that.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

BurgerQuest posted:

I don't think you can do it wrong, but there are often a lot of cross references that you may miss at the time and might only click later, if at all. I started reading them in published order around 97, since then I've had more than enough time to go back and enjoy reading the guards/witches/death/rincewind lines in their own order to enjoy that.

The Wizards are pretty insufferable if you haven't had time to read up on the characters.

Which is a good example of the problem with the two cartoons.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
"By my oath, I'm not a man [to whatever]" son of a BITCH jackrum

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Snuff posted:

It was just his own human darkness and internal enemy, which knew his every thought, which knew that every time Commander Vimes dragged some vicious and inventive murderer to such mercy or justice as the law in its erratic wisdom determined, there was another Vimes, a ghost Vimes, whose urge to chop that creature into pieces on the spot had to be chained. This, regrettably, was harder every time, and he wondered if one day that darkness would break out and claim its heritage, and he wouldn't know ... the brakes and chains and doors and locks in his head would have vanished and he wouldn't know.
So this was definitely Pratchett talking about his Alzheimer's, right? :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pidmon posted:

"By my oath, I'm not a man [to whatever]" son of a BITCH jackrum

And that is why ole Jackie is my avatar.

I don't think the 3D artist really read the book, before you ask.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I just finished "The Fifth Elephant"

I can't believe that Indigo actually dies it all seemed like an obvious setup for him showing up in the end. I really like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

I just finished "The Fifth Elephant"

I can't believe that Indigo actually dies it all seemed like an obvious setup for him showing up in the end. I really like him.
Too bad. He's dead.