Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Damiya posted:

Scroogled again!!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pseudorandom name posted:

huh. a company with no music business got bought by a company with multiple music products and suddenly they're concerned with pissing off the music industry

weird

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:rip: twitch

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they also hit dota 2's the international tournament: http://www.twitch.tv/dota2ti/c/4700949

poo poo's hitting the fan and it's hilarious

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i still dont understand why people have a problem with their music being used in videos in the background or for some purpose other than just having the entire track available to rip. meanwhile there is another section of the company dedicated to getting as much radio airplay as possible.

some guys movie preview show that uses the trailers with the original soundtrack will find itself muted because someone thought that listening to a movie soundtrack clip is somehow depriving a label of money? gently caress off.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

the word "blog" was invented by a guy named dave winer, right? i seem to remember something like that

well at least its a better word than "weblog" was

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Thanks Ants posted:

i still dont understand why people have a problem with their music being used in videos in the background or for some purpose other than just having the entire track available to rip. meanwhile there is another section of the company dedicated to getting as much radio airplay as possible.

some guys movie preview show that uses the trailers with the original soundtrack will find itself muted because someone thought that listening to a movie soundtrack clip is somehow depriving a label of money? gently caress off.

broadcast fees are totally not a thing nope

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prefect posted:

the word "blog" was invented by a guy named dave winer, right? i seem to remember something like that

for like the first year of the word "blog" it was literally joke shorthand

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

yeah you know they get payed royalties for radio play right? and, like, movie soundtracks? its not a huge leap to see why labels are interested in people who use their music in money-generating videos. i'm not a proponent of the assumed-guilty auto detection scheme but the philosophy isn't ridiculous

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

yeah you know they get payed royalties for radio play right? and, like, movie soundtracks? its not a huge leap to see why labels are interested in people who use their music in money-generating videos. i'm not a proponent of the assumed-guilty auto detection scheme but the philosophy isn't ridiculous

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

im aware of the royalties thing, but theres a difference between background music and music being the main programming (e.g. radio). i'd imagine it's hard to get a computer to tell the difference, but muting half an hour of content because 30 seconds of music was detected is a bit medieval.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
blog is still an infinitely better word than vlog

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks Ants posted:

im aware of the royalties thing, but theres a difference between background music and music being the main programming (e.g. radio). i'd imagine it's hard to get a computer to tell the difference, but muting half an hour of content because 30 seconds of music was detected is a bit medieval.

twitch's vod function is dumb bullshit that probably cant handle anything more complicated than 30 minute chunks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Thanks Ants posted:

counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KfJHFWlhQ

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

also if you live in a free country that sort of thing is called "fair dealing" and it's explicitly legal

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

no copyrights intended!!!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

prefect posted:

better than being that atheist doofus that invented internet memes

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Unfortunately just about all streaming sites are poo poo. I think a lot of individual streamers who don't have any actual promotional ties are moving to hitbox, but I doubt you'll see some mass exodus from Twitch.

Copyright laws are pretty poo poo but oh well, Disney will spend literally however many billions of dollars it takes to make them worse every time their oldest properties come up on passing into the public domain (which is in the next 4-5 years I think BTW)

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

twitch's vod function is dumb bullshit that probably cant handle anything more complicated than 30 minute chunks

VODs are saved in FLV format, and platforms like mobile and console devices can’t playback that format.
As past broadcasts are saved in 30-minute chunks across multiple media servers, a single server maintenance or failure could prevent proper service of an entire VOD.
Extremely limited availability of transcodes on VODs.
Due to current storage requirements, past broadcasts can only be saved for 3 days without an explicit “save forever.”
We must save an entire past broadcast indefinitely if a highlight from it exists.

http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/08/update-changes-to-vods-on-twitch/

this entire article is loving hilarious in the worst way possible

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miley Virus posted:

VODs are saved in FLV format, and platforms like mobile and console devices can’t playback that format.
As past broadcasts are saved in 30-minute chunks across multiple media servers, a single server maintenance or failure could prevent proper service of an entire VOD.
Extremely limited availability of transcodes on VODs.
Due to current storage requirements, past broadcasts can only be saved for 3 days without an explicit “save forever.”
We must save an entire past broadcast indefinitely if a highlight from it exists.

http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/08/update-changes-to-vods-on-twitch/

this entire article is loving hilarious in the worst way possible

you forgot to mention that the save forever function fails about 5% of the time

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

you forgot to mention that the save forever function fails about 5% of the time

well luckily they're removing that then!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

i remember playing a flash game around 2003 where you were a palestinian suicide bomber and the goal was to kill and maim as many men, women and children as possible

compared to that those are practically edutainment

i remember one that protested the post-9/11 jingoism period where you were looking at an isomorphic view of a town with people walking around, a couple of which were terrorists. youd try to bomb the terrorists but that'd piss off anyone nearby and they'd turn into terrorists too. after a few strikes youd go from the couple terrorists in the crowd to all terrorists

idk if this is the same one your thinking of

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miley Virus posted:

like seriously, as it stood if you pressed the "save this forever butan" 5% of the time it would silently mark the video for deletion after the same period as videos would normally get deleted.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Progressive JPEG posted:

i remember one that protested the post-9/11 jingoism period where you were looking at an isomorphic view of a town with people walking around, a couple of which were terrorists. youd try to bomb the terrorists but that'd piss off anyone nearby and they'd turn into terrorists too. after a few strikes youd go from the couple terrorists in the crowd to all terrorists

idk if this is the same one your thinking of

i remember there was a flash game that was sort of set up like a total war game where you'd invade iraq and everything would go to poo poo immediately

it came out right around when we invaded and i'd love to see it again to see how prescient it was

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
heres a good iraq war game

https://archive.org/details/DesertStormTheAirCampaign_1020

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Necc0 posted:

prescient

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Miley Virus posted:

I suspect "Export to YouTube" will be the new "Save Forever"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pseudorandom name posted:

I suspect "Export to YouTube" will be the new "Save Forever"

that is what it is, and it lets u save larger continuous videos so

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

scroogled again

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

scroogled again

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

scroogled again

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

scroogled again

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Nob creming over here ungh

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

presents?? :buddy:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there was some desert storm? game that was vertical split screen of two bases and you had 2 tanks each
you could switch between then and if you shot up the enemy base it would do stuff like reduce their available fuel or ammo or take longer to switch between tanks

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

yep, all the vods are 30 minute flvs. if you watch one you'll notice a hiccup every 30 minutes since it doesn't preload the next chunk.

also the audio muting is done in the twitch player so if you use a tool like http://www.twitchtools.com/video-download.php the audio is still there in the source flv

you'd think they would have at least given people a little warning about muting the majority of vods

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if they had to actually remove audio on the whole file or individual section their poo poo would probalby just break completely, i'm sure it can barely handle setting "hey let's mute it is that cool?" flags for the player

also if the monitoring system is anything like the video playback it won't realize a live stream is playing copyright music until 40 minutes later

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i'm sure it can barely handle setting "hey let's mute it is that cool?" flags for the player

from the games thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

• Locked thread