Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If they are so happy why won't they breed in captivity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

I can 100% guarantee the domestication of raccoons and bears will be beneficial for mankind.

The Alabama congressional delegation gave the Coolidges a raccoon for Thanksgiving, intending them to eat it, but Grace took to it instead and kept it as a pet for a few years. It was eventually donated to the Washington Zoo because it kept clawing up people's stockings.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
I thought it was Mississippi that gave them the raccoon.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kilty Monroe posted:

I thought it was Mississippi that gave them the raccoon.

You're right. I'm sorry if I offended the fine people of Alabama.

(i'm not at all sorry)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

We are actually driving all the other great apes into extinction.

Edit Responses:

1)
2) But if you were a survivalist after SHTF you might change your mind about Fido. 'Marriage' was being euphemistic - 'mating' works too and preserves my mnemonic!

First, I'm unsure whether you've seen many feral dogs in regions still dependent upon sustinance agriculture. Dogs are not great sources of protein; their meat often contains lethal pathogens, like worms. Fat dogs are a relatively recent invention of agriculture; as they should be. Now which is more likely to apply evolutionary pressure upon an animal with great olfactory senses: associating the smell of humans and injury, and thus ending predation, or associating humans with....food? Why would a human give an animal food that the human could eat? What, did dogs just live off human feces? As far as I'm aware, the agricultural methods which took hold had enhanced production when individuals shat in the fields. So why would you let this mangry mut take your future calories? Dogs truly are a poor source of calories during sustinance agriculture.

Ice age was relatively recent, and took several millenia to reach glacial maximum in approximately 20,000 BCE. During Glacial maximum, the bi-polar cycle was disrupted and led to the emergence of a stable, 'wet' saharan land route to the Eurasian and Asian continents. Yes, mega-fauna went extinct in part through human hunts.

Domestication lies within breeding a disruption into the process of oxidative phosphorylation - a process whicg lowers calorie use during periods of perceived threat, influenced by hormone production.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

You're right. I'm sorry if I offended the fine people of Alabama.

(i'm not at all sorry)

Take Back Are Stolen History

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just as well, raccoon meat is lousy with parasites.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SedanChair posted:

They're p useless
David Plotz sock puppet account spotted.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
giraffes are good creatures with calming, gentle eyes and i would like to have one in my menagerie some day

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'd like to have a mini giraffe, about the size of a donkey as a pet. He'd crane his neck to eat from a low-hanging orchard and we'd spend afternoons lazily reconnoitering my yard.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

comes along bort posted:

I'd like to have a mini giraffe, about the size of a donkey as a pet. He'd crane his neck to eat from a low-hanging orchard and we'd spend afternoons lazily reconnoitering my yard.

When you say about the size of a donkey, how do you envision that? Like, donkey-size body and so only about ten-fifteen feet tall total, or like, the whole animal is five feet tall?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

MariusLecter posted:

Just as well, raccoon meat is lousy with parasites.

Seriously, raccoons are vermin. When they're hungry enough they'll break into homes and attack pets and people with their disease-needle teeth.

If you managed to rear one from birth then good for you, I guess. Back home I've heard stories of one killing a doberman and then biting the arm of a lady so badly that she needed surgery to extract the teeth.

If your local zoo managed to snare a few of them, watch them there.

gently caress Raccoons would be my point, if I had to sum it up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The recent raccoon documentary that hit theaters a week ago should be all the proof anybody needs that raccoons are very dangerous.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

i kind of like watching those youtubes of the old beardlord dancing with his pet raccoon

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Raccoon meat's juicy and delicious you savages. But if your roommate leaves melon rinds out on the porch, five raccoons will descend from the trees and throwing a wooden birdhouse at one of their backs will not deter even one of them; they will just calmly look at you and wait for you to leave

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Raccoon meat's juicy and delicious you savages. But if your roommate leaves melon rinds out on the porch, five raccoons will descend from the trees and throwing a wooden birdhouse at one of their backs will not deter even one of them; they will just calmly look at you and wait for you to leave

If you have guns, this never happen.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

SedanChair posted:

Raccoons, like horses, are just smart enough to be evil and hate humans.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What the gently caress do you do with the dead raccoon, then?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Horses are really the worst. They're enormous, incredibly strong, and scared of loving everything. They will murder you by accident because something 1/1000th their size moved too quickly in their peripheral vision.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chantilly Say posted:

What the gently caress do you do with the dead raccoon, then?

SedanChair posted:

Raccoon meat's juicy and delicious you savages.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

growing up i did horseback riding until i came down on my ballsack while posting. gently caress riding horses.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought somebody just said they were full of parasites and diseases? I'd be down to try raccoon shank or whatever if it's not going to give me giardia.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chantilly Say posted:

I thought somebody just said they were full of parasites and diseases? I'd be down to try raccoon shank or whatever if it's not going to give me giardia.

SedanChair said it was tasty, and SedanChair was complaining about the varmints, so I offered the natural solution. That is not to prejudge the wisdom of eating raccoon.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

When you say about the size of a donkey, how do you envision that? Like, donkey-size body and so only about ten-fifteen feet tall total, or like, the whole animal is five feet tall?

The latter, but maybe a bit larger so that his head is about the same height as mine so I can more easily serenade him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fuckin city firearm ordinance.

Landlady: "sedanchair let me use one of your guns"

me: "why X 1000"

landlady: "there's a raccoon on the fence it's the one that ate my chicken"

me: "you've never shot a gun"

landlady: "just let me use it for a minute"

:ughh:

e: also, gently caress a horse

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Somehow despite living a city I have raccoons in my neighborhood. At night they call to each other in these horrible gurgling voices, and when they're on the ground they move in an awkward shamble not unlike the albino super-gorillas from the film Congo. It is the creepiest loving thing :gonk:

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Swan Oat posted:

growing up i did horseback riding until i came down on my ballsack while posting. gently caress riding horses.

A young goon makes use of the early Nokia 3300 Awful App and it results in karmic punishment. Too bad you didn't listen.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I do some environmental monitoring in wetland sites and there's nothing creepier than finding raccoon tracks in the mind. Their evil little almost human hands. Plus they try to eat all the endangered birds.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

cafel posted:

there's nothing creepier than finding raccoon tracks in the mind

:catstare:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Er... mud. Hopefully in the mud.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wolfsheim posted:

Somehow despite living a city I have raccoons in my neighborhood. At night they call to each other in these horrible gurgling voices, and when they're on the ground they move in an awkward shamble not unlike the albino super-gorillas from the film Congo. It is the creepiest loving thing :gonk:

not nearly as bad as possums. if you scare a possum it shits itself as a defense mechanism. i've been outside, smoking a cig, at night, before, and startled a possum then the drat thing released like two kilos of poo poo and my porch smelled like poo poo for a month. they also have glands or something that spray poo poo-smelling pheremones, to ward off predators. satan hellfuck possums

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i have literally watched a possum freeze up and spray liquid feces all over my girlfriend's bike because i said "sup dude" at it i hate those loving things

like i had to carry sautee pans of water outside to rinse off the bike because we didn't have a hose handy while the possum is hiding under my car merrily making GBS threads itself to death, god damnit

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 7, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Possums make godawful amounts of noise when they're fighting or loving too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
motherfuck possums

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Conversely giant pandas should be exterminated asap.

I'm sorry pandas but eating bamboo was a niche that did not need to be filled.

You shut the gently caress up, you monster. "Kung Fu Panda" is a great franchise.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

paragon1 posted:

it's

its

?

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Thanatosian posted:

Horses are really the worst. They're enormous, incredibly strong, and scared of loving everything. They will murder you by accident because something 1/1000th their size moved too quickly in their peripheral vision.

You forgot incredibly fragile, too. Oh god the legs.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Also, they can't throw up. Their stomachs will rupture first.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

Seriously, raccoons are vermin. When they're hungry enough they'll break into homes and attack pets and people with their disease-needle teeth.

If you managed to rear one from birth then good for you, I guess. Back home I've heard stories of one killing a doberman and then biting the arm of a lady so badly that she needed surgery to extract the teeth.

If your local zoo managed to snare a few of them, watch them there.

gently caress Raccoons would be my point, if I had to sum it up.

So in short, you're saying 1) raccoons aren't good eats, 2) raccoons aren't good pets, and 3) raccoons are good for sex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there an Eripsa thread going right now, or did he leave/get banned again?

• Locked thread