Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I know I said it before, but holy poo poo home insurance quotes are all over the place. I've just been doing online ones before I start talking to actual agents, but they're just insane. My mortgage guy was "expecting" around $100/month but I've only had one quote even remotely close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

fknlo posted:

I know I said it before, but holy poo poo home insurance quotes are all over the place. I've just been doing online ones before I start talking to actual agents, but they're just insane. My mortgage guy was "expecting" around $100/month but I've only had one quote even remotely close to that.

Without flood insurance, I was able to get a $900/yr quote for decent insurance through USAA while everyone else's comparable quotes were at least a couple hundred more. My mortgage guy asked who I can only imagine is his friend for a quote and he responded with $1000/yr but with 3/5 the liability and medical payments. However, USAA's car insurance here is outrageous and at least an extra $100 a month for the same rate. I don't get it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fknlo posted:

I would recommend to stop doing this and talk to a local independent insurance agent. I pay 480 dollars a year for homeowners insurance from a local insurance company that only writes policies in Texas for newer construction homes... therefore it's almost half price from what I was paying Allstate before I switched.

I know folks in our generation want to go to the internet for everything, but some things, like insurance are still better left to the professionals who have access to resources you don't.

Another good resource is if your state department of insurance provides sample rates given certain criteria. For instance, I can go to the Texas website, plug in my county, zip, age of home, and other settings and get a list of sample rates. Then I know to reach out to the 3 or 4 cheapest companies. Farmers is the cheapest on the list, Allstate, USAA and State Farm are all towards the more expensive end of the spectrum.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Insurance companies have actuaries (bean counters) who want to expose the company only to a certain degree in different markets. Part of what you pay for your homeowner's insurance is just the normal relatively-random chance that your house will burn down, but part is based on your neighborhood/city/region - things like crime rates and income levels and so on. If Company A is looking to add more properties to their portfolio in your area while Company B already has a lot of properties in your area, Company A might offer a much better rate than Company B.

Or at least, that's how it was explained to me by my broker.

Also when comparing online, you may not be doing apples-to-apples comparisons of policies.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I switched from State Farm to American National when I bought my house. The car insurance is a good bit more, but the homeowners was a *lot* cheaper than what SF was quoting me, and that's with a million dollar umbrella tacked on (I have a pool). I've since sold our beater, so I think the gap has widened even more.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So we've had our offer accepted on this foreclosed home, very nice price and a pretty easy repair job overall (just flooring, painting, and drywall patching; all things that my wife and I are already good at). We've been working through a local bank to get our mortgage, but the bank that owns the foreclosure is also requiring that we get a prequal letter from the internal lending service, but after that we're free to go with whoever we want. However, if we go with them then the foreclosure-holding bank "can" pay up to $5k in closing costs and "can" pay for some or all of the lender-required repairs, so basiclaly they're suggesting that there may be an incentive (no guarantees) that I assume we'd negotiate later. I don't mind getting the prequal letter either way, but:

A) What kind of repairs does a lender usually require? Are we talking about only major issues, like pipe replacement, roof replacement, etc. and not minor things like drywall patching?

B) Does anyone have any experience with using the foreclosure-holding bank as a lender? Is this generally a good idea, bad idea, or what?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

skipdogg posted:

I would recommend to stop doing this and talk to a local independent insurance agent. I pay 480 dollars a year for homeowners insurance from a local insurance company that only writes policies in Texas for newer construction homes... therefore it's almost half price from what I was paying Allstate before I switched.

I know folks in our generation want to go to the internet for everything, but some things, like insurance are still better left to the professionals who have access to resources you don't.

Another good resource is if your state department of insurance provides sample rates given certain criteria. For instance, I can go to the Texas website, plug in my county, zip, age of home, and other settings and get a list of sample rates. Then I know to reach out to the 3 or 4 cheapest companies. Farmers is the cheapest on the list, Allstate, USAA and State Farm are all towards the more expensive end of the spectrum.

Keep in mind that when you're talking to an insurance agent, he gets a pretty solid commission on your policy in perpetuity. You're paying for this in the premiums. They don't really add much value unless you have some insanely complicated life situation.

When buying a home, many mortgage companies require A rated companies for a reason. Some cheap fly by night insurance company may decide to close up shop if a disaster hits a region they insure.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

So we've had our offer accepted on this foreclosed home, very nice price and a pretty easy repair job overall (just flooring, painting, and drywall patching; all things that my wife and I are already good at). We've been working through a local bank to get our mortgage, but the bank that owns the foreclosure is also requiring that we get a prequal letter from the internal lending service, but after that we're free to go with whoever we want. However, if we go with them then the foreclosure-holding bank "can" pay up to $5k in closing costs and "can" pay for some or all of the lender-required repairs, so basiclaly they're suggesting that there may be an incentive (no guarantees) that I assume we'd negotiate later. I don't mind getting the prequal letter either way, but:

A) What kind of repairs does a lender usually require? Are we talking about only major issues, like pipe replacement, roof replacement, etc. and not minor things like drywall patching?

B) Does anyone have any experience with using the foreclosure-holding bank as a lender? Is this generally a good idea, bad idea, or what?

If this was an FHA foreclosure I'd be able to tell you more, but yeah, the stuff they required me to do was stuff like 'replace the 20 year old roof that's missing shingles and is falling apart, replace rotten screen door trim, T&P valve on water heater' stuff like that. We ended up doing a lot more than just what was required, but I think an FHA loan/foreclosure is going make you do more than a 'conventional' foreclosure.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Offer accepted! Holy poo poo we're buying a house.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

HKR posted:

Offer accepted! Holy poo poo we're buying a house.

Has this thread taught you nothing?!

But seriously, congrats.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
HOA docs for the house we want has rules for how many pets you can have. Well, that sounds reasonable, don't want people with like 15 cats that roam the property!

Whats that? The limit is 2? Total? Huh, so what do I do with the 4 I already have?! Guess we might not buy this house after all!

loving HOAs. Why are there so many HOAs in Palm Springs/Desert/Indio?!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So they want $150,000 and we offered $143 with them paying $3k in costs. They counter with $150,000 and $2k in costs..wtf

Should I counter or just walk away? We want the house and the houses like it are all selling for $147k or so, and I don't want to tap out the amount of our loan just to get a house. Buying a house is loving stressful.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

Insurance goon here to say that what another poster alluded to is right. Sometimes Company A is looking for more policies, sometimes Company B isn't so you'll get different rates. You also have to remember, a lot of the preferred carriers use credit to varying degrees based on the state you're in. If you're credit is terrible, you may get a great rate with certain companies over others. The difference is the companies tend to run the credit in the mean time and jack up the rates later-or they may not! Its a gamble! But if you're hitting the Big Companies, having a good credit score, solid insurance history, and few claims are going to help you a lot more than the type of house you're getting.

How has your experience been so far?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jastiger posted:

So they want $150,000 and we offered $143 with them paying $3k in costs. They counter with $150,000 and $2k in costs..wtf

Should I counter or just walk away? We want the house and the houses like it are all selling for $147k or so, and I don't want to tap out the amount of our loan just to get a house. Buying a house is loving stressful.

If houses in the area are selling for 147K why the hell would they take your 140K(net) offer? That doesn't make sense or seem reasonable. It's a reasonable counter if houses are indeed selling for 147, expecting you to counter again. Offer 147 with 2K in closing cost assistance.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

skipdogg posted:

If houses in the area are selling for 147K why the hell would they take your 140K(net) offer? That doesn't make sense or seem reasonable. It's a reasonable counter if houses are indeed selling for 147, expecting you to counter again. Offer 147 with 2K in closing cost assistance.

That is exactly what we did. Well every other house on the block is bigger and sold for more in the last few years. The two story next door sold for $148K and it had a few hundred square feet more, and was about 6 years newer.

I think the house is honestly worth about $145k. It assessed for $140 with the city and larger houses went for $145-$150. We'll see what they say.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

That is exactly what we did. Well every other house on the block is bigger and sold for more in the last few years. The two story next door sold for $148K and it had a few hundred square feet more, and was about 6 years newer.

I think the house is honestly worth about $145k. It assessed for $140 with the city and larger houses went for $145-$150. We'll see what they say.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, giving up several hundred square feet for no appreciable change in cost?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, giving up several hundred square feet for no appreciable change in cost?

They stuck to their guns and finally came down to $149K and offered 2.5k in closing costs, giving a net cost of $146.5k.

Its totally doable but....our monthly expenses wouldn't go down as its slightly above our budget. We're paying about $1150 a month to rent, this place would cost $1179 to own.

We really don't know what to do.

We are really hesitant. We have an OK savings for contingents and are sure some stuff would be coming down due to the inspection. Should we spring for more house or wait out for another one?

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 8, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

If this was an FHA foreclosure I'd be able to tell you more, but yeah, the stuff they required me to do was stuff like 'replace the 20 year old roof that's missing shingles and is falling apart, replace rotten screen door trim, T&P valve on water heater' stuff like that. We ended up doing a lot more than just what was required, but I think an FHA loan/foreclosure is going make you do more than a 'conventional' foreclosure.

I don't know if the foreclosure is FHA or conventional. We're taking out a conventional loan, is that what you mean?

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Jastiger posted:

They stuck to their guns and finally came down to $149K and offered 2.5k in closing costs, giving a net cost of $146.5k.

Its totally doable but....our monthly expenses wouldn't go down as its slightly above our budget. We're paying about $1150 a month to rent, this place would cost $1179 to own.

We are really hesitant. We have an OK savings for contingents and are sure some stuff would be coming down due to the inspection. Should we spring for more house or wait out for another one?

How long has the home been on the market?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know if the foreclosure is FHA or conventional. We're taking out a conventional loan, is that what you mean?

Yeah, I suppose so. The foreclosure we bought was a HUD owned home and we used an FHA loan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Foreclosures are foreclosures. If you were taking an FHA loan, there would be extra requirements for "habitability" of the house you are buying, including stuff like "must have basic appliances" and "can't have any exposed wiring" and stuff like that. Since foreclosures are bank-owned and banks tend to sell the house "as-is", it can be an obstacle at times.

We still were able to buy a foreclosure with an FHA loan, mind you. But we saw a handful of houses that would not have passed FHA inspection.

Jastiger posted:

I feel like if your budget is so tight that an extra fifty bucks a month one way or another is a serious problem for you, then you are way overspending on your house. You should have like a few hundred bucks margin in your monthly budget, at least, just to cover unexpected home-ownership costs.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Jastiger posted:

Recall that rent is a cap and mortgage/escrow/insurance is a floor. For the increased risk you're taking you probably can't afford to buy a house just yet.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

But we saw a handful of houses that would not have passed FHA inspection.

This is one of the things a 203k loan is for. Huge pain though, about done with ours, thank god.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bartkusa posted:

How long has the home been on the market?

A little over 3 months.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Recall that rent is a cap and mortgage/escrow/insurance is a floor. For the increased risk you're taking you probably can't afford to buy a house just yet.

What do you mean by this?

Leperflesh posted:

Foreclosures are foreclosures. If you were taking an FHA loan, there would be extra requirements for "habitability" of the house you are buying, including stuff like "must have basic appliances" and "can't have any exposed wiring" and stuff like that. Since foreclosures are bank-owned and banks tend to sell the house "as-is", it can be an obstacle at times.

We still were able to buy a foreclosure with an FHA loan, mind you. But we saw a handful of houses that would not have passed FHA inspection.

I feel like if your budget is so tight that an extra fifty bucks a month one way or another is a serious problem for you, then you are way overspending on your house. You should have like a few hundred bucks margin in your monthly budget, at least, just to cover unexpected home-ownership costs.

It isn't a serious problem like "we won't be able to pay it" its more "we don't WANT to pay it". We make well beyond what we are budgetting for a monthly expense, we just want to save money, build equity, and be able to have some stability for our daughter. I'm aware that the extra costs come with a house, and I'm willing to pay them to get those intangibles. To offset that, we're willing to get a little less house than we can really afford.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Jastiger posted:

I think he means when you're renting, your rent is a fixed monthly cost. When you own, your mortgage payment is a minimum that you will spend, because of things like appliances that break, landscaping that dies, pipes that burst, wiring to replace, etc. You don't have to spend extra to maintain a rental property (and if you were, you were doing something wrong). When I rented and stuff broke, even if I "paid" to fix it, it got taken off my rent that I paid to the landlord, because it saved him the trip to fix it. Now that I own, if something breaks I've got to pay for it.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

It means that rent is the maximum you need to pay every month (landlord is responsible for the furnace exploding, roof leaking, etc). House payment is the minimum you need to pay every month. You're responsible for the stuff that goes wrong, and regular maintenance and stuff that goes wrong happens with every house.

I've heard 0.5% to 1.5% of the house price annually is a good thing to plan for, depending on the age of your big ticket items and I'm sure the cost of living in your area/how "luxury" your house is and your desire to keep up appearances (landscaping, paint, driveway sealing etc.).

Once you buy a house, everything is slowly and inexorably wearing out. You will eventually replace (if you have the following) the roof, boiler/furnace, hot water heater, we'll pump, A/C, appliances, windows, paint, driveway. That's the minimum, not accounting for any improvements you want to make or other things that will wear out but aren't life or death (you can live with lovely carpet or scratched up hardwood and old furniture, for example).

That's what the monthly expense is for, either fixing what breaks or saving for big-ticket items. You should know the rough replacement cost of all the essentials, their approximate life, and their age before going into a house. Then plan to spend that over maybe 5, 10, 15, 20 years (unless everything has just been replaced). If you don't have the monthly budget for that, you are going in at significant risk.

Sorry to be the harbinger of sorrow, it's cool when you can pull it off but just don't go in with blinders on thinking your principal, interest, taxes, and insurance is going to be your fixed housing cost.

Building equity is a terrible reason to buy a house IMO.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

uwaeve posted:

It means that rent is the maximum you need to pay every month (landlord is responsible for the furnace exploding, roof leaking, etc). House payment is the minimum you need to pay every month. You're responsible for the stuff that goes wrong, and regular maintenance and stuff that goes wrong happens with every house.

I've heard 0.5% to 1.5% of the house price annually is a good thing to plan for, depending on the age of your big ticket items and I'm sure the cost of living in your area/how "luxury" your house is and your desire to keep up appearances (landscaping, paint, driveway sealing etc.).

Once you buy a house, everything is slowly and inexorably wearing out. You will eventually replace (if you have the following) the roof, boiler/furnace, hot water heater, we'll pump, A/C, appliances, windows, paint, driveway. That's the minimum, not accounting for any improvements you want to make or other things that will wear out but aren't life or death (you can live with lovely carpet or scratched up hardwood and old furniture, for example).

That's what the monthly expense is for, either fixing what breaks or saving for big-ticket items. You should know the rough replacement cost of all the essentials, their approximate life, and their age before going into a house. Then plan to spend that over maybe 5, 10, 15, 20 years (unless everything has just been replaced). If you don't have the monthly budget for that, you are going in at significant risk.

Sorry to be the harbinger of sorrow, it's cool when you can pull it off but just don't go in with blinders on thinking your principal, interest, taxes, and insurance is going to be your fixed housing cost.

Building equity is a terrible reason to buy a house IMO.

Ah yeah ok that makes sense. I guess I kind of knew that in a sense.

Yeah we had calculated all of that out. We pay about $1150 or so in rent and can afford probably $1350 if need be, more so once the wife starts working full time in earnest. Our goal was to take that extra $200 (at LEAST, will increase over time as other bills are paid) and put it into a savings account in a separate bank to be used only for house repairs and upkeep. The roof is new, the furnace will need to be replaced in probably 3 to 5 years, and everything else was put in pretty new within the last few years so we think that plan will work for us going forward. I didn't know that the 1.5% was a good rule, and we were going to end up right in there.

Its tough we are picky on what we want, and the houses we want are either too old, in a terrible neighborhood, or have something otherwise wrong with them. We finally find one we like and bam, the sellers won't budge. We don't know whether to go for it, and take a bit higher cost, or bank on getting the extra VA military grants to lower the price...or go in as is and have a higher payment.

Or to go back and wait, and possibly mess up our moving plans by forcing us to renew the lease:(

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You used the phrase "build equity", so I will point out that you are only "building equity" if the amount you pay to principal each month exceeds the amount you spend on upkeep. You are expecting to spend $200/month on upkeep, but with a 30 year $118k loan at 3.7% you are only putting $180 or so to principal at first. You won't even start "building equity" until year 3. And that's assuming the market value of the house doesn't change. Just putting things in perspective a little bit.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

slap me silly posted:

You used the phrase "build equity", so I will point out that you are only "building equity" if the amount you pay to principal each month exceeds the amount you spend on upkeep. You are expecting to spend $200/month on upkeep, but with a 30 year $118k loan at 3.7% you are only putting $180 or so to principal at first. You won't even start "building equity" until year 3. And that's assuming the market value of the house doesn't change. Just putting things in perspective a little bit.

Good point, good point. We sat down and did a budget and it would save us money over the long term, but would absolutely be a bigger commitment.

Our costs will be about the same, but we'll have a much higher sanity value for both of us.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bought a house and I'm not sorry, but it has definitely cost me $thousands per year more than I expected to spend when I bought it. So have a good buffer zone.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

slap me silly posted:

I bought a house and I'm not sorry, but it has definitely cost me $thousands per year more than I expected to spend when I bought it. So have a good buffer zone.

Yeah, that is the only thing I'm going to focus on. We make enough money to have a good buffer now, once the wife is working full time it'll be gravy.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

There is always another house. I bought in a very hot market, and it took a few houses that I loved getting bought out from under me by cash offers before I could accept that. Looking back, I'm really glad I didn't get some of those houses that I was so sure I loved before.

You're actually in an even better position. This house has been on the market for 3 months. You can walk away for a while and time will do the bargaining for you. If they get a sucker to take their price in the meantime, well, that guy's a sucker and you aren't.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 9, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well. We were ready to walk away so we threw out an offer at 148k with 2.5k n closing. Closing costs for us will be about 1.8k.

Well....they accepted it.

So poo poo. I guess we got the house for an end cost of 145.5. Ok then.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Jastiger posted:

an end cost

Heh. The costs never end. I already feel jaded and I just went through this entire process last month.

On a positive note, got a second quote from a master plumber with 30 years experience who quoted me $400 parts and labor to replace the leaky pipes I posted about. A lot better than $1,200 "TODAY" (gently caress you, Precision plumbing) or $12,000 for a whole-house re-plumb.

So I'll be out about $400, but have the peace of mind some lovely pipes are getting taken care of, and not down more than a grand. :toot:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 11, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that sounds more like it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought my house in Nov 2011 and by my back of the envelope calculations I've spent around $600/mo in general repairs and upgrades since then.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pfft. I've spent over 600 bucks this year just on my grass. GRASS!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stop you're scaring me.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

a shameful boehner posted:

Heh. The costs never end. I already feel jaded and I just went through this entire process last month.

On a positive note, got a second quote from a master plumber with 30 years experience who quoted me $400 parts and labor to replace the leaky pipes I posted about. A lot better than $1,200 "TODAY" (gently caress you, Precision plumbing) or $12,000 for a whole-house re-plumb.

So I'll be out about $400, but have the peace of mind some lovely pipes are getting taken care of, and not down more than a grand. :toot:

The Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department arrested a local man for taking advantage of an elderly woman by charging her almost $8K for a plumbing job that took four hours to complete.

http://oxfordeagle.com/2014/08/plumber-plunges-out-8k-from-elderly-woman/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

Me and my fiance bought our house at 27. Guess we are in the clear :downs:

I left the first house buying until this year and I'm 38. However starting my business was more important to me than a house. It's only really in the past year that a lot of the uncertainty has disappeared.