Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Does this mean I should pack Tanis and Malandrax with me? Or should I just bring the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

OmegaGoo posted:

Does this mean I should pack Tanis and Malandrax with me? Or should I just bring the box?

I'm bringing my whole set...take that for what you will.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I played in the goon game of Archipelago last year and really liked it but it's a bit too heavy for my usual group and I haven't gotten a chance to play since. As long as that's happening any time other than when I'm Netrunner drafting on Friday, I'd love to play again.

I also own a copy of BattleCon:Devastation that I've never played; if someone's willing to teach it I'd be down for that as well.

I'll have a couple Netrunner decks with me if anyone's looking for some pick-up games.

My GenCon buddy is a non-goon so his willingness to go meet some internet strangers will probably impact my ability to make it out for the drinkup on Thursday (we may go do Ron Swanson impersonations at St Elmo's that night instead).

10 days!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Trynant posted:

Also, any BattleCON fans? I'm interested in games of that as well.

As I mentioned, I'm playing in the BattleCON tournament on Saturday! :D and I'm always up for a game of it with people.

I may bring Gloom along. I don't know if anyone is familiar but I'm down to teach and it's such a fun game.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'll actually be working at GenCon this year so I hope to see you all there. I'll be diving into the Fantasy Flight stuff this yeae, especially Warhammer40k.

Let's get drunk afterwards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So, the hotel room I thought I had is not the hotel room that I have. Finding out now is a bit of a problem, as one might imagine.

I'm inquiring to see if anybody is willing to have a fellow goon crash in their room. I'm willing to pay my share for a room, plus a little extra. I don't snore that I'm told of and am fine with crashing on the floor. I have my own ride to tool around in. Meeting up when necessary can be coordinated by cell. I'm looking to show up Wednesday evening if feasible. Goon and non-goon references can be provided. I clean myself like a civilized person and have no beard on my neck and no fedora on my head. (It's okay if you have either, tho.) I care too much about Palladium Books but am otherwise pretty inoffensive.

If anybody can help and is comfortable with doing so, please me know here or by PM.

He finally got back to me. Doesn't sound like I can help out. Sorry.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Len posted:

He finally got back to me. Doesn't sound like I can help out. Sorry.

Alright, thanks for trying.

If anybody else can help, let me know as soon as possible.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As much as you would probably not want to do this, asking on the official forums seems to work for a fair number of people looking for rooms. Though I have not looked at the official forums since like late May so maybe the backlog has hit by now. I will go look right now!

My accommodations being 75% introverts every year means there is a 0% chance of agreeing to let someone else stay with us unless everyone already knows her/him, or else I would consider it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I may be able to help you out. The guy I was going to share a room with might be bailing for work reasons. I have a two bed at the Wyndham Indianapolis West. The other couple in our group booked the rooms so I'll need to run it by them.

Shoot me a PM with your first name if you can.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You can stay at my house, I'm about 3 miles north of the con and have a couple other goons staying with me already. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know anything about "Tales After the Cataclysm"? I got a ticket for it's demo but can't find anything about the game online. http://www.genconplanner.com/2014/event/NMN1463898

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
GenConPlanner.com, proof of how awesome this convention is.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
GenCon High Programmer is better.

(folds arms)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SirFozzie posted:

GenCon High Programmer is better.

(folds arms)
Oh I have never even heard of GenConPlanner.com before just now; I used GenCon.HighProgrammer.com just today to add all my events to my Google Calendar. I am a fan.

I am a fan of anyone who does anything to improve THIS MAGNIFICENT EVENT

Anyone have any pictures of an event in progress at the convention for the benefit of the Wikipedia page better than that stupid picture of a guy with a funny hat standing on a chair?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I will gladly take some this year that you are free to use in your hopeless effort to replace that terrible picture.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Quarex posted:

Oh I have never even heard of GenConPlanner.com before just now; I used GenCon.HighProgrammer.com just today to add all my events to my Google Calendar. I am a fan.

I am a fan of anyone who does anything to improve THIS MAGNIFICENT EVENT

Anyone have any pictures of an event in progress at the convention for the benefit of the Wikipedia page better than that stupid picture of a guy with a funny hat standing on a chair?

I have my GenCon set on Flickr if you want it. They should all be marked creative commons.
Edit: And no, I'm not apologizing for the hats. We're massive dork lords.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was sitting in the convention center last week for a thing for work. I walked by the dealer hall longingly.....

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I always bring Space Alert to Gencon.

I hate teaching the game (as I've done it about a million times now) and usually look for experienced players, but the esteemed Professor Shyguy has asked me to teach it to him, so if anyone has been wanting to learn (and with an Internet pseudo-celebrity, no less), please shoot me a PM.

It will probably be Friday morning or Saturday morning/early afternoon.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Have they started setting up have they have they hmm hmm hmm?

In all seriousness, it amazes me how much change the center goes through the week of gencon, and in sad retrospect, how empty the place feels on monday.

Oh, and Happy "Reservations get sent to hotels" day.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, I apparently never posted this thing on the V.I.G. program that I typed up on my laptop last week.

The V.I.G. program is something else, all right.

I mean, nobody would probably argue that it is "worth it" in the sense that your fabulous prizes are literally worth $425 more than buying a normal badge. But the number of intangible things you get that are either increasingly unlikely (getting your ideal hotel room) or impossible albeit minor (genuinely comfortable lounge space with free drinks in an area where drinking your coffee on a hard bench costs $5? Sure!).

The swag itself has never made an impact on me since I am just a hanger-on companion, but our V.I.G. says every year he loves half the stuff and trades/sells the other half, enjoys the exclusive events a fair amount, and indeed for the hotel block access alone considers it worth it--like last year, I made my usual September-of-the-year-previous reservation at Embassy Suites, and when he got an Embassy Suites room in the reserved block it was like $400 cheaper for the 5 days than mine--seemed pretty worth it to us. Plus, I just tried reserving yesterday for next year, as it starts July 30 so rooms are already available, and the Hilton page claims that Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, and the Hilton are all "unavailable" already. Bullshit. I booked at the Conrad just in case, but they clearly finally figured out how to refuse to let anyone stay for those ~4 days this far in advance since THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE COMING FOR.

Meanwhile,

InShaneee posted:

I will gladly take some this year that you are free to use in your hopeless effort to replace that terrible picture.
GOOD.

8one6 posted:

I have my GenCon set on Flickr if you want it. They should all be marked creative commons.
Edit: And no, I'm not apologizing for the hats. We're massive dork lords.
ALSO GOOD.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Didn't see this posted, the food truck schedule

http://gencon.com/experience/foodtrucks

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The changes ... are made.

Now the pictures are symmetric(ish) on both sides of the page, at least on my screen, which is awesome. It basically looks perfect now.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

I hate teaching the game (as I've done it about a million times now) and usually look for experienced players, but the esteemed Professor Shyguy has asked me to teach it to him, so if anyone has been wanting to learn (and with an Internet pseudo-celebrity, no less), please shoot me a PM.

Do you need/want another character teacher? I have waaaaaaaay too much fun teaching this game.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

SirFozzie posted:

Have they started setting up have they have they hmm hmm hmm?

In all seriousness, it amazes me how much change the center goes through the week of gencon, and in sad retrospect, how empty the place feels on monday.

Oh, and Happy "Reservations get sent to hotels" day.

Nope, there was absolutely no indication the place was about to inundated with tens of thousands of nerds two weeks later.

It really made me realize how massive GenCon is though. The conference I attended took just a tiny fraction of the convention center and during GenCon the entire place is packed with people.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
CRACKBONE, GROUPME AUTOMATICALLY MUTED YOU FOR NOT CONTRIBUTING

THIS IS YOUR ALERT, CRACKBONE

What a weird feature

You would think someone would uninstall something if that person was not interested in it.

Anyway, I wish I could find that picture someone took of the empty hallway at the Convention Center so I can be amused again at how excited I get at a picture of an empty convention center.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

If I'm around, I'm down - I've done the tutorial like ten times but I still don't think I *know* the game.

As far as VIG, our guy buys his badge, sells the four companion badges to his friends, and after that it's only like, $200, which when you roll in the hotel access (which you can reserve two rooms for - thanks, buddy! :cool: ), and the swag, and the early dealer room access...yup. He says he'll keep buying it even if he isn't able to go one year just so he can keep buying it - nerd season tickets.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I've played Space Alert before but I can't seem to recall anything but panic and tears.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've played Space Alert before but I can't seem to recall anything but panic and tears.

That sounds about right. Space Alert is amazing.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Lawen posted:

I played in the goon game of Archipelago last year and really liked it but it's a bit too heavy for my usual group and I haven't gotten a chance to play since. As long as that's happening any time other than when I'm Netrunner drafting on Friday, I'd love to play again.

I also own a copy of BattleCon:Devastation that I've never played; if someone's willing to teach it I'd be down for that as well.

I'll have a couple Netrunner decks with me if anyone's looking for some pick-up games.

My GenCon buddy is a non-goon so his willingness to go meet some internet strangers will probably impact my ability to make it out for the drinkup on Thursday (we may go do Ron Swanson impersonations at St Elmo's that night instead).

10 days!

Was that match of Archipelago the one with Countblanc fooling me into throwing the game because he was a dirty separatist? :spergin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Trynant posted:

Was that match of Archipelago the one with Countblanc fooling me into throwing the game because he was a dirty separatist? :spergin:

Man I was so obvious too; The turn before I was confident poo poo was going to rebel so I refused to contribute to the crisis, but somehow it got fixed. I was so sure at that point I had no chance. I guess the moral of the story is never give up.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I guess Ignacy Trzewiczek will be chilling at the Czech Games booth all day as well as doing demos of his new Witcher game. Tempted to bring my copy of Robinson Crusoe for him to sign. If Witcher is there I'll be buying that anyway....

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The main part of Gen Con starts a week from today! Go add your name and contact info to this spreadsheet if you have not done so already and want goons to check in with you on things. Between this and group me we should be able to organize things spur of the moment pretty well while there(they both worked well last year):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqiGU-iR_59KdDR3Z0V0OHlNWjIweUEtNDhCQ0tCOGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Holy poo poo Quarex, your loving phone number...I am not sure if I should be impressed or what.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I haven't had a chance to look around much, any exclusives or new releases you are particularly excited about picking up or seeing?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Backno posted:

Holy poo poo Quarex, your loving phone number...I am not sure if I should be impressed or what.
:c00l:

I am never quite sure myself.

Also

quote:

@ColtsGrille: Yes we are! There are 3 sessions, starting at 7:30; 8:15; and 9:00. Hope to see you out! @dan_odea

[NERD] Trivia confirmed!
SO! Colts Grille, Wednesday My Birthday The 13th, 7:30. Be there.

It is right by the Embassy Suites if you know where that is. I will add the address too!

110 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN 46227

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Added my info to the spreadsheet. I'm not on the Groupme yet but I'll sign into it Wednesday morning and not turn it off until we leave Sunday.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Okay, I want to list a few board games as candidates for the con, because it's my evil plan to play a lot of super awesome games with people. Obviously it would help to bring games people will play! Here's the list so far:
  • Archipelago
  • High Frontier
  • BattleCON
  • Netrunner

Some stuff I'd like to bring but really will want an interest check before I start lugging them around:
  • some Splotter game (Antiquity, Great Zimbabwe, Indonesia, Roads & Boats &cetera)
  • some COIN game (Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain)
  • some popular cube-pusher euro (Agricola or another Rosenberg game, Terra Mystica, etc.)
  • Mage Wars

And for good measure, here's my board game collection. If any of that stuff is something I can get played, I'm going to bring it.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Trynant posted:

Okay, I want to list a few board games as candidates for the con, because it's my evil plan to play a lot of super awesome games with people. Obviously it would help to bring games people will play! Here's the list so far:
  • Archipelago
  • High Frontier
  • BattleCON
  • Netrunner

Some stuff I'd like to bring but really will want an interest check before I start lugging them around:
  • some Splotter game (Antiquity, Great Zimbabwe, Indonesia, Roads & Boats &cetera)
  • some COIN game (Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain)
  • some popular cube-pusher euro (Agricola or another Rosenberg game, Terra Mystica, etc.)
  • Mage Wars

And for good measure, here's my board game collection. If any of that stuff is something I can get played, I'm going to bring it.

I definitely want to play High Frontier with you, and I'd also like to try Antiquity or Roads & Boats (or any of the Splotters probably, those are the only two I know about though). Really, I'm hoping to spend most of my time playing games too, but I'm pretty space limited on luggage so I'll probably play anything that people end up bringing and/or buying. I spotted Totaler Krieg in your collection, but the con only goes 4 days...

SciFunk
Mar 2, 2006
Libertas per scientiam.

Trynant posted:

some popular cube-pusher euro (Agricola or another Rosenberg game, Terra Mystica, etc.)

Agricola is one of my favorite games, everyone who hasn't played it yet should volunteer to try it out with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If anyone is curious "how nerdy is nerdy" regarding the Nerdy Trivia at Colts Grille on Wednesday (August 13, my birthday, hay guyz), well, what I remember from last year is that the reason my group won (my group was Nesbit37 and my non-Goon buddy Rich ... versus a table of a dozen other Goons :smug:) was because I instantly knew the Skyrim expansion that focused on owning your own house was Hearthfire, and the other Goon table apparently could not recall such an unimportant piece of information at the crucial moment.

• Locked thread