Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I skipped the Claire Danes episode (and a lot of recent episodes to be honest) but I listened to today's, I thought it was pretty interesting despite Marc's skepticism. I wound up buying the book, I hope it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah Claire Danes seems very nice but not a very interesting interviewee. She basically is completely perfect.

I'm only halfway into todays episode and was very interested in hearing about how japanese comedy is run like a complete monopoly.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Actually, as might be expected,that perfect appearance is the result of intense self-control and functional OCD. She kinda has a laughing breakdown near the end after Marc hits it on the nose one too many times (man likes to dig once he spots the any sign of emotional issues). Not essential, but definitely not a dull episode.

I actually skipped this most recent one, but it sounds like it might be worth checking out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I liked the last episode. I cringed at that Louis CK story, though.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Bob Mould this week. From Husker Du, Sugar and a lot of decent solo stuff.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pocket Billiards posted:

gently caress yes.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Pocket Billiards posted:

Hopefully Marc can wring a decent interview out of him, his appearance on Bullseye a while back was fairly underwhelming, and I say that as fan and someone who was spinning Flip Your Wig last night.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Robin Williams episode is being re-uploaded within the hour by Marc :/

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

theradiostillsucks posted:

Hopefully Marc can wring a decent interview out of him, his appearance on Bullseye a while back was fairly underwhelming, and I say that as fan and someone who was spinning Flip Your Wig last night.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/338878101/bob-mould-tiny-desk-concert?autoplay=true

Also did NPR Tiny Desk.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm glad. I bought a month long membership and churned through a ton, including this one, but I was hoping Marc would upload it for anyone that didn't get to hear it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Up now.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

His intro for the episode was really nice. You can really hear him trying to hold it together, it's a drat shame.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I just finished it.

This is the only thing i've ever seen that shows who Robin Williams was. It's like the pieces fit together now. Been a fan of Maron for a while, though started listening to the pod only two weeks ago, yet this... unexpected. Unique. And I feel Marc did a service to Robin. Like it completed his legacy, and gave the best eulogy there's ever been at that.
Unique.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Marc always does a good job giving a mini eulogy when somebody passes away. I listened to his re-intro but didn't re-listen to the whole episode as I've heard it a few times already. I recommend getting the app and upgrading, or buying the box set of the first 100 episodes. The show is somewhat formulaic now but there are some really unexpectedly deep interviews early on in the show.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I can't seem to get the Bob Mould episode to play on my iPod, even after deleting and re-downloading. Anyone else having the same problem?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I can't get the mp3 to work in VLC. Both from wtfpod.com and the libsyn site. Also the streaming on the libsyn site doesn't work for me at all. I had to stream it off of wtfpod.com.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It plays fine in my iTunes but I don't bring my laptop everywhere and the headphone jack is busted. Oh well, I will listen to it at work. Good to know I'm not the only one having issues with it anyway.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I totally didn't know Wanda Sykes was a lesbian. Also, I was pleased that Marc gave livermush his endorsement.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only catch these piecemeal nowadays and only listen to the ones where I recognize names, but the Bob Newhart interview really makes me want to dig up old LPs of his and other comics comedians from that era and just listen to them. It was a very pleasant interview.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Like old comedians? Someone uploaded a fuckton of these a month or two ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK2o30fnlCU

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

the Bob Newhart interview really makes me want to dig up old LPs of his and other comics comedians from that era and just listen to them.

I felt the same way! I've had some decent luck finding old comedy records at my local goodwill (I've got a Cheech and Chong, Prior and Cosby album). I'm especially bummed after that episode because I found a Newhart record about a year ago but it was too warped to salvage :emo:

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Episode 500 is so good, as are all the music interviews. The Bob Mould one finally got me to check out his solo stuff and I think I actually like some of it even better than I like Husker Du.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Ms Pat podcast is up.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Pocket Billiards posted:

Ms Pat podcast is up.

And it is gooood.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I know nothing of her, who is she?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just listened to that episode today. What a crazy story. I think marc did well, just letting it flow. Just looked up her stuff on youtube, funny lady.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah. Holy poo poo did she have some fuckin' stories.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I haven't listened to any of her podcast appearances, but I got to hang out with Ms. Pat in the green room when she was headlining my local comedy club. I don't love her comedy (she's good at what she does, it's just not style), but she's super nice and has a ton of stories.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm about 20 minutes into the Amazing Johnathan episode.

I feel like I'm hearing the story of about 1/4 of the kids I went to high school with. The kind you meet up with and just go: Jesus.

Much like Maron, I remember him from clips or specials seen on Comedy Central in the 90's.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dr. Drew episode was surprisingly one of the best recent eps. Probably won't change your mind if you dislike him (although my dislike comes from Loveline days back in the early 2000s, not his recent reality TV work) but it's an interesting talk between two sons of doctors.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I agree Mord. As a big fan of classic Loveline it's nice to get an update on how he is doing and listening to him being quite open about his early days.

Curious as to why you dislike him from his pre-reality tv days!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lampsacus posted:

I agree Mord. As a big fan of classic Loveline it's nice to get an update on how he is doing and listening to him being quite open about his early days.

Curious as to why you dislike him from his pre-reality tv days!

I was a fan from his loveline days, though I think he was a little narrow minded. However his early book is pretty fantastic, the rot set in when he decided to be a celebrity doctor.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The only episode in like the past year or more that really left an impression on me was the RuPaul one, is this show getting more bland and boring or am I crazy?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Pryor on Fire posted:

The only episode in like the past year or more that really left an impression on me was the RuPaul one, is this show getting more bland and boring or am I crazy?

As he moves away from only interviewing comedians, you're probably going to see fewer interviews that are "funny" and more interviews that are "revealing" or in-depth. I thought the episode where Josh Homme admitted to almost dying from a drug-related infection was one of those. I feel Maron really connected with the woman who writes the webcomic about depression, and got her to talk about her sister's (very) recent suicide. The Mulaney episode was a psychological survey of a guy on the immediate cusp of what he has to know might be a career-killing failure. I don't think any one had awesome quotes, but they were definitely interesting to listen to.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Who was the webcomic woman? Also, if (haha, when) Mulaney gets axed, John Mulaney will still be a killer stand-up and will be fine.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I assume http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_550_-_allie_brosh ?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

XIII posted:

Who was the webcomic woman? Also, if (haha, when) Mulaney gets axed, John Mulaney will still be a killer stand-up and will be fine.

Allie Brosh from Hyperbole and a Half.

I'm still enjoying WTF, but I was pretty lukewarm on the RuPaul episode, too. :shrug:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah having a sitcom cancelled is not a career killer, especially when 80%+ shows are cancelled and 95% of people never heard of this particular show in the first place. He'll be fine.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I think the circumstances are a little different than an ensemble actor on a cancelled show (see Adam Pally). Mulaney was his show, under his name, and it started with a history of troubled production (getting quashed by NBC, before being picked up by Fox). It failed too big and too publicly to be forgotten, and it failed both commercially and critically (brilliant but cancelled usually buys you some goodwill, which this didn't get). He doesn't have a record of success to rely on, which you often see with veterans who get chance after chance because they have name recognition. It's not even as though he developed a reputation as a strong performer in an otherwise bad show.

I'm sure he'll continue to make a name for himself in stand up and will be "fine" as far as his general career, but he already said that he probably couldn't go back to SNL, and the level of fail associated with the show probably means we won't be seeing much of him on scripted television in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Maybe a third of the way through "Attempting Normal" right now and I like it so far. It's pretty much what you'd expect if you're familiar with Marc at all; coke, bipolar dad, eating disorder mother, cats, guitars, broken marriages, etc.

The writing has the same 'voice' as his stand up stuff without being transcriptions of bits that he does on stage. Fairly short chapters, jumping from topic to topic. Probably will finish it in five or six sittings.

• Locked thread