Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Whatever it was Marvel made the right decision. It had a lot more sleaze than every other Marvel movie. I kept wondering how they let so much cussing to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Speedball posted:

I fully went into this expecting Rocket Raccoon to be a joke but somehow he was one of the most well-rounded characters in the cast.

How do you get away with that?!

Bradley Cooper being a drat good actor when he wants to be contrary to what goons who have only seen him in The Hangover think.

Invalid Validation posted:

Whatever it was Marvel made the right decision. It had a lot more sleaze than every other Marvel movie. I kept wondering how they let so much cussing to get through.

Why is it I seem to be the only one that remembers GOTG was PG-13? Titanic had boobs and they still maintained the PG-13.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm going to see this tonight. For those of you who have seen it, do you think it's worth springing the extra few dollars for the IMAX 3D or is the standard good? I don't really go for the 3D stuff, but I love the gigantic IMAX screen at this theater because the tiered seating makes it so you can literally kick the head of the guy in front of you without getting up.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hobohemian posted:

I'm going to see this tonight. For those of you who have seen it, do you think it's worth springing the extra few dollars for the IMAX 3D or is the standard good? I don't really go for the 3D stuff, but I love the gigantic IMAX screen at this theater because the tiered seating makes it so you can literally kick the head of the guy in front of you without getting up.

IMAX is worth it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Oops, wrong thread.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 7, 2014

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

Why is it I seem to be the only one that remembers GOTG was PG-13? Titanic had boobs and they still maintained the PG-13.

Titanic also wasn't marketed to children either. It's not bad, just seems surprising (in a good way) that they let it be the way it is.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Hobohemian posted:

I've seen it in both. Truth is, the movie would be good on VHS - but the IMAX is worth it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Invalid Validation posted:

Titanic also wasn't marketed to children either. It's not bad, just seems surprising (in a good way) that they let it be the way it is.

:ssh: If you have enough money you can get a ton of stuff in a PG13 movie.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I remember when I had a bunch of Silver Surfer comics as a kid. LOTS of space-intrigue, this particular run was about a brewing Skrull-Kree war, with a transformed Skrull winding up actually running the Kree empire...and deciding to run with it and stay in power. I loved it.

Also Surfy's girlfriend was a plant lady whose hair grew out at an incredibly fast pace.

I noticed a lot of pink aliens in this movie. You think they were Pink Kree? (That's a thing: most Kree are blue assholes, there's an oppressed minority of Pink Kree who are much happier out of the empire than in it). Either that or the pink aliens from Planet Hulk. Maybe both.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Just binged through the first on that 2004-2011 Cosmic Marvel list, Thanos #1-#12. Kinda neat. Now going through Infinity Gauntlet, the early 90's look is kinda nostalgicky. Eventually gonna get back to the GotG series after my hunger for backstory is complete.

It's okay free time. We had a good run together for a bit.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This movie was very eeeeeehhhh. It's not bad flick like all the Spider-Man films, but it's not a good movie either. However, if you have kids under the age of 13 but above 6, they'll love it. It felt like a rates R 80s movie marketed towards kids without the obligatory boob scene.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

Shamelessly saw it in D-Box. It just got put in about 15 minutes from here and I figured there would be no better movie to showcase every single effect it was capable of.

Was not off in that assessment. Definitely a good demo for it, and a good movie for a fun theme park kind of experience that it offers. Plus next week it's loving TMNT, so glad I caught it while it was still available.

EDIT: There were some legitimately stunning scenes that the 3D took full advantage of; about a dozen or so moments that felt like amazing 3D paintings. Really worth the 3D price right there. If you put a couple of those shots in an art house movie they'd be getting ridiculous amount of praise for them.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Most of the stuff about Lucas not deserving credit for the OT only came about once people hated the PT so I don't really give it much credence. All films are a collaborative exercise and it's not a coincidence that the extent of his contribution got aggressively minimized by the fan community around the time the new movies came out.

You really hit the nail on the head. The reason Lucas started sucking (and even probably hurt Jedi a lot) is he stopped being collaborative. He got so big, he bought his own hype, and hosed up everything personally. He couldn't afford to do that before.

If you want to see the anti-Lucas, go listen to some interviews with Vince Gilligan. He had some loving terrible ideas for Breaking Bad. I mean really loving "show doomingly" stupid. But he admits that, and he hired people specifically to kick him in the rear end when he did something stupid, and the writing process stayed a team effort. Lucas on the other hand surrounded himself in yes-men.

I think that's the real difference between the trilogies.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 7, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

If you want to see the anti-Lucas, go listen to some interviews with Vince Gilligan. He had some loving terrible ideas for Breaking Bad. I mean really loving "show doomingly" stupid. But he admits that, and he hired people specifically to kick him in the rear end when he did something stupid, and the writing process stayed a team effort. Lucas on the other hand surrounded himself in yes-men.

I caught a snippet of an interview on NPR a long while ago and they were interviewing the ceo of spanx of all things and she had a great take on her hiring philosophy, which paraphrasing was to "hire her weaknesses". Which is what I think you're suggesting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's amazing how humble Gilligan comes across in his interviews, and he's the one who always brings up his lovely ideas and how everyone else on the team told him they were dumb ideas.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
That was the best 3d movie I have ever seen. Thanks to everyone that talked me into it.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
Did anybody get a good look at the letter his mom wrote him to go with the present? My brain might have been filling in the gaps but I coulda sworn I saw Stan Lee written on that paper.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You saw "Star Lord"/.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, even though we had a talking racoons the one thing that drove me nuts for the longest time in the movie was the cartoon space physics, where you don't need gloves or even a shirt - you'll be fine! Mostly because it's set, technically, in the Marvel universe, which usually doesn't do that with space (even if it did in the comics).

I know that's probably nit picking and it made for some admittedly striking visual sequences, but it jarred me every time.

ED: Merle Dixon, Space Pirate also jarred me at first but I grew to dig him. In particular after the whistle rampage. Holy. poo poo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The vacuum stuff? I felt like they did enough to satisfy most pedants. I'm surprised we got this much accuracy in a space opera. Gamora is said to be modified and can withstand it longer, Drax wore a helmet and I guess I presume his skin is extra tough, and we see Quill get all kinds of hosed up by it. He technically should have been bruised with bloody eyes in the next scene, but that's gross man. Wasn't that it for the people exposed to space?

edit: I have no idea what's supposed to be spoilered for new releases

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, even though we had a talking racoons the one thing that drove me nuts for the longest time in the movie was the cartoon space physics, where you don't need gloves or even a shirt - you'll be fine! Mostly because it's set, technically, in the Marvel universe, which usually doesn't do that with space (even if it did in the comics).

I know that's probably nit picking and it made for some admittedly striking visual sequences, but it jarred me every time.

ED: Merle Dixon, Space Pirate also jarred me at first but I grew to dig him. In particular after the whistle rampage. Holy. poo poo.

The casting for this movie was fantastic. That's probably what sold the premise so hard. I've never read a superhero comic in my entire life and things just sort of clicked. It had good focus, get the orb thingy that does stuff so it was pretty easy to pick up on.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 7, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

achillesforever6 posted:

I loved that scene because it was right after Drax described Gamora as a whore because of what the people in the jail were calling her

I must have missed the part with the people in the jail, why did Drax call her a whore? That part really confused me with his whole "super-literal" thing, I couldn't figure out why he thought she was a literal prostitute (other than just to jam in some misogyny) - so if there was some reason for that, it'd help clear up what was probably my biggest problem with the entire movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yo.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/03/how-long-could-you-survive-unprotected-in-outer-space/

VV Will never happen until those movies are buried in a tomb forever, and erased form the consciousness of this generation.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Blazing Ownager posted:

You really hit the nail on the head. The reason Lucas started sucking (and even probably hurt Jedi a lot) is he stopped being collaborative. He got so big, he bought his own hype, and hosed up everything personally. He couldn't afford to do that before.
... Lucas on the other hand surrounded himself in yes-men.

I honestly can't wait for the day when people stop smugly regurgitating the Plinkett reviews as if they were objective fact.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Speedball posted:

I fully went into this expecting Rocket Raccoon to be a joke but somehow he was one of the most well-rounded characters in the cast.

How do you get away with that?!

By underwriting the other characters.

I have to say I was disappointed in this film. The director didn't seem to understand the whole "show, don't tell mentality." We never get to see any reasons for the characters' motivation. Instead, we just have them tell us this is why they're doing this, and it's hard to develop any sympathetic feelings towards them because of this. I actually found the Nebula character to be the most sympathetic because there were a few scenes which seemed to indicate what her character was like and what she was going through.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Having watched this again (in 3D, which was a good excuse as any), Gamora seemed even weaker as a character. She seems to bound up by the plot that she can't do her own thing. It doesn't help that she doesn't have a good hook like the others.

In contrast, Quill/Star-Lord seemed even stronger. I remember first being afraid that he'd only be an idiot, but movie managed to balance all sides of his character very well.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Davros1 posted:

By underwriting the other characters.

I have to say I was disappointed in this film. The director didn't seem to understand the whole "show, don't tell mentality." We never get to see any reasons for the characters' motivation. Instead, we just have them tell us this is why they're doing this, and it's hard to develop any sympathetic feelings towards them because of this. I actually found the Nebula character to be the most sympathetic because there were a few scenes which seemed to indicate what her character was like and what she was going through.

You mean the scene that had Thanos drop the "Gamora, my favorite daughter" line (followed by a cut to Nebula huffing and puffing) with all the subtlety of a ten ton hammer?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 7, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JohnSherman posted:

I honestly can't wait for the day when people stop smugly regurgitating the Plinkett reviews as if they were objective fact.

The Plinkett reviews are a drat sight more entertaining than any of the Prequels. And on the whole topic of yes men and Lucas, RLM are absolutly 100% right.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The movie made $11.7m on Monday and $11.9m on Tuesday. :stare:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

JohnSherman posted:

You mean the scene that had Thanos drop the "Gamora, my favorite daughter" line (followed by a cut to Nebula huffing and puffing) with all the subtlety of a ten ton hammer?

Maybe so, but it was still a thousand times more subtle than the rest of the movie where any given character would just stare straight at the camera and give the most lifeless, direct reading of their past or what they're currently feeling that they could manage. Must have happened a dozen times in that movie, or more. It's a tribute to how good the rest of the movie is that all that showing is utterly eclipsed by all the really well done parts and doesn't harm the movie all that much.

They probably could have given Ronan a motivation, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I saw this last night (in a PACKED theater), and liked it, but didn't love it.

• I've been saying Thanos wrong all this time. I always said Thay-nos.
  • The score wasn't memorable at all, but I guess the songs needed to stand out.
  • Thanos looks too... human.
  • The movie felt kind of rushed. I feel like we got just enough to see that Ronan was a bad guy, and moved on. Ditto for each of the Guardians.
  • The high-wire stunts (people jumping, being thrown against walls) were really obvious, and kind of hurt my suspension of disbelief.
  • Making Yondu a space redneck feels odd and a little jarring, but I got used to it.
  • They kind of ignored explaining why no one can touch the stone, but Ronan can.
  • I was kind of hoping we'd see Nova. Oh well.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's not that nobody can touch them, it's that if you aren't fairly powerful already they will tear you up. And Ronan is more powerful than anyone else in the film but Thanos to start with.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sean10mm posted:

It's not that nobody can touch them, it's that if you aren't fairly powerful already they will tear you up. And Ronan is more powerful than anyone else in the film but Thanos to start with.

"Powerful" is a really abstract thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Red posted:

I saw this last night (in a PACKED theater), and liked it, but didn't love it.

• I've been saying Thanos wrong all this time. I always said Thay-nos.
  • The score wasn't memorable at all, but I guess the songs needed to stand out.
  • Thanos looks too... human.
  • The movie felt kind of rushed. I feel like we got just enough to see that Ronan was a bad guy, and moved on. Ditto for each of the Guardians.
  • The high-wire stunts (people jumping, being thrown against walls) were really obvious, and kind of hurt my suspension of disbelief.
  • Making Yondu a space redneck feels odd and a little jarring, but I got used to it.
  • They kind of ignored explaining why no one can touch the stone, but Ronan can.
  • I was kind of hoping we'd see Nova. Oh well.

Thanos looks almost exactly like he does in the comics though?

Also they say that only powerful beings can hold the stone and show that Ronan could hold it for a little bit, but that he was dying before he slapped it in the hammer.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sean10mm posted:

Drax is supposedly strong, but Ronan is even stronger. I think we can infer, from his introduction, that his armor gives him his power - but that shouldn't allow him to wield the stone.

Not a major complaint or anything, but it seems uneven when they go to lengths to show/explain that Quill was able to touch the stone for as long as he did because of his genetics.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also they say that only powerful beings can hold the stone and show that Ronan could hold it for a little bit, but that he was dying before he slapped it in the hammer.

Thanos, in the books, has cold/dark/emotionless eyes, that occasionally "smoke".

Excellent point about the hammer, though - you're absolutely right there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Presumably Ronan is like the Captain America or Power Man of the Kree and they just didn't go into it. I think a bit of explanation why Ronan himself is so powerful (or a comment that Kree as a whole are crazy strong if that's the case) would have gone a long way to establishing why he can do what he does.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I thought power was referencing not only the 'typical' metrics of power, but also power of will, which Star Lord and crew have in spades by the end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nah, his eyes look way different than in the comics, and I agree it looks weird. He seems less threatening because of it. Though I don't know that that effect would translate well to film at all.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Nah, his eyes look way different than in the comics, and I agree it looks weird. He seems less threatening because of it. Though I don't know that that effect would translate well to film at all.

Just make his eyes glow as a single, solid color.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

XboxPants posted:

I must have missed the part with the people in the jail, why did Drax call her a whore? That part really confused me with his whole "super-literal" thing, I couldn't figure out why he thought she was a literal prostitute (other than just to jam in some misogyny) - so if there was some reason for that, it'd help clear up what was probably my biggest problem with the entire movie.

Gamora and her associates killed his family. "Whore" is a far kinder word than most people would use in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, it's not those movies. It's better. That's right, I said it.

I agree. I un-ironically think GOTG is more entertaining than all three of the original Star Wars movies.

• Locked thread