Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I confess I'm disappointed the case-file UK covers are no longer made for the new books, hardback reprints with those covers would entice me to buy, but otherwise I guess I'll stick to having everything up to Changes in paperback, Changes itself in hardback, and the rest in e-book. I feel the new Harry-in-a-hat covers these days look a bit too Young Adult for my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I've got paperbacks through Changes and the weird, quatro format Side Jobs paperback before switching to hardbacks. I'm happy with how my Dresden shelf looks. I might buy hardback omnibusses though.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

ConfusedUs posted:

What Should I Read After Dresden?
Updated May 26th 2014

Face it. Most Urban Fantasy is garbage, where the main (sexy!) character fucks her way through the legions of hell.

But not all of it is terrible. Here's a list of the most popular recommendations from this thread. I hope you like London.

The good stuff!
These are the books we here most frequently recommend, and they're all well worth your time. Buy these.

Daniel O'malley: The Rook: Similar to Laundry Files (see below), but less geeky and far more badass. Lots of spycraft, weird powers, and has a strong female protagonist. It's my personal favorite out of all the recommendations here. Reads like "What if the X-Men were a secret branch of the British government?"

Ben Aaronovitch: Rivers of London: Constable-Wizard apprentice in London. Magic is scary and difficult and serious. This series is British as gently caress. Unfortunately, the US release date tends to lag far behind the British release date (several months or more). This series is exceptionally well-written.

Charles Stross: The Laundry Files: Computer Wizard/Secret Agent wrapped around the Cthulhu Mythos, with heavy respect for Lovecraftian Horror. All Awesome & also British. The first book is a little slow. There are a couple of recent short stories, and the next book should be out sometime in 2014.

Having just read the Laundry Files series (meaning I've now read all of the above) I'd probably rate the current Urban Fantasy as

Laundry Files // Dresden Files
The Watch Series (that Russian author, starting with Night Watch)
Rivers of London
The Rook

The Rook was good, but until it's followed up by a couple more it could just be a flash in the pan. I'd actually rank the Laundry stuff right up there with Dresden though. It's real test will be the next couple of books though. I've heard rumours they will have different narrators. A couple of short stories from Mo and Alex would be fine, but two main series books? The Mo book will be absolutely horrifying though, given what we know about the... weapon... that will be used.

Pendent posted:

Continuing the spoilers for the last Laundry Files book

I just can't believe that's the last we've seen of Angleton. An offscreen death for such a major character seems odd to me, particularly when we never saw a body.
If the ritual to bind him to a new body wasn't quite so horrific I would guess they would just summon him up again. As it is it's tough to say but I think he'll be back, one way or another.

I'm pretty sure that Angleton is now inside Bob. Like Bob said, TEAPOT will happen over his dead body. In fact, it already has. Things from outside our universe might not have to follow linear time when being summoned into our timespace. I think that post-Rhesus Angleton was pulled into Bob, but let Bob himself come along for the ride too. While real Angleton was around the kiddy gloves were on, but once he died Bob was freed up, he came into his full power.

I don't mean Angleton's mind or memories are there. They are gone. His soul, the hungry ghost, however has become part of Bob. He IS now Angleton.

I probably have it all wrong though, given I've only read the series once, and all in quick succession over the past week or two at that.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 2, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Just to give another view on The Rook, I thought it was amateur-hour babby's-first-novel NaNoWriMo bullshit. I thought it was written terribly, not actually edited at all, and everything else about it was pretty bad too. It's like that kindle favourite 'the many lives of tao' in that I wasn't sure the book I was reading was the same one people recommended.

I am enjoying the felix castor books, and the Alex Verus books are decent too, in the spirit of positivity :frogbon:.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

awesmoe posted:

Just to give another view on The Rook, I thought it was amateur-hour babby's-first-novel NaNoWriMo bullshit. I thought it was written terribly, not actually edited at all, and everything else about it was pretty bad too. It's like that kindle favourite 'the many lives of tao' in that I wasn't sure the book I was reading was the same one people recommended.

Did you check? There are actually like three different novels with that title.

It is definitely a first novel but I thought it was at least as good as, say, the first Dresden book. If nothing else, it's got a female protagonist who's self-directed and not just chasing a man.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

docbeard posted:

On one hand, they could have been killed unceremoniously offscreen, or we could have them come back with a serious grudge against Harry at a suitably dramatic moment.

Of course they're alive.
i'm pretty sure that the Erlking remarked that the goblins were /very/ eager to find use for the various torture chambers they had or something to that effect, so it's probably the remnants of the red court hunting party that's still alive(more or less)

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I thought it was at least as good as, say, the first Dresden book.

You're not inspiring confidence with that statement :v:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I liked The Rook, and upon reflection there are several "my first novel" issues with it. The worst one to me (kind of general spoilers for the whole book I guess) was that apparently Myfanwy's eye for character quality is right on the dot and anyone she ended up "liking immediately" turned out to be entirely trustworthy. Also, I half-wished her assistant turned out to be evil or at least not quite so utterly dedicated to Myfanwy. Only half because she ended up playing off of Myfanwy in a really fun way, but she doesn't quite seem to be her own real person.

The overall mystery was a little too obvious to me as well. I tend to be very dumb at figuring out mysteries but I spent a good third or more of the book kind of yelling at Myfanwy for not seeing this one. (ending/bad guy spoilers) Like the second old Myfanwy mentioned that she'd always been too scared to change a single thing about her domicile it was obvious to me that it was bugged to high heaven and whatsisface who had it last was absolutely involved in all the bad stuff.

That said, it was a fun read, the dialogue was amusing, and some of the twists weren't quite so obvious and added some cool flavor to the book. The situations the characters end up in are pretty creative and the way that the main character and her former self are two completely separate people that feel real is very well done. I think it is WAY better than Storm Front and Fool Moon and probably on the same level as the third Dresden book. Like the third DF book, it lays down a lot of threads that have the potential to be very interesting in future books.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Since there is probably some overlap in readers, I figure I'll ask here--The Magician's Land is coming out this tuesday, and that series hasn't had a thread here for a long time. If there's any interest, I'll create a thread about it. Honestly, my expectations for the book aren't super high, but I'm just hoping Lev Grossman can put a decent end on that series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Honestly, I liked Laundry 1, thought Laundry 2 was so-so, and found Laundry 3 pretty unreadable. Given the progression, I'm not really that interested in Laundry 4.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'll second the Felix Castor books, scratches that itch pretty well.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tunicate posted:

Honestly, I liked Laundry 1, thought Laundry 2 was so-so, and found Laundry 3 pretty unreadable. Given the progression, I'm not really that interested in Laundry 4.

Laundry 3 (the Fuller Memorandum) certainly failed to make much of an impression on me, given that for the life of me I can't even remember what it was about. The Apocalypse Codex was a good bit better, I though, but I'm a sucker for characters like Modesty Blaize BASHFUL INCENDIARY Persephone Hazard, so maybe that's not saying much. The Rhesus Chart was definitely much better than either in large part because the bait and switch on the story a third of the way through from "24 with vampires" to "The Office with vampires" helped return the series back to the premise of a government agency which plans to defeat Cthulhu by denying planning permission on non-Euclidean basements.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I enjoyed Fuller Memorandum after getting bored with Jennifer Morgue twice and then finally finishing it.

Probably going to start Felix Castor once I finish with what I'm reading.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Felix castor is pretty decent.

I also just finished the first alex versa book, and enjoed it (I always want to call him alex versus). His magical abilities are pretty cool and original.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Just a reminder that the next Sandman Slim book, The Getaway God, comes out at the end of this month :black101:.

And the third Bobby Dollar book, Sleeping Late on Judgement Day, comes out the following week. Let's see how much Williams can torture his character this time!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I liked Laundry 1 and found Laundry 2 to basically be one of the worst things I've ever read. Laundry 3 was a step up merely by not being Laundry 2.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
I read Iron Druid 1 this last weekend, it's a fun pulpy substitution for Dresden

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Just finished the last Iron Druid book after binging through the series. The lolcats part in book 3(?) made me cringe, but it wasn't so bad it put me off my pulpy urban fantasy fix. The latest book felt a lot better than the older ones, though.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Just finished the last Iron Druid book after binging through the series. The lolcats part in book 3(?) made me cringe, but it wasn't so bad it put me off my pulpy urban fantasy fix. The latest book felt a lot better than the older ones, though.

Yeah reading this thread made me think that the entire series of books is just constant lolcat, when in fact is it literally a single sentence in one of the books that is used by Atticus as a joke. But such is the sperg of goons I guess.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dravs posted:

Yeah reading this thread made me think that the entire series of books is just constant lolcat, when in fact is it literally a single sentence in one of the books that is used by Atticus as a joke. But such is the sperg of goons I guess.

It's just a particularly dumb joke at a time when the series as a whole is on a downward slide. That's all.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Oberon is also the worst sidekick character ever and Atticus is the most boring aspect of the world he lives in.

But, you know, don't let little things like actual complaints of stupid internet humor throughout the books count. The latest book was the best so far, but I still rolled my eyes at the Game of Thrones references.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I don't know about that. Oberon has given me quite a few laughs, but he also seems very forced at times.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Get one of the audiobooks on Audible and it will utterly ruin Oberon for you.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
It came up earlier in the thread, so I have to say: man, The Magician's Land is goddamn excellent. Easy 10/10, good at every single portion of the book, makes excellent use of the material from the previous books and retroactively elevates both of them. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Einander posted:

It came up earlier in the thread, so I have to say: man, The Magician's Land is goddamn excellent. Easy 10/10, good at every single portion of the book, makes excellent use of the material from the previous books and retroactively elevates both of them. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Better than the first two books you say? That's promising! I enjoyed the first two, but there were definitely some issues.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Einander posted:

I found the first quite good but the second was sort of a letdown.

This is good news!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Einander posted:

I'm halfway through it and the plot has basically gone nowhere for most of it.

Also I'm pretty sure I saw "lulz", "for the win", and "i heart ____" so far. Goddamnit, he didn't learn.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
So I don't know if any of you like jewelry, but I was at SDCC the other weekend and

It was a display for Badali Jewelry, which I hadn't heard of before but they've got some neat stuff from books that I know are of interest to the thread. It was also where Jim Butcher did his autographs!

Sorry my phone's camera is so horrible

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The tv show's bracelet was better IMO. :colbert:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Jesus Christ, $200 for loving Sterling Silver?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Wade Wilson posted:

Jesus Christ, $200 for loving Sterling Silver?

Welcome to comicon, where nerds paid good money to go somewhere to buy stuff they could have ordered on the internet for 1/4th the price.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dietrich posted:

Welcome to comicon, where nerds paid good money to go somewhere to buy stuff they could have ordered on the internet for 1/4th the price.

It's the same price online

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Rose Spirit posted:

So I don't know if any of you like jewelry, but I was at SDCC the other weekend and

More like Thomas' pentacle necklace. I mean come on, its all pristine and not even bent, warped, or scarred in any way.

Also its missing a pentagram shaped ruby held in place with super glue.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Logan 5 posted:

Pentagon shaped.

Not something you want to gently caress up if you're a wizard...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Logan 5 posted:

More like Thomas' pentacle necklace. I mean come on, its all pristine and not even bent, warped, or scarred in any way.

Not any more. When Dresden got it back in Cold Days he remarks about how Mab apparently had it fixed.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So, I've been wanting for decent fantasy books to read (alas, I've run out of Abercrombie and can't get ahold of "Half a King") and I stumbled into the indie published Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer. It's more or less Dresden Files with a coat of paint on top. The funny thing is, Daniel is an ambiguously criminal, amoral sorcerer for hire who is alarmingly disinterested in the professional exploits of his murderous Demon Prince's enforcer of a succubus girlfriend (and not to mention her boss), and he's still less obnoxious than Harry's first person narration can be at times. This is thanks to fewer forced and unfunny pop cultural references and much less of that gratuitous Male Gaze.

That's right. The urban fantasy series where the most prominent female character is an actual personification of illicit sex and lust has less graphic Male Gaze than The Dresden Files. Plus the protagonist's surrogate dads are a happily-partnered gay couple. And the protagonist's ex/friend/occasional partner in crime is bisexual (although she jokes that he turned her off men).

I wouldn't call the Daniel Faust series better (it has its flaws and is good but not great, but then it's only two books deep) but I am saying that I appreciated the lack of a graphic description of the breasts and nipples belonging to the resident punky minor teenaged girl.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Mars4523 posted:

So, I've been wanting for decent fantasy books to read (alas, I've run out of Abercrombie and can't get ahold of "Half a King") and I stumbled into the indie published Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer. It's more or less Dresden Files with a coat of paint on top. The funny thing is, Daniel is an ambiguously criminal, amoral sorcerer for hire who is alarmingly disinterested in the professional exploits of his murderous Demon Prince's enforcer of a succubus girlfriend (and not to mention her boss), and he's still less obnoxious than Harry's first person narration can be at times. This is thanks to fewer forced and unfunny pop cultural references and much less of that gratuitous Male Gaze.

That's right. The urban fantasy series where the most prominent female character is an actual personification of illicit sex and lust has less graphic Male Gaze than The Dresden Files. Plus the protagonist's surrogate dads are a happily-partnered gay couple. And the protagonist's ex/friend/occasional partner in crime is bisexual (although she jokes that he turned her off men).

I wouldn't call the Daniel Faust series better (it has its flaws and is good but not great, but then it's only two books deep) but I am saying that I appreciated the lack of a graphic description of the breasts and nipples belonging to the resident punky minor teenaged girl.

Oh for sure bro

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Stiletto: A Novel by Daniel O'Malley

quote:

When secret organizations are forced to merge after years of enmity and bloodshed, only one person has the fearsome powers---and the bureaucratic finesse---to get the job done. Facing her greatest challenge yet, Rook Myfanwy Thomas must broker a deal between two bitter adversaries:

The Checquy---the centuries-old covert British organization that protects society from supernatural threats, and...

The Grafters---a centuries-old supernatural threat.

But as bizarre attacks sweep London, threatening to sabotage negotiations, old hatreds flare. Surrounded by spies, only the Rook and two women who absolutely hate each other, can seek out the culprits before they trigger a devastating otherworldly war.

Apparently this comes out in February.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ornamented Death posted:

Stiletto: A Novel by Daniel O'Malley

Apparently this comes out in February.

This is a really good example of what I was saying. If the writing style of that blurb annoys you, do not read this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

awesmoe posted:

This is a really good example of what I was saying. If the writing style of that blurb annoys you, do not read this book.

You're crazy. The Rook was awesome.