Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Also, I haven't installed a graphics pack on the 40.06 version that I'm using, but I think I've incorporated all of the old Voxmod changes into it. The official tournament will use a graphics pack, but we might just skip it for the test tournament.

Also, with the new release, I noticed there are some things in the arena gamelog that weren't there before.

pre:
Very Bad Munki bashes Lord Jazzimus in the lower body with his silver flail, bruising the muscle and bruising the stomach!
Lord Jazzimus lashes Very Bad Munki in the right rear foot with his iron scourge, fracturing the bone!
An artery has been opened by the attack and a tendon has been torn!
Lord Jazzimus scratches Very Bad Munki in the right rear leg, bruising the muscle through the large iron mail shirt!
Very Bad Munki scratches Lord Jazzimus in the left upper arm, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Lord Jazzimus attacks Very Bad Munki but He jumps away!
Lord Jazzimus: Gruesome wounds!  Begone fear!
Lord Jazzimus punches Very Bad Munki in the right hand with his right hand, bruising the muscle!
Very Bad Munki bashes Lord Jazzimus in the left hand with his silver flail, bruising the fat!
Lord Jazzimus lashes Very Bad Munki in the lower body with his iron scourge, bruising the muscle through the large iron mail shirt!
Lord Jazzimus attacks Very Bad Munki but He jumps away!
Very Bad Munki bashes Lord Jazzimus in the left lower leg with his silver flail, fracturing the bone!
Lord Jazzimus falls over.
Lord Jazzimus gives in to pain.
Very Bad Munki bashes Lord Jazzimus in the head with his silver flail, but the attack is deflected by Lord Jazzimus's slade cap!
Very Bad Munki bashes Lord Jazzimus in the head with his silver flail, bruising the muscle and fracturing the skull!
Very Bad Munki bashes Lord Jazzimus in the head with his silver flail, but the attack is deflected by Lord Jazzimus's slade cap!
Very Bad Munki bashes Lord Jazzimus in the head with his silver flail, bruising the muscle, fracturing the skull!
Very Bad Munki bashes Lord Jazzimus in the head with his silver flail and the injured part is crushed!
Lord Jazzimus has been struck down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Begone fear? Weird.

Also impressive victory for Munki considering he lost his god drat foot right off the bat.

If possible I'd like to ask that when you have the game set up exactly how you want it that you just zip up whatever folders need replacing so I can just dump them in and not have to worry about a list of individual files. That is if you want me to run some fights.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The fracture seems not to have stopped him jumping around. Maybe foot damage will no longer be as terrifying.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

pre:
...Bad Munki vs. Lord Jazzimus...
Lord Jazzimus has been struck down.
Uhhh, that's a pretty serious bug you've found there. Like, game-breaking.

I have a reputation to uphold, and all.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

If possible I'd like to ask that when you have the game set up exactly how you want it that you just zip up whatever folders need replacing so I can just dump them in and not have to worry about a list of individual files. That is if you want me to run some fights.

I'll zip up the entire executable and upload it to the site.

I'm thinking I'll run the first round of the round-robin (eight fights) myself, and then have you, ZeeToo, Bene Elim, and Maugrim run some fights after that if you guys are up for it.

I think these are all of the changes I had made to the raw files:

Removed NATURAL_SKILL from gremlins, stranglers, and minotaurs
Added CAN_LEARN tags to stranglers and molemarians
Removed ARENA_RESTRICTED from molemarians
Added ARENA_RESTRICTED tag to the giant damselfly and damselfly man creatures (otherwise the macros created by the site get very confused when generating an elf fighter)

Updated item files to reflect Voxmod values:
item_ammo.txt
item_armor.txt
item_helm.txt
item_shield.txt
item_weapon.txt

Updated slade in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt to use metal template, in order to allow slade items in arena

---

Also, on the subject of slade, a little bit of testing has shown that it seems to make really great blunt weapons, but is a terrible choice for armor. Sure, slade armor provides nearly complete protection, but so does adamantine for a much lower price. In addition, a full suit of slade armor is so heavy that a fighter can barely move at all in it, even with maxed-out armor skill. Fighters in full adamantine nearly always defeated fighters in full slade when all skills were equal.

edit: And as soon as I say that, a group of 10 adamantine-clad fighters with platinum warhammers take down a group of 10 adamantine-clad fighters with slade warhammers, with no losses. Maybe slade is just crap.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 6, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I'll probably be opening up the test tournament for participation in just a little over 24 hours from now.

Some last minute changes:

- Fighters will start with approximately double the number of points to spend as in the previous tournament

- Bows and crossbows are significantly more expensive than before. Also, they each now come with 20 pieces of ammunition rather than 40.

- Archery, bow, and crossbow skills are slightly more expensive than before. In spite of the archery nerf, it's probably still worthwhile to have at least one archer on your team, but probably not more than two.

- The price of slade has been reduced since it really doesn't seem to be nearly as powerful as I had thought it would be. It's still the most expensive material, though, but only a little more than adamantine.

--------

:siren: HOW THE TEST TOURNAMENT WILL WORK :siren:

48 fighters will be allowed to participate. To participate in the tournament, you must first create a new fighter, and then once the start of the tournament has been announced, you may apply for that fighter to join the tournament by selecting the fighter from the Manage Fighters panel on the site. Future tournaments probably won't always require you to join in this particular manner, but this one does.

No player may have more than one fighter in the tournament.

Once 48 fighters have joined, the fighters will be randomly assigned to one of 16 teams of three fighters each.

These 16 teams will be randomly grouped into four divisions of four teams each.

Up until the tournament is officially underway, any member of a team has authority to change the team's name. Here's hoping you and your teammates can agree on something. Once the tournament actually starts, team names are fixed.

You will be able to see your teammates' builds using the site. If you wish to collaborate further with your teammates in order to plan a group strategy for your builds, I think that some players did something with Google Groups a few years back in a previous tournament that featured teams, so something like that might be an option. In the future, the site will eventually have some kind of messaging or forum-based collaboration option, but that's not here yet. And also, keep in mind that this is an unofficial test tournament, so don't take it too seriously. The tournament after this one will be the meaningful one.

Once the tournament starts, there will be a three-round round-robin, in which each team fights each of the other teams in their division. Division standings are based first on wins and losses, with total kills and fewest kills against being used as a tiebreaker, so it's a better quality win if you have no casualties vs. if you just have one fighter alive at the end. Fighters do not receive any additional points during the round-robin phase!

The top two teams in each division will advance to an eight-team single-elimination tournament. In the event of a two-way tie, the tie is broken with a new fight. In the event of a three-way tie, the tie is broken with a "Battle Royale" style fight. Fighters receive additional points for being on a team that qualifies for the tournament, and then receive even more additional points as they advance in the tournament (if they advance). I'm not planning on having a third-place match in the test tournament.

So... Any questions?

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 7, 2014

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I can only assign points and stuff once the tournament has been announced, right? Beyond that, things are pretty clear!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Galick posted:

I can only assign points and stuff once the tournament has been announced, right?

Yes, that's correct.

The reason for that is, if you created a fighter before a tournament like this one where you get lots of points, but then that fighter doesn't join this tournament, but instead joins the next one, where not nearly as many points are given to each fighter... then your fighter would have an unfair advantage over the other fighters in that next tournament, who might have only received half as many points. Or, for that matter, you might have an unfair disadvantage if the point distribution were even more generous in the next tournament.

Because of the fact that points are on a per-league, per-tournament basis, points are only given once the tournament starts when your fighter joins the tournament.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 7, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay I've got my build all figured out when does this crap starrrrrrrt?!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've planned a gimmick that would be completely useless 1v1, but might actually be decent in a 3v3. Only one way to find out. :allears:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I have never made a fighter for this. Any tips?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

apostateCourier posted:

I have never made a fighter for this. Any tips?

Tips are for the weak! We must stumble and grasp victory from the hands of poor management! (Though, tips would still be welcome)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Steel is always a good option. Fighting is necessary. Heavy armour on tiny dudes does not work well.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Steel is always a good option. Fighting is necessary. Heavy armour on tiny dudes does not work well.

I don't really have a frame of reference for skill levels- about how high does, say, Fighting need to be? Also holy crap steel is expensive how does anyone ever afford armor?

Edit: Is there anywhere to download the version of DF you use for this? The link in the OP is broken.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 7, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Boot cost: Is it per boot or for a pair?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pair. Same for gauntlets and other normally paired items.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Actually, it's for a full set. Races with four arms like stranglers and soldier ant women get four gauntlets for that same price.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh right. And wasn't there a snakeman wearing a single boot on his tail or something?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

apostateCourier posted:

I don't really have a frame of reference for skill levels- about how high does, say, Fighting need to be? Also holy crap steel is expensive how does anyone ever afford armor?

IIRC, fighting makes you generally more effective in melee combat but is not as important as weapon skill. Once weapon skill is raised to a point where it becomes considerably expensive to add further levels, you may wish to invest in a few levels of fighting.

Yes, steel is expensive. Some fighters have built out steel armor sets one piece at a time, only purchasing additional pieces if/when they advance. Larger fighters often have to stick with leather or bronze.

apostateCourier posted:

Edit: Is there anywhere to download the version of DF you use for this? The link in the OP is broken.

Once the tournament starts I'll make it available for everyone.

Bad Munki posted:

Oh right. And wasn't there a snakeman wearing a single boot on his tail or something?

Yes, and serpent men can still wear a single boot on their tail in DF2014.

The only thing that seems to have changed armor-wise is that caps can no longer be layered under helms. One piece of headwear seems to be the limit.

I've also just recently made helms more expensive and caps cheaper, since helms provide significantly superior head coverage.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 7, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
And... one of my final tests shows that Battle Royale tiebreaker matches aren't properly handled by the website betting interface. :(

I suppose we could just disallow betting on those matches for the test tournament. It's kind of a shame, because those are probably the most interesting matches to bet on, but I can have that piece up and running for the official tournament.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
75 for a helmet seems a bit too much.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

75 for a helmet seems a bit too much.

Keep in mind that fighters do start with about twice as many points as last tournament, although that initial allotment will have to carry you through three matches this time around.

The near-complete head protection provided by a helm is very powerful and effective at keeping fighters alive, and I wanted the merely-very-good protection from caps to be a real option for fighters who wanted to focus on spending more points in other areas. Minotaurs and trolls that buy a steel helm right off the bat should be hurting for points to spend on other things.

But that being said, I can dial the price back a bit if other players agree that it's excessive.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I'm keen to try making an archer for this. Does anyone have any advice on what to get for specifically a shooty mans?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Skill over weapon quality in my opinion. You only realistically have 2-4 shots before your melee friends engage the over team in the middle and you need those shots to be as accurate as possible from as far a range as possible to prevent any 2v1 situations against your bodyguards, even a totally nonfatal shot to a nonweapon hand to an opponent can cause enough pain to really slow down an enemy.

In the last team tournament, I made an archer antwomen that proved to do surprisingly well with just a silver bow and two shields and tons of skill levels all the way until the championship match. Definitely should've gone up to adamantine by then.

This is all of course based on knowledge of older versions of the game, so :iiam: if any of this is actually still true.

For this tournament, I shall be managing the up-and-coming, IAMAWEREWOLFNOTATIGER, the tigerwerewolfman, in defiance of Fascimus Crime's anti-lupine decree.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 8, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Can an antwoman or a strangler wield 2 bows at once?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Ignite Memories posted:

Can an antwoman or a strangler wield 2 bows at once?

They can wield two bows at once, but they don't appear to fire both of them at once.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
From the primordial abyss of the Internet, I return to enter another fighter into the arena, to continue the glorious tradition! So yeah good to be back dudes, hope my team and I don't get horribly murdered by Gremlins or something. :unsmith:

I am certain Paper Machette, elven swordsperson extraordinaire will perform quite well! I promise he won't have a wooden sword. Probably.

Edit: Oh and yeah, it should be noted that it's probably gonna be more important to have a higher skill in this early stage rather than a better weapon. I think around 5 is considered a good point to get to before you start investing a lot in fighting? I dunno it's been literally years since I made a dude for this, after all. :v:

Edit the second \/\/\/: You better believe they can. All shields, all the time.

Locomotive breath fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 8, 2014

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

They can wield two bows at once, but they don't appear to fire both of them at once.

But can they wield four shields?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Reverence posted:

But can they wield four shields?

They most certainly can. This doesn't give them much killing power, though, and I haven't thoroughly tested how it affects their blocking chances.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dude, 3 shields and a sword sounds like an awesome setup. I wish I knew more about the combat system, I'm really going to be going in blind.

I really like halberds, and I made a fighter named Harold Bird, but other than buying him a halberd and some of whatever skill halberds use I really have no idea what to go for. I wish i could play around with builds without being enrolled in a tournament.

V SEE, THAT'S THE KIND OF poo poo I'M TALKING ABOUT. how do you people know these things? V

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 8, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Attacks of opportunity ignore shields, and a single punch by a tigerman will paste unarmored ant people's limbs.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Attacks of opportunity ignore shields, and a single punch by a tigerman will paste unarmored ant people's limbs.

What about an unarmored human's limbs?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

apostateCourier posted:

What about an unarmored human's limbs?

Give me a moment to check. :v:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Give me a moment to check. :v:

Thanks. I'm trying build something that isn't a big guy and make it viable without resorting to being the team archer. Maybe a human with a two handed sword, and buy armor later if my team makes it past the round robin. I've never done this before, so I just spitball builds into the arena against approximated round 2 builds from the other tournaments. There's enough complexity to dwarf fortress that it's hard to figure out what works, what doesn't, what rounds were flukes, etc.

It's an exhausting system to explore.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

apostateCourier posted:

Pffffffft, you're doing it wrong. Just do something crazy and/or stupid, you'll be famous like me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ignite Memories posted:

V SEE, THAT'S THE KIND OF poo poo I'M TALKING ABOUT. how do you people know these things? V

I made a grandmaster ant woman with 4 shields and let her fight against a tigerman with proficient swords and fighting and armed with a two handed sword.

The ant woman bled to death due limb explosions resulting from punches.

edit: She blocked every single sword blow.

apostateCourier posted:

Thanks. I'm trying build something that isn't a big guy and make it viable without resorting to being the team archer. Maybe a human with a two handed sword, and buy armor later if my team makes it past the round robin. I've never done this before, so I just spitball builds into the arena against approximated round 2 builds from the other tournaments. There's enough complexity to dwarf fortress that it's hard to figure out what works, what doesn't, what rounds were flukes, etc.

An unarmed human vs unarmed tigerman resulted in a draw.The tigerman kept fainting from exhaustion, the human from excessive vomiting.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: REGISTRATION IS OPEN :siren:

Remember, to join the tournament, you must first create a fighter, then apply for the fighter to join the tournament from the Manage Fighter panel.

Good luck to all, and don't feel too bad if you don't make it in to this one. The official tournament will be larger, and we'll hopefully be done with this one and onto that one in about a month.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ENTERED WHOOP WHOOP

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, I entered my moleman, but now it wont let me buy skills or gear saying that it's NOT in a tourney.

If it matters I created it before the tournament was open, then applied as soon as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Size Doesn't Matter the gremlin is now in the tourney.

• Locked thread