Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

No, that's why the "dick message" line works. The last one occurs at too important of a plot point and ruins both. The addition of that part neither improves the moment, sharpens the dialogue, or adds to character development -- you can remove it entirely and not only not have the climatic moment changed, but be intact with more focus on it without the addition of something silly to it. There's no case in which removing that doesn't improve the scene.
I feel like the latter is deliberately a little jarring - it's like Gamora yawning and Rocket scratching what I presume are his balls as they do the big heroic Armageddon march, deliberately ratcheting back the "cool" to distance the Guardians from "real" heroes like The Avengers. Iron Man would have a way snappier line, because he's a god-damned hero. Starlord's just some a-hole, of course he's going to gently caress up the Big Moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I don't like unnecessary misogyny in movies even if it's in character so I didn't like that line either

KoB
May 1, 2009

Stayne Falls posted:

Where do you think he got the giant tape deck for that spaceship? You think he just built that from memory?

No, I imagine the society that has anti-gravity and spaceships could probably just build one for him. I bet tape decks aren't beyond their capability.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KoB posted:

No, I imagine the society that has anti-gravity and spaceships could probably just build one for him. I bet tape decks aren't beyond their capability.

It was nice of them to add the wood paneling too.

KoB
May 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It was nice of them to add the wood paneling too.

Maybe Quill wanted it that way? Being from 80s Earth and all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Van Dis posted:

I don't like unnecessary misogyny in movies even if it's in character so I didn't like that line either

You must've despised Breaking Bad.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Maybe this is low-hanging fruit, but I found Apollo 18 to be terribly dumb. The premise is that two astronauts are sent to the moon, where they encounter spider-like creatures that attack them and...eat them, or something. I can't exactly remember. But anyways - carnivorous creatures on the moon? What did they eat before the 1960s? Even if they're omnivores, it's not like moon dust has any nutrients. How do they survive without water? Without oxygen? How did they develop predatory instincts without any prey? I get that they were going for the idea that the moon is probably the loneliest, most isolated place to start having a monster problem, but it's just so implausible that it ruins the whole thing.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

Maybe this is low-hanging fruit, but I found Apollo 18 to be terribly dumb. The premise is that two astronauts are sent to the moon, where they encounter spider-like creatures that attack them and...eat them, or something. I can't exactly remember. But anyways - carnivorous creatures on the moon? What did they eat before the 1960s? Even if they're omnivores, it's not like moon dust has any nutrients. How do they survive without water? Without oxygen? How did they develop predatory instincts without any prey? I get that they were going for the idea that the moon is probably the loneliest, most isolated place to start having a monster problem, but it's just so implausible that it ruins the whole thing.

They're extremophiles that hibernate in the form of rocks, waiting for dumbass spacemen to collect them. Or something. The Alien is just as bad, if you think about their lifecycle/ utter lack of food.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Maybe this is low-hanging fruit, but I found Apollo 18 to be terribly dumb. The premise is that two astronauts are sent to the moon, where they encounter spider-like creatures that attack them and...eat them, or something. I can't exactly remember. But anyways - carnivorous creatures on the moon?

They're not carnivores, they're attacking cause the astronauts basically kicked a beehive.

And there is water on the Moon - at the south pole, which is where 18's lunar module lands.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ok, well that's a little more interesting - not the movie itself, mind you, just the premise.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Action Tortoise posted:

Spider-Man man movies,

Where the hell does Peter get his outfit?

Same for the newer films. Even Electro is in boxers for the early parts of his appearance and then a scene later he's got a jumpsuit with a lightning bolt on his arm.

From forever ago but I read the whole thread and hadn't seen this addressed:

I hear this complaint a LOT but it's really covered in ASM. They loving show him buying spandex and surfer stuff off the internet. There's an entire montage/scene dedicated to it where he silkscreens the web pattern on it and everything. It's always baffled me how people miss that.

For the Raimi films it's a legitimate bitch but for ASM it's not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stayne Falls posted:

Where do you think he got the giant tape deck for that spaceship? You think he just built that from memory?

No, I think the Ravagers stole some stuff while they were on Earth and Yondu gave it to Quill when he decided not to turn Quill over to his father. This makes more sense than either of the two alternate explanations for Quill having all kinds of junk but nothing more recent than his abduction, which are that Quill went back to Earth but spent his whole time in thrift stores, or that there is a thriving interstellar market for 80s Earth tat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

(Guardians)

Or he just bought them somewhere because he was deliberately seeking nostalgia.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LawfulWaffle posted:

Now that I've seen Guardians, I think I'll hope right back on the Marvel train. With this thread fresh in my head, I couldn't stop thinking critically about the movie's use of that Walkman. Super minor spoilers ahead: A lot of this stuff can be disregarded due to it's comic book/movie status, but I bet if you had one(?) tape and constantly carried your sentimental piece of Earth tech on your waist, one or both would be destroyed within 26 years. The tape from wear, the Walkman from rolling around and getting into fights.

Discussion of above super-minor spoiler (seriously, its not a plot point, its in the trailer), but the movie has been out about a week, so: I'm pretty sure that in super advanced marvel universe outer space there are people who could fix a walkman. The reason we dont isnt because its some unfixable technology, but because it is easier and cheaper to just get a new one. If you are light years from earth and it breaks, get the ships electrician to have a look at it. Now, realistically the tape would have stretched out or got chewed up at some point, but I handwave that one with "Yondu sees 8-year old Peters attachment to the tape, so has the magnetic ribbon treated with some high tech alien chemical to protect it from wear and tear". There is nothing in the movie to support this, but its not completely out of left field.

Jedit posted:

No, I think the Ravagers stole some stuff while they were on Earth and Yondu gave it to Quill when he decided not to turn Quill over to his father. This makes more sense than either of the two alternate explanations for Quill having all kinds of junk but nothing more recent than his abduction, which are that Quill went back to Earth but spent his whole time in thrift stores, or that there is a thriving interstellar market for 80s Earth tat.

That was my take on it too. While they were on earth they boosted some stuff, possibly mutilated some cows and probed some rednecks. They are thieves and scavangers, so while they were on earth anyway, might as well take anything easy to steal and transport, someone might want it. What quill has left is things that either no-one bought or he persuaded them to let him keep.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The makeup in TWD has also taken a hit since AMC cut the show's budget early on. In season 1 it was really well done but now a lot of the zombie effects are either also CGI or just kinda poorly put together. Sometimes you still get moments where they're like "Oh right, this is a zombie show better make the zombies look good" but of late it's been kinda meh.

Yeah, the special effects people seem to cut a few corners when they can.

This is a little more understandable but speaking of cost saving measures, the next time you're watching an episode of the Walking Dead try and notice how just about all the zombies are dressed. Tons of rotted out jeans and ankle length dresses and just about everyone is wearing some kind of ugly rear end long sleeve shirt.

Becoming a zombie must really suck - not only are you transformed into a ravenous member of the undead, driven by your hunger for human flesh and doomed to walk the earth for eternity, but you can't even put on a loving t-shirt anymore.

:smith:

PerilPastry has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Seventh Arrow posted:

I figured they were just really into moisture, what with the moon being pretty dry in general. So some dudes walking around all moist was just right up the rock spiders' alley.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Or after years and years and decades and centuries and millennia of living on the moon, maybe they were just bored.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Seventh Arrow posted:

Or after years and years and decades and centuries and millennia of living on the moon, maybe they were just bored.

Nah man, the moon's a great place, you've got rocks, and, like, bigger rocks.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BiggerBoat posted:

From forever ago but I read the whole thread and hadn't seen this addressed:

I hear this complaint a LOT but it's really covered in ASM. They loving show him buying spandex and surfer stuff off the internet. There's an entire montage/scene dedicated to it where he silkscreens the web pattern on it and everything. It's always baffled me how people miss that.

For the Raimi films it's a legitimate bitch but for ASM it's not.

I remember the silkscreening scene but forgot the part where he orders stuff online. It's not how he gets his materials that get me, it's just how his suits look so well made for a kid just scraping together cash. But I guess that says a lot about Peter's character to make the most with what he's got.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Morpheus posted:

Yeah but there's no atmosphere. :v:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

I remember the silkscreening scene but forgot the part where he orders stuff online. It's not how he gets his materials that get me, it's just how his suits look so well made for a kid just scraping together cash. But I guess that says a lot about Peter's character to make the most with what he's got.

It's just a speedskating suit with a custom mask with sunglass lesnes and some sperg-level detailed silkscreening on the suit and has some sneakers. That's the whole suit and it shouldn't have taken too long to make with some decent sewing skills and some free time.

The real question is how the hell Gwen sewed up the new suit for ASM2 (AKA: the best spidey movie suit) and made it look so nice since it was a totally custom job.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I post this in every "irrational movie moments' thread, but in Terminator 2, they explicitly establish that the resistance keeps dogs around in order to scope out and alert them to terminators. 'Wolfie' even barks when John calls home. Yet, when Arnie and Linda arrive at the weapons camp, there are dogs all over the place and none of them bark or react to Arnold at all.

edit:

Action Tortoise posted:

It's there and, for some reason, always gets my goat when people bitch about it because for once it's explicitly shown and, having built my own Spider-Man suit once for Halloween, I realize how tough it is to do. I didn't think the suite looked all that great in ASM 1. ASM2 is a different story because that poo poo looked sweet.

In the Raimi movies, he just magically goes from yard sale/wrestling costume to form fitting spandex with raised webbing inlays and custom inlaid lenses with no explanation at all but in ASM he hodge-podges it together form surfer, skater, skier, swimmer and jogger websites.

It's one of several things I liked about ASM over the Raimi trilogy and I'm always surprised when people miss that specific scene dealing with precisely that issue.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Aug 7, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BiggerBoat posted:

I post this in every "irrational movie moments' thread, but in Terminator 2, they explicitly establish that the resistance keeps dogs around in order to scope out and alert them to terminators. 'Wolfie' even barks when John calls home. Yet, when Arnie and Linda arrive at the weapons camp, there are dogs all over the place and none of them bark or react to Arnold at all.
Thats in the future, though. Isnt it? In the movie its the present, and the only resistance fighter is Kyle Reese, no? Wolfie was probably barking because its two owners just got killed and are lying dead on the floor.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

Thats in the future, though. Isnt it? In the movie its the present, and the only resistance fighter is Kyle Reese, no? Wolfie was probably barking because its two owners just got killed and are lying dead on the floor.

I think they meant the scene in old Mexico. With the huey on blocks and the underground weapons cache?

They already switched Arnie's soul from on to off. The only reason he can't cry at that point is because Skynet didn't install any tear ducts. :roboluv:

e: I meant from off to on, when they were at that gas station and unscrewed his skull and flipped a dip switch or w/e

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Aug 8, 2014

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Cage posted:

Wolfie was just fine.

Real talk, though, I think it was explained that dogs can smell/sense that Terminators (including the T-1000) aren't human and are barking at them, regardless, not that they're trained to detect them. Wolfie Max was barking because the T-1000 was there, and yeah, possibly because it had seen the T-1000 kill the foster mother.

That's a good point about the Mexican gun-runners' dogs not reacting to Uncle Bob, though.

Jay 2K Winger has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Aug 7, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

syscall girl posted:

I think they meant the scene in old Mexico. With the huey on blocks and the underground weapons cache?

They already switched Arnie's soul from on to off. The only reason he can't cry at that point is because Skynet didn't install any tear ducts. :roboluv:
Yeah, but how would Sarahs friend in Mexico know about terminators? How would the dogs sniff him out if terminators didnt exist, except for Arnold and and the T-1000? I know skynet exists but in the movie present but they haven't made terminators yet.

edit: I see what youre saying now, I still don't think its a plot hole though.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Dogs in the past still sense terminators, the one at the motel in the first movie sniffed out Arnie and the barking tipped off Reese, if I remember correctly.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Maybe the dogs just didn't care?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
The dogs don't bark at anyone covered in GSR.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cage posted:

I don't know. In Terminator, Kyle freaks out when he hears a dog barking while they're at the motel and tells Sarah that it's some sort of alarm bell to warn them of terminators so at the very least, he believes that dogs can sense them.

Keep in mind I'm in no way trying to be rational, I don't care if it's a plot hole and I love the Terminator movies so whatever.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Dogs in the past still sense terminators, the one at the motel in the first movie sniffed out Arnie and the barking tipped off Reese, if I remember correctly.

You remember correctly. That's what I meant.

syscall girl posted:

Exactly what I was referring to. There were dogs everywhere and none of them barked at Arnold. Like I said, I don't give a poo poo, but I remembered wondering why the dogs didn't bark at him even at the time I saw it in the theater. And I was peaking on acid at the time.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Aug 7, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched the new Amazing Spider-Man earlier. The first time Max Dillon shows up as electro he is in normal clothes and at first glance you can't see he's blue and freaky. A cop sees him and calls back up, and a few seconds later like eight police cars show up. That seems like a ridiculously over the top response. Maybe the code the police officer reported was a terrorist one hence the large and quick response, but a TV crew are already there and filming Max as well. All in the space of about a minute

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cage posted:

Yeah, but how would Sarahs friend in Mexico know about terminators?

She told every other guy she ever met, why not Enrique Salceda?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jedit posted:

She told every other guy she ever met, why not Enrique Salceda?

Yeah I originally thought that maybe the dogs needed to be trained to detect terminators. Then I thought "well poo poo if anyone would train their dogs to detect these fuckers it would be Sarah Conner's gun-hiding buddy" then I thought "wait, how the gently caress is he going to teach them to detect something that doesn't exist yet?" then I thought "wait, how did they teach the dogs in the future? It must be innate!" then I decided to MST3K Mantra it. It's still a great movie.

Morpheus posted:

Plus it smells like gunpowder.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Eh, dogs are stupid. They will or won't freak out and bark at any given thing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

EmmyOk posted:

I watched the new Amazing Spider-Man earlier. The first time Max Dillon shows up as electro he is in normal clothes and at first glance you can't see he's blue and freaky. A cop sees him and calls back up, and a few seconds later like eight police cars show up. That seems like a ridiculously over the top response. Maybe the code the police officer reported was a terrorist one hence the large and quick response, but a TV crew are already there and filming Max as well. All in the space of about a minute

The last movie had a humanoid lizard trying to turn NYC into Reptilopolis. The cops are probably on a hair trigger for anything that looks remotely suspicious.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

The last movie had a humanoid lizard trying to turn NYC into Reptilopolis. The cops are probably on a hair trigger for anything that looks remotely suspicious.

Yeah I guess, but even taking that as read the news crew showing up and showing everything on the big screens was silly.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Seriously, that's what irritates you? It's a movie where you've got a literal flying electric dude throwing lightning around and at the end a dude in a giant mech suit firing a gazillion bullets a second and the general public crowds around like it's some sort of spectator sport, parents with little kids and all.

It's all par for the course, and it doesn't make sense, but it's fun as hell.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Taeke posted:

Seriously, that's what irritates you?

PYF Rationally Irritating Movie Moments

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
It's best to assume ASM takes place in a parallel reality where news teams can instantaneously sense when a scoop's gonna happen and where the Sony Vaio dominated the laptop market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Do you expect me to believe that there was SONY advertising throughout ASM 2? No sir, I don't believe it :colbert: