Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Pacheeco posted:

Everything Daemons is cool until you start dying to Instability or passing out FNP like candy or failing your Grimoire roll every turn.

I am running them as allies for my CSM and have been loving them so far, despite initial reports, horrors are no joke this edition and really give a boost in the psychic phase. I want to go with a tzeench mono god allied detachment so flamers would fit nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BULBASAUR posted:

Really digging the respirator conversion

It's actually just the Dark Angels chief with all of the symbols scraped off; I didn't add the respirator. Thanks though!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BULBASAUR posted:

Kakaphonie- decent in 30k, pretty bad in 40k

?? Noise Marines are fantastic in 40k.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
They're a different thing.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Yeah, Kakophonie have guns that do a weird "take a Ld test or suffer extra wounds" kind of thing, which tends to be a lot less impressive than just straight-up Ignores Cover weapons. I don't think I'd call Noise Marines fantastic, but they are one of the better Troops available to CSM and against certain armies they can be extremely strong. But 20+pts per body is a lot to ask of a MEQ, at the end of the day.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Digging a slot for the flight stand was hard. The thing is really front-heavy due to all the poo poo hanging off it, and I couldn't go any further forward due to the metal barrel. It seems to fit just snugly now, though. I also found some more fuel tanks and guns from other kits, so now there's two 75mm PzIV guns on the wings. As suggested I cut the landing gears off, which wasn't a huge loss anyway since they were already collapsing from the sheer weight. Now there's two nice skids. Amazingly, it balances perfectly when pointed vertically on the tail.

I had an extra missile I couldn't feasibly fit anywhere, so I impaled it through the tail.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Shadeoses posted:

Digging a slot for the flight stand was hard. The thing is really front-heavy due to all the poo poo hanging off it, and I couldn't go any further forward due to the metal barrel. It seems to fit just snugly now, though. I also found some more fuel tanks and guns from other kits, so now there's two 75mm PzIV guns on the wings. As suggested I cut the landing gears off, which wasn't a huge loss anyway since they were already collapsing from the sheer weight. Now there's two nice skids. Amazingly, it balances perfectly when pointed vertically on the tail.

I had an extra missile I couldn't feasibly fit anywhere, so I impaled it through the tail.

This is orky as hell and also fuckin owns.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Shadeoses posted:

Digging a slot for the flight stand was hard.

I've found that, if all else fails, use a high-powered drill or a dremel with a large bit and just go at it like you don't give a poo poo. I had to do it when helping a friend with his custom Heldrake, and just using the dremel cut down on a lot of time and heartache. Just do it outside or in a well-ventilated area because more than likely the bit will be spinning so fast it'll melt some of the plastic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I am continually impressed with what can be made orky, and how much the conversions own :orks101:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I am running them as allies for my CSM and have been loving them so far, despite initial reports, horrors are no joke this edition and really give a boost in the psychic phase. I want to go with a tzeench mono god allied detachment so flamers would fit nicely.

Eventually you'll get a bad game where just nothing goes your way but that's the dice for you. I still like Daemons a lot but I've distanced myself from the Pink Horror + HoT power blob because it's nearly impossible to get a 3WC Flicker (from the Horrors), 2WC Prescience, 2WC Flicker (from the HoT) off now. Something always fails and at 7WC base cost + "insurance" dice you've pretty much used all your dice for the phase compared to 6e when all you had to do was pass three LD10 Psychic Tests. I can just find a better, more reliable, use for those points now.

I had a ton of success from running two barebones 11 model Horror units last time I played though; they didn't cast any powers but they racked me up a ton of VP. 99 points for an ObjSec Troop that gives 2WC to my pool really helped my "new" psychic powerhouses: Heralds of Slaanesh, the Keeper of Secrets and Slaanesh Bio Princes. Going full Telepathy and Biomancy is vicious.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 6, 2014

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I realized what was bothering me about the new vehicle damage table. The bonuses to explode should've started at AP3. It should've sufficed in making light arms less deadly to light vehicles while still allowing for one shots with anti tank weapons.

I just its extremely goofy that a direct hit with a battle or rocket can't one shot even the lightest of vehicles

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I realized what was bothering me about the new vehicle damage table. The bonuses to explode should've started at AP3. It should've sufficed in making light arms less deadly to light vehicles while still allowing for one shots with anti tank weapons.

I just its extremely goofy that a direct hit with a battle or rocket can't one shot even the lightest of vehicles

AP3 weapons are in a really weird place. Personally, I think everything that's currently AP1 should be AP2, almost everything that's currently AP2 should be AP3, and then the antitank bonuses should be for AP2 and AP3 instead of AP1 and AP2.

Alternatively, make Terminator armour confer a 1+ save.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Thundercracker posted:

Without this change, dreadnoughts are unusable rear end though

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

TheChirurgeon posted:

Without this change, dreadnoughts are unusable rear end though

*Murderass

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I know it's more of the same Tyranid bitching, but the change to the damage table really messed up nids.

They have literally two shooting in the codex that can blow up a vehicle. One is strength 7, so it can't blow up armor 13 or 14, the other is a mastry level 2 psychic power.

I WISH Nids had something like lascannons or missile launchers. Heck, I may even run pyrovores if they had a melta cannon. (haha, no I wouldn't)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

I know it's more of the same Tyranid bitching, but the change to the damage table really messed up nids.

They have literally two shooting in the codex that can blow up a vehicle. One is strength 7, so it can't blow up armor 13 or 14, the other is a mastry level 2 psychic power.

I WISH Nids had something like lascannons or missile launchers. Heck, I may even run pyrovores if they had a melta cannon. (haha, no I wouldn't)

The annoying part is that even glancing down AV 13/14 is expensive, as your options are either one S9 blast or two S10 shots at BS3 - both of which are around 200pts. It would have been nice if the lack of AP was made up for by better rate of fire, or even just letting you put two HVCs on something.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Master Twig posted:

The thing to keep in mind is that AP2/1 weapons got worse, comparatively, in 7th edition. Previously your Lascannon rolling on the damage table had a 33% chance of destroying a tank instantly, and a Meltagun had a 50% chance. Now those numbers are down to 15% and 33%, respectively, which is a major downgrade in reliability. By comparison, a weapon that is killing purely by removing Hull Points- i.e. most all of the Tyranid guns- is pretty much exactly as effective as it was before.

The nerf to Smash Attack is definitely painful (and also Hammer of Wrath ends up being a small thing as well), but those are largely a separate issue. For the S6/8 multishot weapons that generally define Tyranid anti-tank shooting, the new edition doesn't really hurt them at all.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

In conclusion, play Necrons. 1500 points can get you 6+ AV13 vehicles. :getin:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Or space wolves, where 1500 points can get you 4 flyers with templates of doom.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Direwolf posted:

*Murderass

Bloodshit Murderass

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Moola posted:

Bloodshit Murderass

No, Bloodshit is what happens after you murder their rear end

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

What monstrous creatures need is for the Smash rule to give units tank hunter in close combat. Basically combine their effectiveness in 5th edition against vehicles with the ability to trade in all their attacks for one really strong one, but not make them too ridiculous against infantry.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Master Twig posted:

What monstrous creatures need is for the Smash rule to give units tank hunter in close combat. Basically combine their effectiveness in 5th edition against vehicles with the ability to trade in all their attacks for one really strong one, but not make them too ridiculous against infantry.

you reroll your pens anyways, so technically they already have it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Hencoe posted:

you reroll your pens anyways, so technically they already have it.

He probably meant armorbane as he referred to 5th edition

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Yes, I did mean armorbane. Strength +2d6 against vehicles.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Despite how it hurt Tyranids, I think the change to Smash was a good thing. It means that the Strength value on MCs isn't just completely irrelevant- previously, the S5 Harpy and S10 Wraithknight were almost exactly as effective at killing tanks despite wildly varying statlines (and even number of attacks.) It also means that MCs don't just crush any character they fight that doesn't have Eternal Warrior, and it makes MC vs MC or MC vs Walker combats more nuanced. I would really prefer it it allowed you to reroll hits or failed wounds or something else, but all in all it's a good change.

The problem for Tyranids is more that they have an incredibly shittily-written codex, not that the fundamental mechanics of the game are against them. The lack of any access to invulnerable saves, the consistently-mediocre statlines, the grossly-overcosted units, the arbitrary inability to use many of the normal parts of the game that other armies have access to- these are the problems. Vehicles? Vehicles are not really a probem for Tyranids anymore.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Smash used to be ultra good, so it makes sense to slow it down, but now it's quite rough. I thought it needed some initiative penalty to represent the Kurk double-hand chop but probably not as much a penalty as it is now.

In 7th Smash should probably include Auto-hit + AP1. I can see how it would benefit baby MCs like Necron Spyders more than 5-attack Demons but having to swing even with 66% sucks rear end when you only have one shot. Not to mention old smash on 355pt I8 daemons was not enough to reliably attack Knights, now we can't even kill it without our crappy shooting helping out first.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Starting this weekend, my little (5-6 people) gaming group is rolling out a group-wide houserule that for as long as models survive and don't change their wargear, their controllers can choose to keep their Warlord Traits and/or Psychic Powers from game to game. This could theoretically lead to rad collusion, where say I have a Librarian model with the Infiltrate 3 Units Warlord trait I can lend him to my buddy to help out his Guardsmen for a game. But if he gets him killed off, I have to start fresh.

We've done stuff like this before in a campaign context, but this is a step toward essentially saying that everything we do is already part of one big narrative and we might as well have the rules start reflecting that.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Oh, hey look, NoVA is really close all a sudden. I am not even sure what army I want to bring, I have been out of it for a bit now. I have 0 chances of making a big impact but I want to have some fun.

MSP is not 100% sure if he can make it this year which is a scary thought, real life is taking priority.

This is a list that is similar to the Daemonblog guy. It is trying to be anti-knight and MSU as best chaos can. Nurgle spawn or buffed Tzeentch oblits are not the worst thing to throw at Knights apparently which were the most popular thing in the BAO or ATC or whatever was recent. That is a lot of CSM I would need to paint. Maybe I will just go with my usual Daemon List which is a bit FMC heavy but I am not going to win anyway.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BAO is the one that just went where Space Marines with IK allies took the title, so having anti-Knight tech is a must these days. I know one person in my local meta never leaves home without at least one of them, and they're frustrating to play against without the right tools for the job. The drat things should either be normal vehicles or superheavies, so they either ignore most of the vehicle damage chart or ignore the 'taking 3 wounds/HP off a superheavy' rules, not both.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

The drat things should either be normal vehicles or superheavies, so they either ignore most of the vehicle damage chart or ignore the 'taking 3 wounds/HP off a superheavy' rules, not both.
If Knights gave up a VP for every 3HP you did to them, they would be complete garbage. Also, the whole Through Attrition, Victory rule is only used in Escalation missions now- it is not a function of merely being a Lord of War unit.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Oh really? I thought that was always considered to be in use when a Lord of War was on the table. That makes the current trend of special character Lords of War a lot more palatable. Knights are still unbearable to play against if you haven't got the tools for the job (Daemons, Tyranids and Orks to a lesser extent have trouble with AV13) and it can really suck the fun out of a game if the other player throws a full army of them on the table, thus making the 30+ bolter marines in the army useless, unless walkers aren't only hit by grenades on a 6 and 'always turn to face their attacker' anymore.
So the rumour mill seems adamant that GKs are next up after Space Wolves

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Back in 3rd and 4th my least favorite armies to play against were Armoured Company IG, and I can see some similarities between those and Knights, so I understand why they'd be frustrating to play against. (No one in my group has a Knight and I'm the likeliest person to get one next). At the same time, it doesn't really seem worse than 6 Wave Serpents or a bunch of flyers or whatever, so I feel like you should just ask your friends to take softer lists in casual play.

As far as competitive play goes, I play WMH tournaments so I'm used to every opponent bringing some kind of horrible skew and having to use all of my guile and scenario skills to steal victory. I'm not a competitive 40k player but 5 Knights seems pretty vincible compared to eMorvahna's Reeve party or the Miserable Meat Mountain or Saeryn or pDeneghra's new theme force or Harbinger or...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

So the rumour mill seems adamant that GKs are next up after Space Wolves

Hasn't it alternated Imperium/other since early 3rd, White Dwarf supplements notwithstanding? I think they're misinterpreting the rumor that Grey Knights show up in the third Sanctus Reach supplement, which could mean anything.

Dreadknights are conceptually my least favorite models in the game (way worse than Lords of Skulls and the Wolf Chariot, in my opinion) so I'd love for them to quietly disappear forever, like Pariahs, Wulfen, and Sisters of Battle.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pariahs no longer exist? Is there still a Necron unit that represents fleshy mortals converted to the deathless will of the C'tan?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

zeal posted:

Pariahs no longer exist? Is there still a Necron unit that represents fleshy mortals converted to the deathless will of the C'tan?

I'm not aware of one, though I very well might be mistaken. Either way, I'd really like to see Pariahs in the new Necron Codex; maybe they could generate extra Warp Charge dice during opponents' turns or something.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aww. The C'tan resuming their project with the new short-lived, desperate species sprawled over their galaxy was one of my favorite parts of their fluff.

Which brings me to another question. Back when I collected, in 4E, there was a little fluff in the Necron and Tau codices that hinted at links between them, egged on by things like the Ethereal brow-crease looking oddly similar to the same feature on the Deceiver C'tan, their species-wide lack of a connection to the Warp, and their startlingly rapid progress from sticks and stones to starships (~3,000 years, iirc). Has the fluff of subsequent editions picked up on those threads at all, hinting at dark purposes behind the Ethereals or unknown manipulations behind their rise to power?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So now that we're a few weeks removed from it, I thought I'd share a genuine horror story from my FLGS. A cautionary tale about mixing your game life and real life...

We had a guy join our campaign and group, none of us really knew him, and he seemed alright (aside from the facial tattoos, but I don't judge). He brought his Orks, and was a fun guy to be around for the first few weeks. We'll call him Fred, for the purposes of this story.

One day, Fred added me as a friend on Facebook. Since we do our campaign talk via a FB group, I've added a few of the guys from the group as "friends" and it has been a generally pleasant experience (and several have wormed their way into my real life group of friends, and it's been great). So, I didn't think anything of it. Then that Malaysian flight, MH17, was shot down in the Ukraine. I made a post about how I saw some of the pictures from the wreckage, and how horrible it was, and how I hoped whichever side was responsible would see justice. At the time, everyone was fairly certain it was the pro-Russian rebels, so that's the direction the discussion goes.

Fred loses his poo poo on my facebook wall. The thread went crazy, with Fred going all over the map, beginning with his calm support for the "mighty Russian military", something about the 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS, then declared I was a part of a secret pro-fascist junta, then he just started calling me a Nazi, and my friends Nazis (because apparently the Nazis run the Ukraine, and by being anti-"anyone who shoots down a passenger plane" - there's a chance I side with the Ukrainians, which therefore makes me a Nazi. :effort:

Fred's crazytown bananapants shenanigans then got very real when he started making physical threats against my friends, and to me regarding what would happen if I returned to the game store, and he started dropping references to his ties to and membership of SHARP (skinheads against racial prejudice, a skinhead gang, note: skinheads were a punk thing before they were a racist thing, and not all skinheads are racists, TMYK).

So the group saw what was happening, and everyone was a little timid to just kick him out of the group (for obvious reasons). I had a talk with one of the managers, privately, about what had occurred, as he and I are friends and he saw what went down firsthand. He was going to make the owner aware, so that I didn't need to fear coming to the store, but Fred backed out on his own, and things went back to normal. I haven't seen him at the store since.

Needless to say, the moral of the story is: 1. Don't mix your game life with your real life. Hams are crazy. 2. It's probably OK to judge people for facial tattoos.

So, now, if I die in some random skinhead gang attack, you all know why.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's the general rule for painting ork jets? Red, yellow, and purple are all good colours, plus I guess checkerboard patterns and rude slogans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

zeal posted:

Aww. The C'tan resuming their project with the new short-lived, desperate species sprawled over their galaxy was one of my favorite parts of their fluff.

Which brings me to another question. Back when I collected, in 4E, there was a little fluff in the Necron and Tau codices that hinted at links between them, egged on by things like the Ethereal brow-crease looking oddly similar to the same feature on the Deceiver C'tan, their species-wide lack of a connection to the Warp, and their startlingly rapid progress from sticks and stones to starships (~3,000 years, iirc). Has the fluff of subsequent editions picked up on those threads at all, hinting at dark purposes behind the Ethereals or unknown manipulations behind their rise to power?

Necron fluff got 100% rebooted in their most recent codex. C'tan are now basically prisoners of the Necrons who have like a egyptian feudal lords thing going on.

• Locked thread