Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Occupy Atlanta is still at it, protesting Fannie Mae's evictions of poor veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Article II Section 4 posted:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

quote:

By this term are included all officers of the United States who hold their appointments under the national government, whether their duties are executive or judicial, in the highest or the lowest departments; of the government, with the exception of officers of the army and navy.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/nominations-and-appointments

I see the names of 1,471 people that could use a good impeachment, what do you think?

e: My mistake, 240 have not been confirmed. Still, 1,231 impeachment proceedings is the only logical measure given this President's lawlessness.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 7, 2014

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Avalanche posted:

gently caress the VA and everyone that works there. All providers and staff are clearly at fault for not being able to hack it.

10:1 patient/nurse ratio? Nurses should be running half marathons daily in preparation.
Salaries often below the median for any given profession? gently caress you, you are on the govt. dole.
Outdated equipment? Well, if it worked in 1972 there's no reason why it shouldn't work now.

We don't need to increase the VA budget to hire more staff/modernize equipment to fix the "VA problem". What we should do is turn all VA hospital waiting rooms into a Korean War vet against Vietnam vet Thunderdome, and only let the most badass see a doc for treatment of service connected conditions.

Actually, lets just dump the entire VA altogether and build 2 more F35s.

You could just increase the number of $14/hr workers residents that already work there. But that would require more government spending and Medicare expansion, and we can't have that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/nominations-and-appointments

I see the names of 1,471 people that could use a good impeachment, what do you think?

e: My mistake, 240 have not been confirmed. Still, 1,231 impeachment proceedings is the only logical measure given this President's lawlessness.

I wonder if by impeachment proceeding 85, The Architect of the Capitol, even the guy who made the Obama-witchdoctor poster would think it a bit much.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gyges posted:

I wonder if by impeachment proceeding 85, The Architect of the Capitol, even the guy who made the Obama-witchdoctor poster would think it a bit much.

Michele might even be able to persuade one of her colleagues to impeach the Architect of the Capitol, since that's who made Steve Stockman take down his "Obama Failometer" poster.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Michele might even be able to persuade one of her colleagues to impeach the Architect of the Capitol, since that's who made Steve Stockman take down his "Obama Failometer" poster.

I feel like I have let down the Founding Fathers since I'd forgotten all about the completely objective and mathematically derived Obama Failometer.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Shear Modulus posted:

e: Anecdote since this comes up in this thread recently: One of their recent editorial pieces (it was about the Scotland independence referendum) used the word "statist" unironically about economic policy. It made me wonder whether that newly created slur had been a top-down or bottom-up creation.

Has there ever been a right-wing ANYTHING that was not a top-down creation?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

Has there ever been a right-wing ANYTHING that was not a top-down creation?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

So I was just listening to Mark Levin's show from yesterday and he talked at length about how Obama's worst abuse of power yet is set to happen at the end of the summer. He was very vague on what that would be though. Did I miss some Fox News rumor or is this just generic fearmongering?

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 7, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gail Wynand posted:

So I was just listening to Mark Levin's show from yesterday and he talked at length about how Obama's worse abuse of power yet is set to happen at the end of the summer. He was very vague on what that would be though. Did I miss some Fox News rumor or is this just generic fearmongering?

Probably referring to the rumblings about executive-order amnesty for immigrants. If that actually happens I think at least five right-wing blowhards will die from apoplexy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whatever Obama does is the worst thing ever so I assume Levin is predicting Obama will walk his dog or eat a hamburger with mustard again.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If nothing happens you can always just make something up.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Gail Wynand posted:

So I was just listening to Mark Levin's show from yesterday and he talked at length about how Obama's worst abuse of power yet is set to happen at the end of the summer. He was very vague on what that would be though. Did I miss some Fox News rumor or is this just generic fearmongering?

Obama will be black and president, therefore the worst tyrant since Trotsky.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Obama will make the trees wither and die.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Obama will give food to the hungry and clothe the needy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Did he share an Inception-like dream with Beck?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Remember how a ton of companies (particularly pharma) have been moving their corporate headquarters to the UK in name only in order to dodge a fuckton of US taxes through what is called an "inversion"?

It looks like the Treasury has figured out a way to kneecap them by preventing a common accounting trick that moves profits offshore by loading up the US division with a ton of debt for which the interest payments are deductible:

quote:

The latter portion of the Treasury statement may refer to a practice known as earnings stripping, in which companies with legal addresses outside the U.S. load up their U.S. subsidiaries with debt and other deductions. Although they are still subject to U.S. income taxes on their domestic profits, the companies are able to push those profits outside the U.S.

A 2007 Treasury Department study found evidence that inverted companies engage in earnings stripping.

Stephen Shay, the former top international tax lawyer at Treasury, suggested two possibilities for addressing inversions, both of which he said could be accomplished by regulation.

One would characterize some debt of inverted companies as equity. That would prevent companies from engaging in earnings stripping because they wouldn’t be able to get the same deductions for interest expenses in the U.S.

As you can imagine the usual suspects who benefit from such accounting trickery are really mad:

quote:

Hello? That sure sounds like rewriting tax law by executive fiat, which violates the Constitution's separation of powers. The rewrite is all the more legally suspicious since no one at Treasury or the Justice Department seems to have been aware of this power before Mr. Obama began denouncing the "unpatriotic tax loophole." From where does Mr. Lew derive this power to act like a one-man Ways and Means Committee?

The best part of the proposed change in treatment is that companies which have already inverted are going to be royally hosed because their planned upon tax dodge is going to go poof.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
HAHAHAHAHA gently caress them all.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Obama will give food to the hungry and clothe the needy.

Shoe the children, with no shoes on their feet. House the people, living in the streets.

edit: I like how when Walgreens backed down their stock price fell significantly because doing the right thing is bad for shareholders. :qq:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 7, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fried Chicken posted:

So we are almost out of money to fight wildfires

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/money-allocated-suppressing-fires-run-out

Cool, not like we are in the middle if a huge multistate drought or anything that would leave a lot if dry, flammable material around. Everything is awesome

Huh. Well, shucks, that's a shame.

Now let's buy another F-35! Why? We don't know! :downs:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Shifty Pony posted:

Remember how a ton of companies (particularly pharma) have been moving their corporate headquarters to the UK in name only in order to dodge a fuckton of US taxes through what is called an "inversion"?

It looks like the Treasury has figured out a way to kneecap them by preventing a common accounting trick that moves profits offshore by loading up the US division with a ton of debt for which the interest payments are deductible:

As you can imagine the usual suspects who benefit from such accounting trickery are really mad:

The best part of the proposed change in treatment is that companies which have already inverted are going to be royally hosed because their planned upon tax dodge is going to go poof.

In a just world, these people would be decorating lampposts.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Sorry, no raises for anyone in US because as you can see, we're in debt! We don't have money for raises or bonuses (unless you're in the C- Suite)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Shifty Pony posted:

This is really interesting. Just a few days ago I was talking with someone about how there was no chance inversions were going to see a meaningful change until the next large scandal forces Congress's hand.

I'd really like to see the specifics of treasury's proposed changes and an explanation of how they have the authority to make them.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Good Citizen posted:

This is really interesting. Just a few days ago I was talking with someone about how there was no chance inversions were going to see a meaningful change until the next large scandal forces Congress's hand.

I'd really like to see the specifics of treasury's proposed changes and an explanation of how they have the authority to make them.

Well, you see, Obama. And furthermore, Benghazi and remember the 17.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Shoe the children, with no shoes on their feet. House the people, living in the streets.

edit: I like how when Walgreens backed down their stock price fell significantly because doing the right thing is bad for shareholders. :qq:

The disgusting thing is that these inversions are absolutely godawful for long-term shareholders. The instant the inversion occurs you owe capital gains on all the stock you had.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Wrong again.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SquadronROE posted:

Well, you see, Obama. And furthermore, Benghazi and remember the 17.

Did you quote the wrong post or something?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

In a just world, these people would be decorating lampposts.

Well that's the general non-financial-industry consensus yes. That makes for godawful optics for the GOP if they oppose the treasury moving on inversions. It is one thing to sit back and stymie any fixes to the tax code in committee but it is quite another to go out and advocate for what most people would see as the worst kind of BS corporate tax dodging.

Then again they are suing Obama over not implementing a law they hate fast enough so...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

TheRamblingSoul posted:

This is just a reminder that funding for fighting wildfires was included alongside supplemental funding for Israel's Iron Dome project and some other funding Obama requested in the Senate.

For some strange reason the House decided only the Iron Dome project was worth funding at the Senate's funding level before they skipped town and didn't bother moving on an older bipartisan bill on wildfire funding. :patriot:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

TheRamblingSoul posted:

If you park an F-35 in an at-risk area, it will explode so you can start a controlled burn to reduce the amount of flammable material.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Well that's the general non-financial-industry consensus yes. That makes for godawful optics for the GOP if they oppose the treasury moving on inversions. It is one thing to sit back and stymie any fixes to the tax code in committee but it is quite another to go out and advocate for what most people would see as the worst kind of BS corporate tax dodging.

Then again they are suing Obama over not implementing a law they hate fast enough so...

I could see them framing it as government over-reach to enact new taxes or something to get the people that it wouldn't affect whatsoever all riled up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They may even offer a counter proposal to reduce taxes / offer some tax holiday.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Badera posted:

Wrong again.

Who gave the top-down directive then

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Dreylad posted:

Occupy Atlanta is still at it, protesting Fannie Mae's evictions of poor veterans.

I know some of the people in that video, they do good work.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

SedanChair posted:

Who gave the top-down directive then

It was my understanding that the whole thing was run/operated by the white upper class in the south following Reconstruction

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Depends on which "Klan" iteration it was.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Gail Wynand posted:

Probably Obama's executive action which outlaws all viewings of Michelle Obama's whitey tape.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCOh5aETHg

A Republican did something funny. :psyduck:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

The disgusting thing is that these inversions are absolutely godawful for long-term shareholders. The instant the inversion occurs you owe capital gains on all the stock you had.

I have the impression that most people buying/selling individual stocks don't care about the long (10+ years) term. Then you have the kind of people that are long term investors but behave like short term investors.

Heck even the CEOs of most companies are only there for a little awhile. Average CEO tenure is only 4.6 years.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Badera posted:

It was my understanding that the whole thing was run/operated by the white upper class in the south following Reconstruction

Nathan Bedford Forrest was an antebellum 1%er, I assume he stayed rich after the war, too.

• Locked thread