Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

PirateNipple posted:

I'm probably like 10 pages past it, but what was the consensus on Crypt of the Necrodancer? How complete does it feel right now? Is there enough variety?

The game looks awesome but if the rhythm gimmick is pretty short lived and there's not much else there, I might have to pass :ohdear:

The rhythm gimmick is great, it defines how the game is different from other RLs. You have to work with the beat and think fast because of it. It's possible to skip a few beats, but everything around you still moves. The items are fun and tailored to the gameplay.

That being said, it might not have enough content yet for $15 unless you like the beat-based gameplay. I love the game but I want more of it and I could see others regretting the purchase at full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Considering there's no difference in how the game looks and the updated was way smaller than the size it would need to be for an engine update, it's infinitely more likely that Hammer 2014 just has stuff that references Source 2 in it (because it's the level editor for Source 2).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wish they would stop throwing lovely coupons at people (namely me). I get home from work, check Steam, green envelope, must be something important, oh wait, it's just some dumb coupons for random games I wouldn't buy anyway. It's basically in-client spam that cannot be disabled. The coupons don't even have good discounts when compared to daily/event sales. First world problems and all, but what's even the point?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yodzilla posted:

Eh, I'd play it for maybe $20.
Nah, $10 max. It's just an AAA+ minigame.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

computer parts posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned here but Valve has ported Dota 2 to the Source 2 engine and you can play around with the dev tools:

Something has definitely changed, as a cursory look at the updated Dota console and map editor, Hammer, make clear. If Source 2 is going to be the backbone of all Valve’s upcoming releases though and its most valuable current release, it seems likely that any release would be as much a test of newly efficient systems rather than a statement of any kind. If you want to see how a million computers handle the skeleton of a new engine, Dota 2 is one of the most useful delivery vehicles any company could have.
[/quote]

Source2? What's that mean?

quote:

Quite what this means, it’s impossible to say at the moment

Oh okay.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

It's basically in-client spam that cannot be disabled. The coupons don't even have good discounts when compared to daily/event sales. First world problems and all, but what's even the point?
It lets you trade with TrashBot to up your "completed trades" score. :devil:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Yeah I think I'd maybe rather watch a walkthrough of it on Youtube instead

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

Beat Octodad last night as well as Metal Gear Rising.

Octodad: Great game, and my kids really enjoyed the ride. I'll try to find every tie now and get some of the additional achievements, as my kids (and even wife) laugh at my bumbling around. Solid game all around, but I cannot imagine playing it without a controller. Holy moly.

Metal Gear Rising: I am dumb as poo poo for waiting this long to finish this game. I've even have had it since release! I originally only played through half of mission 3 or so before getting distracted. I would say that the final boss battle was incredible, but every Goddamn boss battle is incredible. They really did a fantastic job on all accounts, especially the music. That music gets me pumped as hell when the vocals kick in. I am going to keep playing this game to try and get S on every mission, although I can immediately think of a few areas where that is going to be very tough. I may have to abuse the checkpoint restart feature so I don't have to keep replaying entire levels. This is also the only game that made me feel like a badass every time a QTE came up. I was seriously stoked to see a QTE because I knew some crazy poo poo was about to go down. Everyone owes it to themselves to play this game.

Nice work! I finished Octodad with K/M, but it was a chore.

I've been working on my backlog as well:

Watch_Dogs - beat it last night (thanks for the gift Fart!). 9/10. Took me 41 hours, but I did A LOT of side quests. When I was done, I wanted more, so that tells me it's a great game in my books. The environmental manipulation with the cell phone was really unique to me, and really made the gameplay fun. Heard future DLC will be a new city, so I'm definitely in for that. I have it up there with Sleeping Dogs, the main difference gameplay-wise is Sleeping Dogs has the awesome melee combat, and Watch_Dogs has the basic stealth with environmental manipulation. I've never seen proximity mines used better in a game, and those along with the pump-action grenade launcher were my go to weapons. Some people hated the storyline, and the main character was not that interesting, but the gameplay was so good that it didn't bother me.

Wolfenstein: New Order - beat it on Monday (thanks for the gift Manac0r!). 8/10. The shooting in the game was excellent. Probably some of the best I've played in years. Also liked the basic stealth gameplay until the later levels when it was useless, and it was just a shooting gallery where I was the target. This part really turned me off, and it felt like a slog trying to finish off the game. LOVED the first half, and got soured with the second half. I'd still recommend it to any FPS fans though, as it's some of the best ever.

Wolf Among Us - beat it in July (Thanks for the gift Fart!). 8.5/10. Like most others, LOVED the first episode. I played it when it first came out. Then waited for the rest of the episodes to come out before tackling the rest. I felt the rest of the episodes made me like it a little less each time, and did not like the ending at all. Still prefer it over Walking Dead, and would recommend it to anyone slightly interested. I went in not knowing anything about the Fables series, but really liked the world/setting. I can see how it makes people interested in reading the comics.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 7, 2014

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Ragequit posted:

Metal Gear Rising: I am dumb as poo poo for waiting this long to finish this game. I've even have had it since release! I originally only played through half of mission 3 or so before getting distracted. I would say that the final boss battle was incredible, but every Goddamn boss battle is incredible. They really did a fantastic job on all accounts, especially the music. That music gets me pumped as hell when the vocals kick in. I am going to keep playing this game to try and get S on every mission, although I can immediately think of a few areas where that is going to be very tough. I may have to abuse the checkpoint restart feature so I don't have to keep replaying entire levels. This is also the only game that made me feel like a badass every time a QTE came up. I was seriously stoked to see a QTE because I knew some crazy poo poo was about to go down. Everyone owes it to themselves to play this game.

You also played through the DLC, right? Abusing the checkpoint/restart is standard MO for S-ranking stuff, even copying save files because a lot of boss battles checkpoint you midway through so there's no way to restart them from the beginning. Especially important for trying to no-damage the last boss, since getting hit might trigger the next phase of the boss fight and a checkpoint.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

grancheater posted:

You also played through the DLC, right? Abusing the checkpoint/restart is standard MO for S-ranking stuff, even copying save files because a lot of boss battles checkpoint you midway through so there's no way to restart them from the beginning. Especially important for trying to no-damage the last boss, since getting hit might trigger the next phase of the boss fight and a checkpoint.

I have not played the DLC yet, but I would hope it is of the same quality as the main game.

Kragger99 posted:

Wolf Among Us - beat it in July (Thanks for the gift Fart!). 8.5/10. Like most others, LOVED the first episode. I played it when it first came out. Then waited for the rest of the episodes to come out before tackling the rest. I felt the rest of the episodes made me like it a little less each time, and did not like the ending at all. Still prefer it over Walking Dead, and would recommend it to anyone slightly interested. I went in not knowing anything about the Fables series, but really liked the world/setting. I can see how it makes people interested in reading the comics.

I pretty much agree with this on all accounts.

I also finished Sniper Elite V2 the other day. Decent game with fun kill cams, but boy was I annoyed with the eagle vision every enemy seemed to have. Head sticking out of cover from 600 meters away? Every enemy can see you! It requires you to stealth as much as possible on harder difficulties, but that isn't always possible when there aren't loud noises (bombs/lightning/etc.) to cover the shot of your rifle. Are the additonal level DLCs fun at all? I might pick them up the next time it's on sale.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So Nosgoth is free for the weekend (normally you have to buy into the 'early access' for a couple of quid) And I have to say it's pretty fun. Imagine Gears of War multiplayer crossed with Left4Dead. It's set in the Legacy Of Kain world if that interests you(I never played them).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone who likes slower-paced, objective-focused team-based FPSes should check out Insurgency since it's a free weekend. It's the commercial version of the old Insurgency HL2 mod and it's pretty drat good. If you want a rough idea of how it plays, it's been described as "halfway between Counter-Strike and ArmA" before and that's a more or less accurate shorthand.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

In other doom-clone news, EA is giving you a week of BF4 for free.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is the Saints Row IV complete pack worth it for USD 20 or does it go lower during season sales?

I'm in no rush to get it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm probably biased, but yes.

Note that for an extra eight bucks you get 2 and 3 (with everything) as well.

Go watch Edna Mode's LP of 1, grab Gentlemen of the Row (for 2) and Gentlemen of Steelport (for 3), and do a grand tour.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

I also finished Sniper Elite V2 the other day. Decent game with fun kill cams, but boy was I annoyed with the eagle vision every enemy seemed to have. Head sticking out of cover from 600 meters away? Every enemy can see you! It requires you to stealth as much as possible on harder difficulties, but that isn't always possible when there aren't loud noises (bombs/lightning/etc.) to cover the shot of your rifle. Are the additonal level DLCs fun at all? I might pick them up the next time it's on sale.
Sniper elite V3 fixes most of those issues.
It's by far the best sniper game I've ever played.
They revamped the stealth system with a decent cool down timer/last seen spot that makes a world of difference.
If you're spotted, a silouette of you is shown, and the enemies focus on that spot. You can move to different cover (seems to be plenty on all levels), and they won't know unless you're wide open/seen. The levels feel much more open as well, which was a problem in the first game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is the Saints Row IV complete pack worth it for USD 20 or does it go lower during season sales?

I'm in no rush to get it.

Don't waste your money. Buy SR4 vanilla for $10 and the Season Pass for $2.50. Those're the only ones you need, as they are the only story additions. If you want to buy random skins or whatever, that's up to you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Here's an interesting Humble Bundle Weekly:

$1

One Way Heroics
Unholy Heights
Gigantic Army

$6

Ys Origin
Pixeljunk Shooter
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

$10

Astebreed

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

One way heroics is really cheap looking but it's pretty fun for a buck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Quest For Glory II posted:

drat, that's a good bundle.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

Sniper elite V3 fixes most of those issues.
It's by far the best sniper game I've ever played.
They revamped the stealth system with a decent cool down timer/last seen spot that makes a world of difference.
If you're spotted, a silouette of you is shown, and the enemies focus on that spot. You can move to different cover (seems to be plenty on all levels), and they won't know unless you're wide open/seen. The levels feel much more open as well, which was a problem in the first game.

V2 has the silhouette as well, but it really didn't seem to help much, if at all. I just watched some videos of V3 and it looks pretty great. Plus kill cams of vehicles! I'll be sure to check it out at some point.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

$1
One Way Heroics
Unholy Heights
Gigantic Army

$6
Ys Origin
Pixeljunk Shooter
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

$10
Astebreed
Only duff one here is Mitsurugi. Everything else are very good games.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Delusibeta posted:

Only duff one here is Mitsurugi. Everything else are very good games.
If anything, that Mitsurugi game is worth getting if only because the cards still sell for like .40 a piece. But is that Y's game one of the good ones? I seem to recall some people asking a week or so ago, and someone gave a break down regarding which Y's game was good or not.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

$1

One Way Heroics
Unholy Heights
Gigantic Army

$6

Ys Origin
Pixeljunk Shooter
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

$10

Astebreed

That's a really good bundle.

Some highlights:

• One Way Heroics: Randomly generated roguelike where a wall of darkness is constantly eating away at the left side of the screen. You need to be constantly moving right and trying to defeat the lord of darkness, but you don't want to dawdle too long or you'll get trapped. Looks like an RPG Maker game, but is programmed in this guy's own engine.

• Ys Origin: Fun as hell Action RPG with three separate campaigns. The story is set 700 years before the first game in the series, but you don't need to have played that to enjoy Origin. Easily worth 6 dollars.

• Pixeljunk Shooter: Odd twinstick shooter where you're trying to save a bunch of scientists from the hazards deep in the caverns of an alien world. You need to use various environmental effects like shooting a wall to let water flow into lava to proceed.

• Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae: This game looks skeevy as hell, but the combat system is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Isn't worth the bundle for that alone, but if you're getting it anyways, I suggest trying it out.

• Astebreed: Cool shmup made by the people who did Ether Vapor Remaster. Involves a regenerating shield system, changing perspectives, lock-on targeting, and tons of loving bullets. Well worth 10 bucks.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So, uh... Cloud Chamber? Any thoughts?

It looks like something with a spark of innovation and the potential to be really awesome but in reality I'm guessing it sucks a hairy butt...?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Niggurath posted:

If anything, that Mitsurugi game is worth getting if only because the cards still sell for like .40 a piece. But is that Y's game one of the good ones? I seem to recall some people asking a week or so ago, and someone gave a break down regarding which Y's game was good or not.

All of the PC Ys games are good. And that's a great bundle if you go in for $10. Astebreed is a fantastic shooter, even if you're not good at the genre. Normal mode is very forgiving and you can just enjoy the game as a lasery rollercoaster ride. It only really starts getting punishing when you're shooting for high scores or playing Hard mode.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Niggurath posted:

Ys Origin is a bit different from the other Ys games but in my mind it's one of the best, easily. Getting it for six quid is amazingly good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Unholy Heights is a pretty decent and funny Tower Defense game, where you're the landlord of an apartment full of monsters. You get to furnish apartments to make them happier, evict them if they're not paying up, stuff like that. If I hadn't gotten Defender's Quest shortly after buying it I'd probably have more playtime in it.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
One way heroics is very good and a unique roguelike. Quite fun and not at all overwhelmingly animu. There's a lot of replay value and it you can make it harder with extra challenges if you want to.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ciaphas posted:

Ys Origin is a bit different from the other Ys games but in my mind it's one of the best, easily. Getting it for six quid is amazingly good.
Yeah, I seem to recall that maybe the remake of the first Y's played differently from the others. Wasn't really trying to say that one was worse than the others. But I decided to get them all since Astebreed seems like it'd be a fun ride.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!
So, Starforge is the daily deal. Bunch of my friends picked it up - is it worth it yet for multiplayer? Or is it the usual early access garbage?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Ys origin is easily my favorite in the series. Totally worth getting if you're on the edge about bumping up to the BTA tier.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It was hilarious how serious they were about the story's plausibility. They really wanted you to think that North Korea could actually stage a full invasion of the US and win. It's a terrible idea for a game that was executed terribly and I don't know why people try to defend any aspect of it.

There's a group of people who will buy into any of that poo poo, easily. I know so many fundamentalist idiots who think iran/north korea pose actual threats to the US and if we're not careful the plot of lovely tom clancy books like teeth of the tiger and red dawn will happen IRL and it will be up to them and the militia to protect the USA. Never underestimate how loving stupid the target consumer is.

My mom knows a lot of these people from church and they forward her unironic emails like, "NEW PROOF THAT MICHELLE OBAMA IS A MAN" and "BLACK HELICOPTERS SIGHTED ON ANNIVERSARY OF PROPHETS DEATH"

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 7, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

JimmyT64 posted:

So, Starforge is the daily deal. Bunch of my friends picked it up - is it worth it yet for multiplayer? Or is it the usual early access garbage?

It's getting better but still not worth what they're asking.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

JimmyT64 posted:

It's mostly still EA garbage "should be a free tech-demo at this point" status. I also really dislike how they covered up how few features were actually implemented when they first started marketing it for twenty bucks. I think they've eased up on the empty promises since then but it came across as really scummy and dishonest.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Whoever told me that the pratfalls stop in Tomb Raider was taking me for a ride! A joyride that is, because Tomb Raider is the feel good laugh out loud comedy of the year

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is Nosgoth a pretty good game? How bad is it if you don't spend any money in that game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dudebro posted:

Is Nosgoth a pretty good game? How bad is it if you don't spend any money in that game?

It's a quite good game. Gears of War meets L4D Vs is an apt description, but I also like to describe it as constant MOBA teamfights. Understand that Nosgoth is not a MOBA, you have two teams of four on an open map, no other entities, and when the vampires (all melee based) initiate, poo poo goes down. Depending on the teamwork involved it can end up any number of ways, with four dead humans, or four dead vampires, or anything in between. The classes are all fun to play, though vampires are a considerably more novel experience.

For free it's absolutely worth a shot, and it's much better if you can convince some friends so as not to deal with pub groups. The grind is tolerable as a free player and you can permanently buy all equipment and skills for free.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I wrote a thing for Velvet Sundown, bringing up a number of the points that have been made about it in the thread. You can read it here.

It's probably too late for them to address the pricing issues, but I'm hoping they take some of the other suggestions to heart. (Particularly the voting system to boot someone from the game. Seriously.)

If you've got something that wasn't covered in my post there, but was covered in the thread, absolutely bring it up there. I think the game has a lot of promise and I'd like to get the dev teams eyes on things they could do to improve it.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I love clicking on these "F2P" games and seeing things like - Starter Pack: 49.99 ADD TO CART.

If 50 bucks only gets me started in a loving F2P then there's no way in hell am I interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dudebro posted:

It's basically the Vampire Slayer mod from HL1 with a shiny new coat of paint and set in the Legacy of Kain universe, it's so fun.

• Locked thread