Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I have seen a raccoon untie a rope and lower a bag of garbage down a flag pole. It was impressive frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Raccoon poo poo is also disease ridden, and its a good idea to to wear protective eye and mouth/nose wear so kicking up raccoon poo poo dust doesn't infect you with some godawful disease.

Huh, so I guess all those silk screened T-Shirts at county fairs aren't just examples of 'native Americans' being really bad artists.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

I have seen a raccoon untie a rope and lower a bag of garbage down a flag pole. It was impressive frankly.

Are you from Belgium? The only place I can imagine the flag is a literal bag of garbage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I assume you all saw the cable show with crows where the crows are talking to each other and solving like 4 step problems using tools and they pass on information to each other.

Was that all bull poo poo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

euphronius posted:

I assume you all saw the cable show with crows where the crows are talking to each other and solving like 4 step problems using tools and they pass on information to each other.

Was that all bull poo poo.

Here's a crow bending a hook into a wire in order to use it to pull some food out of a tube.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Corvids are bad rear end

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are you from Belgium? The only place I can imagine the flag is a literal bag of garbage.

Scout camp when I was younger. Handy way to discourage bears and racoons. Unburnables in the bag and up the pole. When backpacking rig up a rope in a tree to do something similar. Racoons/bears will tear into a tent or a bag to get at garbage or hidden snacks. Most people only hide food in a tent once.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

Scout camp when I was younger. Handy way to discourage bears and racoons. Unburnables in the bag and up the pole. When backpacking rig up a rope in a tree to do something similar. Racoons/bears will tear into a tent or a bag to get at garbage or hidden snacks. Most people only hide food in a tent once.

I once told a private I ate all the cookies he'd left in the tent. (I hadn't I just hid them but he sure as hell didn't know that.)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nice post / avatar combo. Just bear things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idgaf that it's a gawker article: http://gawker.com/easily-shocked-one-million-moms-upset-over-adult-swims-1617307365

quote:

Homophobic, censorious advocacy group and righteous bunch of trolls One Million Moms is back with another important cause. The group, which is run by the anti-gayAmerican Family Association, concerns itself primarily with waging "media campaigns" against evils like the Geico pig, whose commercials they claimed promoted bestiality, and protesting virtually every show on TV for being somehow blasphemous, lustful or something else fun. This week they're feeling salty about Black Jesus, Adult Swim's new show from theBoondocks creator about, you guessed it, a black Jesus who lives in Compton and doesn't mind a little weed now and again.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

excuse me

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Nobody who cares enough to fly a flag would fly the Belgian flag, though.

I was going to post the Flemish and Wallonian flags here but while looking for them in GIS I found this instead:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
loving Hetalia.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

midnightclimax posted:

Is there an Eripsa thread going right now, or did he leave/get banned again?

You might as well read the Less Wrong Mock Thread for very similar "ideas guy" utopian technofetishism, but with a sadistic twist. You won't regret it. :wink:

Chantilly Say posted:

Nobody who cares enough to fly a flag would fly the Belgian flag, though.

I was going to post the Flemish and Wallonian flags here but while looking for them in GIS I found this instead:

Traits: "Relaxed, bossy". :raise:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
the kawaii walloon

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Heil Hetalia fans really are the worst.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SedanChair posted:

Corvids are bad rear end
I have a fairly large murder in my neighborhood and they're great. Although sometimes they like to perch in my walnut tree right outside my bedroom window and scream for awhile in the morning, that's bad when I have a hangover or just want to sleep. I think it's because they want me to give them peanuts (I'll buy a giant bag of unshelled peanuts from Costco for the crows from time to time). :3:

Raptors are also badass. The only reason falconry works is because they're smart enough to realize that they eat better when kept, but every so often one will decide "gently caress this" and just fly away. They're never actually tamed.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Let's talk about what fugly building the Pru is

as opposed to the Hancock down the street

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You might as well read the Less Wrong Mock Thread for very similar "ideas guy" utopian technofetishism, but with a sadistic twist. You won't regret it. :wink:

Be forewarned, the first ten pages or so are taken up with discussion of AI torture scenarios, which very quickly stops being interesting to read or funny that Less Wrongites would ever consider it plausible, and instead is just gruesome. You may want to skip ahead in that thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hedera Helix posted:

Be forewarned, the first ten pages or so are taken up with discussion of AI torture scenarios, which very quickly stops being interesting to read or funny that Less Wrongites would ever consider it plausible, and instead is just gruesome. You may want to skip ahead in that thread.

Don't kinkshame.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

R. Mute posted:

excuse me

Last door on the left.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BrandorKP posted:

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor . . . and surviving.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor . . . and surviving.

Circumcision is weird.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What is this poo poo, Axis and Allies cosplay?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

What is this poo poo, Axis and Allies cosplay?

Hetalia: Axis Powers (Japanese: Axis Powers ヘタリア Hepburn: Akushisu Pawāzu Hetaria?) is a Japanese webcomic, later adapted as a manga and an anime series, by Hidekaz Himaruya. The series' main presentation is as an often over-the-top allegory of political and historic events as well as more general cultural comparisons. Characters are personifications of countries, regions such as Hong Kong, and micronations such as the Principality of Sealand, with little reference to other national personifications such as Uncle Sam or John Bull. Both positive and negative cultural stereotypes form part of each character's personality.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The heroes are the personification of Axis countries.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I dunno whether this is better or worse than that one brony who was like "wow, inserting a scared Pinkie Pie into this picture of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising really makes me able to empathize with these people!"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Hetalia: Axis Powers (Japanese: Axis Powers ヘタリア Hepburn: Akushisu Pawāzu Hetaria?) is a Japanese webcomic, later adapted as a manga and an anime series, by Hidekaz Himaruya. The series' main presentation is as an often over-the-top allegory of political and historic events as well as more general cultural comparisons. Characters are personifications of countries, regions such as Hong Kong, and micronations such as the Principality of Sealand, with little reference to other national personifications such as Uncle Sam or John Bull. Both positive and negative cultural stereotypes form part of each character's personality.

Kurtofan posted:

The heroes are the personification of Axis countries.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I dunno whether this is better or worse than that one brony who was like "wow, inserting a scared Pinkie Pie into this picture of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising really makes me able to empathize with these people!"

I had no idea Abe's historical revisionism was so pervasive.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Nothing is that bad. I had forgotten about that, you're my enemy now.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

worse than mongolian neo nazis

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/07/a-mongolian-neo-nazi-environmentalist-walks-into-a-lingerie-store-in-ulan-bator/100547/

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

okay that definitely takes the cake :wtc:

I'd fetch myself a wine cooler from the closest supermarket but I have work tonight :(

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 7, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A Mongolian Neo-Nazi Environmentalist Walks Into a Lingerie Store in Ulan Bator

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

A Mongolian Neo-Nazi Environmentalist Walks Into a Lingerie Store in Ulan Bator

Is this a tom friedman column?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

rscott posted:

And the neo-Nazi says, "Hey! This ain't yogurt!"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The red car seats minus the swastiska are pretty rad though.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 7, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I hate Mongolian Nazis.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

rscott posted:

Friedman wishes he could come up with a title that clever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This is an educational public service announcement for DnD:

"Stop and Frisk", when used in reference to a specific set of written and unwritten policies by NYC police that disproportionately targeted Hispanic and African-American individuals for Terry Stops, is probably not constitutional. It was ruled unconstitutional and appeals are ongoing but the basic constitutional outcome is likely to stick. The policies are supposedly getting revised. We'll see.

"Terry Stops" are constitutional, and are likely to remain so. They are legal. Courts have not ruled against Terry Stops. Police can stop you and give you a patdown based on very little evidence, less than probable cause. The legal standard is usually articulated as "reasonable suspicion based on the totality of the circumstances", which in practice means virtually anything more than a baseless hunch or racial stereotype.

"Stop and Frisk", when used in reference to "Terry Stops" that involve a patdown for weapons, is legal. The standard for a stop and frisk is different, and not well-defined, but involved "specific and articulable facts" that would justify a search- usually signs of an imminent or recent crime. The NYC laws were struck down because police weren't even meeting this very low standard, but the general practice of stopping people with little reason and patting them down is legal, and probably will remain so. If a policeman does this, surprise surprise, don't give them poo poo about it- they think you're armed and dangerous.

I've been trying to explain it to a co-worker who told students that terry stops were illegal now, and I've seen it get mixed up elsewhere, so there it is.

edit: Modified to reflect higher standard for stop and frisk versus Terry Stop

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 8, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Discendo Vox posted:

This is an educational public service announcement for DnD:

"Stop and Frisk", when used in reference to a specific set of written and unwritten policies by NYC police that disproportionately targeted Hispanic and African-American individuals for Terry Stops, is probably not constitutional. It was ruled unconstitutional and appeals are ongoing but the basic constitutional outcome is likely to stick. The policies are supposedly getting revised. We'll see.

"Terry Stops" are constitutional, and are likely to remain so. They are legal. Courts have not ruled against Terry Stops. Police can stop you and give you a patdown based on very little evidence, less than probable cause. The legal standard is usually articulated as "reasonable suspicion based on the totality of the circumstances", which in practice means virtually anything more than a baseless hunch or racial stereotype.

"Stop and Frisk", when used in reference to "Terry Stops" that involve a patdown for weapons, is legal. The NYC laws were struck down because police weren't even meeting this very low standard, but the general practice of stopping people with little reason and patting them down is legal, and probably will remain so. If a policeman does this, surprise surprise, don't give them poo poo about it- they think you're armed.

I've been trying to explain it to a co-worker who told students that terry stops were illegal now, and I've seen it get mixed up elsewhere, so there it is.

so racist stop and frisks are OK as long as it's not completely obvious that they're racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A thing can be legal but not okay

• Locked thread