Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I have the impression that most people buying/selling individual stocks don't care about the long (10+ years) term. Then you have the kind of people that are long term investors but behave like short term investors.

Heck even the CEOs of most companies are only there for a little awhile. Average CEO tenure is only 4.6 years.

I'm pretty sure long-term in this context is "a year or more", not the hardcore buy-and-hold-for-a-decade or the live-off-the-dividends crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
The GOP is struggling in the War on Whites, so here is Reince Priebus talking up their Uber allies

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm pretty sure long-term in this context is "a year or more", not the hardcore buy-and-hold-for-a-decade or the live-off-the-dividends crowds.

The definition I heard separating short and long term is 3 years, which is about right for new hire -> Honeymoon period -> pump & dump.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit:

Jackson Taus posted:

I think you're right since I was originally talking about individual stocks, not index or mutual funds. My bad.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 7, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The X-man cometh posted:

Nathan Bedford Forrest was an antebellum 1%er, I assume he stayed rich after the war, too.

While he had made quite a bit of money before the war, Forrest was not part of the Southern aristocracy as he 1) made his money as opposed to inheriting it, and 2) made it via the slave trade. Believe it or not, the big slaveholders often disdained and loathed the men they bought slaves from as "southern Yankees" for their money-grubbing ways and low class origins (Forrest was himself illiterate for much of his life, for example), and did all they could to keep them from ever climbing up into the "respectable" classes, no matter how rich they grew.

Even were that not the case, Forrest lost most of his fortune after the war as he was so heavily invested in slaves, and his attempts to rebuild them via railroad speculation went belly-up in the 1870s. While never exactly poor again, he never got back to anything like his previous wealth.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

At :20 you can see his dining companion's reflection walking back toward the immigration issue in the window.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LorneReams posted:

HAHAHAHAHA gently caress them all.

:nyd: You don't gently caress with Tricky Dicky, or he fucks you back. Best hopeful majority leader ever.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hey, want a reason to drink? Telling white people the justice system is racist makes them like it more

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cross posting, there was another C. Koch editorial today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...round/13643229/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That reminds me of a study where decreasing support for welfare among white populations coincided with when the majority of advertising for welfare featured black people.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
IIRC there are polls among white people in California noting that they're more likely to express reactionary views when you remind them they're no longer the majority in the state.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

And the one about whites supporting affirmative action when it is pointed out that on neutral tests Asian Americans out perform them.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This is behind a paywall, FYI

BrandorKP posted:

And your link is broken. Here, I fix.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weird it works in one thread and not the other. And I just copy/pasted. Thanks.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

Nathan Bedford Forrest was an antebellum 1%er, I assume he stayed rich after the war, too.

I thought the night-riding overseer scum kind of brought him in as a figurehead and he later distanced himself?

Kind of like Admiral Greenhill accepted leadership of the military junta in Legend of Galactic Heroes.

:goonsay:

In any case, I was mostly thinking of the 20th century revival movement which was pretty grassroots.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ballz posted:

You aren't missing anything of note. It's the usual vapid cheerleading. I just really wanted to do that pun

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fried Chicken posted:

You aren't missing anything of note. It's the usual vapid cheerleading. I just really wanted to do that pun

It was a good one.

This article about the (pending) BofA settlement is going around Facebook with a spectrum of comments running from "Good, gently caress them!" to "Holy poo poo look how greedy the government is!"

I've taken pains to point out that the tentative amount of $16B comes to about $1700 per mortgage that they serviced / packaged / destroyed through Countrywide. Less than half of it is being potentially paid to any Person harmed by their malfeasance, and that much money is only about 75% of one quarter's revenue for BofA. It's also less than 1% of their assets, although that's not a particularly relevant statistic.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

I wonder how much it pays to be "Charles Koch's ghostwriter"

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ballz posted:

If you go to Google and search for the URL the website will drop the paywall. They want Google to be able to crawl their site to help with SEO.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's Rep. Joe Kennedy dumping a bucket of ice water over his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AUAChyXSCA

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So Obama looks to be dropping humanitarian supplies in Iraq within hours

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...a5c4_story.html

Brief summary: ISIS, as part of its pogrom against any group but theirs has hounded the Yazidis out if their city of Dohuk. 130,000 fled north to Kurd controlled regions, suffering as they go. But another 40,000 fled to Mount Sinjar, where ISIS now has them trapped without food and water, and are letting the elements do their killing for them.

The proposed plan is to airdrop supplies to the refugees, and possibly enact military airstrikes against other parts if ISIS. Why they wouldn't hit the forces that have the people trapped is unclear to me. I guess the plan is make it easier for them to survive, and get the hard to target ISIS groups to fall back to cover what we were able to target and blow up?

Situation is really hosed up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

In more upbeat news, Renisha McBride's murderer got convicted of 2nd degree murder

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fried Chicken posted:

So Obama looks to be dropping humanitarian supplies in Iraq within hours

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...a5c4_story.html

Brief summary: ISIS, as part of its pogrom against any group but theirs has hounded the Yazidis out if their city of Dohuk. 130,000 fled north to Kurd controlled regions, suffering as they go. But another 40,000 fled to Mount Sinjar, where ISIS now has them trapped without food and water, and are letting the elements do their killing for them.

The proposed plan is to airdrop supplies to the refugees, and possibly enact military airstrikes against other parts if ISIS. Why they wouldn't hit the forces that have the people trapped is unclear to me. I guess the plan is make it easier for them to survive, and get the hard to target ISIS groups to fall back to cover what we were able to target and blow up?

Situation is really hosed up.

Won't ISIS just charge in and start shooting up the place to keep the refugees from getting to the supplies?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Sen John Walsh is dropping out if the Montana race http://m.billingsgazette.com/walsh-drops-out-of-u-s-senate-race/article_44061fbc-fd60-583b-bc9b-61f41ebb49e0.html?mobile_touch=true

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

1stGear posted:

Won't ISIS just charge in and start shooting up the place to keep the refugees from getting to the supplies?

I don't know.

Of course, the upside of our insane military budget is that if we wanted to we could cover that place with more supplies than they could ever hope to remove

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Just do like before and send them pallets of cash.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

In more upbeat news, Renisha McBride's murderer got convicted of 2nd degree murder

This is great news, and a big black eye to the loving bigoted imbeciles who argued that fucker's innocence.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

I'll take it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

whitey delenda est posted:

It was a good one.

This article about the (pending) BofA settlement is going around Facebook with a spectrum of comments running from "Good, gently caress them!" to "Holy poo poo look how greedy the government is!"

I've taken pains to point out that the tentative amount of $16B comes to about $1700 per mortgage that they serviced / packaged / destroyed through Countrywide. Less than half of it is being potentially paid to any Person harmed by their malfeasance, and that much money is only about 75% of one quarter's revenue for BofA. It's also less than 1% of their assets, although that's not a particularly relevant statistic.

The thing about the wealthy is that they're collectively going to get a lot of their money back eventually. Money slowly but surely moves those best able to collect and save it.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 7, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

I'll take it.

Now, let's see how sentencing goes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

Assuming the Yazidis are even lightly armed, ISIS would have a hell of a time rooting 40,000 of them out of a mountain. Trouble is, it's a mountain so dropping them supplies really only works until October, then they all die of exposure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ballz posted:

If you use noscript it blocks the paywall scripting and you can read the article apparently. You aren't missing much. It's just a right wing piece of poo poo defending companies that are operating because they ignore the rules. Just like Airbnb does and Paypal does (or did for a long time). All of those business do well because unregulated businesses can gently caress around without risk. Like Airbnb who makes sickening amounts of money while others risk their own property.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

whitey delenda est posted:

Surely this stiff fine will prevent any further negative behavior by banks! Well ok looks like they learned their lesson! Bye Banks, be good!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was Montana generally always considered a lost cause? How bad is the Senate looking at this point with regards to polls and such for the other races?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Monkey Fracas posted:

Surely this stiff fine will prevent any further negative behavior by banks! Well ok looks like they learned their lesson! Bye Banks, be good!

I do like how the original settlement the bank wanted was $12b and most of it was going to go to the customers, but the government held out for $16b, most of which is going to...the government. Great job justice department, sure showed them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Monkey Fracas posted:

In the perfect world in my head sentences against businesses would just drop the farce of trying to pick monetary values that can become political footballs, fines would be a length of time. gently caress up really bad, your fine is one year. Any profit made during that year is gone. Doesn't matter how big you are, a year is still a year and every one of these corporations is desperate to post their profit ratings as high as they possibly can for their shareholders. Hoist the fuckers by their own greedy petards.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SumYungGui posted:

In the perfect world in my head sentences against businesses would just drop the farce of trying to pick monetary values that can become political footballs, fines would be a length of time. gently caress up really bad, your fine is one year. Any profit made during that year is gone. Doesn't matter how big you are, a year is still a year and every one of these corporations is desperate to post their profit ratings as high as they possibly can for their shareholders. Hoist the fuckers by their own greedy petards.

Congrats executives, you just got 1000% raises for this year! See, no profits, all income is going out as expenses.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Khisanth Magus posted:

I do like how the original settlement the bank wanted was $12b and most of it was going to go to the customers, but the government held out for $16b, most of which is going to...the government. Great job justice department, sure showed them.

I'd like for us to make BoA a nationalized Bank of America for real, but I'd also like a pony.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SumYungGui posted:

In a perfect world any bank loving around on this level would be nationalized immediately.

E: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

While we're nationalizing banks can we also nationalize utilities, telecoms, weapons-building and oil/natural gas deposits?

• Locked thread