Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Passengers unite to free a guy trapped by a train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGIG4FQBDjI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well it's uplifting since it worked. If it didnt and the train rocked back... well...

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

-CHA posted:

Otters will never stop being cute.

Did someone say otter? :razz:

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Did someone say otter? :razz:

That otter is just minutes away from going supernova. Careful, I hear the explosion of cutness and happiness they give off in that stage is quite powerful.

-CHA has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Aug 6, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIrnrnkajPM

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Intermarche, a French supermarket, finds an ingenious way to cut back on food waste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2nSECWq_PE

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Ozz81 posted:

Intermarche, a French supermarket, finds an ingenious way to cut back on food waste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2nSECWq_PE
This is a really novel idea that I wish America would adopt as well. The promotion of the consumption of fruits and vegetables as well wouldn't hurt a bit either.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

kinmik posted:

This is a really novel idea that I wish America would adopt as well. The promotion of the consumption of fruits and vegetables as well wouldn't hurt a bit either.

It seems really weird to me that it's just being thrown away. Wouldn't it make sense for them to be used in processed food? If it tastes the same and you're never seeing the initial ugly fruit/vegetable, it literally doesn't matter what the ingredients looked like.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Slime posted:

It seems really weird to me that it's just being thrown away. Wouldn't it make sense for them to be used in processed food? If it tastes the same and you're never seeing the initial ugly fruit/vegetable, it literally doesn't matter what the ingredients looked like.

That is actually how they're usually used. It's a good marketing campaign and I'm sure it helps but it's not like they're just chucking thousands of pounds of produce to rot because it isn't visually appealing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RedneckwithGuns posted:

That is actually how they're usually used. It's a good marketing campaign and I'm sure it helps but it's not like they're just chucking thousands of pounds of produce to rot because it isn't visually appealing.

It's entirely possible they are. All it would take is demand for processed food being less than the production of ugly produce after subtracting companies that need very specific strains/varieties of whatever (eg they need idaho potatoes while most of the ugly produce is russets, or something goofy like that), or where their entire gimmick is using local growers, or whatever else. Point is, I'm not entirely sure this is something that can be safely eyeballed.

Edit:

The Guardian posted:

Up to two-fifths of fruit and veg crop is wasted because it is 'ugly', report finds
source

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Aug 7, 2014

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GruntyThrst posted:

My loving pooch passed away today after complications from surgery. Post the happiest, lovingest dogs you got for me, please. Adorable animals of other species also appreciated.

My mom's dachshund, Gator.

Sorry for your loss.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This did not get enough love. I may have started making the same face the deer was making immediately when I saw the picture.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

kinmik posted:

Doubt many american companies will adopt anything like this. There are grocery store chains that pour bleach all over the food they throw out into dumpsters to keep homeless people from eating them, and to maybe even kill them.

But otherwise yeah, it is a great idea. Food kind of has the same treatment as models. If they aren't 100% perfect, and by perfect I mean whoever decides these ridiculous rules thinks is perfect, it's just not worth eating. It all looks the same diced up and in the pan.

The veggies that is, not talking about the models.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEN4hcZutO0

Cocao farmers on the Ivory Coast are given chocolate for the first time. :unsmith:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Cornuto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEN4hcZutO0

Cocao farmers on the Ivory Coast are given chocolate for the first time. :unsmith:

And here's Cacao farmers in Tanzania who are actually paid fairly for their labour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Fv3o0Firg

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm stuck in a time warp here!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Yeah I know I've posted that as a rebuttal before but goddamn does that first video get my hackles up.

Here have a bunny:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
A couple hijack the #ShareACoke hashtag to announce that they're expecting their first child :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yyzdgnxoc

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hear we like Otters in here.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I hear we like Otters in here.

We do, so I'm not sure why you would post a .gif of one being mercilessly shot at point-blank. Mods?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Leper Residue posted:

Doubt many american companies will adopt anything like this. There are grocery store chains that pour bleach all over the food they throw out into dumpsters to keep homeless people from eating them, and to maybe even kill them.

This is a tort/legal issue, not an immoral corporation issue. Grocery stores used to give away food to soup kitchens and shelters all the time, until one day someone got sick eating donated food, and sued. They won, and the payout amount meant that no store could afford the liability costs of the same thing happening again. Now, expired food is rendered inedible and disposed of.

Any fixes must come from lawmakers, not giant food conglomerates. Next time you are at a political event, ask a politician about tort reform and watch them dodge.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's Lola's birthday. :3:

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

This is a tort/legal issue, not an immoral corporation issue. Grocery stores used to give away food to soup kitchens and shelters all the time, until one day someone got sick eating donated food, and sued. They won, and the payout amount meant that no store could afford the liability costs of the same thing happening again. Now, expired food is rendered inedible and disposed of.
The ability to donate food or not has to be regional. In Seattle the grocery stores have lists of what charity gets food donated based on what week it is. It's usually baked good, flowers and some produce.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Edminster posted:

Yeah I know I've posted that as a rebuttal before but goddamn does that first video get my hackles up.

Here have a bunny:

That is one suave motherfucker.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Here is my dog, Loki

He sleeps on the couch, a lot

And nothing disturbs his sleep, not even a cd folder

or having a page turned on him

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
If anyone follows pet tumblrs, I highly recommend irl muppet Jasper the fluffy corgi :3:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Corgis, The Frogman owns and you should follow him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvbOjoLsq7c

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bad Sneakers posted:

That is one suave motherfucker.

Agreed.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Dogs, you say? How about a Rottweiler in the shower?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H7OyYMIT-U

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
His earses are almosts draggin!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

mammothrept
Dec 11, 2009
This is my chihuahua/mini poodle mix.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

mammothrept posted:

Those ears are amazing. Do they naturally stick out like that or did you prop them up with wooden dowels or something? It's hard to believe they're real.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

mammothrept posted:

Oh my dear lord, it's like lost concept art from Gremlins 2 for the gremlin that drank dog DNA while still in mogwai form.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Gonna crosspost this over here too, sorry for quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S7W5rMfl-U

One of my parrots is a sort of rescue case. When we picked him up he was being fed nothing but wild bird seed and bread, so was malnourished and pretty poor condition. He also didn't know how to eat anything else, or even that other things could be eaten. We eventually tricked him into biting a grape, his world opened up, and now he loves a huge variety of food. However, while teaching him about new foods and how to eat them, we'd tell him "nomnomnom" (yeah yeah) to encourage him and as a word for "hey this is edible try this". So now you can hold something up to him, and he'll be suspicious until you go nomnomnom and suddenly it's cool and he'll try it.

This had the side effect of him learning to copy the nomnomnom sounds, and ever since, when he gets something tasty he'll announce his appreciation via nomnomnom like in the video. Even cuter, he says it to himself when people aren't around either-I've heard him do it through the closed door. :3:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

If seals are the dogs of the water, then clearly otters are the cats.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

If seals are the dogs of the water, then clearly otters are the cats.

That is so true. Particularly with the whole biting thing they do.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
A Nairobi elephant orphanage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mammothrept
Dec 11, 2009

Florida Betty posted:

Those ears are amazing. Do they naturally stick out like that or did you prop them up with wooden dowels or something? It's hard to believe they're real.

That's how they are all the time. He's quite comical looking. This is what you get when you mix a black poodle and a white and tan chi.

Here he is with my other boy.

mammothrept has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Aug 8, 2014

• Locked thread