Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Prism posted:

In the case of 4 it's the stupid accents that bother me more than the puns. I like puns.

This grated on me too after 20 hours. I'm still replaying it, as I've spent too much of my life playing Final Fantasy and these games are just... so much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
Has anyone picked up the iOS version of IV? I'm interested in knowing how the controls feel.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So whoever recommended the SNES version of DQIII over the GBC version (the one I grew up with) was so right. I didn't know that the SNES could make games that look so good.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So can we reasonably expect, then, that all the Dragon Quest remakes could make an iOS appearance followed by an Android appearance, and this might apply for DQ7 as well...?

I own the rest on DS and have DQ8 on PS3, so it is really just 7 that is eluding me (as I am no longer holding out for an announcement that DQ7 on 3DS is going to be released in English)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

nutranurse posted:

So whoever recommended the SNES version of DQIII over the GBC version (the one I grew up with) was so right. I didn't know that the SNES could make games that look so good.

I really like the enemy animations. :3:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

BadAstronaut posted:

So can we reasonably expect, then, that all the Dragon Quest remakes could make an iOS appearance followed by an Android appearance, and this might apply for DQ7 as well...?

I own the rest on DS and have DQ8 on PS3, so it is really just 7 that is eluding me (as I am no longer holding out for an announcement that DQ7 on 3DS is going to be released in English)

I hope so! Maybe if the iOS ports sell well?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I hope so! Maybe if the iOS ports sell well?

That's what I'm thinking. And I meant DQ8 on PS2 but whatever.

Is the price point too high, though? Isn't $9.99 going to see more sales overall than $14.99...?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'd rather just not get anymore DQ at all than get this insulting phone bullshit.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Phone games are mad popular in Japan and are nearly as so (if not more so) here in the states (no idea about the rest of the world). I think we're going to suffer because of that, but buck up! Smart phones are pretty cool now! :cripes:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BadAstronaut posted:

...it is really just 7 that is eluding me (as I am no longer holding out for an announcement that DQ7 on 3DS is going to be released in English)

You and me both, brother and/or sister. I would pay full 3DS new-release price ($40 US) for a multilanguage port of DQ7 like they did with IV, V, VI and IX, but I do not expect to ever see it. I don't believe for a moment that the cost of localisation would nullify profits, so bollocks to them.

You lot can laugh at me all you like for this, but event hough I have yet to acquire the PSX version of DQVII, I found a Near Mint copy of the Prima Guide for it for a very decent price, so I jumped on it. I know that I'll find a copy of that game eventually, so I took advantage of the good deal now. Even without a PS1 copy, there are other, less scrupulous ways to enjoy that game. :ninja:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nutranurse posted:

It's really a tossup between DQ 3&6, Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Secret of Mana(and SD3) for amazing looking SNES games with amazing music.

Adam Bowen posted:

I'd rather just not get anymore DQ at all than get this insulting phone bullshit.

All these ports make me curious to seehow SE's mobile division is laid out. Maybe after All The Bravest they fired people working on original ideas, but if SE ever did a game like Puzzle & Dragons or Brave Frontier in the whole "play through levels, feed :10bux: for rare units" setup, using all their various IPs for the rare units, it could be interesting.

But rather than a game like those we got ATB, which was :effort: as gently caress and had nothing even approaching depth, so I doubt it'll ever happen unless YoshiP decides he wants to make mobile games and SE lets him stop printing money with FF14.

Just pray they don't make some IAP-riddled Dragon Quest (Monster)game for smart devices. Though some other company will probably make one like that considering there's basically a freemium pokemon knockoff that came out recently.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If anything DQIV iOS doesn't seem as terrible as DQVIII did.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's really a tossup between DQ 3&6, Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Secret of Mana(and SD3) for amazing looking SNES games with amazing music.

All these ports make me curious to seehow SE's mobile division is laid out. Maybe after All The Bravest they fired people working on original ideas, but if SE ever did a game like Puzzle & Dragons or Brave Frontier in the whole "play through levels, feed :10bux: for rare units" setup, using all their various IPs for the rare units, it could be interesting.

But rather than a game like those we got ATB, which was :effort: as gently caress and had nothing even approaching depth, so I doubt it'll ever happen unless YoshiP decides he wants to make mobile games and SE lets him stop printing money with FF14.

Just pray they don't make some IAP-riddled Dragon Quest (Monster)game for smart devices. Though some other company will probably make one like that considering there's basically a freemium pokemon knockoff that came out recently.

Too late it's already been done. Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light has been out since the beginning of this year in Japan, basically being DQ combined with P&D just as you hypothesized. Rise of Mana is also a P&D clone mechanics-wise for evolution and leveling if you're curious, though still an Action RPG. They have a fair number of interesting looking mobile games that are not localized, like Final Fantasy Picross.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Because they already have complete translations of 5 and 6, and because those run on the same (simpler) technology as 4, it's very likely that we'll see those. With 7, though, they'd have to order a new translation of the text-heaviest game they've ever published. Square Enix puts far more effort into their 3DS releases than their mobile ones ("Dargon Quest" gaffes and the low-budget Final Fantasy ports reveal their priorities), so we're quite simply not going to see 7 on iOS without also seeing it on 3DS. I would say that we're far more likely to see a mobile release of 9 than of 7.

The fact that they were willing to finish localizing the missing parts of 4's English script is a promising development, however.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Does this series have any better games than DQ9 that can be played on 3DS?

DQ9 has been pretty linear so far, but I'm mostly disappointed with the slow-paced combat and leveling. They put a lot of work into these combat animations that I just cannot care about.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jackard posted:

DQ9 has been pretty linear so far, but I'm mostly disappointed with the slow-paced combat and leveling. They put a lot of work into these combat animations that I just cannot care about.

You can play 4, 5, and 6, they all got DS ports. DQ9 is tops though :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

Dragon quest 4,5, and 6. I don't know if you'll like them if you don't like dragon quest 9 though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DQ9 is great but DQ5 is probably the best game in the series and one of the best JRPGs ever made.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You can play 4, 5, and 6, they all got DS ports. DQ9 is tops though :colbert:
Does DQ9 have any way to skip or disable combat animations playing for each and every attack?

like the options in Fire Emblem Awakening

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jackard posted:

DQ7, Terry's Wonderland, and Iru/Luca's Mysterious and Wonderful Key. All ones that aren't out in America and probably never will be.

Every time I go to a huge convention or gaming event and don't see any DQ merch at sqex, it just solidifies the idea that they are abandoning it in NA. Also, there is something about the mobile phone releases that rubs me in the wrong way. Probably font/graphics issues.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Allarion posted:

Too late it's already been done. Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light has been out since the beginning of this year in Japan, basically being DQ combined with P&D just as you hypothesized. Rise of Mana is also a P&D clone mechanics-wise for evolution and leveling if you're curious, though still an Action RPG. They have a fair number of interesting looking mobile games that are not localized, like Final Fantasy Picross.

You bastard. I had forgotten about these and you had to go and remind me. :negative:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jackard posted:

Does DQ9 have any way to skip or disable combat animations playing for each and every attack?

like the options in Fire Emblem Awakening

No, but in 4, 5, and 6, the animations are so simple that they're already about as fast as they are in Fire Emblem with animations disabled but without holding the fast-forward button.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DQIV is up on the Play Store for those of you with Android devices. It's properly spelled also :bravo:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq4

Just downloaded it and it seems to run okay. If you are using ART it won't work but it does work with Xposed if anyone cares.

It doesn't run as poo poo as DQVIII either.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 7, 2014

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Is movement only with the digital circle pad? That's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. I can't get used to those controls at all.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Draile posted:

Is movement only with the digital circle pad? That's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. I can't get used to those controls at all.

Yes, but you can touch those direction buttons for precision.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's honestly not that bad and thankfully the game doesn't run all sluggish like DQVIII.

I haven't checked if you need to be online to start the game though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

DQ9 is great but DQ5 is probably the best game in the series and one of the best JRPGs ever made.

I just don't get this as I loved DQ9, I thought DQ4 was excellent and I am now 21 hours into DQ5 and while I enjoy it a lot, I don't yet get the 'best in the series' claims. This is also coming from someone who played 8 hours of DQ6 before retiring it out of meh, with the intention of coming back at some point more for completionist sake.

I am at the battle with that Hjalda or however you spell it guy, and he keeps nailing me even though I have sap'd him and buff'd my guys. The guy in the tower you reach by flying Zenithia there, to get the right dragon eye - I already got the left one from the much easier boss character

EDIT: And this is great to see: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq4

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 8, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Dragon Quest 8 on Android would be awesome.

If it worked with the Nvidia Shield.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

5 has an excellent main storyline, though fewer and weaker of the self-contained village vignettes the series has become known for. It was also the last (and, consequently, most mature) of the more lightweight games in the series, being relatively short and having no kind of character-building system. It's the last of the old style, when 6 was the first of the new.

Incidentally, Chrono Trigger is the missing link between them.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

How is Chrono Trigger the missing link between them?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chrono Trigger was a collaboration between Yuji Horii (lead designer of Dragon Quest) and Hironobu Sakaguchi (lead designer of Final Fantasy), among others, mostly from the Final Fantasy side of things. Development took place between that of Dragon Quests 5 and 6 (and also that of Final Fantasies 6 and 7, between which it is also a missing link). Horii's influence as a designer is most evident in the general scenario and broad structure of the game, which is the thing that changes most conspicuously between Dragon Quest games. (Sakaguchi was more involved in designing the smaller-scale mechanics, especially combat.)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ah I see - awesome. How the hell do you know this? Is there some good history or making of for the Dragon Quest games readable online?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chrono Trigger at least was rather famous even at the time of its release for bringing the "Dream Team" together to create it. I think most of them even make an appearance in the game in one of the secret endings.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Didn't know that - that's really cool. Such a great game - sunk hours on the SNES and replayed in 2012 on the DS. Excellent.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are there any other Dragon Warrior/Quest games that are like DW3 and let you start with a completely customized party? I played DQIX but got burned out after awhile, I'm not sure how much time I put into that game but it felt like it took forever to progress.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 8, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Chrono Trigger at least was rather famous even at the time of its release for bringing the "Dream Team" together to create it. I think most of them even make an appearance in the game in one of the secret endings.

When Squaresoft and Enix merged all I could think about was how we were about to get Chrono Trigger-grade RPGs non-stop. Oh, what a foolish child I was. :sigh:

Blue Dragon also had a few people from the DQ and FF games work on it and it was an interesting game though the boss music sounds like they got the singer from Deep Purple, gave him a bottle of Jack, and then recorded the results.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dragon Quest V, 23 hours in, and more than a 'what do I do?' question - also a 'how am I meant to know where to go?' question:

I got the dragon orb and staff and then fought the big massive Bjorn moose monster thing after checking that the jar was red ( :wtf: ) but now I have no idea where to head for what sounds like it is getting pretty late in the game and a big showdown is on its way soon. How do we know where to go next?

Thanks.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BadAstronaut posted:

Dragon Quest V, 23 hours in, and more than a 'what do I do?' question - also a 'how am I meant to know where to go?' question:

I got the dragon orb and staff and then fought the big massive Bjorn moose monster thing after checking that the jar was red ( :wtf: ) but now I have no idea where to head for what sounds like it is getting pretty late in the game and a big showdown is on its way soon. How do we know where to go next?

Thanks.

You can talk to some people in Zenithia. One of them will give you a hint as to where to go.

If you want the answer straight-out, use the bell you get after handing in the Dragon Orb to Dr Agon and fly to Mt Azimuth. There is also an optional dungeon you can do now that you have the Ultimate Key. It's located west of Coburg.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 9, 2014

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
So earlier today I finished DQ3.
Aaaaand; Holy poo poo this game is fantastic.

I knew DQ3 is still many peoples favourite DQ, and I see why. It's so good.

After I beat Baramos, and went through the hole to the underworld, I just had the biggest smile.

Getting to travel around The entirity of Alefgard, with the same music as DQ1, and visiting all the locations while collecting the items was kinda fantastic.
It was great, the final boss rush was pretty fun too. I beat Zoma in such a clutch victory, with both my magic users only having 1 MP left each. It felt really good and felt like an actual fierce battle with a sense of accomplishment.

With that, I have now beaten DQ1-6 and 9.
I will probably take a bit of a break to play some other stuff first. But then I'll jump into DQ7 on the PS1! I don't know too much about it, just that it's long and kinda requires you to keep notes when shard hunting n' stuff.
After that, I get to play the (apparent) joy of DQ8. Heard soooooo many good things about this one! So I'm very exctied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
DQ3 had these little touches that made it special.
Like the little kid that gives you Dad's helmet.
That kid just has to be the hero's half-brother. Too bad the helmet's piece of junk.