Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

To be fair that crit is 22d6+5 for an average of 82 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack the Lad posted:

But you can do that ALL DAY!

:v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Starter Set should have come with 2d20 for Advantage/Disadvantage.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Meanwhile, Wizard hits everything on the battlefield for 40d6 damage. That once a day is probably more frequent than the Assassin will get his "DM-may-I" surprise round.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Jack the Lad posted:

how often do players get surprise rounds?

An ability that you can do unlimited times per day that only activates once a month is dumb.

if it is going to have that many strictures on it then you actually have a candidate for reasonable save-or-die

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

treeboy posted:

yeah assassin is really terrible. Lvl 17 ability: guaranteed crit if target surprised.

wow. that's amaaaaaaaaazing.

How about : Death Strike - if you hit a target when surprised they die, no save.

or

Death Strike - if you have advantage on a target you automatically crit.

The assassin's level 3 Assassinate ability is a guaranteed crit when the target is surprised.

Unlike 3e, crits double the dice rolled, not the static bonus, but this does include sneak attack.

Basic Rules posted:

Critical Hits
When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack's damage against the target. Roll all of the attack's damage dice twice and add them together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal. To speed up play, you can roll all the damage dice at once.

For example, if you score a critical hit with a dagger, roll 2d4 for the damage, rather than 1d4, and then add your relevant ability modifier. If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue's Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well.

So if a level 20 assassin hits you while you're surprised, you take 2[W]+ 20d6 + 2[Any Extra Dice] + Dex + [misc static mods]. If you fail the saving throw, all of that damage is doubled again. So cracking 100 damage is easy, because 20d6 is about 70 damage on its own before being doubled.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

LightWarden posted:

The assassin's level 3 Assassinate ability is a guaranteed crit when the target is surprised.

Unlike 3e, crits double the dice rolled, not the static bonus, but this does include sneak attack.

So if a level 20 assassin hits you while you're surprised, you take 2[W]+ 20d6 + 2[Any Extra Dice] + Dex + [misc static mods]. If you fail the saving throw, all of that damage is doubled again. So cracking 100 damage is easy, because 20d6 is about 70 damage on its own before being doubled.

my problem is that surprise rounds happen rarely if ever for the PC's in most campaigns. This may as well not exist as a feature for the Assassin Rogue.

edit: even if with this feature the rogue goes out of his or her way to setup surprise rounds there's all the other required rolls commensurate with such an endeavor. stealth rolls, perception rolls, not to mention the fact he could still roll a 1 on the attack itself and just plain miss.

For an archetype's top tier level 17 ability that's dumb.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Iunnrais posted:

One of my friends is trying to convince me that 5e is the greatest thing, simply because of the Advantage mechanic of "roll 2d20, use the higher result". What do people think about this single mechanic?
Best part of the edition, hands down, no irony. It's a legitimately good mechanic.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I tend to steal things to use in other RPGs, and I'd steal Advantage/Disadvantage.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

treeboy posted:

my problem is that surprise rounds happen rarely if ever for the PC's in most campaigns. This may as well not exist as a feature for the Assassin Rogue.

edit: even if with this feature the rogue goes out of his or her way to setup surprise rounds there's all the other required rolls commensurate with such an endeavor. stealth rolls, perception rolls, not to mention the fact he could still roll a 1 on the attack itself and just plain miss.

For an archetype's top tier level 17 ability that's dumb.

I'm partially in agreement with you that surprise rounds are rather rare for most PCs, but it's not as hard to set up surprise rounds as it sounds. Assassins have advantage against any target that hasn't acted, rogues can sneak attack from any distance and you can split your move as you wish before/after your action, so you can hide until you get into longbow range, take a shot, roll twice on the attack to hit, sneak attack and hope for the best then bug out. However, it completely changes the pace of the game and there are feats (Alert), spells (Foresight) and monster abilities (Vigilant, as seen on beholders, ettins and the barbed devil) that flat-out make it so you're never surprised, and I'm pretty sure there are class features that grant it too. Edit: And even if you do go for the gold, proper resistance can still halve your damage and deny the kill.

It's absolutely a gimmick feature that will either be useless, rare or annoyingly game-defining.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 7, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It'll work until the DM gets tired of it working and then uh-oh now the guards are on alert and your fighter keeps clanking around in loud armor.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
All that does is give the fighter disadvantage on the stealth roll to get surprise.

Looks like tricky characters that refresh some abilities on initiative will want to skirmish against tough foes, meaning resetting fights without resting. That only really works with hour long short rests, otherwise resetting a fight means both sides rest up back to full probably anyway. Could be interesting.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Plus you can leave the fighter 30 feet back and then haul rear end to rejoin your group as the fighter rolls initiative and regains dice. Fight for a round, then disengage and retreat, then come back in a few minutes and roll initiative again.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So, surprise works a bit differently in 5e. It's per-person. Some combatants can be surprised while others are on the ball, not an entire side surprising the other. A rogue has a decent chance of hiding vs most passive perception scores (monsters with high wisdom? naah). It gets better in the dark - even with darkvision turning pure darkness into dim light, that is still disadvantage on passive perception, which translates to -5. They won't be seeing you.

And you get a full round worth of actions with surprise, not just a single action, so you can attack and move and take bonus actions like Cunning Action(Hide).

e: Basically an assassin player just always needs to try to be stealthy in combat situations like a dungeon or whatever. When the two opposing sides get in a fight, even if half of the enemies see you, you can just shank one who didn't have enough passive perception.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 7, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

In the spirit of this thread, why would I play 5e when BECMI does this so much better? :smaug:

Because it's got the word "Basic" in the title and is therefore for babies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

slydingdoor posted:

All that does is give the fighter disadvantage on the stealth roll to get surprise.

Nope, the DM adjudicates who even can be surprised:

quote:

Determining Surprise
The DM determines who might be surprised. Creatures that were unaware of their opponents' approach or presence are surprised. A creature can be surprised even if its allies aren't.

It's 100% DM whim as to when the guards go full alert. The deathscream of the first guy you assassinate could alert the rest of the dungeon to the PC's presence. Or maybe they're just always on high alert!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Here's the relevant rules:

The DM determines who might be surprised. If
neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice
each other. Otherwise, the DM compares the Dexterity
(Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive
Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the
opposing side. Any character or monster that doesn’t
notice a threat is surprised
at the start of the encounter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Iunnrais posted:

One of my friends is trying to convince me that 5e is the greatest thing, simply because of the Advantage mechanic of "roll 2d20, use the higher result". What do people think about this single mechanic?

It's good, but doesn't go far enough. because it doesn't stack, and you only need one source of one to cancel out ALL possible sources of the other, it steers the designers heavily AWAY from its use in the places it was SUPPOSED to be used (i.e. basically any small fiddly bonus should be replaceable with 'chuck an extra d20, see if it's lower/higher'), so you either wind up with the silly situation of 'i'm prone, blind, deaf, grabbed and dazed, but because he's also blind I take no penalties from ANY of those', or those start being fiddly bonuses again.

SHould have been a dice pool. Sum the positives and negatives, roll that many dice, take the lowest/highest.

Same thing as happened with CA in 4e really. It was supposed to be the be-all and end-all of attack bonuses, it wound up being so prevalent and non-stacking that it was only really useful as a 'can sneak attack' flag.

Like so many things in 5e, advantage had a lot of potential, but was compromised into mediocrity.

IMO.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Would it break anything for advantage plus advantage to equal "roll 3d20, pick highest", and advantage plus advantage plus disadvantage equalling "roll 2d20, pick highest"?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gort posted:

Would it break anything for advantage plus advantage to equal "roll 3d20, pick highest", and advantage plus advantage plus disadvantage equalling "roll 2d20, pick highest"?
Other than tracking that clusterfuck on top of static mods? Doesn't seem like it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Enjoy rolling 40d20 for all the multiattacks in your houseruled game because condition stacking of all things is your sacred cow.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

5e's math is loose enough that you're going to have to wing the numbers anyhow, and the incremental effect of adding an extra reroll gets smaller as you increase the size of the dice pool, so it would probably be pretty safe. It's just a matter of how many separate conditions you want to track.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The whole point of advantage is winging the fiddly +1 UEoNT bonuses and gaining some speed in return. No good reason to give that up.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ritorix posted:

The whole point of advantage is winging the fiddly +1 UEoNT bonuses and gaining some speed in return. No good reason to give that up.

Exactly. One of the charms of the system is that you just have to identify which of four states you are in: neither advantage nor disadvantage, just advantage, just disadvantage, or both advantage and disadvantage. If you can confirm there's no disadvantage, and at least one reason for advantage, you can move onto rolling instead of taking time to see if there's any additional reasons for advantage. It may not represent every condition that may be going on, but it's faster and good enough.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

It's good, but doesn't go far enough. because it doesn't stack, and you only need one source of one to cancel out ALL possible sources of the other, it steers the designers heavily AWAY from its use in the places it was SUPPOSED to be used (i.e. basically any small fiddly bonus should be replaceable with 'chuck an extra d20, see if it's lower/higher'), so you either wind up with the silly situation of 'i'm prone, blind, deaf, grabbed and dazed, but because he's also blind I take no penalties from ANY of those', or those start being fiddly bonuses again.

SHould have been a dice pool. Sum the positives and negatives, roll that many dice, take the lowest/highest.

Same thing as happened with CA in 4e really. It was supposed to be the be-all and end-all of attack bonuses, it wound up being so prevalent and non-stacking that it was only really useful as a 'can sneak attack' flag.

Like so many things in 5e, advantage had a lot of potential, but was compromised into mediocrity.

IMO.
I'm okay with the silly situation, because at the end of the day you're either tracking fiddly bits (like "how many sources of Advantage do I have") or you're using a solid rule that creates the occasional oddity. The idea is that the system is already skewed in favour of hitting (PCs have a 60-80% chance of success a lot of the time), so stripping away bonuses by pushing things back to baseline isn't as oppressive as it would be if the baseline was 50/50.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

slydingdoor posted:

Enjoy rolling 40d20 for all the multiattacks in your houseruled game because condition stacking of all things is your sacred cow.

I'd probably cap it, at maybe 5 instances - because much as with statics, once you get to +/-10, you basically don't need to bother tracking them any more.

I'd also stick something in the rules that says when you get a condition imposing +1 advantage, you take a green die, and when you get a condition giving -1, you take a red die, and you just.. match them as you go and roll the leftovers.

It's by no means fully thought through, but I'm sure they could have managed to make advantage be what it could have been, which is 'the ONLY in-play bonus/penalty system the game needs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd probably cap it, at maybe 5 instances - because much as with statics, once you get to +/-10, you basically don't need to bother tracking them any more.

I'd also stick something in the rules that says when you get a condition imposing +1 advantage, you take a green die, and when you get a condition giving -1, you take a red die, and you just.. match them as you go and roll the leftovers.

It's by no means fully thought through, but I'm sure they could have managed to make advantage be what it could have been, which is 'the ONLY in-play bonus/penalty system the game needs.

Personally if I was going to make the advantage/disadvantage system any more complicated, the furthest I would go would be to introduce a second level of "superior" advantage/disadvantage that gives you best/worst of 3 rolls (one of which will cancel out opposing standard advantage/disadvantage), but still without any ability for advantage/disadvantage to stack. That way you could define really big modifiers without having the situation where they get canceled out by something that should be a minor bonus, but you still don't have to count up all the minor bonuses all the time.

Although actually I guess you could take care of that scenario without any changes to the underlying mechanic simply by saying "You have advantage on this roll and ignore any source of disadvantage" or vice versa.

Or, like others have said, you could just roll with it and revel in having the potential for a tactically deep game with light mechanical overhead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you have both Advantage and Disadvantage from at least 1 source each, roll 3d20 and take the middle number!

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

seebs posted:

So basically, as long as you're playing with non-assholes, it's fine.
So anybody who doesn't bow to DM fiat is an rear end in a top hat. Or any GM who doesn't cave to the group alpha nerd is an rear end in a top hat. Or anyone who is really excited to do something cool and finds themselves arguing with other players who see things differently is an rear end in a top hat. Anybody who gets confused and frustrated is an rear end in a top hat. Anyone who gets discouraged and tunes out is an rear end in a top hat. Any GM who can't handle an absurdly demanding workload of fiat and rules minutia is an rear end in a top hat.

I'm so tired of this obvious fake lie people tell about their perfect groups. If your group plays old school rpgs regularly and never have any arguments it's not because you're non-assholes, it's because you're boring sycophants.

seebs posted:

I am pretty sure that 5e's tolerance for "up to the GM" is an intentional design choice, specifically accepting a much broader range of ambiguity in exchange for a much, much, shorter set of rules.
That demonstrably isn't true. Most of the 'up to the dm' stuff we've seen have been cases where a clear ruling would take about half a sentence.

quote:

So basically: I don't think that "fewer ambiguities" and "clearer" are necessarily the same thing at all.
Systems matter in play, not when you read them. And these completely unjustified ambiguities are going to waste a lot of table time. Come to think of it, they'll make learning the game a lot harder, too.

seebs posted:

But yes, very clean, easy-to-read, rules. However! There's still a fairly large number of things to keep track of, and on the whole, I am not sure the additional complexity adds a lot of value.
It's not complexity in rulings, it's complexity in rules. Your original argument simply does not apply to 4e. It's complexity arises from legacy content like feats, items, ability scores, ect. It certainly does NOT arise from making it clear whether an elf is asleep or not.

When Mearls says 'up to the GM' he's not making the game simpler, he's making it more complicated. He's not saving time, he's wasting time. Time at the table, and time learning the rules.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 8, 2014

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

Personally if I was going to make the advantage/disadvantage system any more complicated, the furthest I would go would be to introduce a second level of "superior" advantage/disadvantage that gives you best/worst of 3 rolls (one of which will cancel out opposing standard advantage/disadvantage), but still without any ability for advantage/disadvantage to stack. That way you could define really big modifiers without having the situation where they get canceled out by something that should be a minor bonus, but you still don't have to count up all the minor bonuses all the time.

Although actually I guess you could take care of that scenario without any changes to the underlying mechanic simply by saying "You have advantage on this roll and ignore any source of disadvantage" or vice versa.

Or, like others have said, you could just roll with it and revel in having the potential for a tactically deep game with light mechanical overhead.

Yeah, I don't think arbitrarily stacking advantage/disadvantage does much for the basic cleanliness of the mechanic. I think if you're going to use it you should try and make it as central and uncluttered a mechanic as possible.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Jack the Lad posted:

The whole '4e combat is long and fiddly' thing really bugs me because it's become an accepted talking point - even among fans of 4e - but in my experience it's no worse than any other RPG.

My turns take ~90 seconds resolve tops. "I move here and use [standard action power] [and maybe minor action power]" plus rolls and fluff.

You'll have a problem if everyone is like "oh, huh, it's my turn? Wait, which one of those monsters is bloodied again? Who needs healing? Did I use my daily yet? Okay hang on let me decide what power to use" but that is not a failing of the system.

When I GM I go around the table like "Jim you're up, Bob you're up next" and Bob decides what he's gonna do while Jim takes his turn. It's super easy.

In terms of modifiers, go build a level 10 character and see how many fiddly/eont modifiers you end up with. If they really bother you it's easy not to pick any at all.

Yeah, the biggest issue facing 4E is player choice paralysis. A group that knows the system reasonably well, have bothered looking at what their teammates can do, and whom are on the ball can make 4E combat pretty snappy.

It's just that many P&P players do get afflicted with choice paralysis. You could always start pulling out a stopwatch and giving people time limits if you want to force them out of that mentality, I suppose.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

LuiCypher posted:

I think we need to balance fighters by putting a cap on how many times they can attack with their swords in combat - theoretically infinite attacks is incredibly OP, especially considering that wizards can only have so many spells. In game justification: Swinging around sharp bits of metal is very tiring!

No, no. What we do is give the swords durability ratings. When they run out, they break and you need to get a new sword. Also, no repairing them ever.

(could you imagine if they got all Fire Emblem on martial characters? That'd be incredibly cruel. I'm surprised they haven't thought of it)

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

A Catastrophe posted:

So anybody who doesn't bow to DM fiat is an rear end in a top hat. Or any GM who doesn't cave to the group alpha nerd is an rear end in a top hat. Or anyone who is really excited to do something cool and finds themselves arguing with other players who see things differently is an rear end in a top hat. Anybody who gets confused and frustrated is an rear end in a top hat. Anyone who gets discouraged and tunes out is an rear end in a top hat. Any GM who can't handle an absurdly demanding workload of fiat and rules minutia is an rear end in a top hat.

Not at all!

It's just that, in my experience, as long as everyone is basically interested in the game being fun, more than in Winning Arguments, things don't become problems.

quote:

I'm so tired of this obvious fake lie people tell about their perfect groups. If your group plays old school rpgs regularly and never have any arguments it's not because you're non-assholes, it's because you're boring sycophants.

Oh, we occasionally have arguments, but in the current group, I don't think I've ever actually seen someone mad about them. Because, really, we don't care that much about the exact ruling, as long as we can all agree that it's a ruling we can live with, which it turns out we can.

quote:

When Mearls says 'up to the GM' he's not making the game simpler, he's making it more complicated. He's not saving time, he's wasting time. Time at the table, and time learning the rules.

I am not at all sure about that. I'll know more in a few months, I guess.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jack the Lad posted:

Here are a bunch more pages including the Rogue, Gnome, Half-Orc, Sailor, Charlatan and Gods.

Half-Orcs aren't rapey any more!

I see they did the alphabetized only spell list in the printed book, so they are in fact, terrible at formatting, rather than very devious marketers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack the Lad posted:

It's doubled again from Death Strike.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ritorix posted:

The DM determines who might be surprised. If
neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice
each other. Otherwise, the DM compares the Dexterity
(Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive
Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the
opposing side. Any character or monster that doesn’t
notice a threat is surprised
at the start of the encounter.

Does the assassin get to hide the rest of his party now?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

moths posted:

No, but the wizard does. :smugwizard:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Here's something I've been thinking about for the last day or so that might make a fun thought experiment - assuming we can't change the list of available spells but we can change almost everything else about the way the class interacts with magic (e.g. method of casting, method of memorizing, method of gaining spells), what would it take to balance the wizard? By "balance" here I mean "bring in line with the rest of the base classes in terms of number of options and overall power level." Is it even possible with things like wish in the spellbook? What if the wizard has to devote lots of time or money to high-level spells?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well I'm at work and we've got the PHB here.

The artwork is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

moths posted:

You must not have been paying attention. The assassin doesn't need to hide their entire party.