Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
##Vote B

Also, some one should design a new icon for Bogomilism, so we don't have to stare at the Reformed Cross all game.

IRL Bogomilists didn't use crosses or even have churches, preferring open air worship. Perhaps simplified Serpent eating it's own tail in the vein of Gnostic tradition?

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
##Vote B for Bogomilism.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Fox Ironic posted:

##Vote B

Also, some one should design a new icon for Bogomilism, so we don't have to stare at the Reformed Cross all game.

IRL Bogomilists didn't use crosses or even have churches, preferring open air worship. Perhaps simplified Serpent eating it's own tail in the vein of Gnostic tradition?

I could pretty easily whip something up, I just have no idea how to edit .dds files. Why can't everything just be a nice .tga like flags? :smith:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Rincewind posted:

I could pretty easily whip something up, I just have no idea how to edit .dds files. Why can't everything just be a nice .tga like flags? :smith:

Check Skype when you get a chance.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Hmm, I've actually been messing about with Bogomilism and the zeal mechanic is rather cool. Plus it makes converting provinces much easier (I'm looking at your Catholic Rome. >.<) At the same time I'm almost looking forward to seeing where the game goes without a central church, but with a decentralised mass of peasant worshippers instead.

Thus I'll be changing my vote to:

##Vote B.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

BwenGun posted:

Hmm, I've actually been messing about with Bogomilism and the zeal mechanic is rather cool. Plus it makes converting provinces much easier (I'm looking at your Catholic Rome. >.<) At the same time I'm almost looking forward to seeing where the game goes without a central church, but with a decentralised mass of peasant worshippers instead.

Thus I'll be changing my vote to:

##Vote B.

Unless Rince does a bunch of modding to add in events for whatever, probably not that differently?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
In addition to modded things, it will also affect all that stuff I write in between the screenshots (and also the overall direction of what I'm doing, how Rome evolves over this era, etc.).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rincewind posted:

In addition to modded things, it will also affect all that stuff I write in between the screenshots (and also the overall direction of what I'm doing, how Rome evolves over this era, etc.).

As long as the narrative focuses on courtly intrigue it's a net loss in my opinion. A church hierarchy running alongside the secular imperial one adds another dimension to that writing, and Bogomilism would deny that.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think taking the church out of the hands of the throne makes for a more interesting narrative, as the dynasty already has so much power and so many levers to manipulate the state with.

Also Patriarch Authority is the least interesting religion mechanic in the whole game.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Since there is apparently no way to return to our proper traditions, I will cast my vote in favour of the established order instead of the unknown.
##Vote A

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

GSD posted:

I think taking the church out of the hands of the throne makes for a more interesting narrative, as the dynasty already has so much power and so many levers to manipulate the state with.

Also Patriarch Authority is the least interesting religion mechanic in the whole game.

It's not like any of these recent monarchs has been in a position of overwhelming power or particular success.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 7, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

sniper4625 posted:

It's not like any of these recent monarchs has been in a position of overwhelming power or particular success...

We had multiple defensive wars going on at once and all that traded hands were a few insignificant piles of gold. Truly, the empire has fallen.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

YF-23 posted:

As long as the narrative focuses on courtly intrigue it's a net loss in my opinion. A church hierarchy running alongside the secular imperial one adds another dimension to that writing, and Bogomilism would deny that.

It might result in a bunch of crazy Rasputin-type mystics gaining influence at court though.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

GunnerJ posted:

It might result in a bunch of crazy Rasputin-type mystics gaining influence at court though.

Have you looked at the Senate lately? Been there, done that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GunnerJ posted:

Last I checked Rasputin gained influence in a court of a decidedly Orthodox Empire. :v:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

GunnerJ posted:

Is this supposed to be a negative thing?

Because Ridiculous Roman Rasputin is not a negative thing (narratively speaking).

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

It's more likely that we'll have a bunch of stern-faced Puritan types in positions of power in the army/bureaucracy decrying the lack of morale fibre displayed by the rest of the Empire/Senate/Empress.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

AJ_Impy posted:

Hell, we have people advocating for the return of the Hellenic Pantheon! Not like we're hurting for people of...alternative religious views.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I hope we wind up as a Revolutionary Republic just so we can guillotine all the religious senators...and all the non religious senators.

:unsmith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

I generally skim the Senatorial banter, sorry.

YF-23 posted:

Last I checked Rasputin gained influence in a court of a decidedly Orthodox Empire. :v:

Mystics, plural! Only one thing better than one Rasputin... :getin:

StrifeHira posted:

Is this supposed to be a negative thing?

By no means whatsoever.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

I hope we wind up as a Revolutionary Republic just so we can guillotine all

Same.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
You just know that update will start:

"Hello, and welcome to Revolutions, episode 3.6, The Second Roman Republic. Last time, we discussed how the Discordians supplanted the Monterosites in the National Convention. Today, we'll examine the last days of Alexios III and his final doomed plot to save his crown and the head it rested on..."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

BwenGun posted:

It's more likely that we'll have a bunch of stern-faced Puritan types in positions of power in the army/bureaucracy decrying the lack of morale fibre displayed by the rest of the Empire/Senate/Empress.

Bogomilism is taking the place of Reformed, but doesn't seem to have much in common with it besides skepticism of hierarchy. It is instead very eclectic in beliefs and accepting of differences on points of doctrine/mysteries of the faith. The people most likely to assassinate Roman Rasputin are all the other rival mystics with other weird beliefs.

And, uh, I know I just said I skimmed a lot of the Senate RP, but I absorb enough to know that "Puritan types in positions of power in the army/bureaucracy decrying the lack of morale fibre displayed by the rest of the Empire/Senate/Empress" is just as much of a "been there, done that." :v:

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
As interesting as all of this religion stuff is, can we see the culture map to discover how many Germans and Catalonians France has genocided?

Everything just seems hopeless, at this point. Doomed to have ugly borders and New Carolingia breathing down our necks til the very end of ByzLP. /melodrama

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

DentedLamp posted:

As interesting as all of this religion stuff is, can we see the culture map to discover how many Germans and Catalonians France has genocided?

Everything just seems hopeless, at this point. Doomed to have ugly borders and New Carolingia breathing down our necks til the very end of ByzLP. /melodrama

I'm sure that Rincewind will find a way to prevent the entirety of EU4 from being a boring slog. Heck, that's what this whole religious thing-a-mabob is: a way to shake things up and make the game more interesting for him to play and the LP more interesting to watch.

ConConHead
Apr 9, 2007
Geek-Girl
While the Kormilas family is all for modernizing Rome, we cannot truly turn our backs on the one True Faith. ##Vote A

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I put forth that the Empress should execute the Patriarch, the Senate, the Doukes, and anyone else that dares question her, and then convert to whatever she feels like.

Perhaps Sikhism?

I hope Sikhism is better at spreading in this mod, so that it can be a pseudo-reformation for the Indian Empire. In vanilla, usually only 2, maybe 3 or so provinces convert to Sikhism....and they are usually provinces in the Levant :v:.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Hell, we have people advocating for the return of the Hellenic Pantheon! Not like we're hurting for people of...alternative religious views.

We even have...ugh...papists.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Clearly we need the Ecumenism so no one will care about heretics or whatever.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

theblastizard posted:

We even have...ugh...papists.

Part of me prefers the Hellenists to the Papists. They may be heathens, but they never stole the original Eternal City from us! :argh:

(Obviously Constantinople is the new Eternal City.)

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
I'm a horrible at creating images, as well as a useless mostly lurker in the thread, but building off my last post, I have a few ideas for alternate icons for the "Orthodox Reformation" religions.

Gallicanism, with it's French roots, I feel should use some sort of modified Fleur-de-Lis Cross for its symbol, especially as a counterpoint to the Chi-Rho and/or Orthodox Cross with their distinctly Greek flavor.

As for Bogomilism, as I said before, IRL Bogomilists didn't use crosses. I think an Ouroboros (a serpent eating it's own tail), with both it's Greek and Gnostic associations, would be an excellent an excellent symbol.

Another suggestion could be, if we choose to adopt Bogomilism, that Bogomolism be narratively referred to as "Roman Gnosticism." Given the Nationalist bent of the Empire at present moment, anything that gives Rome religious credibility would be a boon.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Fox Ironic posted:

Another suggestion could be, if we choose to adopt Bogomilism, that Bogomolism be narratively referred to as "Roman Gnosticism." Given the Nationalist bent of the Empire at present moment, anything that gives Rome religious credibility would be a boon.

I like this.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Part of me prefers the Hellenists to the Papists. They may be heathens, but they never stole the original Eternal City from us! :argh:

(Obviously Constantinople is the new Eternal City.)

The Pagans at least celebrate Roman traditions and virtues. They may look a little too far into our past, but they still are at least Roman none the less. The Papists are just squatting on Rome and refusing to admit it is Roman.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Changing from ##Vote C to ##Vote A, Rome must preserve its institutions to be strong. Rome strong.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Fox Ironic posted:

I'm a horrible at creating images, as well as a useless mostly lurker in the thread, but building off my last post, I have a few ideas for alternate icons for the "Orthodox Reformation" religions.

Gallicanism, with it's French roots, I feel should use some sort of modified Fleur-de-Lis Cross for its symbol, especially as a counterpoint to the Chi-Rho and/or Orthodox Cross with their distinctly Greek flavor.

As for Bogomilism, as I said before, IRL Bogomilists didn't use crosses. I think an Ouroboros (a serpent eating it's own tail), with both it's Greek and Gnostic associations, would be an excellent an excellent symbol.

They way I see things Gallicanism is more of a widespread Protestant/Anglican mix-up. The Head of the State and the Head of the Church have close ties (as is the case with the French Patriarch living in Paris, I assume?) and thus we get an Orthodox rite which focuses on France rather than Rome, as do I think that the other Gallican countries have their own Patriarch at home. This means that just like Protestantism in Vanilla is more a collection of all Protestant beliefs Gallicanism here is a collection based on all Nationalist-Orthodox beliefs. So I think the Protestant Cross fits rather OK nonetheless.

At the same time I see Neo-Bogomilism as more of a People's Faith than anything else. They follow similar adherences as the Bogomilists of old but have more of a "For-the-People/Against-the-Establishment" feel to it. The oppressed peasants gather around the idea that the church is responsible, what with them getting more and more rights back instead of the age-old tradition of keeping it as a tool of the state. Another idea here is having a Gnostic Cross.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
## Vote B. It'd be interesting to see where the narrative'll go with an anti-authoritarian state religion. That seems like a contradiction in terms that'll be fun to reconcile. Possibly fun in the Dwarf Fortress sense, but then again perhaps not.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
## Vote A Whats the worse that could happen?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

## Vote C :colbert:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Rome must be strong, yes, but it is not. Our leaders are incompetent. Our enemies are invincible and innumerable. Our people hate the very idea of Rome and try to tear it apart every week or so. Orthodoxy has collapsed into corruption and decadence. Christendom is broken once more, and without drastic action Rome will suffer the same fate. ##Vote B, and may God let us be strong again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Flesnolk posted:

Rome must be strong, yes, but it is not. Our leaders are incompetent. Our enemies are invincible and innumerable. Our people hate the very idea of Rome and try to tear it apart every week or so. Orthodoxy has collapsed into corruption and decadence. Christendom is broken once more, and without drastic action Rome will suffer the same fate. ##Vote B, and may God let us be strong again.

And when our armies collapse because we no longer have the Orthodox Church propping them up? When nations from France to Da Qin descend like vultures onto a now vulnerable Empire? When we spend the next 50 years fighting our own people after declaring them to be heretics?

No-one claims that Orthodoxy is not plagued by corruption and decadence. The answer is simple though: reform. A grand Ecumenical Council to address and reform the worst abuses of the faith. That is the path to reforged strength, not embracing some pagan dualism.

Edit: I just looked at the religious effects once again. Bogoogogomilism lowers our heretic tolerance even further, and the bonus to missionary tolerance will only last 10 years. Will we be able to force heresy upon the Empire entirely in that time? I highly doubt it.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 8, 2014

• Locked thread