Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I never played this game but it was funny watching goons get really mad at world of tanks for being poo poo and having terrible pubbies then flocking to this game as a better alternative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Control Volume posted:

I never played this game but it was funny watching goons get really mad at world of tanks for being poo poo and having terrible pubbies then flocking to this game as a better alternative

Unlike World of Tanks, this game was really loving fun.

For awhile.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Anyone who played world of tanks deserves what they get.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chronojam posted:

PGI doesn't give a gently caress about new maps because you don't directly pay premium currency for them.

God forbid they give players interesting ways to use all that poo poo they sell. Nope. 1.5 gamemodes, a few lovely maps. Good enough, turn on the cashflow!!1 :downs:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Control Volume posted:

There really was a point in time, a span of about 4-6 months, where this game was genuinely a good time and indeed 'a better alternative.'

After that short time span the goon presence in the game evaporated almost overnight.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I would've already forgotten about this game if it would've been bad from the start. But I had a lot of fun in the beginning... and when sticking to the WoT example, they polished and improved on the base gameplay they had in the closed beta, slowly adding and changing things around to get an overall better gameplay experience, introducing max tier spread, shrinking it over time, etc, etc...

With MW:O, you had Paul who just selected abitrary things and stats from the Battletech Tabletop to be too important to ever change, while loving around with other things (and his own promises) on a regular basis to turn MW:O into a real shitfest rather fast.

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014
Most of these posts make me so sad, I wanted to play this game... but it seems like I shouldn't waste my time.:(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Badcounterpoint posted:

Most of these posts make me so sad, I wanted to play this game... but it seems like I shouldn't waste my time.:(

Another soul saved. We're doing the Lord's work here friends.

(That's right, don't play this loving game. Pick literally anything else.)

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Badcounterpoint posted:

I guess it might be okay for a bit, the basic stompy feeling might still be there. And as long as you don't thin too hard about optimizing your mech, you can probably enjoy it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Badcounterpoint posted:

A reminder that MWO is F2P. Downloading it and playing a few games to see what we're all bitter about probably isn't a waste of time.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I'd have to agree with the Tank Boy, what ruins the current game the most for me is remebering how it felt in earlier builds and always having that in the back of my head. Without any of that to weight me down I might get some hours of enjoyment out of a stompy robot battle arena... just don't spend money on it unless :pgi: actually manages to fix this mess and delivers all those basic community warfare features they promised for years... also don't get your hopes up on that actually happening.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I'd actually still enjoy the gameplay but then I remember how much effort buying/customising a new mech would be with UI 2.0 and resolve never to go back.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Eh, the interface is something you can get used to. Like a chronic disease, or a missing limb. The core gamelay is still fun and stompy too. What makes the game frustrating and bad is the idiot lead developer "fixing" symptoms and not problems, and the excessive monetization crap. And the lack of non-deathmatch modes and many new maps. And a bunch of features (like clan/guilds) that should really have been around a long rear end time ago. The parts of MWO that are fun, are fun in spite of itself, and if it ever returns to glory (lol), it will do so despite it's terrible management.

What's sad is that it's still the best robot stomping game around, and that no one can top it, yet. Despite two full years of garbage.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
This game was fun as heck back in beta. Rest in peace Mawesome and supersonic Lunchback.

~forever in my dreamz~

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

The Gate posted:

Eh, the interface is something you can get used to. Like a chronic disease, or a missing limb. The core gamelay is still fun and stompy too. What makes the game frustrating and bad is the idiot lead developer "fixing" symptoms and not problems, and the excessive monetization crap. And the lack of non-deathmatch modes and many new maps. And a bunch of features (like clan/guilds) that should really have been around a long rear end time ago. The parts of MWO that are fun, are fun in spite of itself, and if it ever returns to glory (lol), it will do so despite it's terrible management.

What's sad is that it's still the best robot stomping game around, and that no one can top it, yet. Despite two full years of garbage.

Guess who sounds like a beaten wife.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
There was a time during MWOs history in which you could customize most Mechs to play them differently and a lot of different builds were useable. Not most optimal mind you (before someone laughs about the Firefucker). But fun to use and effective. A lot of those builds had been hit by ghost heat. I mean seriously, ghost heat did curb variety. The simple xml changes everyone (Goons, pubbies and bronies) asked for did change the "meta".

It was similar as War Thunder RB matches are now. You could choose a different mech and play the game in a different way. Kinda like the difference between a Bi-plane and a high end prop plane/jet. Even though the gamemode(s) were basically the same. Another "problem" the two games have in common. War Thunders "World War Mode" has also been postponed for the near future. Though they do have over 300 different vehicles (might not be that different now and then).

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I just found this: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/166212-the-gauss-particle-projection-directive/

So I guess they're still working on addressing the OP combo of Gauss and PPC. Amazing. Who the gently caress comes up with this poo poo? I almost thought about playing a bit after the release of CW. No.

The Mechanic:
A Gauss Rifle is a charging weapon.
A PPC is a heavy energy draw weapon.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 1 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot can only fire 1 of the PPCs. Choice is the pilots.
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot cannot fire both PPCs simultaneously.
If the pilot decides to fire 1 PPC, there is a 0.5 second period in which the 2nd PPC cannot be fired.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 2 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
If the pilot charges 2 Gauss Rifles, no PPCs will be able to fire.
This PPC lockdown effect lasts for 1 second after the Gauss Rifles have fired or auto-discharged.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Fender posted:

Who the gently caress comes up with this poo poo?

You know exactly who comes up with this poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fender posted:

I just found this: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/166212-the-gauss-particle-projection-directive/

So I guess they're still working on addressing the OP combo of Gauss and PPC. Amazing. Who the gently caress comes up with this poo poo? I almost thought about playing a bit after the release of CW. No.

The Mechanic:
A Gauss Rifle is a charging weapon.
A PPC is a heavy energy draw weapon.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 1 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot can only fire 1 of the PPCs. Choice is the pilots.
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot cannot fire both PPCs simultaneously.
If the pilot decides to fire 1 PPC, there is a 0.5 second period in which the 2nd PPC cannot be fired.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 2 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
If the pilot charges 2 Gauss Rifles, no PPCs will be able to fire.
This PPC lockdown effect lasts for 1 second after the Gauss Rifles have fired or auto-discharged.

We already had this posted here, but I'm not gonna object to it being repeated because it does an excellent of highlighting what a loving idiot Paul is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like that between gauss and ppcs, there's now three stupid, not explained in game, cludgy mechanics to deal with.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I don't want to get too much into stupid theorycrafting for a dumb game that I'm bitter at, but if weapon hardpoints had classes so that not all weapons could go into all hardpoints of their type they'd be able to balance weapon boats AND make the differences between mech chassis more interesting.

e.g. the Machinegun hardpoints on the K2 really shouldn't be ale to take AC20s.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
There is nothing wrong with a loadout consisting entirely of one weapon. Weapons and mechs just need to be somewhat balanced, they don't need to invent Mechallurgy and expect players to learn it.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

There is nothing wrong with a loadout consisting entirely of one weapon. Weapons and mechs just need to be somewhat balanced, they don't need to invent Mechallurgy and expect players to learn it.

I require lore explaining why golden mechs don't get reflective armor benefits ok.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

AP posted:

It's not an argument against balancing the game properly. But when all the mechs meld into a homogeneous blob it kills any real incentive to keep buying/grinding/outfitting the mechs. I'm not a play to grind kind of guy, but it's just one more area where they hosed up.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

It's not an argument against balancing the game properly. But when all the mechs meld into a homogeneous blob it kills any real incentive to keep buying/grinding/outfitting the mechs. I'm not a play to grind kind of guy, but it's just one more area where they hosed up.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Being against "weapon boats" in a game with a limited choice of weapons, further limited by tonnage and heat seems stupid to me. It's a made up issue for a problem that doesn't exist.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
It's not that I'm against weapon boats at all, it's just that not every mech should be capable of being one if they want mechs to actually stand out and can use that to further balance. e.g. only one of the stalkers can mount PPCs, but that stalker is worse than the others in some significant way.

The Centurian actually does this, with only one (?) of them able to mount an AC20, but with worse arm rotation as a result.

I mean, none of this matters, I'm just saying that it was an option available to them to potentially make customisation, mechs and matches more interesting before coming up with inane systems like ghost heat that everybody hates.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Limiting what someone can fit further does not in any way increase diversity. You have to also think of light mechs that basically get to pick what colour of laser they want if they don't like machine guns.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

AP posted:

Limiting what someone can fit further does not in any way increase diversity. You have to also think of light mechs that basically get to pick what colour of laser they want if they don't like machine guns.

Yes it does. Working around a mechs weaknesses is what keeps mech selection from being about hit boxes and if it has jump jets or not.

Lights have less weapon diversity largely because srms, small lrm racks, and small lasers are poo poo while ballistics are too heavy. Their problem is directly related to pgis inability to handle weapon balance in a not retarded way.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Yes it does.

I can prove it doesn't with math if needed.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

AP posted:

Haha, this dumb argument about a dumb game is probably the closest it'll ever get to community warfare.

Also you're right in that I'd never want to take the PPC away from the Spider because the PPC spider is boss but really I'm just basing this off the fact that for all its failings, customisation was something that MW4 did pretty well.

EDIT: Just so that we're clear, the point of this concept is to make mech chassis more distinct from each other while still giving the user customisation options, like MW4 where the concept comes from, but I've already spent more words on this than the game actually deserves.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 7, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Great Beer posted:

Yes it does. Working around a mechs weaknesses is what keeps mech selection from being about hit boxes and if it has jump jets or not.

Actually, having a balanced set of weapons so that Gauss/PPC wasn't head and shoulders better than everything else would keep the game from being about that. If they limit what mechs can equip, you won't suddenly see people running new builds on the limited mechs. You'll just see people stop playing those mechs in favor of the ones that don't limit what they want.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

The Gate posted:

Actually, having a balanced set of weapons so that Gauss/PPC wasn't head and shoulders better than everything else would keep the game from being about that. If they limit what mechs can equip, you won't suddenly see people running new builds on the limited mechs. You'll just see people stop playing those mechs in favor of the ones that don't limit what they want.

So suddenly the Awesome, which can actually mount good numbers of PPCs but has glaring weaknesses, becomes popular. Good.

But you're not wrong either, it's just a question of intelligent balance, and we're already having a smarter talk about this than the guy who came up with 'CAN'T FIRE THING WHEN OTHER THING SOMETHING CHARGING WHAT'.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nickiepoo posted:

So suddenly the Awesome, which can actually mount good numbers of PPCs but has glaring weaknesses, becomes popular. Good.

But you're not wrong either, it's just a question of intelligent balance, and we're already having a smarter talk about this than the guy who came up with 'CAN'T FIRE THING WHEN OTHER THING SOMETHING CHARGING WHAT'.

The funny thing is that they've made the awesome a ton better with the quirks they've put in that let it fit the role of a PPC boat (energy weapons generate less heat, heat dissipates faster) and they've dealt with it's huge centre torso by buffing it's armour levels. They CAN make mechs useful without hardpoint sizes and they ARE doing, but at the same time they're considering this utterly backward "NO FIRING TOO MANY WEAPONS" thing, which is pretty much doubling down on ghost heat's failings.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The tragic thing is that those quirks were literally handed to them on a silver platter years ago and they set about making ghost heat instead as a mutually exclusive design decision.

Now they're finally working on the quirks, but simultaneously making more bad/dumb decisions while yet still not removing ghost heat. Thus continuing the proud tradition of awful band-aids and "temporary" fixes that become permanent despite changing circumstances.

... which is what made PPCs an issue in the first loving place. PPCs used to be alrightish, but due to trigger delay and netcode issues, they were unusually difficult to use. PGI continually gave them piles of improvements -- reduced heat generation, increased speed, removed trigger delay. Then, they fixed the hit detection well enough that PPCs could be reliably aimed instead of a dice roll, and they were suddenly really nasty (especially because other poo poo was being broken or left unfixed) and there were also now growing assortment of mechs that could mount them alongside no-heat gauss rifles, some of which could jump (which was still laggy as far as counterfire was concerned).

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Foulbrood posted:

This game was fun as heck back in beta. Rest in peace Mawesome and supersonic Lunchback.

~forever in my dreamz~

Mawesome, Super Lunchback, Dubstep Atlas, Boomcat...

The really fast no-ballistic cent earned a special place in my heart during RHOD for proving we could totally spend a medium slot on a light (and get something way better than a Cicada) if we wanted to (we did.)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

The Awesome change I like, but ghost heat is a terrible loving idea and the boating argument was used as justification for it. The point I was, maybe badly, trying to make was that the hardpoints limit things enough and balance in closed beta was fairly good, everything was useful except maybe ac2, lbx10 & small pulse. Sure people boated things, like the boom and splatcat but I liked that, they were something you knew a counter to. Also the 9 laser hunchback was a good mech that has no choice about boating.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Nickiepoo posted:

e.g. the Machinegun hardpoints on the K2 really shouldn't be ale to take AC20s.

While I agree with the idea that restricting hardpoints would make some mechs/weapons more balanced, are you loving crazy with this example? There is nothing at all broken about the K2, the Boomcat(2 AC20) is too slow from the Std engine you are forced to come in with due to the slots the AC20 takes up to be any kind of broken. Does it hit hard? Yeah, you let a brawling mech get close to you, they should hurt hard when they get close. The mech's arms can't defend it's body at all, the only way it'll shred you in a close fight is if you are not a brawler (working as intended) or he snuck up behind you (again, working as intended).

Now the other big thing you can put in there: Gauss Rifles. Many regard these as part of 'the problem' but considering the optimal K2 build was 2 meds and 2 gauss, it has no jumpjets, and the guns sit so low on the torso that you have to really step out of cover to shoot, this is not a problem mech in any regard. Not to mention, because you end up running an XL in that thing to save weight, should anyone hit either side torso with any force, your Gauss Rifle will blow up and kill you, making the Gaussapult a ranged mech with a serious drawback: it's a glass cannon.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

There really was a point in time, a span of about 4-6 months, where this game was genuinely a good time and indeed 'a better alternative.'

After that short time span the goon presence in the game evaporated almost overnight.

The playerbase was and always will be the worst thing about world of tanks, so for this to be true you are saying that the mwo playerbase was better

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This thread just inadvertently reminded me that the Earthsiege and Starsiege series (2nd best mech game series after classic Mechwarriors) still hasn't popped up on GoG.com.

Now I'm extra sad. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
While on the subject of this stupid game, they'd vastly improve the experience by lowering the numbers to 8 a side.

It won't happen but even shifting the spawns around would help, snipers get free shots on everyone on HPG MANIFOLD (the entrance), CRIMSON STRAIT (island spawn is the worst ever if slow), TOURMALINE DESERT (again one lance exposed for no reason). RIVER CITY (one of the lower city bases needs shifted but there's no really good place to put it).

They should also slap the guy responsible for TERRA THERMA and upload the video as a dev blog.

Lastly they should let people pick two maps they hate, cross reference that with the match maker and drop the two least favourite maps from that game. (TERRA THERMA & ALPINE PEAKS) Obviously remove ghost heat too.

• Locked thread