Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
That is a fantastic idea. And I want to steal it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

trouser chili posted:

As a bonus, with a winch bolted to the floor I now have a way to pull broken vehicles up to the garage as well.

:monocle:

I think that if I did this, it would be the point of no return.

rscott posted:

well real leftists do too (labour parties don't really count anymore fuckin class traitors)

I figured someone would take the bait, but not be bored with the accusation. :q:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 7, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The house I'm renting has a steep driveway and I've had a similar idea multiple times, but I don't own the house.

Definitely a pro move.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

trouser chili posted:

This is how.

As a bonus, with a winch bolted to the floor I now have a way to pull broken vehicles up to the garage as well.

That's a pretty solid idea. I may need to steal that at some point if I end up with a garage with proper drainage, because currently the winch would just sit in a puddle and rust come winter.

How are you going to get it out though? Slow-release/reverse the winch and walk it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

Oh, to keep up my chances of being in the September thread title...

Someone on mnet was trying to make an argument and tried to invoke the Laffer curve as support for his argument.

Yeah.

:siren:Read the thread title!:siren:

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Canada Post is really giving me the gently caress around. Been trying to send a package to Brampton, it was processed in Mississauga on the 27th and dropped off the face of the earth. Every time I call they keep saying poo poo like "Oh yeah it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow", but it never gets delivered. They sent me a check refunding my postage cost, but still.

I really hope it's not lost. Anyone else get hosed by Canada Post?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phone posted:

Oh, to keep up my chances of being in the September thread title...

Someone on mnet was trying to make an argument and tried to invoke the Laffer curve as support for his argument.

Yeah.

After some cursory googling I have to wonder how the gently caress that could relate to anything Miata.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IOwnCalculus posted:

As far as "freedom camping" - is this just parking wherever you feel like and sleeping? Walmart actually encourages this whenever local laws don't prevent it, or there's always highway rest stops (if any are still open on the routes you choose).

This has changed dramatically recently. Our local Wal-mart has started calling the police on campers (and I get to represent them on the cites, because it is a misdemeanor).
Also, a number of rest stops have weird restrictions on sleeping.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SlimManFat posted:

You know... As much as I hear people bitch about the post office, they haven't done any wrong to me. Maybe I'm lucky?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

SlimManFat posted:

Canada Post is really giving me the gently caress around. Been trying to send a package to Brampton, it was processed in Mississauga on the 27th and dropped off the face of the earth. Every time I call they keep saying poo poo like "Oh yeah it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow", but it never gets delivered. They sent me a check refunding my postage cost, but still.

I have been almost-hosed a few times. Had some packages get lost for months before mysteriously showing up. That being said, its only been maybe 3 times, and I used to ship a fair amount of poo poo between personal and job stuff, so its not too common. That and my luck stinks, so :P

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nm posted:

This has changed dramatically recently. Our local Wal-mart has started calling the police on campers (and I get to represent them on the cites, because it is a misdemeanor).
Also, a number of rest stops have weird restrictions on sleeping.

I think it's because of how many people were being stuck living in their cars due to the downturn.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

trouser chili posted:

This would be really handy for the guy who had his driveway blocked in the people-you-share-the-road-with thread

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Siochain posted:

That's a pretty solid idea. I may need to steal that at some point if I end up with a garage with proper drainage, because currently the winch would just sit in a puddle and rust come winter.

How are you going to get it out though? Slow-release/reverse the winch and walk it?

The winch runs both directions and freewheels. It also has a 20 foot cable on the controls, so I can just walk it out while running the winch until gravity takes over to keep tension on the cable.

Also, if you notice there is a difference in color of the concrete that the winch sets upon, that's because the winch actually sets up on a step of concrete that exists at the back of my garage for some reason I don't know. It's about four inches off the garage floor that way. Pretty nice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have a small winch on the girder running across my garage, at some point I was intending to put a loop to connect a snatch block to under the middle of it, so it can winch in cars like this, too.

Luckily my drive's flat, though, so you can push most things by hand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to Ohio today to see Dad and this building he's looking at

Half my photos didn't turn out but here's a few

This is the top floor for scale

Other images
http://imgur.com/a/eipXf

It's loving enormous. The second floor is half warehouse while the front half of the building was converted to living space and then back to storage. It'll need work but there's so much potential here.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

trouser chili posted:

The winch runs both directions and freewheels. It also has a 20 foot cable on the controls, so I can just walk it out while running the winch until gravity takes over to keep tension on the cable.

Also, if you notice there is a difference in color of the concrete that the winch sets upon, that's because the winch actually sets up on a step of concrete that exists at the back of my garage for some reason I don't know. It's about four inches off the garage floor that way. Pretty nice.

Yeah, figured as much for getting it back out. My current garage is too short so I couldn't mount a winch and still fit the wife's car in. Still might do it for the lovely storage shed in the backyard though. And wheeling it out works as I guessed. Great setup, I love seeing an awesome idea take form.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SlimManFat posted:

How big's the package? If it could conceivably have fallen between the cracks in one of the sorting warehouses you might see it in a few days. If it can fall behind a shelf you might get it during the next reno.

We had a postie that was taking days off without approval by showing up for work in the morning and then dumping the day's mail into the back seat footwell of their car, then going home.

Considering you got your postage cost refunded my guess is that Canada Post is no longer particularly confident in their delivery guarantee.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Other images

It's loving enormous. The second floor is half warehouse while the front half of the building was converted to living space and then back to storage. It'll need work but there's so much potential here.

:siren: MATTRESS PARTY :siren:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I would love a place like that, but the tax would be a pain in the balls.

In other news, one of my best friends has had his first kid, a little boy. I get to be Bad Influence Uncle. Thing is, I'm an engineer, new dad's an engineer, grandad's an engineer... Young lad is going to end up with a rather interesting toybox as he gets older. :3:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You'd probably have to spend at least the asking price of that place to clean it out and make it properly habitable but drat, you could fit a lot of cars, parts and workshop space in that thing

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How big's the package? If it could conceivably have fallen between the cracks in one of the sorting warehouses you might see it in a few days. If it can fall behind a shelf you might get it during the next reno.

We had a postie that was taking days off without approval by showing up for work in the morning and then dumping the day's mail into the back seat footwell of their car, then going home.

Considering you got your postage cost refunded my guess is that Canada Post is no longer particularly confident in their delivery guarantee.
It's a 5x5x5" box with two engine mounts in it. Like 7 or 8 lbs. It's a pretty clunky package that I can't really see disappearing like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Welp. Pretty sure my truck is boned. Subaru might be too.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
We got similar hail in MI a few days ago, and somehow my cars were unscathed. Hopefully yours are too man!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hood on the subaru is bonered. everything else looks ok.

All the more incentive to strip and polish it.

doesn't carry well to photographs, but there's a ton of little shallow dents.

Rhyno posted:

Other images

fuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. :argh:

I've been looking for a small bay to work on my truck. A building like that would lease for at least 25 grand a month here.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 8, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So I'm at a gig today for one of my clients who has a restaurant on the premises of their business. I go in to the restaurant - none of the employees there are expecting me or know who I am, and I don't know who they are - and I say "Hi! I'm the IT guy and am here to work on the cash register!" I'm wearing shorts and a polo, no identifying badge or logo or anything.

They say "Oh, OK!" and go around the counter so I can start messing with the point of sale system in privacy.

When done for malicious purposes, they shouldn't call this "social engineering." It's something far more simple, like "social arithmetic."

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

So this is apparently a thing: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...rs-and/PhZ4RMgz

Essentially a petition to lower the import restriction from 25 years to 15 years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought they stopped responding to those petitions several years ago. I don't know why new submissions are still accepted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

hood on the subaru is bonered. everything else looks ok.

All the more incentive to strip and polish it.

doesn't carry well to photographs, but there's a ton of little shallow dents.

fuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. :argh:

I've been looking for a small bay to work on my truck. A building like that would lease for at least 25 grand a month here.

Turns out the garage bay is part of the building next door so my dream has been squashed. But hey, Dad very blatantly said I'd inherit this building someday, so there's that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I made some chili for the VIR 24 hour Chump race this weekend. Secret ingredient was turkey because one of the drivers can't have red meat, and then I substituted Mexican Coke for beer because one of the crew only eats halal stuff.

It's sweet and spicy, but definitely not bad. I could have done way worse for turkey chili. *pats self on back*

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is there a SA thread about leases? I've seen a few posts in the past dropping some great info

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

BraveUlysses posted:

Is there a SA thread about leases? I've seen a few posts in the past dropping some great info

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548312

Don't know how good it is though.

SA has become my first port of call when "I wonder if/how/what" pops into my head

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I know the speed tests are cliche, but...

Dat upstream :stonklol: I don't know what the gently caress happened there, but I'm not complaining.

edit: well poo poo, going to http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/ shows that ALL of their plans are symmetrical now. I haven't seen that for a consumer plan since the days of a 14.4k modem, or for a prosumer line since the days of ISDN.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 8, 2014

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

As far as "freedom camping" - is this just parking wherever you feel like and sleeping? Walmart actually encourages this whenever local laws don't prevent it, or there's always highway rest stops (if any are still open on the routes you choose).

Freedom camping is basically that, except in NZ you are only 'allowed' to do so in designated areas, ie out of town and the RV/Camper must be self contained for grey water and rubbish. Couple of years back there were huge issues with Tourists renting campers stopping in quiet places or the middle of town, dumping rubbish and making GBS threads next to / in lakes. The Campers would also clog up the center of the town and park and camp overnight avoiding paying a fee at the camp ground.

Are smaller vehicles welcomed at truck stops, assuming you don't park some place dumb?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

freelop posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548312

Don't know how good it is though.

SA has become my first port of call when "I wonder if/how/what" pops into my head

Oops I should have been more specific, car lease

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anphear posted:

Are smaller vehicles welcomed at truck stops, assuming you don't park some place dumb?

Most truck stops and rest areas along the interstate will have fairly clear car, truck and camper parking. Another option for sleeping along the road is Wal-Mart parking lots, many have an area designated for overnight parking and are open 24/7 if you need anything. I've done a few long road trips sleeping at just rest stops and wal-mart lots.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

some texas redneck posted:

I know the speed tests are cliche, but...

Dat upstream :stonklol: I don't know what the gently caress happened there, but I'm not complaining.

edit: well poo poo, going to http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/ shows that ALL of their plans are symmetrical now. I haven't seen that for a consumer plan since the days of a 14.4k modem, or for a prosumer line since the days of ISDN.

Currently in Hungary in a shared office space so I'm pretty sure there's some internal limiting going on here:

I also love the 7ms ping time over a wireless connection.

BTW, Budapest is a loving amazing city.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

Most truck stops and rest areas along the interstate will have fairly clear car, truck and camper parking. Another option for sleeping along the road is Wal-Mart parking lots, many have an area designated for overnight parking and are open 24/7 if you need anything. I've done a few long road trips sleeping at just rest stops and wal-mart lots.

This. I've traveled cross country in various shitboxes over the years, I've stayed at all 3 of those too with no ill result. Most wal-mart stores have a on site security too if you're worried about someone loving with your stuff.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLmt_VmPwKE

New Roadkill's out :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
KYB is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
KYB has probably gotten a lot of shipping complaints. Half my GR2 order had liberated itself from the box mid-shipping last time.

• Locked thread