Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Blake shall overcome. I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I wonder if that 'deal' with the Light God is going to bite Blake in the rear end. Either the god answered a small bit of worship/prayer in helping Blake curbstomp Ur or it was an act so minor the god was running on autopilot. In the first case it might not have been a freebie.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
I don't know, there are worse things to fill up the cracks in your being than a god of light.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Happy Yeti posted:

I don't know, there are worse things to fill up the cracks in your being than a god of light.

If wildbow's style has taught us anything it should be that a god of light is not necessarily a god of good.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

chthonic bell posted:

By the way, I bit the bullet and re-started my serial. The first update, circa 4k words, is up. Next chapter's gonna be up Friday.

I know I'm no Wildbow, but I hope it's worth a look. It's up on Celestial Abyss.

I think this got swallowed up in Pact update speculation, but I still wanna get some eyeballs on it. There's three updates up (though one of them is a tiny intro) and there's about 8k of words to read. Link goes to the very first update.

The site's called Celestial Abyss but the serial itself is Under A Fell Star. It's about necromancers. They're trying to build a golem, the world might be ending and there's queer angst from the main character.

Here, the blurb from the about page describes it better than that, I think:

Under A Fell Star posted:

Anzu Menelik is nineteen, queer as a five-speed-walking stick and apprenticed to the necromancer, alchemist and cultist Raimut Hellewege, his mysterious and often cruel benefactor, mentor and lover. Raimut seeks immortality and Anzu seeks knowledge and a place in a world that’s often cruel to a swishy young man, especially when he’s transgender and bears within him far more Spirit than most people have Flesh – Anzu is painfully attuned to the magic of the sun from birth, able to produce fire and light as easily as thinking about it. Many find this terrifying. Raimut finds it useful. Anzu finds it a nuisance and is far more interested in the ancient art of golemsmithing, that his people, the qarnot, practised for millennia before it was lost.

Neither he nor Raimut are up to the task of uncovering the old rituals, until Anzu’s long-lost twin sister, Siris, turns up, claiming to have been apprenticed to a now-deceased golemsmith. She bears the knowledge they need to make a homunculus walk and talk and maybe even acquire Spirit. But Raimut Hellewege is a dangerous man with many secrets, Anzu is a magnet for supernatural mischief and it seems that the world at large is facing a coming cataclysm. Anzu and Siris will need to use all their wits and resourcefulness and magic talent to survive what is coming their way.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

If wildbow's style has taught us anything it should be that a god of light is not necessarily a god of good.

That's true, though if not good, he's more likely to be an opportunistic rear end in a top hat than truly evil, so it's still better than a demon darkness and oblivion.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.
Hey y'all, like 16 pages back Tollymain mentioned The Solstice War (thanks for that by the way) -- I'm the author of that! I found this thread through the linkback like a month or two ago and read through a lot of it out of curiosity, and spent the intervening time wondering whether to post. I didn't even really know web fiction was such a thing until I found this thread and read about webfictionguide, so thanks! It's helped a lot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Like what you have so far, though I'm not really sure what's going on yet :v:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Thank you! :shobon: I think I might've overdone the avoidance of infodumping. Hopefully Saturday's update will clear up some things, at least.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Happy Yeti posted:

That's true, though if not good, he's more likely to be an opportunistic rear end in a top hat than truly evil, so it's still better than a demon darkness and oblivion.

See, all that this makes me think is the demons aren't the WORST things out there, they're just protecting us in their own way from the REALLY scary poo poo. Like in the Dresden Files.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah, in this case the demons are the horrible outside things

and nobody's fighting them off :unsmigghh:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I'm pretty sure that the mystery entity (entities?) behind the lawyers; the ones that 'get a stronger foothold' every time a new lawyer comes into the company are going to be bigger pains than the demons. At least I believe these mystery beings were never specified to be demons specifically (YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LABELS).

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Namarrgon posted:

I wonder if that 'deal' with the Light God is going to bite Blake in the rear end. Either the god answered a small bit of worship/prayer in helping Blake curbstomp Ur or it was an act so minor the god was running on autopilot. In the first case it might not have been a freebie.

I figured it was trading worship for light. Not a 'deal' so much as just powering up the god with a tiny bit of worship (American Gods, Small Gods style)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

There. The Barber is confirmed as a demon. I guess Wildbow got sick of speculation about that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And Blake is behind the mirrors.

Is his experience with the mirror world different from Rose's? I thought for her that world simply didn't exist save for what mirrors could reflect. I'm pretty sure there are not a whole lot of mirrors near Ur- or the factory it's in :haw:

I wonder why he's gone to Rose first, and not Mags?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, I just gotta say: those last two lines utterly kill me, dang.

VVV: :haw:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 9, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

At least nobody can touch him now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
This seems off to me somehow -- like this is a trial like what he went through with Carl, but about the present. It just doesn't seem to fit, in a way I have a hard time putting into words.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think blake himself feels that way

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I meant that I am expecting things to dissolve/reset much like they did with the Carl thing. Up to and including Blake's realization about his (lack of?) past. The way Blake is interacting with the world (and vice versa) just seems different to me from what has come before.

On the other hand, pretty much every other prediction I have made about this work has been wrong. So there's that. :v:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Grundulum posted:

On the other hand, pretty much every other prediction I have made about this work has been wrong. So there's that. :v:

'Sup prediction buddy?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah, something feels off about that last bit to me too. Was Blake in mirror-land the whole time he was fighting Ur? We don't see any description of anything like how Rose said mirror-land was. He also has his own reflection, and isn't limited to certain places like Rose was. Also if he was in mirror-land couldn't he just have used that to jump out of Ur's factory?

I feel like he might have been in real-world for the start of the chapter, and somehow accessed the mirror because he didn't have another way to get back to Jacob's Bell.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I've started reading Pact. I'm very confused so far but quite intrigued. I hope Blake's landlord doesn't die, I liked him and his ridiculous pajama pants. :ohdear:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

chthonic bell posted:

I've started reading Pact. I'm very confused so far but quite intrigued. I hope Blake's landlord doesn't die, I liked him and his ridiculous pajama pants. :ohdear:

For the love of God stay clear of this thread until you are current. Lots and lots of unspoilered comments that will ruin the twists.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Tollymain posted:

And Blake is behind the mirrors.

Is his experience with the mirror world different from Rose's? I thought for her that world simply didn't exist save for what mirrors could reflect. I'm pretty sure there are not a whole lot of mirrors near Ur- or the factory it's in :haw:

I wonder why he's gone to Rose first, and not Mags?

He probably used the mirrors to get there quicker, and maybe to protect himself from an immediate attack upon appearing out of the blue. He can clearly exist outside of mirrors, as he was doing for the whole chapter so far. But being able to slip into them for the fast travel, like Rose used to be able to do, is really kick-rear end.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Blasphemeral posted:

He probably used the mirrors to get there quicker, and maybe to protect himself from an immediate attack upon appearing out of the blue. He can clearly exist outside of mirrors, as he was doing for the whole chapter so far. But being able to slip into them for the fast travel, like Rose used to be able to do, is really kick-rear end.

I really hope he can step out of them at will.

It's like Sandman Slim and the Room of Thirteen Doors which helps a lot with story progression.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, something feels off about that last bit to me too. Was Blake in mirror-land the whole time he was fighting Ur? We don't see any description of anything like how Rose said mirror-land was. He also has his own reflection, and isn't limited to certain places like Rose was. Also if he was in mirror-land couldn't he just have used that to jump out of Ur's factory?

I feel like he might have been in real-world for the start of the chapter, and somehow accessed the mirror because he didn't have another way to get back to Jacob's Bell.

Wildbow confirmed in the comments that Blake did not fight Ur in the physical world (but he didn't specifically say he fought Ur in the mirror world so :tinfoil:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Update right on time, interlude from the high-drunkard. poo poo's going down.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I really like how the office and powers of the High Drunk are portrayed. Interesting that the god of revelry and passion disapproved of Jeremy and Sandra's match, which was arranged by a being of balance, the Sphinx. Wonder how far ahead Isadora sees.

I hope Jeremy makes it out in one piece. I find him very sympathetic.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

I hope Jeremy makes it out in one piece. I find him very sympathetic.

One of the things I'm really enjoying in this story thus far is that I've found most of the remaining characters sympathetic in one way or another.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

And here I was dismissing the Drunk as one of the lesser powers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't make a serious bid for Lordship without being formidable somehow :v:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Tollymain posted:

You don't make a serious bid for Lordship without being formidable somehow :v:

Well, he did fail. Still though, point taken. Just did not expect him to be able to hold his own in combat vs the sphinx.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Courtesy of the Space Opera thread:

PupsOfWar posted:

speaking of Path of the Fury/In Fury Born, I came across a web-original story the other day that is more or less a better version of the same narrative. On the Spacebattles.com forums, of all godforsaken places.

Premise: multistellar human civilization is attacked by a large, technologically-superior confederation of alien races, who are a very transparent knockoff of the Covenant from Halo (I suspect this whole thing might have started out as a halo fanfic at some point). Late in the war, the humans' state-of-the-art flagship manages to outduel and destroy one of the aliens' supposedly-invincible capital ships (though it is crippled and suffers total crew loss in the doing), which prompts the aliens to Get Serious about the war. The ship's AI takes command, but, by the time it makes it back to Sol space, Earth has been glassed and humanity is practically wiped out. The AI snaps and heads off into the void, where it spends thousands of years preying on the alien confederacy until it becomes a sort of interstellar boogeyman. Story picks up when some far-future human sepoys stumble into the rogue ship's path.

It still has its issues (being internet fiction by some nerd), but I think it's a cut or three above most Baen output and worth the read-through if anyone found the "rogue warship AI on a vengeful rampage" premise of In Fury Born super intriguing but would like to avoid Weberisms. Author is pretty good at making sympathetic enemy characters (their government lies to them about all the hardassed oppressive poo poo they do) and the heroes, while not ~amazingly deep~ or anything, outstrip your average MilSF protagonist.

There were also some episodes of Andromeda that tacked a similar premise, iirc.

I'm about a dozen chapters in and it's fairly good thus far.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
New Pact update, and it continues to be fantastic stuff. I'm glad I stuck with this so far, because an iffy beginning has lead into this part, which is awesome.

Also, I absolutely loved that Blake outright described Rose as smug and condescending, because christ, it has become veeeery easy to hate her, and I really wasn't a fan before. The scene in the house was tragic though, especially Evan.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Blake's snarky "Oh? But you're so very good at it." is incredibly satisfying to me for some reason.

Let's hope he doesn't run into 'Maggie Holt' though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I was thinking, back in the last chapter, how did Sandra know about Blake, and that he'd come back?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Pavlov posted:

I was thinking, back in the last chapter, how did Sandra know about Blake, and that he'd come back?

Perhaps she had enchanted an object to track Blake or something and that enchantment formed a pseudo magical connection that Ur didn't eat? Sort of similar to what she showed Maggie how to do in that one chapter. I'm more surprised Maggie did but I guess her connections were actually connected to the Paedric and her memories/connections were more secondary so the universe didn't strip them away when Ur ate the connections?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Wow, Ur must be really lovely at its job if the loving pizza man still remembers Blake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Ur eats the strongest connections first, and Blake wouldn't have a really close connection with him.

• Locked thread