Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I would watch six seasons of Keith David's Carnival of Crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At this point can we not just admit that The Cape was just straight up actually good instead of hedging our opinions in "well you see, it's a guilty pleasure ironically so bad it's good" stuff? Because thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure it actually was just a fun show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Cape was awesome and I was genuinely sad when it was cancelled.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

At this point can we not just admit that The Cape was just straight up actually good instead of hedging our opinions in "well you see, it's a guilty pleasure ironically so bad it's good" stuff? Because thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure it actually was just a fun show.

Everything about the Cape worked and gelled except the terrible protagonist and his family plots.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

It was a fun show, and it was an enjoyable show, I will never deny that. But... good? I don't know if that's a word I could use to describe The Cape.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm watching The Quest on ABC. I missed it last week.

This feels like poo poo. It's poo poo, right?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Boxman posted:

I'm watching The Quest on ABC. I missed it last week.

This feels like poo poo. It's poo poo, right?

I'm kinda enjoying the guy sorta-insulting these nerds about their lack of physical skills and the general awkwardness around the whole thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Commander is hilarious.

And the actress playing the Queen totally blew it when the guy used the wrong title.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

MrBuddyLee posted:

Anyone want to bet on which episode of The Leftovers has a Leftover Return?

I bet it's the final minute of the final episode of S1, because without that hook, no one is wasting a loving moment on season 2.

If it turns out that the returnee tests positive for a strange new neurotransmitter called promicin that enables them with superpowers, I'm in for the rest of the ride.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

precision posted:

It was good like Sleepy Hollow, but the world wasn't ready for it. I think at the time people really wanted a serious, gritty, "smart" superhero show.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Keith David is a delight. That one stretch of time where he was in every other AAA video game and on a network television program and a Disney animated movie was just magical.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

One particular flashback for Vinnie Jones' character in The Cape was so loving funny I will always love that show.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm among those that watched The Quest for the first time tonight (heard about it while watching Face Off the other night). I have this feeling it's gonna get super-awkward at some point but the fact they've been so straight-faced with presenting it so far somehow makes it work.

It also helps somewhat that all the contestants have been supportive of one another so far, much like how it is on Face Off. Next week's previews suggest that could possibly change, but we'll see.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Aaron McGruder's Black Jesus -- which was co created by Mike Clattenburg (Trailer Park Boys) -- is off to a banging start.

Also, You're the Worst might be the best romantic comedy on TV in years, but that's probably just me being me. Still, there was a scene in tonight's episode where Gretchen forced Jimmy to have sex with her in her hovel of an apartment (they usually gently caress at his place). Afterwards, they're in bed and Jimmy discovers that his phone has somehow been coated with a nasty viscous gel. They get into an argument...

Jimmy: :argh: My phone is covered in goo!
Gretchen: :rolleyes: Join the club, Phone!

I did not expect them to put that image in my head.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DivisionPost posted:

Aaron McGruder's Black Jesus -- which was co created by Mike Clattenburg (Trailer Park Boys) -- is off to a banging start.

So does that mean it's good? The commercials looked terrible and I forgot it was on tonight.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

raditts posted:

The Cape was loving dumb as hell but at least it was an interesting, self-aware kind of dumb, which is more than can be said about Heroes or any of its lovely me-too superhero contemporaries. I would rather have had six seasons and a movie of The Cape than one season of Agents of B.O.R.E.D. and God only knows how many seasons we'll be getting of that poo poo.

Also "Why do you always bother me while I'm drinkin'?!" is one of my favorite Keith David lines of all time, he did a prime scenery-chewing job in that show.
The Agents of Shield finale came pretty close to The Cape's self-aware dumbness (Hobo Sam Jackson, the fate of Bill Pullman), too bad about the rest of the season.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

So does that mean it's good? The commercials looked terrible and I forgot it was on tonight.

Yes, but if you didn't like the commercials you might not like the show. It's got a very lived in, loose kind of quality that some might call "cheap" (because it kind of is) but that I personally responded to.

But on the other hand, this is clearly Aaron McGruder's voice. There's not a lot of cutting satire here (at least not yet), but if you're into the goofier episodes of The Boondocks (like the Stinkmeaner episodes, Riley doing graffiti with Bob Ross, or Let's Nab Oprah) you'll find a lot to like here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Knick starts today on Cinemax. Clive Owen is a New York doctor in 1900s. All 10 episodes directed by Steven Soderbergh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching the gently caress out of that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Doesn't the new Sean Bean show start next week? I hope it's decent.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Garfunkel & Oates premiered last night on IFC. I'd already watched the first episode on YouTube earlier this week (looks like they've taken it down now) and I really enjoyed it! It's basically Flight of the Conchords, except with American girls living in LA. There were a few small issues (the sound mixing and balance of some of the music sounds a little off sometimes) but it definitely got a lot of laughs out of me. The Sports Go Sports music video was definitely a highlight.

If you like Flight of the Conchords, Portlandia, or Broad City, give it a shot! I think the second episode is up already on IFC's website but I haven't seen it yet.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I watched the pilot of it last night and moderately enjoyed it. It wasn't as funny as it needed to be but the potential's there. The Ben Kingsley cameo was pretty great though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a clip of the Saved by the Bell docuDrama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsEYWVJ-rA

Also, anyone catch Black Jesus last night?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

Here's a clip of the Saved by the Bell docuDrama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsEYWVJ-rA

Also, anyone catch Black Jesus last night?

Black Jesus is loving amazing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Jesus knowing everybody is the show's best running joke.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Can anyone recommend an impossibly twee show about female musicians trying to make it big in LA? I need inspiration for my suicide note.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Can anyone recommend an impossibly twee show about female musicians trying to make it big in LA? I need inspiration for my suicide note.

The L.A. Complex might not have the USDA recommended dose of female musicians specifically, but in other respects it may be what you are looking for in these dark times.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

From the description a few posts up, Garfunkel and Oates sounds pretty much exactly what he's looking for to end it all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

From the description a few posts up, Garfunkel and Oates sounds pretty much exactly what he's looking for to end it all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Irish Joe posted:

No, but I can recommend another fantastic IFC show: The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrAristocrates posted:

Black Jesus is loving amazing.

I just watched Black Jesus, and I endorse this statement.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I figured that at first, but then people started giving genuine answers, so...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

raditts posted:

I figured that at first, but then people started giving genuine answers, so...
:cmon:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

have u tried two broke girls lol..... owned.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Guys are we talking about Making The Band 3 up in here?

E: Black Jesus and Garfunkel and Oates are both on the "Have Potential" list -that I made. That currently has those two things on it. Also The Quest is embarrassingly corny, but no where near in a good way. It's dreadful. Like Penny Dreadful- well not in the same way. I'm just saying it's a really bad show. Don't watch it unless you are both blind and deaf.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 9, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Woah the knick has an amazing start.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

hcreight posted:

Jesus knowing everybody is the show's best running joke.

"You got the nerve, walking around w/ all that brown on, looking like the UPS Man. 'friend of the family Wan Kenobi'."

"What you guys didn't bring masks? We're doing some janky poo poo. When you do janky poo poo, you bring masks!"

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oh man The Knick pilot is unbelievable. I'm blown away.

It's got 2 encores starting now watch that poo poo.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 9, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"[Fading away like] Summer camp attendance at Penn State." <Picture of sad pee-wee football players>

God drat, Garfunkel and Oates.

EDIT: Oh, hey, Fred "I Was Once Known As A Child Actor But Then I Directed Some Of Always Sunny's Best Episodes" Savage directed the pilot? That explains some things.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'm probably a bad person because I thought I liked Garfunkel and Oates sooner than I did Broad City, which took like 2 or 3 episodes to get me in.

gently caress, I like it because they're twee, isn't it? :negative:

• Locked thread