Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Got back into this last night after not playing for a while (was Jet Age). The rocket arty situation is pretty ridiculous but buildings probably feel the least like doom forts as they have for a while which feels like a net positive. Doom forests seem to be in full force though, you can't recon the bloody things and if it isn't just one stand of trees surrounded by a plain making things really obvious then its pretty hard to know where to hit. I ended up just saturating a large patchy forest area with napalm arty every sixty seconds for five minutes to block line of sight and tried to go around instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Buildings haven't been doom forts in quite some time. Artillery (even mortars) and bombs (especially 2000lb bombs, not to mention napalm/thermobarics) both do an excellent job of wiping infantry from towns relatively efficiently.

If your deck can afford it, bring a card of napalm vehicles. They're like 20-30 points and can singlehandedly clear cities. If you're REDFOR you can take flame tanks for a bit more flexibility.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Leif. posted:

Buildings haven't been doom forts in quite some time. Artillery (even mortars) and bombs (especially 2000lb bombs, not to mention napalm/thermobarics) both do an excellent job of wiping infantry from towns relatively efficiently.

If your deck can afford it, bring a card of napalm vehicles. They're like 20-30 points and can singlehandedly clear cities. If you're REDFOR you can take flame tanks for a bit more flexibility.

Yeah I've been taking BM-24s and RM-70s and dropping tubes entirely.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Here's a list of working tags just right-click to copy:
#OTAN
#EURO #FRA #RFA #US #CMW #CAN #ANZ #UK #SCAND #DAN #NOR #SWE #BLUEDRAGONS #JAP #ROK
#PACT
#URSS #NSWP #RDA #POL #CZ #REDDRAGONS #NK #CHI

Special tags: #command #sea #reco1 #reco2 #reco3

Unfortunately, no #PROPANE :smith:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Anyone noticed that Teukjeonsa (SK elite recon) is probably mispriced? It's basically a stat clone of 30 point commando squads, except it's got optics, stealth and is inexplicably 5 points cheaper. It's nice to be able to use a recon slot for my airborne infantry, but...

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Xerxes17 posted:

Unfortunately, no #PROPANE :smith:

What have they done to the chat

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

quote:

#OTAN

You know what, gently caress you France. You're not allowed to insist on your own backwards-rear end anagram if you quite the god drat alliance.

e:

quote:

In 1966, all French armed forces were removed from NATO's integrated military command, and all non-French NATO troops were asked to leave France. U.S. Secretary of State Dean Rusk was later quoted as asking de Gaulle whether his order included "the bodies of American soldiers in France's cemeteries?"
:drat:

Hubis fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 7, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So I've been holding off playing this game until they hammered it into respectable shape, and I'm loving loving how great medium tanks are now. I'd never consider taking a base T-72 in any circumstance and I fired up this game, put them in on a lark, and they're turning out to be the main workforce of my attacks since they shred cities so effectively. Game is definitely better in this state than ALB imo

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Yeah I've been taking BM-24s and RM-70s and dropping tubes entirely.

The only tubes that make sense right now are the fast-firing counter-battery 155s like MSTA, CESAR, AS-90, and Paladins (maybe), and 120mm mortars, because they all aim so fast and are useful for counter-battery (mortars particularly against short-ranged napalm missiles) as well as sniping AA units, recon, and supply units, and smoke. People seriously under-utilize smoke right now, and this is part of the reason napalm rockets seem so amazing.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 7, 2014

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah there is definitely room for improvement in my smoke play (smoking?).

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
#OTAN

gently caress off france

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hubis posted:

You know what, gently caress you France. You're not allowed to insist on your own backwards-rear end anagram if you quite the god drat alliance.

France has always had a quiet "get back in quick" option to let them have their nationalist cake and eat the mutual defense cake too.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

JeffersonClay posted:

The only tubes that make sense right now are the fast-firing counter-battery 155s like MSTA, CESAR, AS-90, and Paladins (maybe), and 120mm mortars, because they all aim so fast and are useful for counter-battery (mortars particularly against short-ranged napalm missiles) as well as sniping AA units, recon, and supply units, and smoke. People seriously under-utilize smoke right now, and this is part of the reason napalm rockets seem so amazing.

I've been batting the idea around in my head that what BLUFOR needs is for ROK or JPN to get napalm rockets.

1. BLUFOR has no napalm artillery right now. When the Buratino was a Soviet boondoggle, this was bearable as being the kind of unevenness of capabilities that makes the game fun, but the current glut of REDFOR napalm arty makes it a meaningful capability gap.

2. Blue Dragons have no standout artillery right now. Their best tube is an 80-pt 155; they get decent mortars, and basic rocket artillery. Giving them napalm-throwers would revitalize their [SUP] tab.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

JeffersonClay posted:

25 point (82 mm I think) mortars are also great. Their aim time is extremely short and coupled with their short range they can drop shells on a target very, very quickly. They also fire a lot of shells very quickly in a barrage which means you can give them a fire order and then shift click a move order to make them almost impossible to counter-battery. Also the shells fall in a really small area that's just big enough to cover an urban block, and they're great for smoke due to the fast firing an large number of shells fired.

Honest to god they're almost my favorite type of arty right now.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Me and Shan are baking a new version of Ural Mod right now for testing.

Rough details here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_pPqXyE2SvnVlYSijHSIUbLQBktiXaPtFNIjb2kff78/edit#gid=0

Edit:

quote:

ClassNameForDebug: Unit_Tungunska_RDA"

:suicide: Our intrepid developers.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 7, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

sgnl05 posted:

25 point (82 mm I think) mortars are also great. Their aim time is extremely short and coupled with their short range they can drop shells on a target very, very quickly. They also fire a lot of shells very quickly in a barrage which means you can give them a fire order and then shift click a move order to make them almost impossible to counter-battery. Also the shells fall in a really small area that's just big enough to cover an urban block, and they're great for smoke due to the fast firing an large number of shells fired.

Honest to god they're almost my favorite type of arty right now.

All mortars are like that though. Except if they're not 120's their damage will be negligible. The smaller mortars may be good for smoke, I guess, but they lack any real advantage over the 120's and if you're just looking for smoke there are things like the Vasilek for that.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

RE: Plane chat

Main thing to keep in mind is that the higher end fighters tend to have the [F&F] tag compared to the [SA] tag on their long range missiles of most other fighters. This means that by the time their first wave of missiles are about to hit, their second wave has already launched which gives them a better chance to kill planes which includes bombers that have just started their evac runs. It's what makes a SU-27PU worth two deck slots IMHO.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Long range missiles make a big difference when trying to catch ground attackers. Them and speed are very nice to have on your fighters even if they aren't on all fighters.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Incidentally that reminds me -- do the TV Guided missiles on certain planes (One of the SU-27 variants I believe has one) function any differently in-game than say, a Maverick?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
By the way, in keeping with the earlier discussion about mortars, if you want to see a game with an absolutely stellar use of smoke, in my opinion check this out. My jaw dropped when these guys started laying down carpets and walls of smoke just to run up riflemen covered by TOW-2 missiles. Even a pretty liberal amount of rocket artillery couldn't slow this down once it got started. I was illegitimatt, polish armor on redfor.

E: It also demonstrates the effectiveness of NATO "bully tanks" like the Challenger series at fighting and dominating business-class T-72s.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 7, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PC dead :( HD and possibly Mobo I think, if the loving thing not identifying ANY of my drives on startup is appropriate for that diagnosis.

poo poo sucks all the dicks.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

Leif. posted:

Incidentally that reminds me -- do the TV Guided missiles on certain planes (One of the SU-27 variants I believe has one) function any differently in-game than say, a Maverick?

I think it's just fluff

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I thought they were fire and forget unlike the SALH missiles. The SALH missiles move so fast its probably not a huge advantage though.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

I thought they were fire and forget unlike the SALH missiles. The SALH missiles move so fast its probably not a huge advantage though.

They are F&F, but it's just another fluff piece like "infrared" and Radar etc

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Apologies if I'm being thick but I thought SALH required the firing platform to stay on course whereas F & F means it could go off course and potentially evac? That's a reasonable difference in survivability right?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Apologies if I'm being thick but I thought SALH required the firing platform to stay on course whereas F & F means it could go off course and potentially evac? That's a reasonable difference in survivability right?

SALH/SACLOS/MCLOS/GUIDED/TV GUIDED/INFRARED/RADAR etc all function the same (on their own), they just mostly have different flight speeds and better base stats.

F&F is a separate tag that, that is sometimes always associated with some "guidance modes" that turns them into... well fire and forget.

edit: more specifically, all those guidance modes go in the "calibre" description. That it to say they're as important as "7.62mmx51mm, or "7.62mmx54mm" or whatever in the descriptions. They have no effect directly on the game engine (but other stats like suppression etc might be based on it).

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 8, 2014

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Makes perfect Eugen sense.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shanakin posted:

edit: more specifically, all those guidance modes go in the "calibre" description. That it to say they're as important as "7.62mmx51mm, or "7.62mmx54mm" or whatever in the descriptions. They have no effect directly on the game engine (but other stats like suppression etc might be based on it).

Oh, you know, of course.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Shanakin posted:

SALH/SACLOS/MCLOS/GUIDED/TV GUIDED/INFRARED/RADAR etc all function the same (on their own), they just mostly have different flight speeds and better base stats.

F&F is a separate tag that, that is sometimes always associated with some "guidance modes" that turns them into... well fire and forget.

This is why I just play the game instead of digging too deeply into Eugen's design. Because that way lies madness.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

PC dead :( HD and possibly Mobo I think, if the loving thing not identifying ANY of my drives on startup is appropriate for that diagnosis.

hey congratulations on getting your life back

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Shanakin posted:

Yeah, if it's not within [], it generally doesn't mean poo poo. [SA] means it can fire while moving (at generally reduced accuracy), and will only miss if your launching vehicle changes targets, is told to do something dumb by you, loses LoS, or gets stunned/killed. [GUID] is the same without any movement allowed while the missile is flying. [F+F] means as soon as it's fired, it rolls to hit or miss, and nothing can change that outcome, even no LoS of the target.

Fun fact about ALB: early on in the plane code if you gave a dumb bomber an attack command, they would track and shoot on that target even if they lost LoS immediately after the command. This meant you could spot CVs with a recon team at a spawn point, call in a bomber, and the bomb would generally hit a target where ever the gently caress it went to on the map. So long as they didn't make a course correction after the bombs were dropped, most planes even lead that invisible, moving target with dumb bombs effectively :v:. I won a ranked game real early against a good NATO player by double sniping a set of VAB PCs like this, using MiG-29 cluster bombers. The F-117 was also notoriously good at this, as it would drop it's Paveway at 3500 meters from the meet point, but the bomb could follow a moving target for however long it took to actually catch it. The Paveway was originally a weird mix of bomb/F+F missile that handled unqiuely, but I think it's been hammered into a regular, slow moving missile now.

In EE, there used to be noticeable differences between flight time and accuracy checking of MCLOS, SACLOS and SALH missiles. In ALB this was still kind of there but they basically removed the in-flight accuracy checks (the 20 second thing that they changed in RD to .02 that caused the ATGM bugs). Hence it was mostly just flight time and the other stats, and really only SALH were notiably faster anymore (Bradley vs BMP-3 the only real example worth mentioning).

There is still some flight time stuff, but it all seems a lot less consequential then it used to. Probably the general scale change they've been after (giant maps) and how conquest really doesn't value individual unit traits quite like destruction did.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 8, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Mazz posted:

In EE, there used to be noticeable differences between flight time and accuracy checking of MCLOS, SACLOS and SALH missiles. In ALB this was still kind of there but they basically removed the in-flight accuracy checks (the 20 second thing that they changed in RD to .02 that caused the ATGM bugs). Hence it was mostly just flight time and the other stats, and really only SALH were notiably faster anymore (Bradley vs BMP-3 the only real example worth mentioning).

There is still some flight time stuff, but it all seems a lot less consequential then it used to. Probably the general scale change they've been after (giant maps) and how conquest really doesn't value individual unit traits quite like destruction did.

This is hugely noticeable now when comparing how MCLOS missiles worked in EE (unlikely to ever hit, even if they didn't roll a miss they'd still take often upwards of 15 seconds to hit the target) with how they work in RD (Ferret Entac can fire on the move somewhat accurately with its MCLOS missiles).

Dandywalken posted:

Mine died too. It's under warranty but loving RMAs take forever.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfRqrxGQQg4

Eugene just posted this. Looks pretty amazing.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Can't say I'm happy to see Eugen going back up the generic RTS route but I guess we'll see.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Chiwie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfRqrxGQQg4

Eugene just posted this. Looks pretty amazing.

Looks like a modern day C&C Generals.
And that would be amazing.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Three games later, and still using the same (base) models that they got for EE.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

Fun fact about ALB: early on in the plane code if you gave a dumb bomber an attack command, they would track and shoot on that target even if they lost LoS immediately after the command.

In EE you could do this with rocket artillery. Each rocket would be fired at the location where the unit was at the time of shooting, causing a funny trail to form after the fleeing vehicle.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hob_Gadling posted:

In EE you could do this with rocket artillery. Each rocket would be fired at the location where the unit was at the time of shooting, causing a funny trail to form after the fleeing vehicle.

Oh god, do you remember the AML 60? All artillery could lead targets there but those used to track/lead by default, be really accurate and you could get like 16 in a deck. It was unbeatable.

EE really had the best broken gimmicks, I think mainly because the game wasn't really figured out like it is now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 8, 2014

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Q =/= E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
The AML 60 (or the Serval, can't remember which one) at one point also did basically the same damage as a 155mm tube as well. Except it had borderline unlimited ammo, and you could have a million of them.

• Locked thread