Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
pram ur a little hostile and it's not helping

Egan Yardley posted:

10 years ago tho, right?

right????????????????????

it was before I started here but it may have been as recent as 5 years ago. they needed more computers and thought it would be a good idea to find the same model they already had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well it works out I guess because we have 1 ghost image for all the student machines

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
av/posting combo chain from pram here imo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

another thing we do is we have some windows 7 VMs on a vsphere host so students can remote into them. because we needed windows 7 for an office admin class but it's a small class and doing vms was cheaper than upgrading all the pentium 4s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

my brain doesn't like the thought that the planck time means that there actually are "frames" in the movie that is our life, as opposed to a continual flow

placnk length doesnt mean something cant be smaller than it but that its physically impossible (a physical, not a technological limitiation) to measure anyu kind of smaller distance, so any smaller distance is meaningless. perhaps time is like that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
planck time is just the minimum margin of error

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or the length of time you can stand penetration before you ejaculate

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

maniacdevnull posted:

has anyone had any experience with http://www.fixez.com/? how would they compare from your average china seller on amazon w.r.t part quality and shipping time?

since no one answered: i ended up using them and so far fixez looks like Good poo poo. i ordered the new screen on sunday night, i had it in hand thursday afternoon and an hour of surgery later my telephonoputermatic is back up and running

unrelated topic, if anyone wants a nexus 4 screen with one slight crack near the top and a broken digitizer let me know, 1280 x 768 pixels at 318dpi, no idea how to interface to it (goon project??) but the screen still works great

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

:master:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

hey drug man, try a trazadone before bedtime

i'm like a paraplegic on that stuff

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

hey drug man, try a trazadone before bedtime

i'm like a paraplegic on that stuff
have you heard about some of the side effects though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

have you heard about some of the side effects though

lol

my doctor just told me to stop taking OTC benadryl as a sleep aid and wrote me a scrip for this stuff

later on i noticed that uh, i didn't get off so quick which can be nice

wikipedia posted:

Clinical reports have also described trazodone-associated psychosexual side effects in women, including increased libido, priapism of the clitoris, and spontaneous orgasms.

this stuff sells itself

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

lol

my doctor just told me to stop taking OTC benadryl as a sleep aid and wrote me a scrip for this stuff

later on i noticed that uh, i didn't get off so quick which can be nice

this stuff sells itself
yeah those side effects are way more common in S_RI antidepressants

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
idiot question about compressed air that i'm about to use w/my computer's optical drive. i bought it at radioshack which is probably already a problem to begin with. i can't figure out how to get it to work! i've used compressed air many, many times in my life, so this is really frustrating. the trigger won't pull back so nothing comes out. i pulled off the cap and here's what it looks like at 3 different angles:

i tried pulling that little tab thing off, but it looked like it wouldn't do anything

side view

bottom inside view. pushing the trigger does nothing because of how the back is snapped in

i know i'm doing something real stupid, but i'm stumped :(

the directions say nothing about this

edit: NEVER MIND IT WAS THE TAB lol

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

did you pull any tabs off
there's probably a tab locking the trigger so tehy don't end up going off in transit

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's missing compressed air canister i think

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

did you pull any tabs off
there's probably a tab locking the trigger so tehy don't end up going off in transit

:suicide:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

no don't put it to your head

this can actually be quite bad

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i put it in my pee hole

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
sweet :mrgw:

that just fixed my super drive on my mac. i was too lazy to find one of those cleaner discs or wait for it in the mail so i went out and bought compressed air and just shot it in the drive's slot back and forth a few times. i was kind of afraid of risking damage.. but it worked!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what the gently caress are optical drives for

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bloody posted:

in the stone age we could only store data in hunks of metal with holes carved in

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Panty Saluter posted:

in the stone age we could only store data in hunks of metal with holes carved in

bring back magneto-optical drives :pcgaming:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no dont

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

hi-tech as gently caress in '96

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

writing a cd so ur kids can play it on the stereo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hjalp me i have been having problems with my cable modem for a few days. i have 50/10 service from comcast but lately i have been getting more like 1.5/10. so i logged into the modem config (a motorola sb6141) and noticed i am having problems on 2 channels:

(upstream is oddly completely fine)

and i also noticed this in the logs:

(repeated over and over)

so i called comcast and had to speak to like 8 different people until i finally got one that understood what the issue was. they sent a tech out today and he rewired basically everything outside my house

aaannndd that fixed the problem until literally like 15 minutes after he left when the loving problem came back.

help me yospos i need internet with lots of bits quickly

oh also i went out and bought a completely new sb6141 to see if it was maybe a problem with my modem. nope! same loving problem and now i gotta drive all the way back to costco

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

hjalp me i have been having problems with my cable modem for a few days. i have 50/10 service from comcast but lately i have been getting more like 1.5/10. so i logged into the modem config (a motorola sb6141) and noticed i am having problems on 2 channels:

(repeated over and over)

so i called comcast and had to speak to like 8 different people until i finally got one that understood what the issue was. they sent a tech out today and he rewired basically everything outside my house

aaannndd that fixed the problem until literally like 15 minutes after he left when the loving problem came back.

oh also i went out and bought a completely new sb6141 to see if it was maybe a problem with my modem. nope! same loving problem and now i gotta drive all the way back to costco

install linux

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the modem already runs linux and i use the superior bsd-based mac os x 10.10 "mauve rick"

i think you will find that mac os x is a Certified UNIX tyvm

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it reads that theres a problem with the flux decombobulator

Juan Berenguer
Feb 21, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

(repeated over and over)

Is QoS on? I had a similar problem with Comcast, and it was loving QoS of all things. Try turning it off.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
sorry beeftweeter you're just going to have to call comcast get a tech to take a look. it's probably the line on the outside of your apartment/house, and the stuff in the logs is most likely a result of the lack of signal. good luck

gently caress comcast

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Juan Berenguer posted:

Is QoS on? I had a similar problem with Comcast, and it was loving QoS of all things. Try turning it off.

theres no option to turn it on/off

anthonypants posted:

sorry beeftweeter you're just going to have to call comcast get a tech to take a look. it's probably the line on the outside of your apartment/house, and the stuff in the logs is most likely a result of the lack of signal. good luck

gently caress comcast

a tech already came and fixed the problem for like 20 minutes. i called comcast and asked if they could send the guy back and some indian dude said he talked to dispatch and they couldn't send him back again (this was at around 3 PM), but he could set me up an appointment for tomorrow (today) at 11 so i said ok. at 7 pm i get a call from comcast dispatch saying they just got the escalated ticket but it was way too late to send someone back at that point; i said "thats ok, i have an appointment for 11 am tomorrow anyway". the lady literally laughed and said "no you dont, you're not on the schedule and the only slot open is 1-3 anyway"

gently caress

COMCAST

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the verge has an article about how everyone is recording calls with comcast customer service so maybe you could try that and post it online somewhere

verge score for comcast: 8.6

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you need service and support just pay for a buainess line. I have never been on hold more than 5 minutes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

anthonypants posted:

the verge has an article about how everyone is recording calls with comcast customer service so maybe you could try that and post it online somewhere

verge score for comcast: 8.6

well idk, everyone was fairly courteous, they just dicked me around and refused to transfer me to a higher level tech so i could actually explain to someone what my problem was without them thinking i was talking about loving TV channels. one guy actually had the loving nerve to try and sell me telephone service after i just finished explaining to them how much their service blows gigantic dick shards though

lampey posted:

If you need service and support just pay for a buainess line. I have never been on hold more than 5 minutes.

i wasn't actually on hold at all (and i talked to literally like 9 people), they were all just really loving useless. one guy even said "i wish i knew what you were talking about so i could help you"

i did eventually wrangle a better support line number from them though. if anyone needs it its 855-308-9452

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
can anyone give a reasonable explanation why Facebook implemented a separate messenger app?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

can anyone give a reasonable explanation why Facebook implemented a separate messenger app?

yes. Their analytics showed that people replied more quickly and often to texts sent with a separate app, so the idea was to force people to move to get more business. It hasn't quite gone according to plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also their horrifyingly bad app design resulted in needing to rewrite portions of the android jvm at startup or something so maybe debloating it a bit would help

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/under-the-hood-dalvik-patch-for-facebook-for-android/10151345597798920