Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Feenix posted:

I'm giving everything I have away in between each mission. I've made it to "Friends" with some folks. I've gotten some neat trinkets and perks but nothing that has yet changed the tide of an encounter.

Hmm, focus on getting all the children in early days and you should get 10+ reward in one item. That will let you give two full sets to people which should get you to "Great Friends" pretty fast. Make sure you only give what is green in the text. You'll frequently get +40 energy once you have it up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Feenix posted:

I would scratch out Fun and say "Novel". It's cool to check out but you won't likely play it much.

I've only done quest mode single player a bit, but it's fun with two. It's also a good way to get decent enough at the mechanics to make anyone else who plays the main mode hate you.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Pleads posted:

Where the hell does tower defense come in to Towerfall

You have to defend yourself from your friends if you play it right/you and your friends are dicks. :getin:

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

mikeycp posted:

I've only done quest mode single player a bit, but it's fun with two. It's also a good way to get decent enough at the mechanics to make anyone else who plays the main mode hate you.

Also helps unlock new stuff, which makes the MP all the more fun!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Got a PS4, upgraded the hard drive, and now I get a blank screen. :/

I put in a new 2 TB drive, got the update file on a USB drive, and got to the Safe Mode. Selected the last option (#7? Initialize with new software? something like that) and it found the file on the USB drive and started fine. THe progress meter started to fill.

I switched the TV's input to my cable since I didn't know how long it would take and didn't feel like just watching the progress meter. Then after a few minutes, my TV automatically switched to the PS4's input, which it sometimes does when something on an HDMI port powers on, so I figured the PS4 finished installing the software and rebooted.

But now it's just a blank screen. Not a lack of input, because my TV tells me if there's no input...it's just an input of nothing. Been like this for at least five minutes. The power light on the PS4 is slowly blinking blue.

Edit: Turned it off with a long press of the power "button", rebooted again in safe mode. Went through the steps again, same thing.

I noticed there were two progress meters. Both of them went to 100%, then it rebooted to a blank screen.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 7, 2014

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sounds like an input thing. Unplug/replug HDMI?

edit I know it would say no signal if it wasn't reading it, but maybe the PS is having trouble reading/has better things to do right now than read the HDMI properly.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Blue flashing usually indicates it's booting, but you should see something on screen even if it's your tv flickering a lot. Check all your cables and give it a few minutes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Gave it lots of minutes, probably ten, nothing. I tried all my HDMI ports, unplugged and replugged it in on the PS4.

I can only get into Safe Mode. I tried putting the resolution at 480, and same thing, I get a blank screen, though this time the "blank" part is only at the 490 resolution. I have black bars on both sides of the "blank" (but still backlit,) areas.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Gave it lots of minutes, probably ten, nothing. I tried all my HDMI ports, unplugged and replugged it in on the PS4.

I can only get into Safe Mode. I tried putting the resolution at 480, and same thing, I get a blank screen, though this time the "blank" part is only at the 490 resolution. I have black bars on both sides of the "blank" (but still backlit,) areas.

Does putting the 500 gig drive back in work?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

What if you turn it on with a long press of the power button (until it beeps)? That was the trick for some video input trickery on the PS3.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

esperantinc posted:

What if you turn it on with a long press of the power button (until it beeps)? That was the trick for some video input trickery on the PS3.

That's how you get into "Safe Mode" on PS4, so that works, to the extent I can only go into that mode and not actually USE the PS4.

univbee posted:

Does putting the 500 gig drive back in work?

Just swapped it back in, and so far, no. I get a "No input" right now from my TV, so not even a "blank screen but still an input" like before. Power light continues to slowly blink blue.

I'll attempt Safe Mode and re-initialize with the old HD.

Edit: Fantastic, now I can't even get into the Safe Mode.

I hold the power button down, it beeps once, blue light starts to flash. I continue holding it waiting for the second beep. I finally get the second beep, much longer than I expected, and it just turns off. Tried about half a dozen times, keeps doing that.

Time to call Sony, I guess.

Second edit: Found two articles.

This one says a piece of metal in the HDMI port might be the culprit.

And this one from Sony is basically "we don't know, but let is know if it happens to you."

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 7, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Try restarting like the guy above said (or pulling the plug if it comes to that) then if that fails try the firmware instal from scratch if possible, let us know if it happens again. The PS4 needs to reboot to finish installing firmware, so it's possible it got hung up on the reboot--I've had that happen with a shut down before.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, it's seems to be hosed.

Is it better to return it via Amazon, or contact Sony? For some reason, I get the feeling going through Amazon might be quicker.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Speaking of problems, it now seems that my PS4 just won't charge controllers. I have to hook them up to my computer (with the same cable, mind you) to get them charging. If I leave it connected to my PS4 it eventually auto-shuts off and I've never seen it charge the battery except for rare circumstances. I've tried three different cables, which work to download profiles to my Gold headset, and work to charge the cable if connected to my PC, but not charge if they're connected to the PS4.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ularg posted:

Speaking of problems, it now seems that my PS4 just won't charge controllers. I have to hook them up to my computer (with the same cable, mind you) to get them charging. If I leave it connected to my PS4 it eventually auto-shuts off and I've never seen it charge the battery except for rare circumstances. I've tried three different cables, which work to download profiles to my Gold headset, and work to charge the cable if connected to my PC, but not charge if they're connected to the PS4.

It only charges if you leave the ps4 in standby. If it's turned off there's no power.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, it's seems to be hosed.

Is it better to return it via Amazon, or contact Sony? For some reason, I get the feeling going through Amazon might be quicker.

Amazon will be quicker and you will be getting a new PS4 rather than Sony fixing your broken one.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Malt posted:

Amazon will be quicker and you will be getting a new PS4 rather than Sony fixing your broken one.

I've had to do two warranty repairs and got a different ps4 back each time.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Athenry posted:

It only charges if you leave the ps4 in standby. If it's turned off there's no power.

Yeah, I'm either in standby or it's on and idling when I keep my controller plugged in. Still doesn't charge.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Malt posted:

Yeah, I guess I'll have my PS4 on Monday...would have been nice to have this weekend to play it, but, welp, guess not.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Ularg posted:

Yeah, I'm either in standby or it's on and idling when I keep my controller plugged in. Still doesn't charge.

You tried both USB slots on the PS4? It could be that the USB slot you've been trying on the console itself is busted.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
So after watching and rewatching the Beyond Earth stream, I am pretty hyped. That said, I don't like how sterile the UI is. I miss the cool little portraits next to everything.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Fez is pretty fun. I might try to do the 209.4% or whatever on my main account after I finish it once through.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Last of Us just received a new patch that will improve multiplayer match times, but is not considered a full fix; to do that, apparently Naughty Dog will have to rip apart the code and go from scratch, which they are in the progress of doing.

Also, everyone can celebrate that Casey "Locked Myself in a Room to Write Mass Effect 3's Ending" Hudson has left BioWare.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

timeandtide posted:

Also, everyone can celebrate that Casey "Locked Myself in a Room to Write Mass Effect 3's Ending" Hudson has left BioWare.

:toot:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm disappointed to see the project lead behind several of the best Bioware, and Mass Effect, games leave the company and wish him all the best in the future.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Are people really still upset about the mass effect ending?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

blackguy32 posted:

Forever, so much. It made them retroactively hate an entire company.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

blackguy32 posted:

I was never upset, just really disappointed. It probably helped that I first played the series last fall, after the initial backlash. I had a lot of love for the series and the third game was pretty bad from a story standpoint.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Considering Mass Effect 2 was my favorite game last generation, yeah, gently caress that guy and gently caress Bioware forever. I can't think of an ending in any video game or movie that bummed me out more than ME3.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That guy made Mass Effect 2.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No poo poo Dan - point being they took all of the goodwill from the first two Mass Effect and flushed it down the toilet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I guess I'm just a positive person.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't think people are still upset insomuch that they still remember the ending and still think it was a really dumb, wet fart of an ending. For me, it kind of ruined the franchise. Playing the previous titles feels like a slow funeral march towards disappointment. Boy that ending was dumb, but it was the cherry on top of bad writing.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Writing off the company that developed Baldur's Gate II over the (admittedly not good) ending to an otherwise very good series is pretty dumb.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess the most charitable thing I can say is that I hope his next project makes use of his good ideas and not his awful, awful ideas.

edit: I guess a prerequisite is that he understands why the ending of ME3 was awful, and I am not sure he does. Has anyone read an interview with him or something where he demonstrates that he knows the ending was awful and why? All I have heard is his responding to people saying that they wanted more closure for the characters, but that is completely beside the point as far as I am concerned.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That guy was in great part responsible for Mass Effect being what it was from the very beginning, for better or worse, as well as Kotor. Pretty silly to dismiss his contribution to BW games based on that one misstep. I didn't agree with the exact direction he was taking the franchise but I certainly respect the guy. He had dreamy hair~

Plus, he graced Didio's custom title for a while, iirc.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I wish he were still with us.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

That guy was in great part responsible for Mass Effect being what it was from the very beginning, for better or worse, as well as Kotor. Pretty silly to dismiss his contribution to BW games based on that one misstep. I didn't agree with the exact direction he was taking the franchise but I certainly respect the guy. He had dreamy hair~

I don't think it was just a misstep; somehow he demonstrated a complete misunderstanding of what he himself wrote. It makes me question everything else he writes from here on out. It makes me wonder if he's suddenly going to poo poo all over it for reasons known only to himself.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I read an interview or something from a current employee saying that the guy had a hard time understanding why someone would feel a certain way about something when he thought it was fine. Like he didn't understand humans' need for denouement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I read an interview or something from a current employee saying that the guy had a hard time understanding why someone would feel a certain way about something when he thought it was fine. Like he didn't understand humans' need for denouement.

I think that was part of those posts attributed to Patrick Weekes, or some statement Weekes made after the fact about Hudson. I'm pretty sure it was either one of those posts, or Weekes himself.

• Locked thread