Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

Or ever really. The common notion that the Titanic was called unsinkable by the White Star company isn't true.

You're right, but it's a little bit more complicated than that: http://www.snopes.com/history/titanic/unsinkable.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hello, thread, thanks for carrying on for this long! First thread I have ever made.

I for one support a shift from serial killers back to disasters, at least for a while. A serial killer is a bad person who does terrible poo poo to a few people on purpose, a (man-made) disaster can often be traced to one or a small group of people making innocent mistakes or irresponsible choices that can kill hundreds, or impact millions of lives!

The RMS Titanic is a good example of making something big and not anticipating big problems in might create (and taking shortcuts to save time). There's a lot of 'if only's that stacked up - bad conditions, mistaken identities, just plain bad luck, which made for a lovely night for people sailing aboard her and a lovely week in Halifax when they tried to sort through what they could of the dead.

As a child, I loved the stories of The Thinking Machine, and was grealy saddened when I discovered that the author died on the Titanic. I was six or seven, the Titanic had just been rediscovered and subsequently visited by the Alvin so it was fresh in my mind, and it was the first time I put the people who put words on the page as people who had lives and died, if that made any sense. Also I was kind of dumb and thought the Thinking Machine were modern stories, so I was mostly sad that there wouldn't be anymore. Also that there was an unpublished Thinking Machine story that went down with the ship. :smith:

But Jacques Futrelle's wife made it on a lifeboat while he stayed behind so Mr. Futrelle owns. :unsmith:

Lastly most unnearving and scary this the DSV Alvin is still in service after all these years and several refits. Scary awesome. Keep exploring the deep, little buddy. See what you can see. :unsmith:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Leon Einstein posted:

Or ever really. The common notion that the Titanic was called unsinkable by the White Star company isn't true.

"God Himself couldn't sink this ship, and we dare Him to try!"

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I remember reading about the Kursk as it happened and feeling the oddest sense of relief when they revealed that the sailors died six hours in and didn't linger for six days slowly starving and gasping for breath in an underwater tomb.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SlothBear posted:

I remember reading about the Kursk as it happened and feeling the oddest sense of relief when they revealed that the sailors died six hours in and didn't linger for six days slowly starving and gasping for breath in an underwater tomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dG5KSD-8J4

How about that guy who spent three days underwater in a shipwreck (and survived!)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sustentacular posted:

MV Sewol

Of the 476 on board, 294 died, as well as 1 navy sailor, 2 civilian divers, and 5 emergency workers. Ten are still missing. Most of the people who died were teenagers - only 75 of the 325 members of the junior class were able to return to school. The vice-principal, who was rescued and survived the disaster, committed suicide a few days after the event. But probably the most unnerving thing about this is all the videos that were shot from cell phones by the passengers, and uploaded to the internet. Including one where some teenage girls are singing Titanic's "My Heart Will Go On" :smith:

Also worth mentioning that the captain and several crew members changed clothes as the boat was sinking so that they could pass as civilians and get on the life boats.

And I've watched some of those videos, it's pretty drat sad to hear the kids going like "oh man what if it really does sink and we all die (laughter)" and so on. They didn't realize it was a real emergency until it was too late. :smith:

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.

RevSyd posted:

I bought the original CD in the early 00's... at first you're just "Hahaha cursing angry drunks" but after a while you really get sucked into the complex and dysfunctional relationship between the two men (and there's a creepy third guy who apparently just sat there drinking and never said anything), after learning more about them it becomes really sad and almost heartbreaking, but somehow doesn't stop being funny.

Yeah, I used to listen to the CD a bit then too. Pretty dark stuff, really, but impossible not to laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9GB8YPy3uI

prick with tenure has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Aug 6, 2014

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_doll :nws: duh

quote:

The dame de voyage (French) or dama de viaje (Spanish) was a direct predecessor to today's sex dolls that originated in the seventeenth century. Dames de voyage were makeshift masturbatory dolls made of sewn cloth or old clothes, used by French and Spanish sailors while isolated at sea during long voyages.[1]

:stare: the smell.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
After a few months I imagine that they'd change their mind on buggery.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

And people wonder why the British were better on the sea. Jesus. Just gently caress the ship's goats like everyone else, France.

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Also worth mentioning that the captain and several crew members changed clothes as the boat was sinking so that they could pass as civilians and get on the life boats.

And I've watched some of those videos, it's pretty drat sad to hear the kids going like "oh man what if it really does sink and we all die (laughter)" and so on. They didn't realize it was a real emergency until it was too late. :smith:

The eerie prescience some kids had about how it was going to end really gets me. Imagine being a mom and your kid's gone off on a school holiday, for all you know he's having the time of his life with his friends on a routine ferry trip. All of a sudden your phone buzzes and you have a text message saying "Mom, in case I never get to say it... I love you." You hammer out "Huh? Love you too" and wonder what the gently caress he's on about

And that's the last time you ever talk to him. gently caress!

Also, I don't know how much of the case is being followed outside Korea but the ferry sinking is only the beginning. To date, this clusterfuck has touched upon shadowy networks of shell corporations, doomsday cults committing mass suicide, utterly botched/suspiciously mismanaged police investigations followed by high-ranking resignations and now the corpse of the ferry owner has been revealed to have been found a month and a half ago, weeks before the manhunt was called off. It's the rabbit hole of rabbit holes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

To think the "happy sock" is actually a long standing naval tradition. :v:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

This may seem like an odd one, but it's one specific thing about the disorder that unnerves me.
OCD has one extremely specific diagnostic criteria that almost no other mental disorder has.
Egodystonia.
This means that the person in question has to be totally aware that what they are doing is irrational or unnecessary (or to phrase it another way, nuts.)
It freaks me out that someone can see what they're doing, know it is an insane thing to be doing, and have absolutely no power to stop doing it.
I really can't imagine being utterly helpless like that not because of some external force, but because your own brain is simply overriding you. It scares me to even try to imagine it.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I wouldn't classify OCD as unnerving. Scary, yes, but not in the way you're thinking. Mostly, it's irritating and inconvenient and mood-ruining.

Source: I have OCD and I have to avoid certain numbers, have writing compulsions, etc. etc. I think I'm closer to the O than the C, but I have friends who are very C and the prevailing attitude towards OCD is "gently caress this poo poo", not "ooooh spooky".

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Rysithusiku posted:

This may seem like an odd one, but it's one specific thing about the disorder that unnerves me.
OCD has one extremely specific diagnostic criteria that almost no other mental disorder has.
Egodystonia.
This means that the person in question has to be totally aware that what they are doing is irrational or unnecessary (or to phrase it another way, nuts.)
It freaks me out that someone can see what they're doing, know it is an insane thing to be doing, and have absolutely no power to stop doing it.
I really can't imagine being utterly helpless like that not because of some external force, but because your own brain is simply overriding you. It scares me to even try to imagine it.

A million times this. My teenage daughter has real diagnosed OCD and sometimes the stuff she does makes her so upset that she cries while she's doing it.
gently caress people that giggle and say "OMG I'm so ocd!" because they like to straighten the pencils on their desks. My daughter just called me because she washed her hands too much and one's bleeding.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

The whole sex doll thing creeps me the gently caress out. Even though they are lumps of plastic I find the glassy eyes and limp bodies to be utterly horrifying, they look like corpses slumped in wheelchairs. Even more horrifying are the sorts of people who are super into the doll loving community and the way they refer to women as 'human females'. I may be remembering wrong, but when the doll fucker thread was around people posted stories of folks who worked in doll repair shops and how they would receive dolls who were riddled with knife wounds or had their vaginas slashed up and poo poo. :gonk:

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

chthonic bell posted:

I wouldn't classify OCD as unnerving. Scary, yes, but not in the way you're thinking. Mostly, it's irritating and inconvenient and mood-ruining.

Source: I have OCD and I have to avoid certain numbers, have writing compulsions, etc. etc. I think I'm closer to the O than the C, but I have friends who are very C and the prevailing attitude towards OCD is "gently caress this poo poo", not "ooooh spooky".

Really depends on the severity. We had a lady here who had to have reconstructive surgery when her OCD kicked in regarding her various bowel problems and she ended up trying to clean her anus with bleach and steel wool repeatedly.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Stairs posted:

A million times this. My teenage daughter has real diagnosed OCD and sometimes the stuff she does makes her so upset that she cries while she's doing it.
gently caress people that giggle and say "OMG I'm so ocd!" because they like to straighten the pencils on their desks. My daughter just called me because she washed her hands too much and one's bleeding.

Agreed, and sorry to hear about your daughter. What type of help is she getting? It really is something that is ingrained deep in the mind and I'm sure we don't really understand much about the mental disorder.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rysithusiku posted:

Egodystonia.

OCD isn't the only egodystonic mental disorder, there are quite a few. Depression could be considered egodystonic after cognitive behavior therapy, a common statement by depressed individuals seeking therapy is 'I know it's stupid that I'm this depressed, but I just can't break out of it'. Tourette's Syndrome is just as egodystonic as OCD, and there are quite a few other mental issues that, once you get them pointed out, are completely understood to be unhelpful or bad even in the grips of it.

I have Tourette's (and, like most people with Tourette's, I have some OCD symptoms as well) and it is utterly maddening to sit there and feel the urge to twitch build up and get stronger. There's little you can do to make the feeling go away, except twitch. There are also certain materials that, on bad days, I just can't even touch. For me it is specifically cardboard, and very dry cotton balls (it's weird as hell, I know) and it is super annoying. I can usually make myself do it if I have to, even on my worse days, but I have to go wash my hands like 4,000 times an hour to get past it. I agree with the other poster where I wouldn't exactly call it creepy, but it is highly annoying.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Found this in the Schadenfreud thread, but it really should be here due to it's catastrophic nature: The Texas City Disaster.

I don't know much about ammonium nitrate, but it was apparently the catalyst of an explosion that:

Wikipedia posted:

[T]he tremendous blast sent a 15-foot (4.5 m) wave that was detectable nearly 100 miles (160 km) off the Texas shoreline. The blast leveled nearly 1,000 buildings on land. The Grandcamp explosion destroyed the Monsanto Chemical Company plant and resulted in ignition of refineries and chemical tanks on the waterfront. Falling bales of burning twine added to the damage while the Grandcamp's anchor was hurled across the city. Two sightseeing airplanes flying nearby had their wings shorn off,[6] forcing them out of the sky. 10 miles (16 km) away, people in Galveston were forced to their knees; windows were shattered in Houston, Texas, 40 miles (60 km) away. People felt the shock 100 miles (160 km) away in Louisiana. The explosion blew almost 6,350 short tons (5,760 metric tons) of the ship's steel into the air, some at supersonic speed. Official casualty estimates came to a total of 567, including all the crewmen who remained onboard the Grandcamp, but many victims were burned to ashes or blown to bits, and the official death total is believed to be an undercount.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Old Boot posted:

The creepy as hell thing, for me, in this, is the total lack of disaster preparedness that we have in a great deal of hospital, counties, cities, states, etc, and that it defaults to relying on people who are working off of so much fatigue and anxiety based on the total lack of response (throughout the entire thing, no matter how much they tried to communicate) from their parent company (Tenet) that they thought that euthanizing people during an evacuation is their best course of action. If it was in the thick of it, I could understand.

All in all, the story of Memorial sucks for the patients, and the doctors.

EDIT 2: There was a similar situation that happened with Hurricane Sandy.

Great read. I think one of the creepiest things in the world is our precarious sense of security in developed countries. We're all like a week or two away from helplessness from lack of food, clean water, medicine, transportation, etc., but not only do we not seem to be too concerned about it, we are incredibly smug about it.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Rodent Mortician posted:

Really depends on the severity. We had a lady here who had to have reconstructive surgery when her OCD kicked in regarding her various bowel problems and she ended up trying to clean her anus with bleach and steel wool repeatedly.

Like I said: scary, yes. But probably not in the way this thread means the term, or we'd be posting incurable cancers and other poo poo like that way more often.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Two sightseeing airplanes flying nearby had their wings shorn off,[6] forcing them out of the sky.

Is that 'forcing them out of the sky' as in "crashed and burned"? What a bizarre euphemism.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

nucleicmaxid posted:

There are also certain materials that, on bad days, I just can't even touch. For me it is specifically cardboard, and very dry cotton balls (it's weird as hell, I know) and it is super annoying. I can usually make myself do it if I have to, even on my worse days, but I have to go wash my hands like 4,000 times an hour to get past it. I agree with the other poster where I wouldn't exactly call it creepy, but it is highly annoying.

I'm not trying to be all armchair doctor and I have absolutely zero experience with Tourette's or OCD, but I'm with you on the cotton balls. Sometimes I get the same way when I touch paper after taking a shower or washing my hands. The soap pulls all the oils from your fingertips so it's super dry skin against super dry cotton/paper. Maybe try a little bit of lotion or moisturizer before you know you'll be handling cotton balls or cardboard. Don't know if it will do anything for you, but it may help a bit.

Cyoktine
Jul 2, 2007

"The infected have taken the city, and my heart"
I have always been terrified of Coronal Mass Ejections and the resulting fallout that would happen to our electrical systems. Imagine if one day you woke up to bright auroras and all the electrical systems in the world failing at once.

Wikipedia posted:

From August 28, 1859, until September 2, numerous sunspots were observed on the Sun. Just before noon on September 1, the English amateur astronomers Richard Carrington and Richard Hodgson independently made the first observations of a solar flare. The flare caused a major coronal mass ejection (CME) to travel directly toward Earth, taking 17.6 hours. Such a journey normally takes three to four days. This second CME moved so quickly because the first one had cleared the way of the ambient solar wind plasma.

On August 29, 1859, southern aurorae were observed as far north as Queensland in Australia.

On September 1–2, 1859, the largest recorded geomagnetic storm occurred. Aurorae were seen around the world, those in the northern hemisphere even as far south as the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountains were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning. People who happened to be awake in the northeastern US could read a newspaper by the aurora's light. The aurora was visible as far from the poles as Cuba and Hawaii.

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks. Telegraph pylons threw sparks. Some telegraph systems continued to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.

On Saturday, September 3, 1859, the Baltimore American and Commercial Advertiser reported, "Those who happened to be out late on Thursday night had an opportunity of witnessing another magnificent display of the auroral lights. The phenomenon was very similar to the display on Sunday night, though at times the light was, if possible, more brilliant, and the prismatic hues more varied and gorgeous. The light appeared to cover the whole firmament, apparently like a luminous cloud, through which the stars of the larger magnitude indistinctly shone. The light was greater than that of the moon at its full, but had an indescribable softness and delicacy that seemed to envelop everything upon which it rested. Between 12 and 1 o'clock, when the display was at its full brilliancy, the quiet streets of the city resting under this strange light, presented a beautiful as well as singular appearance."

In June 2013, a joint venture from researchers at Lloyd's of London and Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) in the United States used data from the Carrington Event to estimate the current cost of a similar event to the US at $0.6-2.6 trillion.

Solar Storm of 1859

Cyoktine has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Aug 7, 2014

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

nucleicmaxid posted:

OCD isn't the only egodystonic mental disorder, there are quite a few. Depression could be considered egodystonic after cognitive behavior therapy, a common statement by depressed individuals seeking therapy is 'I know it's stupid that I'm this depressed, but I just can't break out of it'. Tourette's Syndrome is just as egodystonic as OCD, and there are quite a few other mental issues that, once you get them pointed out, are completely understood to be unhelpful or bad even in the grips of it.

To clarify, I wasn't saying it's the only egodystonic disorder. Schizophrenia can be egodystonic after someone points out that wall doesn't really have teeth.
However, it is one of the few that actually has egodystonia as a diagnostic criteria. Depression can be diagnosed with or without egodystonia, OCD can't.

e. spelling and poo poo

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1931_China_floods

This is considered to be one of the worst natural disasters. As many as 4 million people died from drowning and disease.

quote:

The Yangtze and Huai River floods soon reached Nanjing, the capital of China at the time. The city, located on an island in a massive flood zone, suffered catastrophic damage. Millions died of drowning or from waterborne diseases such as cholera and typhus. Wives and daughters were sold by desperate residents, and cases of infanticide and even cannibalism were reported in stark details to the government. Some of the areas affected included Hubei, Hunan, Jiangxi, Wuhan, and Chongqing. The high-water mark was reached on 19 August at Hankou, Wuhan, with the water level exceeding 53 ft (16 m) above normal. Comparatively, this is an average of 5.6 ft (1.7 m) above the Shanghai Bund. On the evening of 25 August 1931, the water rushing through the Grand Canal washed away dikes near Gaoyou Lake. Some 200,000 people drowned in their sleep in the resulting deluge.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Speaking of dams... ISIS is in control of the Mosul Dam in Iraq and if they blow it up, Baghdad gets 15 feet of water. Half a million dead. The dam isn't even in the best shape to begin with, but being occupied by fanatics who don't give a... drat doesn't help.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Floyd Collins

quote:

The Collins family owned Crystal Cave, a tourist cave in the same general area as the Mammoth Caves. Although beautiful, Crystal Cave attracted a disappointingly low number of tourists because of its remote location. Collins hoped to find another entrance to the Mammoth Caves or possibly a new cave along the road to the Mammoth Caves and to draw some of the visitors to them. He made an agreement with three farmers who owned land closer to the main highway. If he found a cave with commercial potential on their land, the owners would pay to develop the cave, and Collins would share in the profits from operating it as a tourist attraction. Working alone over three weeks, he explored and expanded a hole that would later be named "Sand Cave" by news media.

On January 30, 1925, after several hours of work, Collins managed to squeeze through several narrow passageways; he claimed he had discovered a large chamber, though this was never verified. Because his lamp was dying, he had to leave quickly before exploring the chamber. He became trapped in a small passage on his way out. He accidentally knocked over his lamp, putting out the light, and in the dark he dislodged a rock from the ceiling, pinning his left leg. The rock weighed only 16 pounds (7.2 kg), but it was wedged in where neither he nor rescuers could reach it.

Collins was trapped just 150 feet (50 m) from the entrance. After being found the next day by friends, crackers were taken to him, and an electric light was run down the passage to provide him light and some warmth. Collins survived for over a week while rescue efforts were made. On February 4, the cave passage used to reach Collins collapsed in two places. Rescue leaders, chief among them being Henry St. George Tucker Carmichael, believing the cave impassable and too dangerous, began to dig a shaft to reach the chamber behind Collins. The 55-foot (18 m) shaft and subsequent lateral tunnel intersected the cave just above Collins, but when he was finally reached on February 17, he was already dead from exposure and hunger. As they did not reach him from the rear, the rescuers could not free his leg. The rescuers left his body where it lay and filled the shaft with debris. A doctor estimated he had died three or four days before he was reached, February 13 being the most likely.

quote:

Shortly after the media arrived, the publicity drew crowds of tourists to the site, at one point numbering in the tens of thousands. Vendors set up stalls to sell food and souvenirs, creating to a circus-like atmosphere.

Trapped underground is one of my big fears, but to be that close to the surface with thousands of people coming by to gawk is something else. Also has a good bit in the wiki article about the owners after the Collins Family digging up Floyd's body and putting it up for display in a glass-topped coffin.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DryGoods posted:

Floyd Collins

Trapped underground is one of my big fears, but to be that close to the surface with thousands of people coming by to gawk is something else. Also has a good bit in the wiki article about the owners after the Collins Family digging up Floyd's body and putting it up for display in a glass-topped coffin.

Well at least he got the tourists there. Alls well that ends well!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Wait if his friends could reach him to give him crackers and set up lights, how did he die of starvation and exposure? Did no one think to ask his friends to drop in a Twinkie or something?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Wait if his friends could reach him to give him crackers and set up lights, how did he die of starvation and exposure? Did no one think to ask his friends to drop in a Twinkie or something?
Read the article, it said part of the tunnel collapsed. They weren't able to reach him at all for almost 2 weeks.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Read the article, it said part of the tunnel collapsed. They weren't able to reach him at all for almost 2 weeks.

Oh duh, yeah my bad.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Dr Scoofles posted:

The whole sex doll thing creeps me the gently caress out. Even though they are lumps of plastic I find the glassy eyes and limp bodies to be utterly horrifying, they look like corpses slumped in wheelchairs. Even more horrifying are the sorts of people who are super into the doll loving community and the way they refer to women as 'human females'. I may be remembering wrong, but when the doll fucker thread was around people posted stories of folks who worked in doll repair shops and how they would receive dolls who were riddled with knife wounds or had their vaginas slashed up and poo poo. :gonk:
I uh... That's some horrifying poo poo. Is this the part where we say the poo poo that anime pedophiles trot out every time their creepy habits are questioned; that "at least they're not doing it to real women/kids"? Christ.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Not wikipedia but there are volcanoes in Australia!

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/volcano-eruption-overdue-20090921-fwxm.html

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

DryGoods posted:

Floyd Collins

Here's Floyd. I don't know if he's trapped here or not. But it's creepy to think that this might be the last photo of him alive.

And here's Floyd's body on display in Crystal Cave.

"Floyd Collin’s body was recovered and placed in his family’s Crystal Cave. Floyd CollinsIt was presented in a glass coffin, but the normal paid tour did not pass by his glass coffin.Rumor has it that if you passed the tour guide a good gratuity, then a view of Floyd was allowed. Floyd’s body rested securely until one night a group of vandals entered Crystal Cave and stole his body. The robbers were never identified, but the body was found wrapped up in a gunny sack near the Green River. A lot of mention is given to the fact that it was missing a leg, as though the robbers took the leg off the corpse.Other accounts state that his Father authorized the amputation of Floyd’s leg in order that his body could be removed from his entrapment in the first place."

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

rayne503 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1931_China_floods

This is considered to be one of the worst natural disasters. As many as 4 million people died from drowning and disease.

This actually is kind of personal for me. My dad's family comes from Hunan and during the floods, my great-grandma and her family had to climb onto the roof to get away from the water.

While they were there, they considered pushing her off the roof in order for the others to have a better chance for survival and she was just a girl anyways. Obviously they didn't and she lived on to be 96 and died surrounded by her nine children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

What's unnerving to me is that sometimes I'll think about how if she had been pushed in the water, 100+ people wouldn't even exist today.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

DryGoods posted:

Trapped underground is one of my big fears,

Don't read this then: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdale-caving-disaster-794268.html The Mossdale Cavern disaster:

quote:

On 24 June 1967, in the world's worst caving tragedy, six tough young men perished by drowning in the tortuous extremities of Yorkshire's Mossdale Caverns. Classed as Super Severe, the cave was notorious as being Britain's most testing – its far reaches then as now seen by fewer people than have walked on the Moon.

quote:

Rain was falling steadily; the dam still unstable. Reaching the corpses took five hours crawling – their retrieval seemed impossible. The coroner, Steven Brown, conferred with the parents, police and rescue leaders. Obtaining Home Office sanction for an inquest without bodies, he ordered the cave to be permanently sealed and be respected as a grave.

Seriously, just read it. It's a good and rather moving article.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

Lastly most unnearving and scary this the DSV Alvin is still in service after all these years and several refits. Scary awesome. Keep exploring the deep, little buddy. See what you can see. :unsmith:

My mom got to go and see the Alvin recently which was pretty cool. She brought back a styrofoam cup that had started out at 7" high. They put them on the Alvin and after coming back from deapth, the cups are shrunk down to little perfect 2" versions of the original cup. Pressure is cool when it's not exploding your brains.

edit for content:
I felt like I already posted this link but apparently I didn't.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/rais/index_1.html

I could have linked to the Wikipedia article but I liked the way crime library broke it down better. I really like the idea of historical serial killers because you can't ever really be sure if they did what history said they did. Gilles de Rais was a French nobleman and soldier who spent time fighting alongside Joan of Arc as her main general and advisor. The two of them helped put Charles II on France's throne. Joan was by all accounts an all around general badass but Gilles was later accused of some unsavory activity. He seemed to be on good behavior when he was hacking through dudes on behalf of Joan of Arc and Charles II but after the fighting he got up to some shenanigans and got away with it as one of the richest men in France. Namely he kidnapped, sexually molested, and killed young boys followed by disemboweling them and loving their entrails.

He admitted to this in court and had people testify that he did these things as well but was he actually an early sexual serial killer or was this some political plot? It's an interesting read and makes you think.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
The most unnerving thing about the Titanic to me is that, nearly a century later, we didn't learn our lesson and the Costa Concordia was destroyed by the same drat thing: both ships had her hulls sliced open by an immovable object, resulting in massive flooding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_concordia#2012_grounding_and_partial_sinking

From what I've read, a double hull would have helped slowed, if not stopped, a fatal amount of flooding on the Costa Concordia, but cruise ships generally don't utilize them in favor of more possible cargo weight. I'm probably wrong on that, though, I'm not a shipbuilding expert.

The idea that a sheet of steel is the only thing keeping water out on even modern ships, and that they are still incredibly susceptible to being torn open despite the fact that we have 100 years of advancements in shipbuilding, is unsettling to me.