Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that I just didn't like the entire concept of ME3, not just the ending. I wasn't expecting the game to be so bleak.

I was fine with the grim tones. I like happy endings and I like ones where you scrape by. It just matters how it's presented. Even ones where you lose if you can work that into things well and transfer to a new character doing other things.

Of course, bleak for bleak's sake is kinda dumb. Running through a game where you are hero mcMasteroftheGalaxy and after you beat the big boss the ending just says 'nope, nothing you did counted, the story is over and it was a waste' seems like a kid's way of writing. It's tonally inconsistent and mashed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Drifter posted:

Of course, bleak for bleak's sake is kinda dumb. Running through a game where you are hero mcMasteroftheGalaxy and after you beat the big boss the ending just says 'nope, nothing you did counted, the story is over and it was a waste' seems like a kid's way of writing. It's tonally inconsistent and mashed together.

This is what I meant by the tonal shift, not that it was dark in and of itself. It is definitely as you described, like some teenager thinking that writing it this way makes his story 'serious' and makes his writing look 'smart'.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 8, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Nothing you did counted" isn't a very good read of it either tbh

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

SgtSteel91 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that I just didn't like the entire concept of ME3, not just the ending. I wasn't expecting the game to be so bleak.

Maybe this is why I like ME3 so much, including the ending (EC only). I had been prepared for dark since Saren shot himself. Then ME2 just breaking more things with Shep's death and the Virmire survivor breakup. Starting 3 with the widespread chaos on Earth was a good start. Would I have liked a possible super fun fix everything ending? Probably. But the ending is just Coda to your actual fight. I appreciated there was a choice that was that allowed me to reflect the way I had played the game. I spent a long time seriously considering both Synthesis and Destroy because I wanted the action to be in line with how I had played Shep through three games. It wasn't the hardest decision in the series, but I don't think it should.

The Walking Dead presents an even more linear setup where nothing you do matters for the *plot*, it matters for your experience of the game.

Chexoid posted:

Welcome new executive producer, David Gaider.

Jennifer Hepler.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I didn't want a 'sunshine and rainbows' happy ending for ME3, I wanted a bittersweet 'we lost a lot of people but we won and we can rebuild'. By and large, we got that with the EC. It just was the fact they tried to take a big risk with the ending, but didn't have the resources, writing skills, or time to pull it off. So we got a clusterfuck.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I didn't want a 'sunshine and rainbows' happy ending for ME3, I wanted a bittersweet 'we lost a lot of people but we won and we can rebuild'. By and large, we got that with the EC. It just was the fact they tried to take a big risk with the ending, but didn't have the resources, writing skills, or time to pull it off. So we got a clusterfuck.

I think the people of Israel and Palestine could learn a lot from your even-keeled attitude.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Palestine vs Israel is the synthetics vs organics of our generation.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

I think the people of Israel and Palestine could learn a lot from your even-keeled attitude.

I honestly have no idea if this is genuine or sarcastic, so I have to assume sarcastic: I don't think a fictional war should be held up to the same standards of real wars, obviously all real wars are bad.

If genuine sorry, I had a long day and can't discover deeper meaning.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

"Nothing you did counted" isn't a very good read of it either tbh

What's your take of it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

I honestly have no idea if this is genuine or sarcastic, so I have to assume sarcastic: I don't think a fictional war should be held up to the same standards of real wars, obviously all real wars are bad.

If genuine sorry, I had a long day and can't discover deeper meaning.

It was a compliment.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Well, I thank everyone for beta testing the clusterfuck because I quite enjoyed the game I got. It included a giant party and breakfast with my man right in the middle. :)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
You know as bad as ME3's ending was, I still say Assassin's Creed 3 had a worse ending.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SgtSteel91 posted:

What's your take of it?

You blew up (or otherwise neutralized) the Reapers? Which was kind of the thing that was the end goal of the series from about the middle of the first game? I mean, bad poo poo happens along the way, but that's par for the course in ME3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like, seriously, all the fantasy endings where things return to the status quo are a much better fit for "nothing you did counted". why the hell bother with a massive three-game war if things should just go back to the way they were in the beginning. c'mon son.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

You know as bad as ME3's ending was, I still say Assassin's Creed 3 had a worse ending.

I'm at least with you there. ME3 had the decency to have an ending.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Drifter posted:

Do we know he got kicked out? Or is this just general leaving the company slang?

A page back but yeah, I should've put some :turianass: in kicked out. I think he simply left (he's been in the studio for 16 years, after all), and was supposedly heading the new project they're going to unveil at Gamescom - Shadow Realms, I think it's called -, so it highly unlikely that it was a corporate mandate.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dapper Dan posted:

This is what I meant by the tonal shift, not that it was dark in and of itself. It is definitely as you described, like some teenager thinking that writing it this way makes his story 'serious' and makes his writing look 'smart'.

That's why I chuckle to myself whenever I see somebody claiming that people just didn't understand ME3's ending or other things like it because it was just "too deep" or "too sad" for them. It's like defending somebody giving you a half-eaten birthday cake for being symbolic of your mortality. Just smug condescension from somebody completely snowed by vague nonsense and sappy music instead of critical analysis.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Geostomp posted:

That's why I chuckle to myself whenever I see somebody claiming that people just didn't understand ME3's ending or other things like it because it was just "too deep" or "too sad" for them. It's like defending somebody giving you a half-eaten birthday cake for being symbolic of your mortality. Just smug condescension from somebody completely snowed by vague nonsense and sappy music instead of critical analysis.

Though it's also pretty telling how a massive chunk of the irate, 'we will hold the line forever; bring the cupcakes!' crowd shut up when it was made less sad.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

It was a compliment.

Thank you, then, after a long day of work where I got a bunch of projects dumped on me, I didn't have the cognitive sense to realize that it was a compliment.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You're welcome.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Plom Bar posted:

it was pretty limp-dicked, but not a terrible series ending let-down, comparatively

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Good luck to Casey Hudson in his future endeavors.

Waltzing Along posted:

The thing about the EC that isn't said enough is it is a piece of poo poo. It's actually insulting that Bioware thought it would be enough. Sure it sort of kinda fixed a couple things sorta. But rather than doing a Mea Culpa and actually fixing the ending, they just added more stupid crap on top of a stupid ending.

They had a couple of months and it was coming out for free, they could hardly rewrite the entire last two hours of the game. Polishing and expanding on what's there is really the best that could ever have been expected. The extended cut isn't perfect but I like it well enough and think they deserved props for doing it at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Plom Bar posted:

Which one had you fist fight the pope?

That was a great ending.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The fistfight with the fat old dude is still the hardest fight in the game, huh.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You know, I didn't really like the ending that much, but I never really let it bother me. I have never understood hating a whole story for a disappointing last page.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 8, 2014

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

remusclaw posted:

You know, I didn't really like the ending that much, but I never really let it bother me. I have never understood hating a whole story for a disappointing last page.

eh, it's the result of anticipating a huge dopamine high that never ends up happening. nerds will get a bit chirpy in that case.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

remusclaw posted:

Because even if you can just ignore the ending, even if you can do that while also being really invested in the story/characters, it's just...disappointing. The series has a lot of build up and you don't even get a nice final boss fight or something to give you a rush, it just whimpers out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

remusclaw posted:

Didn't ruin the series for me, but it really kinda felt like they abandoned it with that low effort ending and strange plotty business throughout.

It just becomes another 'man, what a shame' type of thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aristobulus posted:

Because even if you can just ignore the ending, even if you can do that while also being really invested in the story/characters, it's just...disappointing. The series has a lot of build up and you don't even get a nice final boss fight or something to give you a rush, it just whimpers out.

The lack of a final boss fight is one of the better things about the game.

Especially considering how bad previous final bosses and set piece fights were.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

sassassin posted:

The lack of a final boss fight is one of the better things about the game.

Especially considering how bad previous final bosses and set piece fights were.

Pretty much.

It makes sense to have the ultimate conclusion of the trilogy play out with the player primarily using the gameplay mechanic that defined the series, and it's easily one of the few right decisions Bioware made when coming up with the ending.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CPFortest posted:

Pretty much.

It makes sense to have the ultimate conclusion of the trilogy play out with the player primarily using the gameplay mechanic that defined the series
Do you mean third person shooting or the dialogue wheel, because neither of those got used.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
At some point during development one of the ideas for the final boss was a reaperized Illusive Man.. I'm glad that got scrapped.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 8, 2014

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Do you mean third person shooting or the dialogue wheel, because neither of those got used.

I was referring to the specific sequence where you use the dialogue wheel to respond to Illusive Man's final rant and your final dialogue choices determining how exactly Anderson and Illusive Man die.

The Illusive Man confrontation sequence is ME3's final boss fight.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CPFortest posted:

I was referring to the specific sequence where you use the dialogue wheel to respond to Illusive Man's final rant and your final dialogue choices determining how exactly Anderson and Illusive Man die.

The Illusive Man confrontation sequence is ME3's final boss fight.

Not giving in to the frustration of all the stupid bullshit they throw at you in the last five minutes and shooting the star child is ME3's final boss fight.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Lemming posted:

Not giving in to the frustration of all the stupid bullshit they throw at you in the last five minutes and shooting the star child is ME3's final boss fight.

Nah, everything with the Catalyst and afterwards is denouement poo poo, a bastardized version of the main character meeting God (after the conflict is resolved) scene.

Your options regarding the Catalyst are limited because the climax has already happened, Shepard and Illusive Man's battle for control of the Crucible has been resolved, and there's nothing further you can do in the story except learn the final secrets of the Reapers, and then activate the Crucible with the three possible variations.

But, my being able to explain why Bioware wrote the scene as they did doesn't make the actual scene and everything that resulted any less stupid, just that there's a specific narrative structural reason for the Catalyst scene playing out the way it did.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Wasn't the Illusive man originally supposed to turn into a reaper monster and used as a bossfight? As bad as the ME3 ending was, it could've been a lot worse.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mymla posted:

Wasn't the Illusive man originally supposed to turn into a reaper monster and used as a bossfight? As bad as the ME3 ending was, it could've been a lot worse.
Yeah that got floated at one point.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Stephen King has made a successful career out of disappointing last pages. He takes pride in it. He took time to lecture us on it before his own magnum opus whimpered and crashed after the worst final boss fight in the history of books. (But shhhh, I liked that ending too).

Mostly I agree with you. My only exception is Dexter, whose finale traveled back through time and ruined every single moment of that series.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I thought the ending was great, but maybe that's because I'd been reading a lot of Arthur C. Clarke books at the time and his stories almost always end in thematically similar ways. I get that most people probably wanted Star Wars and not Childhood's End, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pwnyXpress posted:

I thought the ending was great, but maybe that's because I'd been reading a lot of Arthur C. Clarke books at the time and his stories almost always end in thematically similar ways. I get that most people probably wanted Star Wars and not Childhood's End, though.

Okay, but now look at it critically instead of through Clarke blinders and you see that it's just overall underdeveloped.

A Universal intelligence could have been an interesting idea were it handled well.

• Locked thread