Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

Factor 5 made Lair and Lucasarts went supernova.
That's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I saw like 100 new posts. Expected WiiU news. Got three pages of mostly grown adults arguing about cartoon princesses.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I saw like 100 new posts. Expected WiiU news. Got three pages of mostly grown adults arguing about cartoon princesses.

If you don't like arguing about cartoon princesses, the XBone thread is THAT WAY :mad:

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I got me a Wii U. Super Mario 3D World is super-duper, after about a week and a half I got all the stars and gold flagpoles, I might go back and play the harder levels again with the other characters but I don't think I have it in me to finish every stage with every character just to 100% it.

I cracked open the NSMBU plus Luigi disc that came with it and I'm much less enthused about that game. Just feels like more of the same to me. I'm halfway through it, though, maybe I'll keep going.

I really wish I had got Mario Kart before that free game promotion ended, though. I don't know why I didn't.

I Like the system, though, and now I have no excuse to not play Earthbound, so I'll finally play it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

PirateNipple posted:

I got me a Wii U. Super Mario 3D World is super-duper, after about a week and a half I got all the stars and gold flagpoles, I might go back and play the harder levels again with the other characters but I don't think I have it in me to finish every stage with every character just to 100% it.

I cracked open the NSMBU plus Luigi disc that came with it and I'm much less enthused about that game. Just feels like more of the same to me. I'm halfway through it, though, maybe I'll keep going.

I really wish I had got Mario Kart before that free game promotion ended, though. I don't know why I didn't.

I Like the system, though, and now I have no excuse to not play Earthbound, so I'll finally play it.

For what it's worth, you can still buy codes from the promotion on the SA Mart.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

PirateNipple posted:

I thought Luigi U was better than NSMBU, every course was short and hard and some of them really made you think or had you build skill to get through, kind of like a lighter version of Super Meat Boy. Give it a shot.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The challenges and boost mode junk in NSMBU is where the game really shines, I think. The regular levels are OK, but the bonus stuff is actually pretty great.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Stan Taylor posted:

The challenges and boost mode junk in NSMBU is where the game really shines, I think. T

Came here to say the same thing. I played NSMBU to completion before even looking at this stuff, and if I had to do it again, I'd just play the challenges.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don;t think anyone will warm up to the NSMB series in general if they don't like it to start with. It's not like 3DW where things get visibly awesome and trick you into doing cool poo poo. It's just a simple platformer with updated graphics.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

NSMB is just kinda bland overall. It's the :effort: version of Mario.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

I don;t think anyone will warm up to the NSMB series in general if they don't like it to start with. It's not like 3DW where things get visibly awesome and trick you into doing cool poo poo. It's just a simple platformer with updated graphics.

I don't know, I thought NSMB 2 was complete garbage, but I enjoyed NSMBU quite a bit. It helps that it looks really nice in HD, I suppose, but the levels are way more creative than NSMB levels usually are. The music is still awful, but consider giving it a go anyway, it might surprise you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think one can warm up pretty nicely to NSMB if they only play the Wii and Wii U versions, a simple platformer with some few cool levels among all the classic-looking Mario levels.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
And play with friends you dolts, the series is pretty average unless you're able to call your good friends/spouse/children mother fuckers.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I love the NSMB series, it's an updated version of the old mario games I played and loved as a kid but with simultaneous 2-player mode.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kly posted:

I love the NSMB series, it's an updated version of the old mario games I played and loved as a kid but with simultaneous 2-player mode.

I enjoy playing those games in multiplayer. 4-player mode can get hilariously chaotic.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I am maybe half way through it, and far I've really been enjoying nsmbu. That series never really felt like full games to me as it they don't really hold my attention very long, and I find myself constantly criticising its level design against smw... but I just have a great time playing it when I do. Boss battles have been rather dissapointing though. Also I have way too many lives stockpiled... and I'm not even good at it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can Laura remain the voice actor then.

I hated Rosalina for awhile but I realized it was because I really didn't like her voice. It was like they were trying to take a page out of Other M's voice acting but crammed it in a Mario game so all you have are these dull "wa...hoo..."'s

Mario Kart 8 actually makes it sound like she's having fun and not a piece of cardboard.

Her original voice was really good, not sure why they changed it at all, I'm with you that she sounded terrible in 7.

And goddammit I really need 3D world, I didn't like NSMB that much but I expected that, but the more people keep talking/hype up 3D world the more I want it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Her original voice was really good, not sure why they changed it at all, I'm with you that she sounded terrible in 7.

And goddammit I really need 3D world, I didn't like NSMB that much but I expected that, but the more people keep talking/hype up 3D world the more I want it.

How do you own a Wii U and not have 3D World. As far as I'm concerned it is by far the best game on the system.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I think I'm the only person who really liked NSMBU. It's the first game that I actually wanted to play to 100% completion in probably a decade.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fremry posted:

I think I'm the only person who really liked NSMBU. It's the first game that I actually wanted to play to 100% completion in probably a decade.

I liked it a lot on my second playthough. My first playthrough I was a bit underwhelmed since I was a sucker that bought it with a Wii U at launch.

Where's OUR ambassador program, Nintendo!?:argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fremry posted:

I liked it, but with four game in the NSMBU in as many years, I'm burned out on the series. It was the best entry in the series yet, but at this point it really needs to rest a while.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Finally picked up a WiiU today, got the NSMBU and LuigiU bundle. Do you not get Club Nintendo coins for the games as part of the bundle? Also, does ZombiU not get Club Nintendo coins? I'm only used to doing it on my 3DS where literally everything I have bought has gotten me coins.

Really loving the system so far though, everything looks super sharp and I've been having a lot of fun trying the minigames in nintendo land and messing around on miiverse.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, just look at the VC offerings, can't decide if I want Cybernator, Final Fight 3 or Super CV4. :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Oh man, just look at the VC offerings, can't decide if I want Cybernator, Final Fight 3 or Super CV4. :negative:

The answer is "yes."

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

I'm still kinda holding out that Capcom does another Classics collection with the three final fights included. Final Fight 3 is the strongest in the series, but it needs more than just a digital re-release. The Original Arcade Final Fight version had some major work go into it for the Capcom Classics release and it was the first time that the arcade version got a proper home port. FF3 had no arcade counterpart but it was released late in the SNES's life that 4 players at once could have been possible.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 8, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alteisen posted:

I don't know if you've played Castlevania 4 recently but it hasn't aged well. It's really easy for a Castlevania game, and even though I love the graphics and the soundtrack the gameplay feels really dull.

You would be much better served by playing through Rondo of Blood again, or maybe just Castlevania 3.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Club nintendo is now distinguishing between Wii / Wii U?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nolgthorn posted:

Club nintendo is now distinguishing between Wii / Wii U?

They have been for awhile. I'm wondering why Vegas Stakes isn't offered for Wii U since it's on the Wii U eShop.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

I don't know if you've played Castlevania 4 recently but it hasn't aged well. It's really easy for a Castlevania game, and even though I love the graphics and the soundtrack the gameplay feels really dull.

You would be much better served by playing through Rondo of Blood again, or maybe just Castlevania 3.

I have to disagree. Castlevania IV is easier but that's mainly due to removing a lot of the bad design elements of Castlevania 1 and 3 (we won't talk about 2) that made them harder to play. That makes it a better playing experience than the rest of the non-Metroidvania CV games. Rondo of Blood shares a lot of the improvements, too, though I prefer the entire experience of CV4 over it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
CV4 is definitely a little too easy but it becomes a lot more fun when you hit the second loop (or just use the password).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

They have been for awhile. I'm wondering why Vegas Stakes isn't offered for Wii U since it's on the Wii U eShop.

No they haven't. Last week when I got SMB2, they still had Star Fox and Vegas labeled "Wii/Wii U". It's good to see them label it Wii straight out instead of adding the Wii U to it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

No they haven't. Last week when I got SMB2, they still had Star Fox and Vegas labeled "Wii/Wii U". It's good to see them label it Wii straight out instead of adding the Wii U to it.

Well, Wii/Wii U is still a lot nicer to the consumer than implying that its all straight through the Wii U interface.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

Well, Wii/Wii U is still a lot nicer to the consumer than implying that its all straight through the Wii U interface.

It was super confusing especially when you saw "Wii U" and your thought is "Oh, this will work with my Wii U", only to find out that not only do you have to use the Wii, but you need a Wiimote (that does not come with the Wii U), and a Wii classic controller that isn't manufactured anymore to play your "Wii U" game. When you have to buy 2 additional peripherals for last generation's system, one of which isn't even made anymore, I think they owe it to their customers to be open and stipulate that it is not a Wii U game by any means.

Edit: When you label something as "Wii U", a normal consumer would assume that that means a Wii U is the only thing needed to play it. This is not the case with Wii VC games, so it was dishonest at best to label it a a Wii U game.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 8, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

It was super confusing especially when you saw "Wii U" and your thought is "Oh, this will work with my Wii U", only to find out that not only do you have to use the Wii, but you need a Wiimote (that does not come with the Wii U), and a Wii classic controller that isn't manufactured anymore to play your "Wii U" game. When you have to buy 2 additional peripherals for last generation's system, one of which isn't even made anymore, I think they owe it to their customers to be open and stipulate that it is not a Wii U game by any means.

It is a game that can be played on the Wii U. I mean, I get where you're coming from, but its not technically wrong.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'll be honest, I think it's kind of dumb to give out rewards that only work in Wii Mode at this point. Not for the reason Fremry mentioned, but... why isn't it four Wii U rewards? Why is it always Virtual Console and not, like, Trine 2? Aren't there enough games in the eShop at this point that you could work out something with an indie developer to make one of their games a Club Nintendo reward? How long does Nintendo plan on supporting Original Wii Shop anyway?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fremry posted:

Ahahaha I need a wii mote for star fox too? Sorry nintendo not coughing up $50 to play some nostalgia

E: on second I need one regardless for the classic controller, unless there's a standlone. drat it nintendo

bef fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 8, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

It is a game that can be played on the Wii U. I mean, I get where you're coming from, but its not technically wrong.

Right, which is why it was legally sound. But being legally right and doing what's best for your consumer are two completely different things. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they made the change was to save money on the time that confused and irate customers tied up their customer service reps.

Edit:

bef posted:

Ahahaha I need a wii mote for star fox too? Sorry nintendo not coughing up $50 to play some nostalgia

You need a Wiimote AND a Wii Classic controller. You're looking at $70-100 to play Star Fox if you don't already have the hardware.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 8, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Fremry posted:

Edit: When you label something as "Wii U", a normal consumer would assume that that means a Wii U is the only thing needed to play it. This is not the case with Wii VC games, so it was dishonest at best to label it a a Wii U game.

Wouldn't that mean it's also dishonest to label N64 games as Wii games?

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I get not having a Classic Controller, but it still always surprises me that there are Wii U owners out there that don't own a Wiimote.

Nintendo really should have just bundled one with the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gandalf21 posted:

I get not having a Classic Controller, but it still always surprises me that there are Wii U owners out there that don't own a Wiimote.

Nintendo really should have just bundled one with the system.

I bought a pro controller from that best buy deal so I shouldn't have a reason to get a Wiimote

I didn't own a wii last gen so I don't see the point of getting one until now

• Locked thread