Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It is pretty funny that technically Trunks was the one who caused Cell to come to this world.

Nice work.

And all because he wanted to come back and say he killed the droids in his future.

No wonder Vegeta disowned him. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Shindragon posted:

It is pretty funny that technically Trunks was the one who caused Cell to come to this world.

Nice work.

And all because he wanted to come back and say he killed the droids in his future.

No wonder Vegeta disowned him. :v:

To be fair the time machine would still exist even if he wanted to go back or not. The question is why was the pre-set timer set to go a year before he arrived originally if he was going to go to tell them he won?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Went to the showing tonight, apparently last night's showing sold out at my local theater, and tonight's sold over 120 of its 205 seats.

The dub was awesome, movie better than I remembered it, AND it looks to have done pretty drat well for itself. DBZ fandom is alive and well in 2014, hot drat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Went to the showing tonight, apparently last night's showing sold out at my local theater, and tonight's sold over 120 of its 205 seats.

The dub was awesome, movie better than I remembered it, AND it looks to have done pretty drat well for itself. DBZ fandom is alive and well in 2014, hot drat.

I'd be interested to know how much of Dragon Ball's current western fandom is still kicking due to Team Four Star's efforts.

Though, I suppose, that would be an incredibly tricky thing to quantify.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 7, 2014

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd be interested to know how much of Dragon Ball's current western fandom is still kicking due to Team Four Star's efforts.

Though, I suppose, that would be an incredibly tricky thing to quantify.

Im more curious about how many of the audience are the actual kids it's made for, tbh.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Last Celebration posted:

Im more curious about how many of the audience are the actual kids it's made for, tbh.

I didn't think DBZ was aimed at kids? :raise:

If :thejoke: then im not sorry, not even abit.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Thyrork posted:

What? Of course it is. Why would you ever even think otherwise?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shonen Jump, yo. Ages 6 and up.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Thyrork posted:

It's for kids, but the kids that watched the non-Kai versions are grown now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

What? Of course it is. Why would you ever even think otherwise?

Because those dang dirty dubbers cut out all the swearing from the original! :qq:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The old fansubs that added "gently caress' every 5 words did definitely give a different idea of who the series was aimed for :)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think you're heavily overstating the popularity of Team Four Star.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Webbeh posted:

I think you're heavily overstating the popularity of Team Four Star.
I'unno, I think a couple million people watching their videos makes them big enough.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I was walking in the aircraft carrier I work on and heard the episode where the healing pod's bubbles tickling Goku being played. I was pretty surprised.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
99% of the twenty somethings at these showings are there because they watched dbz after school back in the day, not because they watch dbz abridged

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

99% of the twenty somethings at these showings are there because they watched dbz after school back in the day, not because they watch dbz abridged

Highly scientific, I'm sure.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
TFS is insanely popular for an Internet show, though I am pretty sure that's because of DBZ, not the other way round.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Terper posted:

I'unno, I think a couple million people watching their videos makes them big enough.

Couple million? http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-dragonball-z-kai-abridged-parody-episode-1/ picked a random video, 250ish comments 10k facebook likes I know not everybody does either but none of that leads me to think a couple million views. Abridged is funny and all but it is not in any way responsible for DBZs fanbase that is just crazy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Couple million? http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-dragonball-z-kai-abridged-parody-episode-1/ picked a random video, 250ish comments 10k facebook likes I know not everybody does either but none of that leads me to think a couple million views. Abridged is funny and all but it is not in any way responsible for DBZs fanbase that is just crazy.

The episodes on YT all have a couple million views, and get them pretty quickly.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

socialsecurity posted:

The site is less than 6 month old. Here, take a look at their youtube channel, the avarage viewcount for a normal episode is 2+ millpond.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's still hilarious to think Battle of Gods has been successful because of TFS and not, you know...it being Dragonball Z. If you weren't around during its initial run through of Frieza and the Androids...man, it's a huge fanbase that's waited around forever for more.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

DBZ has been making a crazy amount of money since day one and it's dumb to think that it's only popular become of abridged.

Dbz kai was nicklodeon's most popular show when it was running after all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Japan has very different ideas of what's appropriate for their children than we do. Some of the shoujo manga I've read wouldn't last two seconds over here before Moral Guardians started to burn them. Maybe it's sexist but seeing some rather mature content in stuff meant for young girls is even more shocking than seeing it in comics for young boys.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

dr.acula posted:

The question is why was the pre-set timer set to go a year before he arrived originally if he was going to go to tell them he won?

Perhaps while Vegeta and Goku were in space, he wanted to give the gang the "turn off Androids button" that he had used to defeat them. Piccolo, Krillen, Tien, and Yamcha aren't bloodthirsty Saiyans and would probably just fly over to the lab, kill Gero and the Androids and keep it a secret from Goku and Vegeta.

Or maybe he just wanted to fight Garlic Junior and the Spice Boys.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Shinjobi posted:

It's still hilarious to think Battle of Gods has been successful because of TFS and not, you know...it being Dragonball Z. If you weren't around during its initial run through of Frieza and the Androids...man, it's a huge fanbase that's waited around forever for more.

You mean "its initial run of half of the Ginyu force... and then Radditz", and yes. We waited around forever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Webbeh posted:

You mean "its initial run of half of the Ginyu force... and then Radditz", and yes. We waited around forever.

Yeah, but I feel like it really blew up once word got out that "hey everybody, they're continuing the series!" Felt like people were flying out of the woodwork around that time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Starsnostars posted:

The thing I never got with Trunks is that he gave the impression he was all business, no toying with people or letting them power up, but then he had a signature attack with the most elaborate hand movements in the series. It just seemed out of place.

The hand movements for the kamehameha are pretty elaborate, and in my head they always do it before launching the attack, it's just that the don't show it every time in the manga because it would be redundant, and anime producers don't know what the gently caress they are doing. Like how no one who worked on Naruto remembered than stringing together handsigns were a thing after a while.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wasn't the whole point of the Burning Attack to distract Frieza form Trunks' true goal: slice 'n dice? Hell, the shot even missed! Then yeah, he vaporized the remaining pieces with energy, but he was still all business in the end.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
He did the weird hand movements before shouting "HEY FRIEZA" at least.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, but I feel like it really blew up once word got out that "hey everybody, they're continuing the series!" Felt like people were flying out of the woodwork around that time.

This is right from what I remember - once those loving commercials hit Toonami with god drat Peter Cullen with that voice going "ALL NEW EPISODES OF DRAGONBALL Z" loving everyone in school was talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZjuOQveYzU

Those were the days. :allears:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

This is right from what I remember - once those loving commercials hit Toonami with god drat Peter Cullen with that voice going "ALL NEW EPISODES OF DRAGONBALL Z" loving everyone in school was talking about it.

I was in 7-8th grade I think, and everyone (the guys) was seriously hyped for it. It had been a couple of years since they had new episodes and all of sudden the new ones are weeks away? This was pre-internet so the only people who knew where the ones who went to the anime rental place 2 towns over and knew about that stuff, which was like 1/100 or less.

The only thing as big at that time was when Gundam Wing launched. That was the first crazy fast mecha fighting series the US got for mass consumption and it was like nothing most US kids had ever seen.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 8, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

I was as addicted to DBZ as anyone else my age at that time but in more recent times I wish I had watched Gundam Wing instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94

It would have eaten up considerably less of my time at least.

loving Namek. I tried t to re-watch the entire Goku vs. Freeza fight somewhat recently and I just couldn't do it. I guess I've gotten impatient in my old age.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

I was in 7-8th grade I think, and everyone (the guys) was seriously hyped for it. It had been a couple of years since they had new episodes and all of sudden the new ones are weeks away? This was pre-internet so the only people who knew where the ones who went to the anime rental place 2 towns over and knew about that stuff, which was like 1/100 or less.

The only thing as big at that time was when Gundam Wing launched. That was the first crazy fast mecha fighting series the US got for mass consumption and it was like nothing most US kids had ever seen.

The funny thing is that a good portion of the original toyline (The american release of the Super Battle Series toys) was in toy stores long before the series got those new episodes. I remember seeing Super Saiyan Goku on an insert that came with my Power Rangers toys in 1996 (Christmas '96 puts that as halfway through the original airing of season 1, for reference).

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

NikkolasKing posted:

I was as addicted to DBZ as anyone else my age at that time but in more recent times I wish I had watched Gundam Wing instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94

It would have eaten up considerably less of my time at least.

loving Namek. I tried t to re-watch the entire Goku vs. Freeza fight somewhat recently and I just couldn't do it. I guess I've gotten impatient in my old age.

You realize they aired literally one after the other right

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't know what you mean? That DBZ aired after Wing or vice versa? I never bothered wtih it if it did.

Jale
Nov 6, 2005

pentyne posted:

I remember seeing VHS tapes for the new episodes in Sam's Club months before it aired on CN and did a double take. I did another double take when I heard the new voices and Dende say "Don't piss off the God of Love!"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The old comic book store back then had most of the those crappy DBZ battle collection figures and they had layway which was awesome. I got them for Christmas that year. They were very lovely and horrible to actually try and play with though but they were so sought after a couple kids actually tried to break in my house and steal them!

I also remember the grocery store always had those bootleg magazines for DBZ and other tv shows. One I read spoiled Cell and the buu saga. I remember bringing it to school and everybody asking who these new creatures were. I remember bringing the tapes to class every friday in 5th grade for free day and we'd watch them and try to draw everybody. Drawing DBZ was really huge, EVERYBODY used to draw it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Only thing I knew about Dragonball Z as a kid was reading a Nintendo Power magazine and the article writer described how he used to watch it when on holiday in France and how awesome it was. Reading the article trying to describe everything made it read like something crazy out of a soap-opera. It was loving weird and not at all how the show was. It made it out to be like Vegeta's dad was a mystery and hoo boy, Trunks. It didn't bother differentiating between adult Trunks and young Trunks, so it was weird seeing pictures of Gohan and Goten and it noted that Goten and Trunks were friends... It was horribly confusing.

I didn't actually see DBZ until I had read the mangas, which started selling here and that basically kickstarted my manga obsession. A lot less waiting, but I still had to wait weeks upon weeks for new volumes to come out. Nobody else I knew had any interest in them or collected only a handful, so I never had any discussions about it. Though I don't think I really *got* DBZ until I saw Frankomatic let's play a bunch of the games way back in 2008 or so.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

- I randomly saw a couple of episodes of Spanish language Dragon Ball as a kid and related it to being similar to this game called Dragon Power I rented from the video store then (which it was, a hugely Americanized version of one of the first, if not the first, Dragon Ball games).

- Then, Gamefan or EGM or something kept posting pictures from Dragon Ball games in their sections talking about Japanese games, and I loved the art style of SSJ Goku, Vegeta, etc. (and possibly subconsciously related it to Dragon Warrior/Quest).

- Then one of my friends from school when I was in 10th grade brought it some Japanese, untranslated video copies of Movies 1-9 (?). I related it to the EGM magazines and loved it, even though I had no idea of what anyone was saying. Fortunately, I had SOME Japanese classes, so I was able to kind of parse the general idea of a few things.

- Then I tracked down fansubs of movie 10, then the series, on a random trip to New York and Comic Conventions.

- Then the internet started growing, and I started the worst Dragon Ball fanpage ever on geocities, and also used to visit irc #db and talk to a ton of people about the series, and then other stuff. And I got my hands on the manga, and read it through.

- Then Funimation picked up the first season of Dragon Ball, and then they skipped from that directly to DBZ and I bitched about all the voices and dialogue changes.

...and that was pretty much my exposure to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I watched it on YTV. I remember one time a buddy started talking about how cool it was DBZ was getting new episodes but when I watched it at his place he was several weeks behind and had different voices. He was watching the CN version and had no idea that YTV was ahead so I got to tease him with revelations that blew his mind.

• Locked thread