Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

axelsoar posted:

While I agree with the idea that restricting hardpoints would make some mechs/weapons more balanced, are you loving crazy with this example?

In fairness I picked that example not because it's unbalanced (I wouldn't complain about the Jager, which does the same thing better) but because it looks dumb as poo poo with those stupid bloop guns poking out of it, this is a different issue and yes I'm a nerd posting in a robot thread :(

AP posted:

The point I was, maybe badly, trying to make was that the hardpoints limit things enough and balance in closed beta was fairly good

It was. I guess my real issue would be that the ranks are getting filled up with legions of identi-kit mech chassis and that there should be something to distinguish them. The new perks actually amaze me in that respect, PGI actually did something right since open beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The whole boating/overpowering with the PPC's and Gauss rifles could be fixed if they just did the thing that the canon says, make the normal non-omnimechs much harder to alter since that's the whole point behind the omnipods, you can put a lot in those things but they are usually limited to what size of the weapons the omnipods can wield.

Of course, that would mean actually crippling the IS Mech's since they're supposed to be so old and inferior compared to the Clans so they would be overpowered as hell against non-clan users because :pgi:.

Although they could fix this if they limited the number of clan mechs that can be on the battlefield but they won't ever do that because as i said, :pgi:.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The funny thing is, in the fluff even Omni mechs are not intended to be easily customizable by your average Mechwarrior and his techs. Omnimechs are designed more for rapidly refitting different pre-set/pre-built arrangements of payload pods. Sure it only takes a few hours of work to remove one Configuration and install another, but if you want a true custom setup you have to custom fabricate a set of omni-pods, install poo poo in them and deal with programming all the avionics systems to recognize your new setup.

Typically the only people who warranted that were high-ranking/influential clanners. The rest just stuck to Prime/A/B/C/D configurations.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Clan tech is supposed to be balanced by the Clan honor restrictions, the fact that most Omni variants kinda suck, and most importantly a 3-2 or better ratios of IS to Clan units.

Literally none of those problems are fixed or accounted for in MWO.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
The fact that they keep having these clan vs IS matches at 12 v12 is what's really hilarious. I can't tell is they are really that stupid and honestly don't know if the clan stuff is better, or if they are just trying to give bonuses to their pay to win customers beside they think it's a good business decision.

Drifter25
Mar 19, 2007
Yup. Pretty much.
Isn't ghost heat applied to mlasers when you fire 4 ore more either together or in rapid succession? I think that's the number anyway. And heaven help you if you fire dual ac/20s together. Are there any active goon units in this game or did every say balls to this? A friend and I still play regularly though not near as much as I used to. I couldn't afford 250 dollars for digital clan mechs and certainly not 500 for digital gold paint. So when the clan mechs did arrive my IS mechs are having trouble taking down clanners (unless in my ddc atlas. Then I melt Dire Wolves). So if there is a goon unit I'd like to jump in on that. Tired of pugging it and getti.g rolled cause my team sucks balls.

Drifter25
Mar 19, 2007
Yup. Pretty much.

Raised by Hamsters posted:

The fact that they keep having these clan vs IS matches at 12 v12 is what's really hilarious. I can't tell is they are really that stupid and honestly don't know if the clan stuff is better, or if they are just trying to give bonuses to their pay to win customers beside they think it's a good business decision.

To be fair, in these matches both teams have both IS and Clan Mechs. It's usually pretty even unless one twam brings nothing but the almighty Timber Wolf.

Mjilaeck
Jun 10, 2012

Agreeing with Ice Fist: if you haven't played it before, MWO is probably worth downloading and running around in for a drunken weekend. Just don't get your hopes up.
If you HAVE played it, any amount of alcohol able to let you look past what the game could have been, is enough alcohol to kill you.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Drifter25 posted:

Isn't ghost heat applied to mlasers when you fire 4 ore more either together or in rapid succession? I think that's the number anyway. And heaven help you if you fire dual ac/20s together. Are there any active goon units in this game or did every say balls to this? A friend and I still play regularly though not near as much as I used to. I couldn't afford 250 dollars for digital clan mechs and certainly not 500 for digital gold paint. So when the clan mechs did arrive my IS mechs are having trouble taking down clanners (unless in my ddc atlas. Then I melt Dire Wolves). So if there is a goon unit I'd like to jump in on that. Tired of pugging it and getti.g rolled cause my team sucks balls.

Friends don't let friends play MWO.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Drifter25 posted:

1) it's 6 med Las.

2) there is no current goon group to the best of my knowledge. The word of Lowtax was the goon group, but it doesn't exist anymore, thanks to poo poo like ghost heat.

3) don't play mwo. It's only going to end in tears, no matter how positive you currently feel about it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I really miss piloting lights. The Jenner D and F was the poo poo.

Mjilaeck
Jun 10, 2012

Willfrey posted:

I really miss piloting lights. The Jenner D and F was the poo poo.

I miss tackling jenners in a lunchback.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I'm glad this thread is around, just because I really do want this ongoing chronicle of PGI's odd dysfunction as a company. Sometimes, they're just like a baffled puppy or a bee that doesn't know how to go through the bottom open half of a window to safety.

Also 'cause I miss WoL.

But seriously, there's two things I am always amazed to watch and chronicle.

The first is the aforementioned intransigent awesome dysfunction of PGI and its ultra amazing capacity to spoil any community goodwill by lying and stalling and tripping over themselves.

But the second! The clan invasion! I am amazed to watch the game community try to rationalize any sense of balance where there exists none. You can go through the official forums and read people say the most amazing poo poo to try to pretend that inner sphere isn't handily outclassed by the clan technology.

Usually it comes in the form of "Taking care of clan mechs is easy, you just <INSERT WILDLY UNIVERSAL PIECE OF STRATEGIC ADVICE APPLICABLE TO ANY MECH>. It is totally their weakness!"

Mjilaeck
Jun 10, 2012

Mjilaeck posted:

Agreeing with Ice Fist: if you haven't played it before, MWO is probably worth downloading and running around in for a drunken weekend. Just don't get your hopes up.
If you HAVE played it, any amount of alcohol able to let you look past what the game could have been, is enough alcohol to kill you.

Also, please don't interpret this to be a recommendation: DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON THIS GAME.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

While on the subject of this stupid game, they'd vastly improve the experience by lowering the numbers to 8 a side.

It won't happen but even shifting the spawns around would help, snipers get free shots on everyone on HPG MANIFOLD (the entrance), CRIMSON STRAIT (island spawn is the worst ever if slow), TOURMALINE DESERT (again one lance exposed for no reason). RIVER CITY (one of the lower city bases needs shifted but there's no really good place to put it).

They should also slap the guy responsible for TERRA THERMA and upload the video as a dev blog.

Lastly they should let people pick two maps they hate, cross reference that with the match maker and drop the two least favourite maps from that game. (TERRA THERMA & ALPINE PEAKS) Obviously remove ghost heat too.

Terra Therma has always been, and always will be, the best map.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
An organized 12v12 playing terra therma with heat vision on.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kavros posted:

Also 'cause I miss WoL.

WoL will always live on in our hearts. Who knows, maybe a good Battletech game will eventually be made and the pubbies will once again alt+f4 in terror of the squawking of the goons.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I kind of just assume that community warfare will eventually cause a rennaisance of WoL interest, because it suddenly gives WoL something to *do*, and simultaneously provides some benefit (i.e., territory taking and lunch nabbing) to having learned the ins and outs of the game beyond the conspicuous delusions of most of the playerbase.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
From what I remember from MW3, weren't IS mechs used in groups of 4, and clan mechs in groups of 5?

On that basis wouldn't 12 v 10 work perfectly for both balance and lore?

But no, they're going to do ghost clans or some poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No. 10 Clan mechs vs 12 IS mechs of equivalent weight classes is not really a fair fight.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Nickiepoo posted:

From what I remember from MW3, weren't IS mechs used in groups of 4, and clan mechs in groups of 5?

On that basis wouldn't 12 v 10 work perfectly for both balance and lore?

But no, they're going to do ghost clans or some poo poo.

I think there is some 10v12 tests scheduled for this month using private matches and being streamed via twitch. Hopefully, it will be a wonderful shitshow.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No. 10 Clan mechs vs 12 IS mechs of equivalent weight classes is not really a fair fight.

If we are talking early invasion, a balanced fight would be something like 4 clan mechs vs 12-15 IS mechs. Once the invasion dies down, things start to equalize rather quickly as the IS start copying clan tech.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

WebDO posted:

Friends don't let friends play MWO.

I used to love playing this game with friends/goons. Now you couldn't pay me to play it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Kavros posted:

But the second! The clan invasion! I am amazed to watch the game community try to rationalize any sense of balance where there exists none. You can go through the official forums and read people say the most amazing poo poo to try to pretend that inner sphere isn't handily outclassed by the clan technology.

Usually it comes in the form of "Taking care of clan mechs is easy, you just <INSERT WILDLY UNIVERSAL PIECE OF STRATEGIC ADVICE APPLICABLE TO ANY MECH>. It is totally their weakness!"

And the people that try and justify the Clans not being overpowered are usually people with some kind of I Bought A Clan Pack badge.

Raised by Hamsters posted:

They say that they are running these for 'balance data' but you can still buy Clan Packs for real money so you know what they are really doing is letting people get stomped as IS so more people will cave and buy Clans.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 8, 2014

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
This game was more fun than legally allowed (thank you Chivers) when I played it.

Devs hosed everyone.

You can't even log into the forums to battle white knights without being "RETAINED".

How is anyone that cares supposed to respond to shitheadedness when ANY feedback is considered positive?

gently caress you, reddit of games.

E: drunk. War Thunder is sweet, and Tank Boy/Girl Ken/Barbie's firefucker was a good build.

Edit2: just don't listen to the spergs in the War Thunder thread... bi-plane supremacy.

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 8, 2014

Drifter25
Mar 19, 2007
Yup. Pretty much.
Well I still haave fun in it. Dying. All the time. I agree the IS mechs are crap compared to Clans. But like I said. Both teams have a mix of both. Until things are balanced (which will never happen) that's the best balancing idea they can come up with. I'd love to play with goons but the game is too dead to get the numbers needed.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Holy poo poo they just cut the PPC speed by ~60% and in an attempt to make the Clan ERLL more balanced, either made it more heat efficient or completely broke it depending on whose math you believe.

The Clan Pack tears are wonderful.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 8, 2014

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Good. PPC should have never exceeded over 1,000 m/s considering how easy it was to fire/hit. Maybe increase the recycle duration too :colbert:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Vorenus posted:

they just cut the PPC speed by ~60%

You wont believe what happened next

fake edit: Totally believable.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
-OR- make PPC's the charge-to-fire weapons and give gauss a longer timer and save yourself 30000 words.

#fuckyoupaul

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
c-erll now triggers ghost heat if you fire more than ONE

genius pure genius

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

quote:

With the overwhelming feedback of the firing mechanic being far too complex, we have decided to give the projectile speed change a chance. We will be watching its performance as time goes on.

:colbert:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I am really hoping they double down on this by further nerfing something Clan. A Clan Pack equivalent of the Founders' refund/chargeback tidal wave would be loving hilarious and quite possibly the final nail in the coffin for this game.

If they seriously piss off the people who spent hundreds of $$$$ to wait six months for mechs in an otherwise contentless game there's really not a higher remaining tier of sperglord to cash in on.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
At least the PPC change is range and speed, things that are very visible in game. It is a way better change than what was on the block and sounds like it will de-sync Gauss. I mean, there are way better ways to handle this and it is a symptom of a much larger problem, but consider that it's :pgi: this could have been way worse.

Watch them point to it every time there is an accusation that they don't listen to feedback.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 8, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm dumb.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 8, 2014

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Vorenus posted:

But this is an actual example of them NOT listening to feedback. Which I guess would make what you posted even more fitting for :pgi: .

Well yeah, that was the joke.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
This is great the Brown Sea is belching and spewing and is about to reach Hurricane Shitstorm proportions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I like how since everyone with half a brain has given up on the game everyone left is upset that the PPC finally got nerfed. God bless the MWO devs and their playerbase, they deserve each other.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

They are justifying the CERLL (haha what a stupid name) nerf by pointing out that Clan mechs won 90% of games when they secretly switched the matchmaker to pit IS mechs against Clan mechs. Nobody is listening though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Phrosphor posted:

They are justifying the CERLL (haha what a stupid name) nerf by pointing out that Clan mechs won 90% of games when they secretly switched the matchmaker to pit IS mechs against Clan mechs. Nobody is listening though.

It's pretty great that they're doing something to correct the fact that clan poo poo is overpowered and they're getting grief for it.

Edit: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/167224-erll-nerf-erppc-nerf-refund-on-clan-pack/page__view__findpost__p__3620683

hahahahaha "What do you mean I didn't pay to win, give me a refund!"

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 8, 2014

• Locked thread