Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Any advice on a Zoroastrian start? Seems like a fun challenge but I don't really know where to begin.

I cheated by locking down most of Persia as the Saffarids and all their event troops. When you accumulate 1,000 piety there's a decision you can take to convert to the religion of your capital, which is Zoroastrianism. You can get piety pretty easily by holy warring Karen and Afghanistan and observing Ramadan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, that's a persistent bug that I've seen across a lot of the bigger mods; I half suspect it's a vanilla issue. :shrug:

I've only ever played vanilla and I've gotten the Thunderdome bug on at least one character on every playthrough. Sometimes the Grand Tournament will fail to end (my guess is if you declare war/get war declared on you before the ending event) and will continue until you die. It's been nice the last few times, since it hasn't ended up steadily killing/maiming random characters in my realm.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

TorakFade posted:

I downloaded this and I'm about to start a game. Are all races fleshed up? I would like to become Khajiti emperor of everything, but if most events are for the boring elves, I guess I could try being a elven mage or something.

Also, is this really that much playable? I have the Game of Thrones mod, and while most people seem to have a nice experience with it, I encountered countless bugs and problems and pretty much gave up.

I just started playing Elder Kings myself. I've only played as Nords so far and haven't really seen any special race-specific events. They do get to make pilgrimages to High Hrothgar and attempt to learn the Thu'um, but it seems to be really difficult and I haven't had a character successfully reach the Greybeards yet. I also have a sneaking suspicion I might find the Jagged Crown by surveying Korvanjund, but I can't send my Steward there to find out unless I directly control the province. Gonna test it once I have a legitimate reason to revoke the province, or my character's old enough that I don't have to worry about the consequences much.

Speaking of events, though, be prepared for the Knahaten Flu to sweep through and kill half your family and vassals about a century or two after game start.

I haven't encountered any bugs that don't already exist in vanilla CK2. Had a crash to desktop once while looking at the religion screen, but it hasn't happened again. Every single Dragonborn that's appeared in my game has been Khajiit, actually, but that's probably just a freak coincidence.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Inside Outside posted:

On a related note, the Saoshyant died of old age during the very beginning of the Seljuk invasion and I got this event I'd never seen before, maybe because it's an HIP thing? This was about a decade after he had been the winner of the Grand Tournament.

They will, Kamran the Saoshyant. They will. :unsmith:

Captain Novolin posted:

I've only ever played vanilla and I've gotten the Thunderdome bug on at least one character on every playthrough. Sometimes the Grand Tournament will fail to end (my guess is if you declare war/get war declared on you before the ending event) and will continue until you die. It's been nice the last few times, since it hasn't ended up steadily killing/maiming random characters in my realm.

Grand Tournaments in vanilla are super buggy at the moment. What most likely happened to Inside Outside is that his character won, but nobody came in third quickly enough to trigger the "Tournament Ends" event, so the tournament lasted until the death of his character. It has nothing to do with war decs, and everything to do with the MTTH for the tournament events being convoluted enough to make them bug out frequently.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

SeaTard posted:

I haven't looked at it, but why is there a Linux port? Everything should just be text/bitmaps, no conversions needed. My personal mod I do all the development in vi on my Linux box, but usually play on a Windows (or now OSX as well) machine.

Windows' vfs layer is case insensitive and allows either \ or / as a path separator.
Lux Invicta refers to various graphics files with different case to the actual path, and \.

The result is typically a crash when it tries to load the file and can't find it.

The new models for cities of different cultures are generally the ones at fault.

I also get annoyed when the devs add carriage returns to text files and comment code out rather than remove it.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

McGavin posted:

Grand Tournaments in vanilla are super buggy at the moment. What most likely happened to Inside Outside is that his character won, but nobody came in third quickly enough to trigger the "Tournament Ends" event, so the tournament lasted until the death of his character. It has nothing to do with war decs, and everything to do with the MTTH for the tournament events being convoluted enough to make them bug out frequently.

I've been regularly getting that event on ruler death even after the tournament ended properly, though. The character flags just seem to not get cleared correctly even when everything "works" :shrug:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
All the mods get hosed almost every time there's a patch so while one release may be awesome and bugfree, another may be hopelessy incomplete and buggy. You shouldn't judge the mod on just one release.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Bold Robot posted:

Any advice on a Zoroastrian start? Seems like a fun challenge but I don't really know where to begin.

Swear fealty to the muslims, I chose the southern muzzies myself. With good timing and fabrication of claims you can eat the persian sultanate from the inside out, as well as attacking targets of opportunity outside your lands. I managed to make a good powerbase for myself with this method.

However I wound up rage quitting when the persians finally disintegrated as I lost all the land which I'd taken in other duchies. I was installing zoroastrian counts in these lands and keeping them under the karen starting duchy and they flipped/became independent for ~reasons~. This probably applies to any area though, not just the east.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

If you want to do a "pure" run where you don't covert or swear fealty, its going to be difficult but ultimately more enjoyable.

Reload until you have a decent Vandad and at least 3000 event troops. Before unpausing immediately borrow 300g from the Jews. Also increase feudal levies to max and have your marshal train troops. If your couriers suck you can spam Invite Holy Man for 5 piety each until you have a decent council. Marry your sister and you'll get even more piety.

Then it's a matter of being strategic. I usually hire mercs immediately with my Jew loan and Holy War for Khiva. Usually the Saffarids and Samanids are occupied elsewhere, so blitz Khiva as fast as possible. With Khiva and Dihistan under control, you have a decent power base.

Depending on what the Yabguids and Cumans are doing, you can also expand north into Tengri territory. Holy Warring them will tend to draw fewer allies into the fight.

Also be sure to park your councilor on the Saffarids to improve relations; sometimes they will stay out of Holy Wars if they like you enough .

Prepare to reload, though. On average it takes me 4-5 attempts before I reach a point where I'm not in danger of losing the entire game in one battle. And that usually requires something lucky like the Shia appearing in Abbasid territory. Shia are the best because you can Holy War them and Sunnis will stay out of the fight.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sam. posted:

America mod update: We managed to fix the self-assassination bug with help from the Middle Earth team. Turns out it was caused by Rajas events in on_actions, even though they're not in anything related to death. All that's left to do before we can make a beta release is adding characters in Quebec and the Maritimes and finding out what's causing some CTDs.
I cannot wait. I've been eagerly following the development of this, and I'm more excited for it than for any proper game.

On a related note, how well do mods typically work in multiplayer? I got a couple friends into CK2 recently, and we've had a blast all playing dukes in the HRE, but we'd probably have way more fun playing as the various regions in America that we're from.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Start as Magyars, brute force your way into Persia after forming Hungary, convert to Zorastrian after attaining complete control of the Persian Empire.

Easiest Zoroastrian start :v:

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Easiest Zoroastrian start :v:

Mongols.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Disillusionist posted:

If you want to do a "pure" run where you don't covert or swear fealty, its going to be difficult but ultimately more enjoyable.

Reload until you have a decent Vandad and at least 3000 event troops. Before unpausing immediately borrow 300g from the Jews. Also increase feudal levies to max and have your marshal train troops. If your couriers suck you can spam Invite Holy Man for 5 piety each until you have a decent council. Marry your sister and you'll get even more piety.

Then it's a matter of being strategic. I usually hire mercs immediately with my Jew loan and Holy War for Khiva. Usually the Saffarids and Samanids are occupied elsewhere, so blitz Khiva as fast as possible. With Khiva and Dihistan under control, you have a decent power base.

Depending on what the Yabguids and Cumans are doing, you can also expand north into Tengri territory. Holy Warring them will tend to draw fewer allies into the fight.

Also be sure to park your councilor on the Saffarids to improve relations; sometimes they will stay out of Holy Wars if they like you enough .

Prepare to reload, though. On average it takes me 4-5 attempts before I reach a point where I'm not in danger of losing the entire game in one battle. And that usually requires something lucky like the Shia appearing in Abbasid territory. Shia are the best because you can Holy War them and Sunnis will stay out of the fight.

Thanks for the advice. Should I move my capital to Khiva? Seems like a better duchy than the starting one.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Thanks to a bunch of feedback I'll be incorporating a bunch of little fixes in the next hotfix update of Sonendar (soonish!)

Meanwhile, here is a preview of what I'll be making for the next (big) update:

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks for the advice. Should I move my capital to Khiva? Seems like a better duchy than the starting one.

That's what I do. At least, until I have Baghdad.

Also, another trick is to wait to create/usurp your first kingdom until after you switch to primogeniture succession. Normally, you need high crown authority to switch, and Zoros start at the lowest level. But Dukes don't have crown authority, so you just need to have ruled for 10 years and have your vassals like you (pretty easy since you have so few) to switch to primo. Then you can become a king.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I thought usurping a kingdom gave you the existing kingdom's crown laws, not your own, and it's only creating a non-existent title that gives it your own current laws? Did that change at some point?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DrSunshine posted:

Thanks to a bunch of feedback I'll be incorporating a bunch of little fixes in the next hotfix update of Sonendar (soonish!)

Meanwhile, here is a preview of what I'll be making for the next (big) update:

More places to oppress! Yay!

Also on the feedback note: I was playing Sonendar a couple days ago and the oddest thing happened. Without being at war, and without raiding, sieges were possible. I was getting besieged by my own vassal when his army paused in my territory for a bit. I also gathered my own forces up and went to an adjacent province, which is where it got really weird. I was able to besiege, but in addition to that when I won the siege the holding became occupied by me. I retreated and disbanded then declared war. Not only was I allowed to declare war, but because of my occupation, it began at 35% warscore. I have no idea how this could all be happening, but I thought I should let you know about it if you didn't already!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

More places to oppress! Yay!

Also on the feedback note: I was playing Sonendar a couple days ago and the oddest thing happened. Without being at war, and without raiding, sieges were possible. I was getting besieged by my own vassal when his army paused in my territory for a bit. I also gathered my own forces up and went to an adjacent province, which is where it got really weird. I was able to besiege, but in addition to that when I won the siege the holding became occupied by me. I retreated and disbanded then declared war. Not only was I allowed to declare war, but because of my occupation, it began at 35% warscore. I have no idea how this could all be happening, but I thought I should let you know about it if you didn't already!

Whaaaaat. :stare: I didn't even know that was possible. What the hell? Maybe it's some kind of raiding thing?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I thought usurping a kingdom gave you the existing kingdom's crown laws, not your own, and it's only creating a non-existent title that gives it your own current laws? Did that change at some point?

Usually that's the case. But since as Zoroastrians, most of your neighbors are Muslim (and thus are locked into their unique succession laws), I believe the crown laws revert to your current Duke-level laws when you usurp. I could be wrong though, because sometimes when I usurp from them the new titles switch to Gavelkind.

But I've used this strategy numerous times with the Shahdom of Khiva.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DrSunshine posted:

Whaaaaat. :stare: I didn't even know that was possible. What the hell? Maybe it's some kind of raiding thing?

Yeah I have no idea what or how the hell, but I'll keep an eye out for any clues for what it's about and whether it crops up in any other mods or anything, though I've not seen it elsewhere so far.

e; VVV Given that it went away when I later reloaded, that may well be it.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 8, 2014

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Vanilla has a bug that pops up occasionally where everyone on the map will be "at war" with everyone else on the map without declaring war. Saving, quitting and reloading fixes it. This might be related to that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Some of you may remember the Rozhans in Sonendar -- the guys who have an event chain that, for a truly immense sum of gold, can allow you to become an Emperor on your own and force a ton of minor independent rulers to swear fealty to you. Well, have you ever wondered just how these African-looking dudes ended up in what is essentially Central Europe?

Now you know!

The Continent of Dai-Orrozhai

A long time ago, the many ethnic groups and cultures forming the Eight Kingdoms were united under a single throne, ruled by an all-powerful Negus, the Sun King, He Who Makes The Fair Winds Blow. Imagine if something like the Moghul Empire had conquered Sub-Saharan Africa, and was ruled by a mighty Pharaoh. For a time, it was good, and Dai-Orrozhai -- the Great Golden Empire -- as the entire continent later became known, prospered as galleys and ships plied the trade routes, exchanging goods along its enormous coastline. A succession crisis, however, triggered a multi-decade long civil war. It was this same chaos that resulted in the Rozhan Expulsion, which was how the House of the Rose came to Sonendar, bringing with them a mere fraction of the fabulous wealth of their homeland.

Though a successor state remains, the Empire of Dai-Orrozhai never truly recovered its territories after the Eight Kingdoms broke apart. Perhaps one day, it shall.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Oh DrSunshine, I've noticed the IceReaper pirates conquering the reichs kingdom on the border of sonendar lake. Like the whole thing in one war. Is this supposed to happen?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Antinumeric posted:

Oh DrSunshine, I've noticed the IceReaper pirates conquering the reichs kingdom on the border of sonendar lake. Like the whole thing in one war. Is this supposed to happen?

It might be a bug with the cbs. I'm quite certain this will be addressed in the upcoming hotfix!

Which is here! Please try it!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 8, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mygna posted:

I've been regularly getting that event on ruler death even after the tournament ended properly, though. The character flags just seem to not get cleared correctly even when everything "works" :shrug:

Sometimes it just doesn't clear the tourney flag right even if you get the right events. Forcing the ending event sometimes fixes it, but you rarely know until it's too late.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I betrothed my son to the heir of France, she's 2 years older than him. Fast forward until my son turns 16, I don't get a pop up saying they can marry. I can't force it either, I only see the option to break the betrothal. What's up with that?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

beedeebee posted:

I betrothed my son to the heir of France, she's 2 years older than him. Fast forward until my son turns 16, I don't get a pop up saying they can marry. I can't force it either, I only see the option to break the betrothal. What's up with that?

Is your son not in your court?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

beedeebee posted:

If you're opposing sides in a war or if there is a revolt title involved somewhere, that messes with betrothals. Just wait for the AI to send the marriage proposal, they'll do it as soon as they can.

Sky Pilot
Feb 15, 2011

Mid-conquest of Cyrodiil, my Ashlander Eight Divines-worshipping patrician warlord king of the 'Republic' of the Heartlands got himself turned into a chicken. At least I get that +100 opinion bonus with fellow chickens.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Monty Python's Crusader Kings

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Can I make vassal trade republics by giving a a mayor at a coast control of the county, then the duchy, even if I don't have the DLC?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Can I make vassal trade republics by giving a a mayor at a coast control of the county, then the duchy, even if I don't have the DLC?

Yes.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Sweet. Is a port required or just a coast? I'm going to turn Galicia into my own capitalist theme park now.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Sky Pilot posted:

Mid-conquest of Cyrodiil, my Ashlander Eight Divines-worshipping patrician warlord king of the 'Republic' of the Heartlands got himself turned into a chicken. At least I get that +100 opinion bonus with fellow chickens.

You'd better rename your kingdom the Chicken Coop :colbert:

Also it doesn't affect your health stat in anyway, see how long you can live as a chicken.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Sweet. Is a port required or just a coast? I'm going to turn Galicia into my own capitalist theme park now.

Coastal county is enough.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

You'd better rename your kingdom the Chicken Coop :colbert:

Also it doesn't affect your health stat in anyway, see how long you can live as a chicken.

You're telling me I can become the immortal-Chicken GodKing of all Tamriel?

Is this a mod or does it overwrite the main game?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You're telling me I can become the immortal-Chicken GodKing of all Tamriel?

Is this a mod or does it overwrite the main game?

It's a mod, so you can just turn it on or off in the launcher whenever and the base game and any other mods all work fine.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Speaking of Elder Kings, I want to try a game as the Dragur Dragon-Cultist king in Atmora where I invade Skyrim from across the sea.

The problem is that I can't give out holdings, because all my courtiers are also undead (and therefore unable to produce heirs, making them in-eligible to be granted holdings). This is a problem starting out (because you start out well over your demesne limit), and I expect it would be a headache as I continued to play. Does anyone happen to know of a way around this?

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
This is all in Vanilla plus DLC:

I've got an adventurer due in about a year. What's odd is that his claim is on a county in France (two countries west of me, with no dynastic ties that I can see), he's accepted an invitation to my court, and has a great military stat. Should I assume that he's not really after my poo poo, that it's all a weird bug, and make him my marshal?

Or should I just assassinate him now that he's in my court?

Edit: Or I could just save and find out, I guess.

Edit: A year later, he's now my marshal, and the adventurer icon on the top of the screen went away. Odd.

Kangaroo Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gumby posted:

This is all in Vanilla plus DLC:

I've got an adventurer due in about a year. What's odd is that his claim is on a county in France (two countries west of me, with no dynastic ties that I can see), he's accepted an invitation to my court, and has a great military stat. Should I assume that he's not really after my poo poo, that it's all a weird bug, and make him my marshal?

Or should I just assassinate him now that he's in my court?

Edit: Or I could just save and find out, I guess.

If you are not on Ironman I would save and find out. Could be a funny story.

• Locked thread