Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Well that's what I meant but I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Zeitgueist posted:

so racist stop and frisks are OK as long as it's not completely obvious that they're racist

In practice, sometimes. The NYC stops were "justified" in part on nonracial grounds, but one of the arguments used against them were that the % of the minorities stopped were way higher than the % of the minorities actually committing crimes (the full statistical analysis and associated arguments from both sides got very complicated, I never fully followed up on them but the accuracy of some of them are part of the ongoing appeals). At a minimum systematized or structurally racist stops are likely to get caught and halted...eventually.

I am uncertain of the wisdom or the ethics of the Terry Stop or Stop and Frisk (generic, not NYC-flavor), but I think it'd help the conversation around them if we can keep the terms straight. (It's probably not a surprise that "Stop and Frisk" originally was the general legal doctrine and got bastardized into just referring to the NYC thing by the press.)

It's worth mentioning that there's a, by my understanding, quite strong legal argument that the racist intent of the officer isn't important if the nonracial pretext for the stop is itself valid. The NYC stuff didn't even meet that standard. It's the kind of uncomfortable nuance thing that got me my latest custom title.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 7, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Discendo Vox posted:

In practice, sometimes. The NYC stops were "justified" in part on nonracial grounds, but one of the arguments used against them were that the % of the minorities stopped were way higher than the % of the minorities actually committing crimes. The statistical analysis got very complicated, but at a minimum systematized or structurally racist stops are likely to get caught and halted...eventually.

Yeah. What I'm saying is that I'd bet that a statistical analysis of Terry stops would probably find a similar bias, just not as pronounced. The NYPD version was just clear enough that it was hard to dispute.

System remains racist, yada yada.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

A thing can be legal but not okay

lol just lol

no cop or judge gives one poo poo about this to even suggest it is hilarious

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He or she didn't claim that judges or police would care though? Just clarifying that stating something is within the law does not mean you personally approve of it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
yeah and I meant "ok" from a legal perspective not a moral one

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i think all lawyers should be brutally murdered.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

"Stop and Frisk", when used in reference to "Terry Stops" that involve a patdown for weapons, is legal. The NYC laws were struck down because police weren't even meeting this very low standard, but the general practice of stopping people with little reason and patting them down is legal, and probably will remain so. If a policeman does this, surprise surprise, don't give them poo poo about it- they think you're armed.

I am armed. Why wouldn't I be? He is.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

I am armed. Why wouldn't I be? He is.

Police departments HATE him! One weird trick discovered by a mom forums poster!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I skipped a step in describing the stop and frisk standard- it's different from, and greater than, the Terry Stop standard, although in practice it's quite low and not well-defined in caselaw. Please take another look at the post when considering how stop and frisk and Terry stops are distinguished. I was so annoyed about people thinking that terry stops and stop and frisk were illegal that I did a lovely job of outlining them- my apologies.

That said, a stop and frisk of SedanChair will always be justified due to obvious and imminent Forum Crimes.

R. Mute posted:

i think all lawyers should be brutally murdered.

In the grim darkness of the future, there are only lawyers.

(Does this include the people at the ACLU?)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Lawyers are pretty much what stands between you and the people who want to use the legal system to screw you, so I'd say hating lawyers is a nonstarter.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Discendo Vox posted:

That said, a stop and frisk of SedanChair will always be justified due to obvious and imminent Forum Crimes.

Posting While SedanChair.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
MSNBC just showed a few seconds of the ISIS propaganda tape including them doing donuts in a tank in the middle of the street. It looked pretty cool.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I mean, let's be honest here, given a tank and a desert, we'd all do the same.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Joementum posted:

I mean, let's be honest here, given a tank and a desert, we'd all do the same.

Car and Driver magazine once had a race between a tank, and Jay Leno's custom hot rod with the engine from a tank.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Drive better than those Russians.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5o_LwqX77I

This is long but this is unbelievable.

Christianity is stupid!
Communism is good!
Give up!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Car and Driver magazine once had a race between a tank, and Jay Leno's custom hot rod with the engine from a tank.

Jay Leno can die. And his car collection should be split up and never spoken of again; it doesn't represent any achievement like LeMay's does.

Jay Leno is execrable. Car and Driver is great though, in spite of their servile attitude towards the industry. When I was a kid my two prize possessions were a Swiss Army knife and a 1977 issue of car and driver with the Countach on the cover. I wanted to be a staff writer for them when I grew up.

Brock Yates is a fool but Sunday Driver is an amazing book.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SedanChair posted:

Jay Leno can die. And his car collection should be split up and never spoken of again; it doesn't represent any achievement like LeMay's does.

Jay Leno is execrable. Car and Driver is great though, in spite of their servile attitude towards the industry. When I was a kid my two prize possessions were a Swiss Army knife and a 1977 issue of car and driver with the Countach on the cover. I wanted to be a staff writer for them when I grew up.

Brock Yates is a fool but Sunday Driver is an amazing book.

Most recently I found C&D's treatment of the General Motors recall thing to be pretty lacking, but their writing is probably the most entertaining of the American car magazines.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Shear Modulus posted:

What is this poo poo, Axis and Allies cosplay?
Or your typical wealthy Thai graduation ceremony, either or.

http://bit.ly/1u4n1ST

Nazi man so cute ^___^

Trench_Rat posted:

worse than mongolian neo nazis

The Fast & The Fuhrerious

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Or the Nazi hipsters in Indonesia:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/indonesias-nazi-themed-soldatenkaffee-reopens-wwii-cafe-n141631

quote:

The establishment is named after a German military cafe in WWII’s occupied Paris. Giant Nazi flags and Waffen SS propaganda grace its red walls. Customers can order “Nazi goreng” (a revisited version of traditional Indonesian fried rice dish "nasi goreng") served on swastika-motif china, by a waiter wearing an SS uniform. The SoldatenKaffee (Soldier’s cafe) first opened in 2011.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Also I desperately wish GBS would get out of the Middle East thread

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gail Wynand posted:

Also I desperately wish GBS would get out of the Middle East thread

You can always tell when the possibility of war is in the news, tyros who apparently were pissing their diapers during OIF show up with Key Opinions for you to consider.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Is this a good place to mention that there is a Confederate-themed bar in Tel Aviv called The Rebel Diner Bar?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why did they not call it Nazi Göring?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is this a good place to mention that there is a Confederate-themed bar in Tel Aviv called The Rebel Diner Bar?

not gonna lie, I would hang out there

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Singapore has a bar like that too, it's impressively legit. Also full of prostitutes which somehow makes it even better.

Last time I went they were showing college rodeo and playing some Hank Williams.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Grognan posted:

not gonna lie, I would hang out there

That's very telling.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm surprised that it's not named after Judah Benjamin.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

Lawyers are pretty much what stands between you and the people who want to use the legal system to screw you, so I'd say hating lawyers is a nonstarter.
Lawyers are also the people who (a) typically write the laws that people want to use to screw you; and (b) give people advice on how to use the legal system to screw you.

(I'm a lawyer. :ohdear:)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Lancelot posted:

(I'm a lawyer. :ohdear:)

The guillotine is too good for you.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I'd hug a lawyer. There's plenty of good ones, if that one show that had all those Star Trek actors guest-star is any indication.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Warszawa is pretty much SA's token good-natured lawyer.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Are any of you wondering who to vote for in the New Zealand general election this September?

http://onthefence.co.nz/

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If you want to kill all lawyers you are technically threatening the First Lady of the United States of America. Please don't make the secret service come down on these forums again. :smith:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's just annoying that lawyers are one of those professions who get really anal about everything. they just can't switch off outside the courtroom. i mean, people use legal terms incorrectly, yeah, but that's just colloquial use and as long as you understand what they're trying to say - which you do, remember - you don't have to explain every goddamn legal term every time it comes up. or how they forget about things like ethics, politics, opinions in favour of THE LAW. it's like a bunch of really boring, grey dredds.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Great chyron, or the greatest chyron?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of lawyers they said on NPR yesterday that lawyers will be one of the first white collar jobs the robots will take in the future.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

R. Mute posted:

it's just annoying that lawyers are one of those professions who get really anal about everything. they just can't switch off outside the courtroom. i mean, people use legal terms incorrectly, yeah, but that's just colloquial use and as long as you understand what they're trying to say - which you do, remember - you don't have to explain every goddamn legal term every time it comes up. or how they forget about things like ethics, politics, opinions in favour of THE LAW. it's like a bunch of really boring, grey dredds.
A couple of my closest friends are transactional / corporate lawyers and they're some of the most hilarious people I know (most lawyers never enter a courtroom). You've got a bad bunch. The thing about lawyers at really big firms is that even the really good guys get trapped into the golden handcuffs deal for the most part. The best of them know it and just don't brag about it, heh. Hell, most of them don't want to talk about work much at all when they're not there. They make shitloads of money, those who slid in before the ladder got pulled up (though the cuts have been coming for a few years now), but they don't actually like their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Great chyron, or the greatest chyron?

Lol.

Ok so when I was in college I was a pretty huge marijuana activist because of course I was. I even founded a chapter of NORML at my campus and was an invited speaker at a drug war forum where I was shouted down by the entire audience after I said that probably we should legalize all drugs. Anyways it's an issue that's close to my heart and the fact that we are literally gradually legalizing marijuana in this country blows my mind. So when I read reports that legalization in CO did nothing to increase the teen usage rate, the great anti-legalization bugaboo, it makes me :getin: as hell.

• Locked thread