Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Beach Bum posted:

I was gonna post that one but I was really looking for the one right before they had to fly Cougar in on approach.

Now that I've re-watched the opener to Top Gun about 5 times, I was wondering if anyone has a good source of carrier flight-ops footage? Watching a crew work that ballet is just :swoon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_%28film%29
I found the film really dull story-wise but it's great if you want to watch F-14 carrier operations. It's on Netflix with a good HD transfer and looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Don't see one of these every day.

Vought Pirate. 1945 first flight, first Navy aircraft with an afterburner, built out of a wood and aluminum composite. Was underpowered, and never saw active service. This is the last one left, and is a really really nice restoration to leave out in the weather like that.

And the moral of the story is, never let Westinghouse build high-perfomance jet engines.

e: I swear I remember seeing FISTY show up on FlightAware.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 8, 2014

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I found the film really dull story-wise but it's great if you want to watch F-14 carrier operations. It's on Netflix with a good HD transfer and looks great.

Seconding this, story was boring as all hell but the carrier bits were neat to watch. There's also a bunch of WW2 and early cold war stuff that's been declassified and stuck on youtube relatively recently, I'll dig for links if I have time later but it wasn't hard to find just searching youtube. Along with the carrier and airplane related stuff there's some neat training films and such, like avoiding flak in your bomber, how to operate light and medium tanks, and effectively use machine guns in an offensive role.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

CharlesM posted:

It's incredibly campy, and the plot does kinda drag, but I love it if only for the scenes of F-14s trying to dogfight Zeros -- it's a bit one-sided, if you couldn't guess.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CharlesM posted:

I can't watch or even think about this movie without that loving song playing in my head.

E: goddammit

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 8, 2014

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I went on the internet, and I found this;

7th Generation!

(but the website says 6th???)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Did you find it on the last page of this thread?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Any jet built that is ever actually built by Beaverworks sure as poo poo better be painted brown as its standard livery. :colbert:

Also: they've watched Firefox entirely too many times.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Well, you can't say that it's not pretty.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Angles on the stabilizers and canards that recall stealthy planes, and then that dogtooth on the wing. poo poo's Ace Combat as anything.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Duke Chin posted:

Any jet built that is ever actually built by Beaverworks sure as poo poo better be painted brown as its standard livery. :colbert:

You'd have to think simultaneously in English and French

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Duke Chin posted:

e: stupid post

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 8, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drzrma posted:

Seconding this, story was boring as all hell but the carrier bits were neat to watch. There's also a bunch of WW2 and early cold war stuff that's been declassified and stuck on youtube relatively recently, I'll dig for links if I have time later but it wasn't hard to find just searching youtube. Along with the carrier and airplane related stuff there's some neat training films and such, like avoiding flak in your bomber, how to operate light and medium tanks, and effectively use machine guns in an offensive role.

Fun Fact: during one of the 'dogfight' scenes with Zeros in this film, one of the pilots nearly smacked his plane into the water after stalling too close to the ground. They left it in. And these were the days with the Pratt and Whitney engines. The Tomcat didn't come into its own until it got the F110.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XNEWtJF0o (happens around the 2:45 mark - he stalls, goes inverted nose down, and *barely* pulls out of it once he's regained energy)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 8, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Fun Fact: during one of the 'dogfight' scenes with Zeros in this film, one of the pilots nearly smacked his plane into the water after stalling too close to the ground. They left it in. And these were the days with the Pratt and Whitney engines. The Tomcat didn't come into its own until it got the F110.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XNEWtJF0o (happens around the 2:45 mark - he stalls, goes inverted nose down, and *barely* pulls out of it once he's regained energy)

Yeah when I saw that particular maneuver I was pretty :stare:. Christ, that'd be a hell of a thing to have to ditch a bird on a photo op.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A stunt pilot actually died during the filming of Top Gun. Didn't recover from the flat spin, wreckage never found, cause unknown. :/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Beach Bum posted:

Christ, that'd be a hell of a thing to have to ditch a bird on a photo op.

Like this classic photo?

CharlesM posted:

A stunt pilot actually died during the filming of Top Gun. Didn't recover from the flat spin, wreckage never found, cause unknown. :/

Yeah, Art Scholl.

Another fun (and potentially untrue) fact about Top Gun that I only heard because my father was a Navy helo pilot - during the water rescue scene, Cruise was loving around in the drink and actually got himself into a dangerous situation for a minute or two, which spoiled a take because the rescue swimmer actually had to do his actual job. I also remember there being a decent story behind why it was a Coast Guard chopper that picked the both of them up out of the water and not a Navy helo, but I can't remember enough details.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 8, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CharlesM posted:

Not exactly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_accidents

Top Gun (1986). On 16 September 1985, aerobatic pilot Art Scholl crashed his Pitts S-2 camera-plane off the southern Californian coast near Carlsbad and neither was recovered.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Colonial Air Force posted:

Not exactly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_accidents

Top Gun (1986). On 16 September 1985, aerobatic pilot Art Scholl crashed his Pitts S-2 camera-plane off the southern Californian coast near Carlsbad and neither was recovered.

He was doing deliberate spins at the time to get the pov shot.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is there any truth to that, though? Sounds to me like there was an effective scary movie shot, and someone got too eager to hear an exciting story about it being real and started an urban myth that way.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vessbot posted:

Is there any truth to that, though? Sounds to me like there was an effective scary movie shot, and someone got too eager to hear an exciting story about it being real and started an urban myth that way.

Considering how lovely those engines were it wouldn't surprise me at all. I've talked to many Tomcat pilots who flew A models and its pretty shocking how accepted it was that you were going to get yourself in trouble at some point because those engines.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vulturesrow posted:

Considering how lovely those engines were it wouldn't surprise me at all. I've talked to many Tomcat pilots who flew A models and its pretty shocking how accepted it was that you were going to get yourself in trouble at some point because those engines.

Bye, Bye, Baby! has a lot of anecdotes about how lovely the first-gen Tomcat engines were. The newer revision was such an improvement that afterburner launches weren't necessary.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

vessbot posted:

It's kind of hard to tell, I'm sure that was a pretty long lens for that shot, but there wasn't any sky visible under it and a lot of water above.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
In any case I'm going to tell my wingman to splash the zeros at some point now that I've seen that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm curious how well an early-rev Sidewinder would resolve a Zero.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I saw the greatest vanity plate ever today. I'm half tempted to move to VA just to get it:

(Stock image, didn't take a pic)

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm curious how well an early-rev Sidewinder would resolve a Zero.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Good thing they had GUNS and it isn't a fighter without one - in fact you just need that, a titanium bathtub, and a single engine, don't you know? No radar necessary.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

simplefish posted:

Good thing they had GUNS and it isn't a fighter without one - in fact you just need that, a titanium bathtub, and a single engine, don't you know? No radar necessary.

I've always wondered how if an A-10 Warthog would do dogfighting with WWII fighers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

pkells posted:

I saw the greatest vanity plate ever today. I'm half tempted to move to VA just to get it:

(Stock image, didn't take a pic)

Ironic given what I recently read about punishments for speeding in Virginia!

Link: http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zhanism posted:

I've always wondered how if an A-10 Warthog would do dogfighting with WWII fighers.

This is one of those questions like "could a grizzly bear fight two gorillas at once", isn't it?

I think you have to specify what fighters, and where. I know some WW2 fighters were good down low, and others were superior at high altitude, and I have no idea how that maps onto a A-10's flight envelope.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
An A-10 armed with only ammo would probably wreck some poo poo.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

holocaust bloopers posted:

An A-10 armed with only ammo would probably wreck some poo poo.

The can opener on the A-10 could really show the German and the Russian attack birds a thing or two.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
If you had told me TF30s were manufactured by Westinghouse, I probably would believe you. That's how bad they were.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Seems like a decently interesting question all things considered. A late war boom and zoom might do surprisingly well with a decent height advantage, but we're talking about a 40 year gap here. I'd be surprised if most WW2 fighters had the ammo to really get the job done on something built to fly into Shilkas.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 8, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mazz posted:

Seems like a decently interesting question all things considered. A late war boom and zoom might do surprisingly well with a decent height advantage, but we're talking about a 40 year gap here. I'd be surprised if most WW2 fighters had the ammo to really get the job done on something built to fly into Shilkas.

Yeah, wouldn't the A-10 be effectively impervious to anything that didn't have a cannon?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Go head on or come down on them from the front and put some rounds into those nice big fans...? :shrug: Enough sustained fire on a pilot who got stuck on HDG HOLD would probably bring anything down.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I would much rather see Glenn Woods in a Huey with an AK-47 go against an A-10

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
On this date in 1963, the YF-12 took to the air for the first time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you've never had a dream about flying an A-10 into combat at Kursk, you don't belong in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

If you've never had a dream about flying an A-10 into combat at Kursk, you don't belong in this thread.

How about Normandy?