Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Would Vidal actually improve our midfield though? Not as classy as Gerrard & nowhere near the engine of Henderson. Allen keeps improving too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Ayre: How much? Quick!
Sevilla: What?
Ayre: He's for the first team.
Sevilla: Oh, ehm... twenty million.
Ayre: Right.
Ayre: There you are.
Sevilla: Wait a minute!
Ayre: What?
Sevilla: Well, we're... we're supposed to haggle!
Ayre: No, no, no, I've got to get...
Sevilla: What do you mean, "No, no, no"?
Ayre: I haven't got time, we've got preseason soon...
Sevilla: Well, give him back, then.
Ayre: No, no, no, I just paid you!
Sevilla: Daniel!
Daniel Levy: Yeah?
Sevilla: This bloke won't haggle!
Daniel Levy: Won't haggle?!
Ayre: All right, do we have to?
Sevilla: Now look, I want twenty million for him.
Ayre: Ehm...I just gave you twenty million.
Sevilla: Now are you telling me he's not worth twenty million?
Ayre: No.
Sevilla: Look at him on Youtube! See the quality, that's not any of your old Bertrand rubbish!
Ayre: All right, I'll give you nineteen million then.
Sevilla: No, no, no, come on, do it properly!
Sevilla: Haggle properly, "he isn't worth nineteen million"!
Ayre: Well, you just said he was worth twenty million!
Sevilla: Oh dear, oh dear. Come on, haggle!
Ayre: Uh, all right, I'll give you ten million.
Sevilla: That's more like it! Ten million? Are you trying to insult me? Me, with a poor dying club? Rakitic gone, and now you're trying to steal our star player for ten million? Ten million!?
Ayre: All right, I'll give you eleven million!
Sevilla: Now you're getting it. Eleven million!? Did I hear you right? Eleven? He cost me twelve million, you want to ruin me?
Ayre: Seventeen million?
Sevilla: No, no, no, no, not seventeen million!
Ayre: Eighteen million?
Sevilla: No, no, no, you've got to go to fourteen million now.
Ayre: All right, I'll give you fourteen million.
Sevilla: Fourteen million!? Are you joking?
Ayre: That's what you told me to say!
Sevilla: Oh, dear...
Ayre: Oh, tell me what to say, please!
Sevilla: Offer me fourteen million.
Ayre: I'll give you fourteen million.
Sevilla: He's offering me fourteen for him!
Ayre: Fifteen million!
Sevilla: Seventeen million. My last word, I won't take a penny less, or strike me dead.
Ayre: Sixteen million!
Sevilla: Done! Nice to do business with you.
Ayre: Mhm.
Sevilla: Tell you what, I'll throw you in Aspas back aswell.
Ayre: I don't want him, but thanks.
Ayre: All right, all right, all right.
Sevilla: Now where's the sixteen million you owe me?
Ayre: I just gave you twenty million.
Sevilla: Oh yeah, that's right, that's four million I owe you, then.
Ayre: No, that's all right, that's fine, that's fine.
Sevilla: No, hang on, I've got it here somewhere.
Ayre: No, it's all right, that's four million for Aspas.
Sevilla: Four million? For Iago Blades? Four million!? Look at it! He's worth ten million if he's worth a Euro!
Ayre: You just offered him back to me for nothing!
Sevilla: Yes, but he's worth ten million.
Ayre: All right, all right!
Sevilla: No, no, no, no, he's not worth ten milliom, you're supposed to argue! "Ten million for him, you must be mad!"

(Ayre leaves shaking his head and asking if Davies' paperwork has DEFINITELY gone through)

Sevilla: Oh, well, one born every minute.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Strawman posted:

Ayre: How much? Quick!
Ayre: He's for the first team.
Sevilla: Oh, ehm... twenty million.
Ayre: Right.
Ayre: There you are.
Sevilla: Wait a minute!
Sevilla: Well, we're... we're supposed to haggle!
Ayre: No, no, no, I've got to get...
Sevilla: What do you mean, "No, no, no"?
Ayre: I haven't got time, we've got preseason soon...
Sevilla: Well, give him back, then.
Ayre: No, no, no, I just paid you!
Sevilla: This bloke won't haggle!
Daniel Levy: Won't haggle?!
Ayre: All right, do we have to?
Sevilla: Now look, I want twenty million for him.
Ayre: Ehm...I just gave you twenty million.
Sevilla: Now are you telling me he's not worth twenty million?
Ayre: No.
Sevilla: Look at him on Youtube! See the quality, that's not any of your old Bertrand rubbish!
Ayre: All right, I'll give you nineteen million then.
Sevilla: No, no, no, come on, do it properly!
Sevilla: Haggle properly, "he isn't worth nineteen million"!
Ayre: Well, you just said he was worth twenty million!
Sevilla: Oh dear, oh dear. Come on, haggle!
Ayre: Uh, all right, I'll give you ten million.
Sevilla: That's more like it! Ten million? Are you trying to insult me? Me, with a poor dying club? Rakitic gone, and now you're trying to steal our star player for ten million? Ten million!?
Ayre: All right, I'll give you eleven million!
Sevilla: Now you're getting it. Eleven million!? Did I hear you right? Eleven? He cost me twelve million, you want to ruin me?
Ayre: Seventeen million?
Sevilla: No, no, no, no, not seventeen million!
Ayre: Eighteen million?
Sevilla: No, no, no, you've got to go to fourteen million now.
Ayre: All right, I'll give you fourteen million.
Sevilla: Fourteen million!? Are you joking?
Ayre: That's what you told me to say!
Sevilla: Oh, dear...
Ayre: Oh, tell me what to say, please!
Sevilla: Offer me fourteen million.
Ayre: I'll give you fourteen million.
Sevilla: He's offering me fourteen for him!
Ayre: Fifteen million!
Sevilla: Seventeen million. My last word, I won't take a penny less, or strike me dead.
Ayre: Sixteen million!
Sevilla: Done! Nice to do business with you.
Ayre: Mhm.
Sevilla: Tell you what, I'll throw you in Aspas back aswell.
Ayre: I don't want him, but thanks.
Ayre: All right, all right, all right.
Sevilla: Now where's the sixteen million you owe me?
Ayre: I just gave you twenty million.
Sevilla: Oh yeah, that's right, that's four million I owe you, then.
Ayre: No, that's all right, that's fine, that's fine.
Sevilla: No, hang on, I've got it here somewhere.
Ayre: No, it's all right, that's four million for Aspas.
Sevilla: Four million? For Iago Blades? Four million!? Look at it! He's worth ten million if he's worth a Euro!
Ayre: You just offered him back to me for nothing!
Sevilla: Yes, but he's worth ten million.
Ayre: All right, all right!
Sevilla: No, no, no, no, he's not worth ten milliom, you're supposed to argue! "Ten million for him, you must be mad!"

(Ayre leaves shaking his head and asking if Davies' paperwork has DEFINITELY gone through)

Sevilla: Oh, well, one born every minute.

Who loving writes this poo poo, I hate them

Draws An 8
Mar 26, 2010
They are "chock full" of players who would be on an MLS bench. Phil Jones? Their center back pairing is less than ours. I'd take Besler over any of there center backs. Steven Gerrard couldn't play at Mike Bradley's level ever. Landon would be a starter for England. Landon didn't make the US team. p Joe Hart and Timmy are a toss up. Fabian Johnson is the best outside back on both teams. The list goes on. England really needs a player like Jermaine Jones. We have 5 midfielders equal to Jack Willshire. The US is a better team, and hence the results.

After a while, results matter. England does nothing.... ever. We got out of our group. England did not. They tied Costa (f'ing) Rica. Telling really; Costa Rica and England are equivalent teams. I am so tired of hearing that we are more athletic, or that we try harder, or that our coach is better. Right now, the US plays better soccer than England.

The EPL colors people's view. The EPL is a great league with many great players. Outside Rooney, and Joe Hart, the 3 Lions are not part of that group of great players.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Love the part where they use the World Cup success as evidence that US is better than England then say England is equivalent to Costa Rica who did better than the US at said World Cup.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Love the part where they use the World Cup success as evidence that US is better than England then say England is equivalent to Costa Rica who did better than the US at said World Cup.

The best part is that they give us Joe Hart as being equivalent to their best player.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
This is definitely the right thread for this post but they have a point about Gerrard v Bradley on current ability

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Thats a bad post but England were some fail. Leighton Baines lol

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

This is definitely the right thread for this post but they have a point about Gerrard v Bradley on current ability

Do you search for Liverpool/Gerrard so you can post stuff like this?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
DZ SiBoT man is back with some even more advanced stats to justify looking down on teams for winning. The CR:TB ratio is insanely my poo poo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/08/06/the-unappealing-moneyball-of-crystal-palace-and-hull-city/

There's some graphs if you click through

quote:

Perhaps no sport is more dominated by money than European soccer. With few restrictions on team payrolls or transfer budgets, big spending clubs consistently outperform their poorer competitors by wide margins. Recent seasons have seen exciting challenges to the elite come from Jurgen Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund and Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid, both clubs coming just short of winning the 2013 and 2014 Champions League titles, respectively. However, the “smallness” of these clubs is relative. Dortmund does not have the budget of Bayern Munich, but it is one of two major teams from the massive Ruhr Valley metropolis, and it sells out an 80,000 spectator capacity stadium regularly. Atletico Madrid are overshadowed by Real Madrid, but as the second team in Madrid, Atleti can draw on large revenues to fund its underdog campaigns.

If you look lower in the soccer class structure for overachieving teams, some less exciting examples show themselves. Last year in the English Premier League, both Crystal Palace and Hull City appeared to be good candidates for relegation. The two teams had managed to win promotion from the Championship after uninspiring league seasons in which they outscored their opponents by just 20 goals combined. Neither Palace nor Hull used the sudden revenue jump associated with joining the Premier League to spend particularly lavishly, dropping net spend numbers of about $20 million and $30 million respectively, while the other promoted side Cardiff City splashed over $50 million. But at the end of the season, it was the Welsh side that was relegated back to the Championship. Palace finished a solid 11th, while Hull City ended safely in 16th and reached the final of the FA Cup.

How did the Eagles and the Tigers stay in the league? It was not, sad to say, by playing inspiring or exciting soccer. Managers Tony Pulis and Steve Bruce built teams that excelled instead at soccer’s classic weapons of the weak. They defended deep, then attacked quickly down the flanks with long balls and crosses. I wrote earlier about opposition passing percentage as a marker of a high defensive press. No team in England forced a lower rate incomplete passes than Crystal Palace at just over 17 percent. Hull City was little better, at a little over 18 percent. No exciting, high tempo press here.

Both teams also eschewed attacks through the center for more speculative crosses from the flanks. Pulis’s and Bruce’s sides led the league in their ratio of crosses to through-balls attempted.

In fact, that number somewhat understates Pulis’s side focus on the flanks. He was only manager for the final 26 matches of the season. Crystal Palace began the season under Ian Holloway, who made a few desultory attempts to get him team to play more exciting, passing soccer. Palace had a high but less extraordinary Cr:TB ratio of about 20:1 when Pulis took over, and a crazy ratio of about 38:1 under his watch.

The extremity of Pulis’s tactics can be seen best by comparison to Bruce’s Hull. With a good passer in Tom Huddlestone at the base of midfield, Hull City did at times seek play out of the back. Tony Pulis effectively barred his team from playing out of the back.

Most teams in the Premier League, even Hull City, play over 150 passes in their own defensive half per match. Your more progressive passing attacks like Liverpool and Arsenal attempt well over 200. Tony Pulis got his team under 100 per match.

These tactics hold little appeal for fans. They tend to slow games down, and the goals that are scored tend to be more on the smash-and-grab end of the attractiveness spectrum. But at a reasonably low cost, these tactics carried Hull City to the FA Cup final and Crystal Palace out of the basement into the mid-table. I worry that if a systematic Moneyball approach comes to soccer, for many teams it might look a lot more like Pulis-ball than anything else.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
From the comments:

"I have completed an in-depth statistical analysis on the state of affairs across Europe and can now let you know that Frenchman Seurat easily out performed all others in the number of dabs per centimetre but compared unfavourably to Dutch star van Gogh when self-portraits are figured into the mix. Needless to say French star Renoir covers an immense amount of canvas each outing but the outstanding all-round performer is in Holland, where Rembrandt not only covers acres more canvas than his competitors but also easily outstrips even fellow countryman van Gogh for the number of successful self-portraits attempted and completed. Thus Rembrandt is statistically the best and one can only pity the unappealing moneyball of Pablo Picasso, some of whose self-portaits have subsequently turned out to be pictures of a table in his kitchen."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm literally disgusted in real life that crap like that can be published by a supposedly good news outlet like the Washington Post.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

TheBigAristotle posted:

From the comments:

"I have completed an in-depth statistical analysis on the state of affairs across Europe and can now let you know that Frenchman Seurat easily out performed all others in the number of dabs per centimetre but compared unfavourably to Dutch star van Gogh when self-portraits are figured into the mix. Needless to say French star Renoir covers an immense amount of canvas each outing but the outstanding all-round performer is in Holland, where Rembrandt not only covers acres more canvas than his competitors but also easily outstrips even fellow countryman van Gogh for the number of successful self-portraits attempted and completed. Thus Rembrandt is statistically the best and one can only pity the unappealing moneyball of Pablo Picasso, some of whose self-portaits have subsequently turned out to be pictures of a table in his kitchen."

This is great

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

It really bothers me that that guy and Mike L. Goodman have good jobs

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

TheBigAristotle posted:

From the comments:

Brilliant

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Disgusted that he referenced Seurat but missed the "points per..." open goal

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

TheBigAristotle posted:

From the comments:

that's a good post

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

quote:

I know there is bad blood between Juventus and LFC fans after Heysel...

So do you think it would be a bad move to wear a LFC shirt to the Juventus game in Singapore or should it be fine?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TheBigAristotle posted:

From the comments:

That rules, this guy should post here.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
so swansea actually play tiki taka?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

Not now that Gary Monk's in charge

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slaapaav posted:

Typed up 4 paragraphs before I saw what thread I was in

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

Typed up 4 paragraphs before I saw what thread I was in

you should have posted it if you already typed all that

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

what the gently caress is this?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Thom P. Tiers posted:

what the gently caress is this?

http://www.si.com/edge/photos/2014/08/05/sports-illustrated-fittest-50-athletes-sports

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the black person rating scale with a white dude throwin in for good laughs

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

loving Micah Richards is in that list lmao

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
why is baseball players in there thats not a real sport

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
"four unique criteria"

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

list is flawed where's jozy?

edit: although i did click thru and saw a gallery of Sage Erickson and her pals in bikinis so not a total loss

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Oh my god this is so monumentally stupid. It's almost like these people train to do different things and can't really be compared

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Diego Forlan looks like hes about to die nowadays ffs

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Of all those things I think I like Michael Phelps - Strength 7 the best

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Of all those things I think I like Michael Phelps - Strength 7 the best

hes stronger than Rich Froning for sure

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Lebron James is as fast as Usain Bolt & stronger than Mayweather whilst at the same time managing to look like an aids victim, impressive.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

TelekineticBear! posted:

hes stronger than Rich Froning for sure
Well Froning is only as strong as Roger Federer so I can buy that.

There's just so much to love about this but I think my favourite might be Usain Bolt having the same endurance as Chris Froome, sprinting a few hundred metres and cycling for miles every day are totally equivalent.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Lol at AD being as low as eighth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Imagine Floyd Mayweather bombing down the right against Sunderland and then suddenly claiming to have an injury and hiding in the bathroom when he has to play against City, it'd be sweet as heck imho