Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

My eye just started twitching as I read that

The Washington Post's beloved humor columnist Gene Weingarten interviewed Kharringtyn-McKhynleigh Khaybryn Sparks's grandmother after that image went viral online:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/a-real-khyuty-pye/2014/06/19/47dcff4c-ea65-11e3-b98c-72cef4a00499_story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
It irrationally bothers me that both "Carrington" and "McKinley" seem somehow masculine if used as given names.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mr. Belpit posted:

It irrationally bothers me that both "Carrington" and "McKinley" seem somehow masculine if used as given names.

There are some surnames names that, no matter how much I dislike them, do kind of work as given names. Carrington and McKinley are not on the list. They don't seem like given names to me at all.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Wenece

Lilween

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Aug 7, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

When I was a kid, I used to wear a costume every year when Lilween came along.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Istari posted:

Wenece

Lilween

I'm sure it's weh-NESS, but I read it as "Wenis"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Istari posted:

Wenece

Lilween

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Spotted this on Imgur.
It's the names from a Tennessee first grade class.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

This has been posted right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I saw an article in a (Dutch) newspaper about a kid called Tonny-boy. Not a nickname or anything, his actual name.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Spotted this on Imgur.

I hope Eunique becomes a popular name :ironicat:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Spotted this on Imgur.

That there is a school where you don't have to identify kids by their last initial

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just got some paper work on a woman named Shakebra.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Lotish posted:

Just got some paper work on a woman named Shakebra.

It's like the shakeweight but it just works your pecs

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I may have already posted this one but a grown man at my work is named Jaesun. Always gets me.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

jojoinnit posted:

I may have already posted this one but a grown man at my work is named Jaesun. Always gets me.

Sounds like a Korean name, as if it were meant to be spelled Jae-soon. If he isn't Korean, then...

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

My mum and I are both teachers and we love to compare odd names from our classes. My all time favourite is one of her kids, in a school in a rural area that has never had a single black pupil ever, is Shaquille. Paired, of course, with the sort of surname that would offer the greatest juxtaposition. Think "Shaquille Macleod". Really stood out in a class full of Emily, Ross and Rebecca!

I taught a Keanu this year, whose parents are obviously dating themselves.

I'm sure many of you know that there are certain names teachers can't help themselves pre-judging (Kyle was one my boss highlighted this week as a name to run away from really fast). So it's amusing when you get a kid whose name suggests they should be pretty angelic and they're not. I had a Margaret this year, which definitely seemed too much of a good girl name for someone I was constantly giving detentions too. Turns out I had been misreading her name all along, and she was actually Margret. Her mum hadn't known how to spell it properly :(.

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV

Say Nothing posted:

Spotted this on Imgur.

Who the gently caress names their kid "Donny"?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Acaila posted:

(Kyle was one my boss highlighted this week as a name to run away from really fast)

"Shane"

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Where I'm from, Casey (and all variations), Lachlan, Eden, and any diminutive of Michael (not including the name Michael itself) were the ones to watch out for.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
Tuniscera. I googled it and got nothing. If someone can tell me this is a traditional name from somewhere I'd feel a lot better.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Sounds like a Korean name, as if it were meant to be spelled Jae-soon. If he isn't Korean, then...

Very much a white guy (it's just pronounced as Jason). I don't think it's the spelling itself so much as the fact that someone with special snowflake spelling is already old enough to have an adult job. I'm ready for our future of board meetings full of Jayden's and Kaydens but y'know, not quite yet.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DemonDarkhorse posted:

Tuniscera. I googled it and got nothing. If someone can tell me this is a traditional name from somewhere I'd feel a lot better.
It sounds like the scientific name for something that lives somewhere really weird or reproduces in a really peculiar way.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Runcible Cat posted:

It sounds like the scientific name for something that lives somewhere really weird or reproduces in a really peculiar way.

I THINK it's a super-obscure name derived from Kabbalah.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Four-String Samurai posted:

Who the gently caress names their kid "Donny"?

I have a friend whose given name is "Donny". His father was watching the Donny and Marie show while drunk and thought it would be a great name for his son.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
double-post

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

I feel like this too, possibly because I'm reading it to rhyme with "viscera"

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Istari posted:

Where I'm from, Casey (and all variations), Lachlan, Eden, and any diminutive of Michael (not including the name Michael itself) were the ones to watch out for.

Lachlan is definitely a good boy name. The only context I'd be wary of it would be at a private school, where the poncier the name, the worse the kid (I have been turned off the name Hugo forever, because the only ones you get nowadays are the worst private school brats)
Casey you are right about though. But they all pale in comparison to Josh (I genuinely winced when I found out an old friend had named his son Josh).

For content, they publish the full list of baby names used in Scotland each year, and it's a small enough country that you can read through them all in a night.
Here's the 2012 one: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/theme/vital-events/births/popular-names/babies-first-names-2012/detailed-tables.html

I got a giggle out of Evony. Imagine that poor girl growing up and googling it only to discover her dad is a sad nerdy perv.
There's also Inara, again probably implying the dad likes space hookers.
Wyntrr is truly a special snowflake name in every sense.

For boys, there's Roux, as in the sauce. A baby Attila, who I desperately hope turns out to be a shy retiring sweet little lad. There also seem to be kids who are named with just a single letter like "A" or "T". And, in continuing horrible spellings, I feel bad for the kid named "Joesph". Not to mention little Peadar, who is surely not going to have an easy ride in the playground.

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014
My mom always told me to watch out for guys named "Gary." Never had a problem with Garys, personally.

As far as dumb white trash names go, I'm sure "Nevaeh" has come up in this thread, but I finally experienced it personally. The daughter of a friend of the family named her most recent child "Nevaeh." (She has like 8 different kids by several different guys and her mom takes care of them all day.) It's "heaven" spelled backwards! You might as well just loving name your kid "Nilbog."

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Acaila posted:

A baby Attila, who I desperately hope turns out to be a shy retiring sweet little lad.

In some parts of the world, Attila is actually still a rather common name :eng101:

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

Acaila posted:

Not to mention little Peadar, who is surely not going to have an easy ride in the playground.

I could be wrong, but I think Peadar is an Irish (or Gaelic?) name. Couldn't say how common it is, though, just that I've definitely come across it once or twice before.

As for names to be wary of, Gerald. I've never met anyone called Gerald who wasn't awful in some way. And just the other day I was reading an article about a guy convicted of some sort of awful crime (the details escape me now) and his name was Jerald - a bad name and bad spelling double whammy.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

In some parts of the world, Attila is actually still a rather common name :eng101:

I know an Attila. He's and older guy, really tall and broad, and he loves to sing karaoke. Of course, Cleveland is absolutely packed with first-generation eastern European immigrants, so there's bound to be an Attila or two floating around.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Back during a summer art program in high school, I knew a dude named Attilio. He went by "At" and frequently signed his name with an @, which I'm still rather fond of, as adolescent affectations go.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I briefly worked with a man named Sanjay Vugina

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Acaila posted:

Lachlan is definitely a good boy name. The only context I'd be wary of it would be at a private school, where the poncier the name, the worse the kid (I have been turned off the name Hugo forever, because the only ones you get nowadays are the worst private school brats)
Casey you are right about though. But they all pale in comparison to Josh (I genuinely winced when I found out an old friend had named his son Josh).

I've never had a problem with anyone called Josh. My brother's name is Josh, and he's a pretty great guy.
Here, Lachlans tend to be the kids who ride motocross (read: their parents were white trash, but now they have enough money to buy their kids motor bikes), and think the funniest thing on earth is making GBS threads on a teacher's desk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Istari posted:

I'm fairly certain you don't know what diminutive means :tipshat: Unless there are folks called Michaelette or something.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm fairly certain you don't know what diminutive means :tipshat: Unless there are folks called Michaelette or something.

You're right; I meant derivative.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jerry Cotton posted:

What? They mean "Mike" or "Mick" or something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutive
http://www.behindthename.com/glossary/view/diminutive

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I tried :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
All the Karens I've ever known have been dirty bitches.