Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Anomandaris posted:

Rob Sanders wrote the amazing Legion of the Damned which is IMHO the best (loyalist) Space Marine book written. His Atlas Infernal on the other hand is quite confusing and probably not everybody's cup of tea.

Bottom line, read Legion of the Damned. There's a sample extract on the Black Library's website here: http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/l/legion-of-the-damned.pdf

This story is about a duel in that stupid thing Perturabo built for extreme fighting contests. What does it have to do with the story of a warplost space marine chapter turned space marine ghost chapter that saves outnumbered IG regiments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
The book is mostly about the Excoriators, an Imperial Fist successor chapter (the Legion of the Damned are also involved obviously but are not the main focus). I should probably have said that in my previous post. Ignore the title and just read the book for what it is. It's really good.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Which shoulder do former Deathwatch members wear the special pad on once they return from their service?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Anomandaris posted:

The book is mostly about the Excoriators, an Imperial Fist successor chapter (the Legion of the Damned are also involved obviously but are not the main focus). I should probably have said that in my previous post. Ignore the title and just read the book for what it is. It's really good.

It is good I enjoyed it and its badass

Espc the scene w the imperial priests and sisters

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Anomandaris posted:

And second unrelated question, is The Damnation of Pythos worth picking up? As in, does it contribute to the Heresy overall or is it just a minor side story that can safely be ignored (like Nemesis)? I was quite dissapointed by Vengeful Spirit lately (predictable, boring and ultimately pointless) and I don't want to repeat the experience.

Damnation is a side story. It does however deal with the Iron Hands (and a couple of Salamanders and Raven Guard) fighting back against the Word Bearers. It's also the story of a Legion dealign with its first daemonic incursion. There's basically nothing on the main plot, but it's good read.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sulecrist posted:

Which shoulder do former Deathwatch members wear the special pad on once they return from their service?

As with all things Marine, it probably varies by chapter. However, since most Marines have their chapter insignia on their left shoulder, it makes sense to replace the right shoulder instead.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

Left. The chapter symbol is always on the right. The reason for this is that the original studded shoulder pads were on the left to absorb incoming fire as the Marine shot his bolter and advanced toward the enemy.

Unfortunately, GW has been kind of lax in enforcing their own fluff (who woulda thunk?)

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 5, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Left. The chapter symbol is always on the right. The reason for this is that the original studded shoulder pads were on the left to absorb incoming fire as the Marine shot his bolter and advanced toward the enemy.

Unfortunately, GW has been kind of lax in enforcing their own fluff (who woulda thunk?)
All my late 90's Blood Angels have it on the left shoulder, because that's how the pictures did it at the time and 12 year old me wasn't arguing. poo poo varies constantly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Whose left are we talking about? The regular (non-deathwatch) power armor has had the chapter symbol on the Marine's left for as long as I've been aware, except in the case where that shoulder pad is studded like you said. Right shoulder pad is usually for squad type or unit markings (again on non-deathwatch, non-terminator armor).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JerryLee posted:

Whose left are we talking about? The regular (non-deathwatch) power armor has had the chapter symbol on the Marine's left for as long as I've been aware, except in the case where that shoulder pad is studded like you said. Right shoulder pad is usually for squad type or unit markings (again on non-deathwatch, non-terminator armor).

Let me put it this way: the chapter marking is supposed to be on the model's right, because the old studded shoulder pads necessitated that. Also, stuff like Terminator honors and Deathwatch shoulder pads go on the model's left.

Like Arquinsiel said though, GW is kind of all over the place with this. I could see the argument for chapter on the left, as that would be the leading shoulder when firing and advancing into combat (assuming you favored your right hand.)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've read it's because they didn't want to offend the machine spirit of the armor by taking off the chapter symbols :tinfoil:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Let me put it this way: the chapter marking is supposed to be on the model's right, because the old studded shoulder pads necessitated that. Also, stuff like Terminator honors and Deathwatch shoulder pads go on the model's left.

Like Arquinsiel said though, GW is kind of all over the place with this. I could see the argument for chapter on the left, as that would be the leading shoulder when firing and advancing into combat (assuming you favored your right hand.)
Actually, something that occurred to me just now, the studded shoulder pads were stated to be cheaper to produce and provided less protection than the flat ones, which is why they had them on the left hand side. Apparently Space Marines are expected to dodge incoming fire from the front and get shot from behind a lot in 2nd ed era publications.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Maybe for the Rogue Trader beakies (and obviously for any modern model that still uses the studded pad) but as far as I can tell the right shoulder is now by default the one for the squad designation (upwards-pointing arrow for tac squad, etc) and the left carries the chapter symbol, unless it's displaced by a more important symbol or by studs.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Tactical-Squad Look at the 360 views if you don't believe me. You can see on the group shot that they all have the tactical arrow on the right pad and the chapter one on the left, except for the random one with an older shoulder plate. This is the most recent release, but it's been like this at least as far back as the fifth edition starter.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I believe you - I was probably remembering some old fluff.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

New Ghosts book confirmed for November!

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I'm extremely happy to hear that!

What I'm not happy about is I'm just about to finish the Night Lords omnibus, I've got everything else by Abnett and good lord I'm not sure what else to try now considering the level of horrible that's going around the Library these days.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

I believe you - I was probably remembering some old fluff.

Yeah sorry if I sperged out on you a bit hard there. Like I said, I know the beakie pattern is different, so that might well have been the fluff when the beakie armor was all there was, but but for most power armor it's been chapter on the left for some time now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sandweed posted:

New Ghosts book confirmed for November!

"Fuckin finally" was pretty much my reaction when I saw that in the BL newsletter.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

berzerkmonkey posted:

I have not read Death World yet though - Catachans are not my favorite IG regiment, so I haven't felt the need to get that book out of the way.

Don't waste your time - it's boring and spends most of the time building up Rambo Sly Marbo only to have him show up for a total of three pages.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cooked Auto posted:

"Fuckin finally" was pretty much my reaction when I saw that in the BL newsletter.

I really enjoy the Ghosts books, but I also wish they were coming to an end.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
So I just finished The Emperor's Gift. 'Dogmatic, mildly autistic potatoes' isn't how I'd expected the Grey Knights to be characterised, although it certainly was interesting to see just how inhuman they are. Also Logan Grimnar is amazing, but that's something I already knew.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They are. I mean the books have been in broad collections with titles, right? "The Founding", "The Saint", and so on. The current set is "The Victory" so clearly there's only 2-3 books left in the thing, tops.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah kinda, even if my reaction was more referring to they're finally releasing a book that's not Heresy related or about Space Marines which are and is actually appealing to me more than anything.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Im not usually a McNeil fan, but ive been reading Priests of Mars and holy poo poo its actually good. Not like good enough not finish, I mean I am legit enjoying it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Waroduce posted:

Im not usually a McNeil fan, but ive been reading Priests of Mars and holy poo poo its actually good. Not like good enough not finish, I mean I am legit enjoying it.

That's good to hear; I've been putting off reading Priests/Lords because it's McNeill, despite wanting to know more about the Mechanicum. Maybe I'll find some time for them over the next month or so.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, it's a really good book. I hear that the sequel isn't that great though. Sometimes I wonder if Graham McNeill is actually a collective of writers - this would explain why his writing is all over the pace in terms of quality.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The sequel didn't grab me as hard. It was okay, but didn't give me the overwhelming feeling of "Holy poo poo, Mcneill wrote this?!" the way that the first one did.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
How is Chris Wraight's new stuff on the Space Wolves, and what's it like compared to the older take by William King?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I found them pretty great. The second one was pretty decent as well contrary to my fears.

It's an interesting take on the Wolves late into the Millennium

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For you losers that dont read the best GW thread out there, a poo poo ton of books are about to go on sale for cheap

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635841&pagenumber=171#post433318891

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I put a bunch of obsolete warhammer army books, warhammer/40k novels, and white dwarf magazines up for sale in SAMart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656866

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Do I read The Outcast Dead, or not?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It was interesting to see random historical call backs, the hunting games the custodes go through and I think they travel through new york at one point, but it is not a good book imo

E: totally skippable

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vigorous sodomy posted:

Do I read The Outcast Dead, or not?

I personally do not recommend it, no. And if you watn to read about Custodes there's some short stories written by better authors out there too.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Cream_Filling posted:

I personally do not recommend it, no. And if you watn to read about Custodes there's some short stories written by better authors out there too.

Can I bet a brief synopsis? The cover art is all over the place, and there's no mention of custodes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vigorous sodomy posted:

Can I bet a brief synopsis? The cover art is all over the place, and there's no mention of custodes.

Copy-pasted from some wiki:
The Outcast Dead were a small group of Renegade Space Marines who belonged to the Traitor Legions and had been part of an Astartes honour guard known as the Crusader Host based on Terra in the days just before the start of the Horus Heresy in the early 31st Millennium. The Crusader Host was comprised of members drawn from all 18 of the Space Marine Legions. When news of the Warmaster Horus' betrayal of the Emperor of Mankind reached Terra on the frigate Eisenstein, the loyalty of all members of those Legions that had sided with Horus was considered suspect by the warriors of the Legio Custodes. The Custodes imprisoned these Astartes within Khangba Marwu, a vast, underground Imperial prison complex deep beneath the Himalayan Mountains also known as 'The Vault'. After breaking free and rescuing the Astropath Kai Zulane from The Vault and escaping from the prison complex, the Outcast Dead proceeded to fight their way across Terra in an attempt to escape back to their respective Legions. In so doing, they ultimately unleashed the secret within Zulane's mind for which he had been imprisoned and which held the key to the future survival of the Imperium of Man in the wake of the Horus Heresy.

It's pretty poorly written and the plot doesn't make a ton of sense. Also if you are a big lore nerd they have a lot of questionable and stupid stuff in addition to the regular silly stuff like people ripping spines out of each other and dumb things like that.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Skarsnik posted:

For you losers that dont read the best GW thread out there, a poo poo ton of books are about to go on sale for cheap

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635841&pagenumber=171#post433318891

I just had to rush to my bookshelf to see if someone had stolen all my stuff. I own all of these, including the Weber books.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

It's pretty poorly written and the plot doesn't make a ton of sense. Also if you are a big lore nerd they have a lot of questionable and stupid stuff in addition to the regular silly stuff like people ripping spines out of each other and dumb things like that.

That synopsis made it sound like an interesting and cool story. Sad to read that it doesn't live up to that expectation.

To anyone who's read the entire HH series thus far: How many of the books actually take place on Terra and of those books how many are worth reading?

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is Redemption Corps by Rob Sanders seen as good? What about The Sundering Omnibus by Ben Counter?

Sramaker fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

AndyElusive posted:

To anyone who's read the entire HH series thus far: How many of the books actually take place on Terra and of those books how many are worth reading?

Shadows of Treachery has two stories set in Terra: The Crimson Fist and The Lightning Tower.

In Tales of Heresy, there are two: Blood Games, which is about the Custodes, and The Last Church, which is... a polemic on religion.

Both books are short story/novella collections, and they're decent enough. That is, the good stories outweigh the bad.