Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well ain't that a bitch. I deserve to eat crow. I figured that the train was sent off course, but no scrapdragon just only ended holding the train up for Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There was a whole thing in the comics about how time flows weirdly when you're talking with the thing inhabiting you or your tool. Shoulda seen it coming.

What should really be surprising is that Boss Leader can also make time drag on with other people.

On a different note, on top of liking this webcomic, I really like knowing where all these avatars are from too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A Sandwiched Nerd is an exquisite descriptor.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

AnonSpore posted:

A Sandwiched Nerd is an exquisite descriptor.

Also a pretty good username.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

RareAcumen posted:

There was a whole thing in the comics about how time flows weirdly when you're talking with the thing inhabiting you or your tool. Shoulda seen it coming.

What should really be surprising is that Boss Leader can also make time drag on with other people.

Not really. Dream time being weird is a pretty common thing. It's why you can dream you did an 8-hour shift at work in the fifteen minutes before you have to get up and go to work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:science: Actually, time in a dream passes at the same rate as in real life.

It's amazing what you can do with research nowadays.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
If you mean the time you actually spend dreaming, then yes. But perception is a different matter all together when it comes to time.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure I understand why this time discussion has come up. Boss Leader flat out stated last page that she had complete control over perceived duration of the dream. Max could have been unconscious for all of five seconds, but BL could make that feel like 50 lifetimes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If you mean the time you actually spend dreaming, then yes. But perception is a different matter all together when it comes to time.

Perceived time in a dream passes at the same rate as in real life.

:science: neuroscience is going crazy places man

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fried Chicken posted:

Man, perceived time in real life doesn't pass at the same rate as in real life.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mystic Mongol posted:

That is rather the point of including the qualifier "perceived", yes :v:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Fried Chicken posted:

Pretty sure perception doesn't work like that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mystic Mongol posted:

Did you know, 1 second on Earth is faster than 1 second on the Sun? I don't mean how you'd perceive it either, time itself is slower on the Sun than it is on Earth.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Pretty sure perception doesn't work like that.

Temporal perception is a function of neuro anatomy. Temporal illusions are a function of psychology. I think you are conflating the two

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Did you know, 1 second on Earth is faster than 1 second on the Sun? I don't mean how you'd perceive it either, time itself is slower on the Sun than it is on Earth.

If I remember this right from when I what learned it, on a very minor level this applies to almost anything! So time between where I am now (sea level) and where I grew up (in the Rocky Mountains) is actually very slightly different. This goes all the way to differences in height between people, though the difference boils down to a decimal point followed by a bunch of zeroes.

Fried Chicken posted:

Temporal perception is a function of neuro anatomy. Temporal illusions are a function of psychology. I think you are conflating the two

Well, I tend to study the latter more so that's very possible. Would you mind explaining the difference?

Edit: I had to look it up, but to explain the way I'm thinking of it, the objective passage of time would be a result of sensation. Regardless of what we think is happening, our bodies are going to have a general idea of what's actually going on and that is passed to the brain in raw form. Perception is then what we actually make of that raw data. That is, though, absolutely the psychological view of things and my neuroscience is rusty.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 8, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Edit: ^^^^^^ that's probably a better way to explain it.

Mystic Mongol posted:

If that were the case you'd drop dead when your brain stopped sending the signals to your heart because it was perceiving the time between beats as longer than it was.

Time perception is a sub cortical process. Y'all are thinking of time illusions which is where the conscious mind distorts the passing of time

Edit 2: yeah, the difference in time on the sun or in orbit is there, if minuscule. It's part of relativity

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 8, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I've never heard it called a time illusion before, but the brain tends to gently caress with the conscious mind a lot. It could know down to an impossible level what time it is, but if it gets distracted and you ask how much time has passed it'll just make poo poo up to get you to go away. That's obviously not exactly how it works, but I find (at least for psychology) it can help to think of the unconscious mind as some rear end in a top hat troll who can and will randomly lie to you because they think it's funny.

Now we know that troll is named Boss Leader. Boom, full circle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Point is, if you count to ten in a dream it takes the same time as counting to ten in real life.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Are you saying Inception lied to me?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I wonder if BL knew that Max would be trapped by his magnet powers when he woke up? After all this is a situation where he would not want them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^ that's probably a better way to explain it.

If that were the case you'd drop dead when your brain stopped sending the signals to your heart because it was perceiving the time between beats as longer than it was.

Time perception is a sub cortical process. Y'all are thinking of time illusions which is where the conscious mind distorts the passing of time

Edit 2: yeah, the difference in time on the sun or in orbit is there, if minuscule. It's part of relativity

Today I have learned that neuroscientists are terrible at naming things.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The brain's an rear end in a top hat, especially when it comes to naming things relating to itself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Psychophysics :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tunicate posted:

Psychophysics :colbert:
Isn't going crazy and throwing things with your mind. The point stands.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Man, now I'm picturing a superpower where the user just calmly discusses the current state of an object and how it needs to change, until it violently explodes into someone's face.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Perception is a conscious mental event. You're taking about sensation of time, not perception of time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Man, now I'm picturing a superpower where the user just calmly discusses the current state of an object and how it needs to change, until it violently explodes into someone's face.

I think someone does that in Words of Radiance.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tunicate posted:

Well, now I'm going to have to read books again.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tunicate posted:

It's not just an object, it's an entire ship.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

New page!

Alt text: the basic-est bluff in isabel's literal book about human vs. dog combat

...So that spirit now has a red spectral color... And Isabel conveniently just lost her spirit... Player 2 start?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cursed Words translation: I WIN

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Isabel good at the fightin'. Gonna fight that dog but good.

Assume she'll throw it off the train.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Prison Warden posted:

It's not just an object, it's an entire ship.

Huh, normally I'm pretty safe reading book spoilers because there are so many series that I'll never get around to, but this is the first time I've accidentally spoiled something on a series that I've just started. Probably should have known the name of the next book beforehand.

Paranatural: is the dogcat now some kind of hippothing?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

Huh, normally I'm pretty safe reading book spoilers because there are so many series that I'll never get around to, but this is the first time I've accidentally spoiled something on a series that I've just started. Probably should have known the name of the next book beforehand.

Paranatural: is the dogcat now some kind of hippothing?

An earlier panel (way earlier, before Max's dream) showed that their entire body is actually one big head under that fur (what we initially saw as their eyes are actually nostrils). Looks kind of dragon-ish.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dolash posted:

Isabel good at the fightin'. Gonna fight that dog but good.

Assume she'll throw it off the train.

Nope it's suplex time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blackheart posted:

Nope it's suplex time.

Nah man, Isabel's a real fighter. It's SPD time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Friday Update!

Alt text: Infinite Death Loop is the name of my trance/screamcore hybrid experimental band

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hellz yeah, a suplex. Oh hey you can see Issac in the last panel.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The coolness of that suplex was immediately neutered by the name she gave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

The coolness of that suplex was immediately neutered by the name she gave it.

If by neutered you mean magnified tenfold then yeah :smug: