Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Ahh finally i get to enter a tournament with out having to go through the brawl for the last spot.

Jazz could you allow teammates to each others email addresses since as some of us don't have plat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cheater.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

fluppet posted:

Jazz could you allow teammates to each others email addresses since as some of us don't have plat?

I've generally tried to keep e-mail addresses private, but I could do this if everyone's okay with it.

Iunnrais posted:

Jazz, it would be much more convenient if we could lower our skills when making our builds so that we don't have to reset the entire fighter every time we want to adjust levels. I mean, you allow us to sell equipment before the round starts...

I could do this, but once a new round starts you'd have to keep whatever skills you had purchased for the rest of the tournament. I'll look into it.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 8, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

In my defense, I'm an idiot with this and if I'm going to run fights I needed to test.

On that note: Can I not have like 12 macros called "Fighter-kicker" and "Fighter-Bitey" and "Fighter-Shieldy" that I can choose from when at character creation screen?

I only see one (just called FIGHTER), and there simply isn't a .mak file of that name in the macro folder.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

fluppet posted:

Personally, I hate using my email, but I guess you can send me one at fieari.keilin@gmail.com, which I mostly use as a spam-magnet these days.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

In my defense, I'm an idiot with this and if I'm going to run fights I needed to test.

On that note: Can I not have like 12 macros called "Fighter-kicker" and "Fighter-Bitey" and "Fighter-Shieldy" that I can choose from when at character creation screen?

I only see one (just called FIGHTER), and there simply isn't a .mak file of that name in the macro folder.

You can have as many macros as you like in your macro folder.

Control-L to load a macro, and Control-P to play it.

It does seem like Dwarf Fortress does some kind of caching or something with the macros, so if you overwrite them or add new ones, you might have to exit the program and restart it to get the new macros to appear in the Ctrl-L list.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Do you want me to email you or something? I dont want to poo poo up this thread with replies about this, but I've tried closing and even rebooting my PC and dont see any change in the 3 macros that I have showing in DF vs the 10 in my macro file.

Edit: It pulls the name of the macro from the first line within the macro file. Need to change it there and not the actual file name.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

Do you want me to email you or something? I dont want to poo poo up this thread with replies about this, but I've tried closing and even rebooting my PC and dont see any change in the 3 macros that I have showing in DF vs the 10 in my macro file.

Edit: It pulls the name of the macro from the first line within the macro file. Need to change it there and not the actual file name.

I just shot you an e-mail, but it looks like you've figured things out.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I can't seem to get archery to work. Arming someone with a bow and some arrows seems to result in a pile of arrows on the ground and a soon-to-be-dead archer charging the other guy.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

apostateCourier posted:

I can't seem to get archery to work. Arming someone with a bow and some arrows seems to result in a pile of arrows on the ground and a soon-to-be-dead archer charging the other guy.

You'll need to put points in the associated skill (bow/crossbow) as well as some archery skill, otherwise your archers will miss almost every time.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

You'll need to put points in the associated skill (bow/crossbow) as well as some archery skill, otherwise your archers will miss almost every time.

I mean they never even bothered to shoot, they just dropped the arrows on the floor and charged with the bow.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Team 9! We must strategize! I vote that we name ourselves Team Welcome to the Zoo, for obvious reasons.

I'm assuming that the obvious choice will be our shooty-person while the others wade into the fray?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, Team 7 is me, Tarezax, and Frozen Flame.

Any ideas for the name?

fake edit: Hooray! I'm in the team with someone who gave their fighter platinum armor! :suicide:

e2: Please PM me to discuss what to do with our fighters.

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 8, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

apostateCourier posted:

I mean they never even bothered to shoot, they just dropped the arrows on the floor and charged with the bow.

Hmmm, I haven't seen any of that in my tests. Is the fighter large enough to properly use the weapon in question? For example, kobolds are too small to fire crossbows, and gremlins and dark gnomes are too small to use either bows or crossbows.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

To one-up that, we have Slade armor on our team.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Hmmm, I haven't seen any of that in my tests. Is the fighter large enough to properly use the weapon in question? For example, kobolds are too small to fire crossbows, and gremlins and dark gnomes are too small to use either bows or crossbows.

Kobold with a bow.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Incidentally, fluppet and goatface, if you have a better suggestion for our team name than Lucky 13, let me know, or feel free to just unilaterally change it.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

apostateCourier posted:

Kobold with a bow.

If you're creating them using a site-generated macro, it should just work. If you're creating the fighters manually in the arena, you'll need to make sure that the arrows are in a stack (using the +/- keys to determine the amount), like so:

I've been testing and the only time I've seen archers drop their weapons is when their hands or arms get injured. Could this be what is happening?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

That did it. Didn't know how to make a stack of arrows.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

my dad posted:

OK, Team 7 is me, Tarezax, and Frozen Flame.

Any ideas for the name?

fake edit: Hooray! I'm in the team with someone who gave their fighter platinum armor! :suicide:

Well there's still time to change that...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some people are taking this test tournament very seriously.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

goatface posted:

Some people are taking this test tournament very seriously.

Very seriously indeed. I don't want to bore the spectators. :colbert:

It can be changed, as frozen_flame said, and I figured this was the best way to warn people what not to do.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

my dad posted:

I figured this was the best way to warn people what not to do.

Bullshit, platinum armor would be legit. When my troll showed up sporting a mostly-full set of silver armor and almost no armor-user skill, that was a hugely popular fight. Someone even made a comic. :colbert:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

His eminence, Mayor of Nilbog, will find a use for the greased-up mephits assigned to Him. May they bask in his magnificence briefly before they are pulped into kobold paste.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 8, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Oh, by the way, you can all place bets now, even if you don't have a fighter in this tournament.

If you're into the whole betting thing, anyway.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Hey, Duckaerobics--I think you need to modify your moleman Sunny a bit. 19 out of 20 fights between your fighter and mine (as they stand right now on the website) have ended with my guy winning, and the one loss resulted from a lucky fractured skull that didn't even kill Pulver; it only stunned him. It took two more hits to the head to actually kill him.

Your deaths mostly come from all your limbs being crushed into paste before you can do any real damage. About half the time, my fighter isn't even wounded before the fight ends.

If I were you, I would skip out on some of that expensive armor and put more points into skills, especially Fighting--you don't have much in the way of skills and it really shows.

Edit: my throwaway email is cth501@hotmail.com if either you or Neurion (One-Eyed Willie) wanna talk builds in more depth.

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 8, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

King Cohort posted:

Hey, Duckaerobics--I think you need to modify your moleman Sunny a bit. 19 out of 20 fights between your fighter and mine (as they stand right now on the website) have ended with my guy winning, and the one loss resulted from a lucky fractured skull that didn't even kill Pulver; it only stunned him. It took two more hits to the head to actually kill him.

Your deaths mostly come from all your limbs being crushed into paste before you can do any real damage. About half the time, my fighter isn't even wounded before the fight ends.

If I were you, I would skip out on some of that expensive armor and put more points into skills, especially Fighting--you don't have much in the way of skills and it really shows.

Check out this guy giving away all his team tactics.

*scribbles frantically in notebook*

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

Check out this guy giving away all his team tactics.

*scribbles frantically in notebook*

Joke's on you, it was all a ruse. I'm respeccing to unarmored grand master wrestling just before the matches start. Nobody can stop us now!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
For the sports impaired, like myself, could someone illuminate the following abbreviations listed on the standings page?

Pct Stk GB PF PA

(I get that W and L are wins and losses)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Iunnrais posted:

For the sports impaired, like myself, could someone illuminate the following abbreviations listed on the standings page?

Pct Stk GB PF PA

(I get that W and L are wins and losses)

Pct = winning percentage
Stk = current streak of wins or losses
GB = games behind the first-place team
PF = points for, i.e. total number of kills by the team (used as a tiebreaker)
PA = points against, i.e. total number of times team members have been killed (used as a tiebreaker)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Team 11, that's ZeeToo and perpetulance, I have limited net access until Sunday night but will try and keep an eye on this thread on my dodgy old phone. If you come up with a kickass strategy and want me to build my fighter a certain way I will do so, I suspect the main feasible builds for a dark gnome are either ranged expert or the default small-melee-fighter build of minimal armour and maximal dodge.

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Still getting 40 arrows in the macro, not that it helps when the guy gets off one shot before getting mauled.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

perpetulance posted:

Still getting 40 arrows in the macro, not that it helps when the guy gets off one shot before getting mauled.

Good catch, I'll fix the ammunition count.

Archers seem to fire slower now than they did in DF2010. They can be useful hanging back in support as a member of a team, but I'm not sure how viable they are in one-on-one combat now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A new age of the platinum crowbow-hammer may be upon us.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Oh, great, my team of small folk is going to be fighting the one with the Minotaur. Seems we won't be winning round one!

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
After some rigorous testing, the all-Platinum Armour build is bound to be successful!

...ish.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In fact, we will name team 7 Platinum Helms

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh, great, my team of small folk is going to be fighting the one with the Minotaur. Seems we won't be winning round one!

On the plus side, two Kobolds and a Goblin will have a lot of points to invest.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

Haystack posted:

Silverminnow, Ablative. My fellow team 16-ers. We need to talk. Specifically, we need to talk about what we're gonna name our team, because that is a thing that we can do. I suggest Team Sexting, because I am mentally twelve.

Oh, also I guess we should coordinate builds a little bit. Want to do that over emails?

I don't really care what our team name is, yours sounds fine.

Here are a few more names to think on: Sixteen Scandals, Perfect Squares, Horribly Average

My e-mail is mercuryminnow@gmail.com if you and Ablative wanna talk any kind of strategy or more about names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

AJ_Impy posted:

On the plus side, two Kobolds and a Goblin will have a lot of points to invest.

Yeah, I felt stressed for points making my Serpentman and looking at how less points the bigger dudes get I see why so many of them walk into the arena basically naked except for their weapon.

• Locked thread