Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Sindai posted:

You can tell that from the fact that his name is "Sweet Face Handsome Mask."

So is he wearing a mask? Like Mission Impossible style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask is, like, the best name yet. Just because it's the guy straight up saying "yeah I'm a dickhead motherfucker but everyone likes me anyway because I act like a chill dude."

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy moly, Sweet Face Handsome Mask is one rotten to the core mother fucker.

Justice must be served

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

AgentHaiTo posted:

So is he wearing a mask? Like Mission Impossible style.

It's more based off a concept in Japan where outwardly you wear a different face than how you really feel.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

logger posted:

It's more based off a concept in Japan where outwardly you wear a different face than how you really feel.

HMSM confirmed for evil SMT character.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Eh, I don't find him that bad really. If I walked into what was once a giant metropolis that was completely and utterly laid to waste and a bunch of what were supposed to be the premiere heroes of the world were standing around going "Well shucks, it happened pretty fast" I'd be pissed to. I probably wouldn't give much consideration to the random alien fuckers who had just wiped out the city either, especially if few to none of the civilians had time to get to shelters. Like he's definitely got a chip on his shoulder, but he is standing in the crumbling ruins of what was earlier this morning a major city.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cafel posted:

Eh, I don't find him that bad really. If I walked into what was once a giant metropolis that was completely and utterly laid to waste and a bunch of what were supposed to be the premiere heroes of the world were standing around going "Well shucks, it happened pretty fast" I'd be pissed to. I probably wouldn't give much consideration to the random alien fuckers who had just wiped out the city either, especially if few to none of the civilians had time to get to shelters. Like he's definitely got a chip on his shoulder, but he is standing in the crumbling ruins of what was earlier this morning a major city.

Yeah, but he seems far less concerned about the city than how this might effect his and the hero organization's reputation. All in all he comes off as pretty skeezy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

If you guys want to read more of ONE's work but don't wanna spoil One Punch Man, check out Mob Psycho 100.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653424

It's the work that ONE does for a living and comes out weekly, as opposed to his hobby One Punch Man, which updates about as frequently as Berserk.

IMO it's just as good or better than OPM.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah he's bad because he decided not to join because he found the drama shooting more important.

So gently caress him.

edit: Granted most of the heroes are egotistical assholes but at least they tried. What does he do? Backcoach and lecture after all poo poo is said and done. He's a prick. :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Terror Sweat posted:

If you guys want to read more of ONE's work but don't wanna spoil One Punch Man, check out Mob Psycho 100.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653424

It's the work that ONE does for a living and comes out weekly, as opposed to his hobby One Punch Man, which updates about as frequently as Berserk.

IMO it's just as good or better than OPM.

Mob psycho is his full time serious mangaka hobby as opposed to his OPM part time mangaka hobby.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 27, 2014

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
New side-stories up on Batoto. They expanded one side-story and added another one. Saitama is truly the hero that we need.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

jwang posted:

New side-stories up on Batoto. They expanded one side-story and added another one. Saitama is truly the hero that we need.
It took me a while to find the updated files, so here's some links for 'em. Things one cannot buy and Salmon.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
New link for Salmon: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/262365/onepunch-man_ch29.5_by_nerieru-scans

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Salmon will always be hilarious. Things one cannot buy was pretty drat great too, though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This poo poo is real?

What the hell, Japan?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Say Nothing posted:

This poo poo is real?

What the hell, Japan?

That poo poo clearly has not blown the gently caress up yet

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Welcome the world of architecture and yes, it's too much even for the Japanese.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Funeral Suspenders is definitely my favourite character now

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

I hope that guy returns as a hero.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

You know, this is amazing.

They took the ultimate mary sue, a guy who seems to be literally and figuratively invincible, and made him somehow interesting.

How far ahead of Murata's version is the series by ONE?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
An entire arc.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

khy posted:

They took the ultimate mary sue, a guy who seems to be literally and figuratively invincible, and made him somehow interesting.

One mini-arc and one full-size arc, plus a couple one-offs in there.

Also I don't know if Saitama counts as a mary sue since it's pretty clearly shown that being as overwhelmingly powerful as he is is not remotely desirable. It's basically The One Interesting Superman Story, except ONE is actually managing to work awesome fights against bad guys into telling it without it feeling weird or contradictory.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BlitzBlast posted:

An entire arc.

Realistically it's like two, there's a bunch of slice of life hijinks, *then* the next big arc. Which is...a pretty big arc that would eat up quite a bit of time.

Shugojin posted:

One mini-arc and one full-size arc, plus a couple one-offs in there.

Also I don't know if Saitama counts as a mary sue since it's pretty clearly shown that being as overwhelmingly powerful as he is is not remotely desirable. It's basically The One Interesting Superman Story, except ONE is actually managing to work awesome fights against bad guys into telling it without it feeling weird or contradictory.

He is basically what Superman would be if he actually was a human, rather than absorbing human ideals from the outside. He can bitch and moan, and he's incredibly focused on the tedium of his daily life, but he is absolutely the greatest hero on Earth. Both as a question of strength, and morally.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Shugojin posted:

He gained powers beyond that of the most incredible heroes the world has ever known, beyond cyborgs and telekinetics, beyond all others. By running 10km and doing 100 pushups, situps, squats per day. He has no visible weaknesses beyond super sale day or whatever. He can take on the most powerful beings shown thus far in the comic with a single punch. And to quote the most powerful being shown thus far, he was still holding back.

He's an interesting character and I love him to death but I think he meets almost every requirement to be a mary sue.

I'm not saying that as a bad thing. He's the single greatest one ever, because he manages to be INTERESTING and fun and the audience actually manages to join his side and hope that each and every fight he gets in will manage to be exciting for him. And when it isn't we don't feel bored with the character, we sympathize with him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah he's too three-dimensional to be a mary sue

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Please see Mahouka or SAO for current actual examples of Mary Sue.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Mary Sue" is usually a useless term, but if you must argue about it, remember that it applies to a certain kind of badly-written character, and Saitama is not written badly.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Saitama could easily take over the Earth and get all the "sales" he wanted. But he's kind of dumb and also not a total dick, so he keeps staying in his crappy little apartment and only stepping out for cheap stuff at the grocery store or to save the Earth.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

khy posted:

He has no visible weaknesses

Being completely bald is rather visible.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
His will is weak to good sales.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
He became an official hero to finally have some cash since quitting his job yet his massive power and his own dumbness (and, on occasions, his nobleness) lead him to not actually earn that much money compared to everyone else. There's only two guys that actually like him. That's enough for him to not be a "mary sue" though that term is pretty outdated at this point.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Saitama is not a Mary Sue, because the thing that makes a Mary Sue bad is that all of their problems get solved for them without any real drama or effort. Saitama's problem is not the monsters, it's the fact that he is bored with life. We as readers are always hoping he will find an enemy strong enough to put up a good fight, but not because the fights are boring or whatever but because we want to see Saitama finally find some satisfaction. He is also not a Mary Sue because Mary Sues are almost always universally loved within their setting but Saitama can't get anyone but Genos and Bang to see how strong he is. And hell, Genos reveres Saitama for his strength and that's not what Saitama really wants. Mary Sues have everything go their way and it sucks any drama out of the story, but there is plenty of drama in OPM.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

An entire arc.

It's more like two arcs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's this thread, it is the Mary Sues

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

khy posted:

About 50 chapters, but Murata likes to expand and redraw a lot, not to mention the side stories that they create for this version

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

It's this thread, it is the Mary Sues

No one who uses that term has ever understood what it meant and that goes double for anyone stupid enough to use it today.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

About 50 chapters, but Murata likes to expand and redraw a lot, not to mention the side stories that they create for this version

How often do new chapters get released? Is it a weekly thing or just 'whenever'?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

khy posted:

How often do new chapters get released? Is it a weekly thing or just 'whenever'?

Whenever someone ruffles through his trash to find one of his many rewrites. Dude does not stop redoing chapters.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New chapter

That was a bad idea Genos :haw:

khy posted:

Whenever, at the end of each chapter Murata give an estimated for the next chapter but isn't rare for him to retouch chapters more than once or get sidetracked by something else, so you're best keeping track of this thread to get the new chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I was hoping Saitama would knock out stupid jerk loli and anyone else who mouthed off to him for saving the world. Shows what I know about his personality.