Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I honestly like Bryan's reblog of the tumblr post where he adds "poop gets real"

Boy did poop get real! Though Bolin and Mako's scenes were some of my favorites (same with Korra and Asami's teamwork tho) Bolin and the Red Lotus need to hang out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I still can't believe they just straight up showed somebody getting horrifically asphyxiated to death. :stare:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If Star Wars did it in 1979 and got only a PG rating, so can LoK in 2014. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rincewind posted:

I still can't believe they just straight up showed somebody getting horrifically asphyxiated to death. :stare:

This was the show with the murder/suicide, right?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rincewind posted:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Potsticker posted:

This was the show with the murder/suicide, right?

Yeah, but even then all you actually saw was an explosion.

I mean, like, I'm not complaining or anything, this was a fantastic episode. I'm just all like, :stare:.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I still dislike they had to have Zaheer say darkness instead of death. It's only a single word but it just really took me out of the moment.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, but even then all you actually saw was an explosion.

I mean, like, I'm not complaining or anything, this was a fantastic episode. I'm just all like, :stare:.

She didn't die, though. Just "taken down" and "defeated."

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Potsticker posted:

She didn't die, though. Just "taken down" and "defeated."

It'd be pretty hilarious if that were literally true and they find her in a dungeon in the last episode or something. :v:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rincewind posted:

It'd be pretty hilarious if that were literally true and they find her in a dungeon in the last episode or something. :v:
That is the worst possible thing they could do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It could work if the earth queen learned some kind of lesson at being on the receiving end of cruelty and mistreatment.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

It could work if the earth queen learned some kind of lesson at being on the receiving end of cruelty and mistreatment.

But that's not nearly as mature as killing her with one of the worst tvtropes murder-bending techniques that folks sperg about :downs:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That is the worst possible thing they could do.

Then it's a guaranteed bet!

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Leaving the Earth Queen alive would just make it really confusing about when they actually intended to kill characters. It's like how when Jet died there were still people convinced that he must be alive because it was never explicitly stated that he died. If you bring the Earth Queen back then we get to deal with people debating that Amon and Tarlock are still alive, or any other character that died off-screen.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Barlow posted:

Leaving the Earth Queen alive would just make it really confusing about when they actually intended to kill characters. It's like how when Jet died there were still people convinced that he must be alive because it was never explicitly stated that he died. If you bring the Earth Queen back then we get to deal with people debating that Amon and Tarlock are still alive, or any other character that died off-screen.

Turns out Sokka's only "gone" in the sense of being on a lengthy vacation on Whale Tail Island!

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
So, if the Red Lotus doesn't intend to kill Korra, what exactly are they going to do with her? Doesn't seem like she could swayed to their point of view.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Genocyber posted:

I still dislike they had to have Zaheer say darkness instead of death. It's only a single word but it just really took me out of the moment.

That was one of the worst mental speed bumps I've ever had. I actually had to rewind to listen to the line again.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rincewind posted:

This would be consistent with previous seasons and the previous show. When has someone ever been executed in an Avatar cartoon?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Rincewind posted:

Turns out Sokka's only "gone" in the sense of being on a lengthy vacation on Whale Tail Island!

It was really strange that Sokka's death coincided with the sudden reappearance of Wang Fire, international man of mystery! Oh well, I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

But that's not nearly as mature as killing her with one of the worst tvtropes murder-bending techniques that folks sperg about :downs:
Murder-bending is only tvtropes idiot grimdark dumb when it's being used solely to be "EXTREME" rather than serve a narrative point.
Vacuum bending does two things:
1. Function as a perversion of the sacred art of Airbending that shows just how far Zaheer has gone.
2. It is so brutal that even though the Earth Queen has been a two-dimensional tyrant up to this point, we still watch what happens and know that no one deserves to die like that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^Also this. The vacuum bending (or something like it) needed to happen because it serves to illustrate how far removed Zaheer is from air nomad teachings. He uses a brutish, offensive style of airbending as compared to Tenzin's more graceful movements, uses air nomad teaching as a justification to cause chaos rather than promote harmony, and uses the only bending art that's been shown to have no killing moves in a lethal manner. The scene was actually much less about the Earth Queen and more about characterizing Zaheer.

TheModernAmerican posted:

That was one of the worst mental speed bumps I've ever had. I actually had to rewind to listen to the line again.

The delivery was simply too slow. It gave the viewer enough time to complete the sentence in their heads before Zaheer finished, hence the dissonance.

It's weird too because I was going back and rewatching AtLA, they have no problem with this. When Aang goes apeshit in episode 3, Sokka explicitly says: "he found out firebenders killed Gyatso!" Katara also explicitly tells Aang that the fire nation "killed my mother." And this is back very early season one, before the show had any cred to speak of. So what happened? Did the censors just not care until the series was popular?

Sydin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 8, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

This would be consistent with previous seasons and the previous show. When has someone ever been executed in an Avatar cartoon?

Well, I can't think of any executions off-hand, but characters have died (off-screen, in backstories, shortly after the camera cuts away, etc.) in droves since Season 1 of ATLA-- Katara and Sokka's mom, Gyatso (nothing like finding the murdered skeleton of your father figure in like season one of your show), Jet, Tarrlok, Amon, Unalaq, etc., etc.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's possible I'm being a bit too unforgiving toward the death because it reminded me a lot of that loving laughable murder-suicide from season 1 which really was one of the most egregious "WE'RE BEING MATURE" things I've ever seen in anything.

I still feel it was incredibly unnecessary and I could have done without them canonizing something I can't stand hearing people sperg over.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Sydin posted:

^Also this. The vacuum bending (or something like it) needed to happen because it serves to illustrate how far removed Zaheer is from air nomad teachings. He uses a brutish, offensive style of airbending as compared to Tenzin's more graceful movements, uses air nomad teaching as a justification to cause chaos rather than promote harmony, and uses the only bending art that's been shown to have no killing moves in a lethal manner. The scene was actually much less about the Earth Queen and more about characterizing Zaheer.

The delivery was simply too slow. It gave the viewer enough time to complete the sentence in their heads before Zaheer finished, hence the dissonance.

It's weird too because I was going back and rewatching AtLA, they have no problem with this. When Aang goes apeshit in episode 3, Sokka explicitly says: "he found out firebenders killed Gyatso!" Katara also explicitly tells Aang that the fire nation "killed my mother." And this is back very early season one, before the show had any cred to speak of. So what happened? Did the censors just not care until the series was popular?

I feel like, if censorship is in play (and it probably is), the rules must be something more complex than just plain not being able to mention killing/dying since I'm sure they mention it repeatedly throughout both ATLA and Korra, but then there's also lots of awkward euphemisms like "ending" or "taking out" people. I feel like at one point they even described the same death both ways at different points in a single Korra episode, but I can't remember which one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's possible I'm being a bit too unforgiving toward the death because it reminded me a lot of that loving laughable murder-suicide from season 1 which really was one of the most egregious "WE'RE BEING MATURE" things I've ever seen in anything.

I still feel it was incredibly unnecessary and I could have done without them canonizing something I can't stand hearing people sperg over.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree and say that Tarrlok's murder-suicide was the perfect end to one of the best characters to come out of Legend of Korra.

I wonder if we're going to get to see Tenzin's reaction when he learns that Airbending was used to kill someone in cold blood.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 8, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree and say that Tarrlok's murder-suicide was the perfect end to one of the best characters to come out of Legend of Korra.

I wonder if we're going to get to see Tenzin's reaction when he learns that Airbending was used to kill someone in cold blood.

"I can't believe the teachings of our culture were used to defeat someone in cold blood!"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't see how the murder-suicide is being edgy mature since it's fairly sudden and soft-spoken. One moment they're driving away the next *BOOM*, and then it quickly cuts away.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Genocyber posted:

I don't see how the murder-suicide is being edgy mature since it's fairly sudden and soft-spoken. One moment they're driving away the next *BOOM*, and then it quickly cuts away.

The fact that it happens at all with no narrative reasoning that makes sense other than to tie those characters up after they got cleared for more episodes. Like everything else in season 1, it's the product of what two pretty poor writers think makes a mature narrative without actually understanding what makes the things they're trying to use mature subject matter in the first place.

Season 1 is a legitimately hollow piece of work.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 8, 2014

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Perhaps Standards and Practices are weird about this, something of the incomplete information kind. Like doctor confidentiality, if I know X is a patient of doctor Y, I can't know his condition, and if I know some patient has condition Z then the doctor cannot reveal the person's name. So if you see someone die, they can't say it explicitely; or if they say someone died, you're not allowed to see the death. It probably has to do with reproducibility. On the plus side, vacuum bending the air out of someone's lungs is non-reproducible in real life, so they can actually show that. Unlike slicing the head of melon lord. I remember a Gargoyles' episode where you see someone essentially burn alive after striking a magical orb thing, because you couldn't have Macbeth strike the guy with a sword and kill him directly (as that's reproducible). Perhaps if you see someone suffocate to death by magical means, and they explicitely say "well the Earth Queen died", then that's a no-no because you can suffocate someone by other means than fictional airbending, so death by suffocation becomes reproducible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sydin posted:

Well those mentioned killing in the past tense, not the present or future so it had already happened and I think, for whatever reason, the censors are fine with that.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Jorghnassen posted:

Perhaps Standards and Practices are weird about this, something of the incomplete information kind. Like doctor confidentiality, if I know X is a patient of doctor Y, I can't know his condition, and if I know some patient has condition Z then the doctor cannot reveal the person's name. So if you see someone die, they can't say it explicitely; or if they say someone died, you're not allowed to see the death. It probably has to do with reproducibility. On the plus side, vacuum bending the air out of someone's lungs is non-reproducible in real life, so they can actually show that. Unlike slicing the head of melon lord. I remember a Gargoyles' episode where you see someone essentially burn alive after striking a magical orb thing, because you couldn't have Macbeth strike the guy with a sword and kill him directly (as that's reproducible). Perhaps if you see someone suffocate to death by magical means, and they explicitely say "well the Earth Queen died", then that's a no-no because you can suffocate someone by other means than fictional airbending, so death by suffocation becomes reproducible.

Yeah the censorship rules for television make no goddamn sense and probably the reason this is episode has weird lines.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

We also did see Wan pass away last season. Labored breathing and then he's gone. We've seen death on the show. Maybe that was the trade off for the murder suicide in S1. Can't say terms that reference death directly. I dunno.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I feel like some very specific line-skirting was happening with the Earth Queen. They showed her being asphyxiated but they carefully panned upwards just before she actually collapsed and died. I feel like the rules are probably something like...

1. If the death happens offscreen, you can refer to it as death and have it be from anything.
2. If the death happens onscreen, you are only allowed to show so much of it (no blood or visible injury, no showing the actual moment of death unless it is a non-violent passing like Wan's), the results must be implied but not explicitly stated (so vulnerable young minds can pretend they lived), and it cannot involve anything that young people could imitate (pretty hard for the average kid to breathbend).

Little thing I noticed on second watch: the camels tied to the tree with Zuko's dragon are looking at it like :stare: and standing as far away as possible.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Spergatory posted:

I feel like some very specific line-skirting was happening with the Earth Queen. They showed her being asphyxiated but they carefully panned upwards just before she actually collapsed and died. I feel like the rules are probably something like...

1. If the death happens offscreen, you can refer to it as death and have it be from anything.
2. If the death happens onscreen, you are only allowed to show so much of it (no blood or visible injury, no showing the actual moment of death unless it is a non-violent passing like Wan's), the results must be implied but not explicitly stated (so vulnerable young minds can pretend they lived), and it cannot involve anything that young people could imitate (pretty hard for the average kid to breathbend).

Little thing I noticed on second watch: the camels tied to the tree with Zuko's dragon are looking at it like :stare: and standing as far away as possible.

That sounds pretty spot on from the show. Like when Roku died, we see the moment as he's enveloped by smoke and then the cut away to Aang being born.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

The fact that it happens at all with no narrative reasoning that makes sense other than to tie those characters up after they got cleared for more episodes. Like everything else in season 1, it's the product of what two pretty poor writers think makes a mature narrative without actually understanding what makes the things they're trying to use mature subject matter in the first place.

Season 1 is a legitimately hollow piece of work.

Tarrlok's life at that point was pretty much over as far as he was concerned. He bending was gone, his reputation was poo poo, essentially everything he had worked in his life for, before and after starting over was now completely worthless.

People have killed themselves for less. Taking out his rear end in a top hat brother was probably a plus to him after everything that had happened.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tarrlok's life at that point was pretty much over as far as he was concerned. He bending was gone, his reputation was poo poo, essentially everything he had worked in his life for, before and after starting over was now completely worthless.

People have killed themselves for less. Taking out his rear end in a top hat brother was probably a plus to him after everything that had happened.
Having just watched that episode again, it's a little more than that. After his life's work had been cut down, he got to watch as his brother essentially tried the same thing but even worse, and then during the escape his brother was making empty promises that they'd go somewhere else and try doing it again. They don't know how to do anything else. If you watch closely enough, the whole thing has a very Of Mice and Men vibe; Noatak is making promises of their bright future together, but obviously knows what's up given that he starts to cry while Tarlok's opening the gas tank.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

Having just watched that episode again, it's a little more than that. After his life's work had been cut down, he got to watch as his brother essentially tried the same thing but even worse, and then during the escape his brother was making empty promises that they'd go somewhere else and try doing it again. They don't know how to do anything else. If you watch closely enough, the whole thing has a very Of Mice and Men vibe; Noatak is making promises of their bright future together, but obviously knows what's up given that he starts to cry while Tarlok's opening the gas tank.

Exactly, it wasn't about punishing his brother or getting revenge, they had reunited and were still ruined by the memory and upbringing of their father and there wasn't any real way forward. Being able to be together again at the end was the best they could've hoped for.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm glad we're back to the end of season 1 style of attributing things to narrative and characterization moments that either flatout don't exist as presented or were poorly done and made no sense to begin with. Especially when Tarrlok himself was a mess of a loving character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well c'mon let's not
:razz:
blow it out of proportion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Well c'mon let's not