Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't believe you, everything I know and think about Texas is what I see in western movies. You guys all get around via horses and have sixshooter showdowns in front of the saloon with tumbleweeds blowing, right?

Yes this is 100% accurate. Just got back from tha waterin hole, shot myself a feller what was lookin at my spit cup funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Epic High Five posted:

If you want "people getting gunned down outside of houses of ill-repute" you want Atlanta, Georga

They drive cars to get there though, not that your average Atlantian is any less lethal with a car than with a gun

I dunno. Living in Atlanta didn't scare me as much as Miami. Even during Freaknik.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inimicul posted:

I dunno. Living in Atlanta didn't scare me as much as Miami. Even during Freaknik.

Yeah I'll give you that, never lived in Florida and I'm actually living in the midwest now so I get all my news secondhand and when I visit.

All things considered, it wouldn't surprise me that Miami was worse

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a bunch of relatives in Texas.

They do basically all sound like that.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't believe you, everything I know and think about Texas is what I see in western movies. You guys all get around via horses and have sixshooter showdowns in front of the saloon with tumbleweeds blowing, right?

I live in downtown Austin and can confirm that I've been cut-off in traffic by a horse.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, to be fair I have been ticketed by a horse cop before. Not a proud moment.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

metasynthetic posted:

Yeah, to be fair I have been ticketed by a horse cop before. Not a proud moment.

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Neigh!"

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Some of the writing is really bad and voice overs are even worse, but one of my favorite bits was a sequence of Omnidyne testing missions where the Omnidyne rep was basically a Nexus modder. POSITIVE FEEDBACK ONLY PLEASE, if it's not working it's your fault.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Fina posted:

Some of the writing is really bad and voice overs are even worse, but one of my favorite bits was a sequence of Omnidyne testing missions where the Omnidyne rep was basically a Nexus modder. POSITIVE FEEDBACK ONLY PLEASE, if it's not working it's your fault.

I found the Omnidyne tester unironically hilarious.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

dromer posted:

Aero has a brazilian accent.

As for worst script: I'd probably say Cerrado Plains has the worst script. For the best I'd say Nutretics.
No, Aero has an Aero accent. Red5 has even said it isn't a Brazilian accent. They've talked about it before on how the voice actress created her own accent and they liked it so it stuck. If it bothers you, just consider it a future regional accent.

JonusRockweller posted:

Last time Nalin tested it on me it was only effective while I was running, bringing me down to about 1/4th speed for maybe 0.2 seconds till one of us got out of range. (Not worth it)
It was pretty bad. I originally got it because I thought it would make an interesting build. The snare is powerful, but it is close range and goes away once you leave the area of effect. As a Tigerclaw running at 11-13m/s, it was over and done with before I even knew people were getting snared, which is why I originally tested it with Jonus (I didn't believe it actually worked).

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Dr_Gee posted:

Aero being a sanctimonious prig starts to get really grating eventually. Especially when she rattles stuff off like, "People need to get used to this being war :colbert:" and then complains about NPCs hiring you to kill random assistants who are stealing secret military tech.

At least she doesn't laugh as much, "Heh-heh". Doesn't stop me from still hearing it every time she talks though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I'm just glad I don't have to hear those loving bandit leaders anymore and even though the same "voice actor" does the voices for the Blood Kings not having to hear that stupid line about red beans repeated for all eternity really makes my gaming experience better. Same goes for El Terremoto and I was super happy I got to kill him in the end.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
"You killed Billy!"

^--- Favorite line so far.

Overall I've actually enjoyed the voice acting and story, but I fully admit I may just have low standards.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Rylek posted:

"You killed Billy!"

^--- Favorite line so far.

Overall I've actually enjoyed the voice acting and story, but I fully admit I may just have low standards.

I look at most of it as tongue in cheek bs, not some Serious Business immersion crap. I mean my firecat wears hotpants, so I don't exactly have high standards.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
What the hell happened to this thread? Everyone knows in the event of a giant meteor shower wiping out most of the world's population that Texans would be the only survivors and they would move to Brazil. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Don't suppose there's a mod which cleans up gamepad compatibility by making the UI a little cleaner, is there? Game's pretty chill when I'm just slumped in my chair shooting dudes.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't suppose there's a mod which cleans up gamepad compatibility by making the UI a little cleaner, is there? Game's pretty chill when I'm just slumped in my chair shooting dudes.

I'm not sure it's what you mean by "cleaner" but you can go into the interface options and resize, move, or disable just about everything. You can then rebind anything you like on the controller for easy 1-8s. I haven't seen any addons for it though.

CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?
I'm really surprised that the amount of resources you get from tornadoes hasn't been brought down a bit to match the nerf to thumper mining. Seems like there is no reason to use a thumper when you can get 3k+ iron for one tornado

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I just picked up Recluse for 3.6k, I am one with the fart clouds, they complete me.

So far it's fun as hell, creeping death and evacuate are real cool, but I don't really see much use in kinetic shot. What should I fill my 3 with? Healing wave?

CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?
I use poison ball in my third, once you get the perk that heals you when you deal poison damage you want to start stacking as many poison abilities as possible

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Get a really nice Poison Trail and be amazed at the carnage. It's so damned useful in so many places. Especially places where you don't want to use the primary.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Is the Recluse still considered the best frame for both survivability and offense? Didn't someone say that they were nerfed in the last patch?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Apple Craft posted:

Is the Recluse still considered the best frame for both survivability and offense? Didn't someone say that they were nerfed in the last patch?

The poison from the Crossbows alt-fire no longer stacks, so yeah it was a pretty big nerf.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Last patch with the gigantic loving thump nerf completely killed any interest I had in the game. Spending 10 minutes to hunt for a node that gets tapped out in 1 go just aint fun. If they are willing to drop such fun killing nerfs post-launch I don't see this game being very stable.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 9, 2014

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Okay, I made a simple little program that tests to see if your account can connect to the Firefall XMPP server using the old authentication method. If your alt account works and you would be willing to donate its usage, we could get AllianceBot back and running in GOON2.

You can find it here:
http://nalin.suckerfree.org/private/bin/ffchattest.zip

The source code is included if anybody is paranoid (it is a Qt Creator 5 project).

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Munnin The Crab posted:

I don't really see much use in kinetic shot.

Kinetic Shot was a monster back in PVP matches because of its ability to snipe people from across the map while not actually being a sniper. The amount of spike damage you could send out without the other player getting so much as a warning was a bit nuts.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

ShadowMoo posted:

Last patch with the gigantic loving thump nerf completely killed any interest I had in the game. Spending 10 minutes to hunt for a node that gets tapped out in 1 go just aint fun. If they are willing to drop such fun killing nerfs post-launch I don't see this game being very stable.

It shouldn't take you ten minutes to find a node. When you use your hammer, jump in the air and look down at the scan region in front of you. If you look closely, you'll see a series of arcs moving in your scan region. Those waves are moving towards a node.

Finding a 50% node may take some time though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Everything is thumped dry though which sucks but not because of the metal, you just need something there to call down a thumper and farm animal poo poo and items to salvage, the stuff you really want.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Mainly thumped for the easy crystite from refining, oh well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A few random questions:

1.) Am I wasting crystite by researching? I've seen complaints about the system but no real explanation as to why it's a waste of time. I've only done a few things with it - thumpers, mostly - but still.

2.) When quest medals go bronze on the job board, that means it's safe to move onto the next hub right?

3.) Finally...I've earned a couple purple cosmetic things from those slot machines, but I've got no clue how to apply them. Using the NewYou station just prompts the game to start asking me about buying RedBeans.

Inimicul posted:

I'm not sure it's what you mean by "cleaner" but you can go into the interface options and resize, move, or disable just about everything. You can then rebind anything you like on the controller for easy 1-8s. I haven't seen any addons for it though.

Ah well, I'll just faff around with key configs then and see what I can come up with. Game is forgiving enough to use the controller in combat which I like.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

poptart_fairy posted:

A few random questions:

1.) Am I wasting crystite by researching? I've seen complaints about the system but no real explanation as to why it's a waste of time. I've only done a few things with it - thumpers, mostly - but still.

2.) When quest medals go bronze on the job board, that means it's safe to move onto the next hub right?

3.) Finally...I've earned a couple purple cosmetic things from those slot machines, but I've got no clue how to apply them. Using the NewYou station just prompts the game to start asking me about buying RedBeans.

Ah well, I'll just faff around with key configs then and see what I can come up with. Game is forgiving enough to use the controller in combat which I like.

1. You can pretty easily get gear for/around your level by using the voucher vendors near each job board. In addition, enemies drop modules for their level, so it's not hard to get items without crafting.

2.That means you've done them. The gold ones should lead you to the next job board, but ultimately you can move on to a new board as long as it's appropriate for your level.

3.They're in the calldowns menu, under 'unlock'. You need to use them to get the cosmetic item.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Was purged from army for some reason.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 9, 2014

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I got a founders pack a long long time ago but the beta sucked so I basically forgot about the game until now. What should I do with my crystals and other crafting materials? Spend them on research/crafting?

nelson fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 9, 2014

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Came to the conclusion that I wont put a dime into the game until they unfuck thumping.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Good lord Red5, I don't think the players value your beans as much as you think they do. That is an awesome hard-coded bottleneck.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
The thing about this game that drives me insane is that it would go from "meh, it has potential" to pretty good and fun with nothing more than a few number tweaks.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

SamEyeAm posted:

After debating which advanced frame to unlock first I went with the Firecat, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed when compared to the base assault. I feel like I take a lot more damage with this play style but don't really dish out any more. The splash increase with the thermal cannon is negligible, at least starting out. Immolate is handy for trash mobs but the higher hp enemies hurt more when I'm in immolate range. Also, the secondary fire on the thermal cannon doesn't seem to activate the passive Firecat ability as advertised (catching enemies on fire for DoT damage). I am only level 10 with the Firecat so far, and I will stick with it. These are just my initial thoughts.

I changed my mind. Level 15 now and after reading some playstyle suggestions after making this post (mainly about laying down primary-alt fire from above so that the 3-round burst explodes to do aoe damage) I'm thoroughly enjoying raining down death from above!!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hobo Siege posted:

The thing about this game that drives me insane is that it would go from "meh, it has potential" to pretty good and fun with nothing more than a few number tweaks.

This is sort of my thought too. I am playing it in small doses and enjoying it, but am not going to grind it until some things are fixed up. Thankfully the patch last week showed that they are open to mixing things up, hopefully they continue that course and listen to feedback.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I like the shooting. I like the flying. I don't like that I am farming the same instance for xp. Jobs suck.

I got into Mission 7 with like 4 other guys. How can I make that happen more often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

A few random questions:

The job board missions are really bad for leveling. I managed to poopsock myself from 15 to 25 in a day by just doing as many of the random spawning world missions and the story/instance ones. You still need to do a few of the job board missions just to get vouchers for some rare stuff like rocket turrets etc.

• Locked thread