Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Perhaps a touch too obvious - but Portal?

She has that too, and while she liked it, it was a bit too platformy for her and I had to help out with some jumping. Ideally I want games where you just have to click in a non time-critical way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The new F2p Royal Quest has to have the single most disappointing trailer ever crafted.

It opens on a generic witch doctor figure in game with sliding 2D art of him over the video, like most MMORPGS introduce their classes. Then it cuts to a giant frog man with a machete, then some kind of dryad, a proto-dragon, mushroom beast, card playing robot and it just goes on and on introducing all these fantastic creatures that get me thinking that even if the game sucks it'd still be fun to run around for a bit as some kind of wolverine centaur.

Just past the halfway mark it goes apeshit on the 2D art slides and pulls in the title screen, immediately ushering in arrival of the actual player characters and for the rest of the trailer you get to watch the most dirt-generic Final Fantasy protagonists ham-handedly attack everything you just finished dreaming about playing as.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Trustworthy posted:

I'm so on the fence about this one. Have the developers said if they're going to just keep stacking on content once the mystery gets solved, or is the game just going to kind of die one day in the near future? Or will they--I don't know--delete stuff the community's figured out for new players, and just hope/trust that nobody ever looks anything up out-of-game...?
Here's their FAQ that answers some of your questions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acquire Currency! posted:

There is a survival mode where you have to mine and have time to construct stuff. For you there is a creative mode that instantly builds whatever with infinite energy/bullets/what you need. The game is very workshop compatible so you can download hundreds of user made creations (and most recently mods) from steam workshop. I believe Seagoon makes some of his creations public. The game does have a lot of prebuilt stuff, too. Usually it's a map that tells you exactly what's in it.

Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. And I just looked at the workshop and people are making Homeworld stuff so I guess my decision just got made for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darkrenown posted:

She has that too, and while she liked it, it was a bit too platformy for her and I had to help out with some jumping. Ideally I want games where you just have to click in a non time-critical way.

I'm barkin' blind since I've never played the Room, but what about something simple like Zenbound?

Or maybe something like Antechamber? I don't think that's a platformer.

The Seventh Guest is a maddening mix of coolness and kick in the nuts. I think there are one or two out of all of the puzzles that are time critical, but aren't requiring dexterity.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. And I just looked at the workshop and people are making Homeworld stuff so I guess my decision just got made for me.

If you can convince a friend to get it I've had a lot of fun just starting a creative server and telling my friends to go to a different platform and make a ship in ten minutes or less. Meet up at the pre-designated spot and blast the hell out of each other.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Since this is the de facto PC gaming thread, hopefully someone can point me to the right direction for the following problem:

I am running a dual monitor setup. Windows 8.1, Radeon HD 7870, Logitech G400s, all pretty much up to date regarding software and drivers.

Now, the day before yesterday, all of the sudden my games lost focus and switched to windowed mode if I movde my cursor towards the second screen (on the right) and clicked either the left or right mouse button. The mouse cursor is no longer confined to the game window. It doesn't matter whether the game is running in Fullscreen or Borderless Fullscreen.

I can fix this by disabling the desktop extension of the second monitor, but then I can't use it for browsing, chatting or watching videos while playing.

I do not recall updating anything in particular, this behaviour literally started overnight.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 9, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Darkrenown posted:

Has she played any of Artifex's hidden object games? They're not bad if you're looking for puzzles.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Justin_Brett posted:

Has she played any of Artifex's hidden object games? They're not bad if you're looking for puzzles.

…or Cerasus Media's HP Lovecraft games (also hidden object). Arguably, they're the games that most effectively translate the mood of the stories into game form.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

Quantum Conundrum is a cool physics-type game. It doesn't have the amazing atmosphere of The Room, but you could do worse.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200010/

e: hit reply not quote

Setset fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 9, 2014

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I feel stupid for having to ask this, but when you guys are using different skins for Steam, is that in the beta?
I just engaged the beta, and only see the default skin option.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Ninkobei posted:

Quantum Conundrum is a cool physics-type game. It doesn't have the amazing atmosphere of The Room, but you could do worse.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200010/

e: hit reply not quote

Quantum Conundrum is way more platformy than Portal. There's a significant amount of just jumping between moving platforms over death pits, not to mention that one room with death lasers and conveyor belts.

The Room 2 is out on iOS and Android mobile things, if that's an option. It might come to Steam eventually, but like the first one they'd need to take some time to rejigger the controls.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Has she played The Longest Journey? It's pretty ugly, but the plot is good and it's puzzles without any platforming. Dreamfall looks better, and also has puzzles, but it has stealth missions and combat that she might not like so much.

Other than that, idk, Frogwares stuff?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Movac posted:

Quantum Conundrum is way more platformy than Portal. There's a significant amount of just jumping between moving platforms over death pits, not to mention that one room with death lasers and conveyor belts.

On that note, she should also avoid Magrunner. It's REALLY twitchy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're just looking for first person puzzle games, I've heard good things about Antichamber. Dunno how much platforming is involved, though.

Don't get Quantum Conundrum.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
In case anyone was curious about Direct Hit: Missile War, I took the plunge and wrote a review here. Long story short, don't bother.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you're just looking for first person puzzle games, I've heard good things about Antichamber. Dunno how much platforming is involved, though.

Don't get Quantum Conundrum.

I was totally excited back when Quantum Conundrum was coming out. It seemed pretty neat; more Portal, but different.

And then I played the demo and it was such a silly piece of poo poo. I feel like you're better off weatching the trailer and going away than actually playing it. The puzzles were not interesting mechanically, instead relying on the 'cuteness' of the visuals. The story was dumb and uninterestingly portrayed.

I don't know. Stay away from it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Lance Streetman posted:

Honestly, I would have preferred it if they just gave SSFIV a permanent price-cut, and made the Ultra version the cost of that + the upgrade. Probably would have made them more money in the long run.
Capcom doing things sensibly would've caused the end times though.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
I just finished South Park: Stick of Truth, and if you're a fan of that show you have to play it. It's full of really obscure little references, it's loving hilarious, and an honest to god good turn based RPG, if a little easy. It's perfect. I don't want to say much else because honestly it's all worth being surprised about.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Antichamber's pretty great! There's some platforming though – one place in particular stood out to me where you have to jump off a spring and then move forward at the top of the jump to get to a corridor, and if you move too early or too late you have to go through a little setup routine before you can try again. It's one of the rare moments where an arrow is telling you where to go though, so once you see that you know it's possible. That one took me a few tries.. Most of it isn't like that though, and if a puzzle seems unreasonable you're probably missing something. Also, the most important rooms have multiple paths leading to them, and the map lets you teleport to most of the rooms you've been to previously, so you're never really stuck anywhere. If a puzzle is too difficult, even if it seems like you should be able to solve it, new abilities and knowledge you gain by solving other puzzles will make it easier to complete later on.

What i really liked about it is that although most of the puzzles are independent in their own rooms, there's a definite sense of progression. You get some new abilities, but it's not just that. You constantly discover new things about how the game works. A puzzle that seemed impossible turns out to be possible after all, you just didn't know the right way to approach it. You're always learning, and the game constantly plays with your expectations. It's fun :)

Oh also, there is a timer, but when it runs out, a message tells you to go at your own pace instead of someone else's. The game continues as if nothing happened.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was looking in the new Sierra website's source code per someone on Twitter and saw this:

I guess they own the Geometry Wars IP now?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ElProducto posted:

I just finished South Park: Stick of Truth, and if you're a fan of that show you have to play it. It's full of really obscure little references, it's loving hilarious, and an honest to god good turn based RPG, if a little easy. It's perfect. I don't want to say much else because honestly it's all worth being surprised about.

I loved the poo poo out of it. The sidequests were a lot of fun even if the rewards weren't great, because they were usually full of fun little references and jokes.

Super easy, though, since it has a combat system made to be broken over your knee.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

So Steam keeps telling me I have a Dota 2 update to install no matter how many times I update and run it. It's just stuck in the downloading tab at 0% and keeps my Steam userbar icon at a permanent working status. What the hell is going on?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

pandaK posted:

So Steam keeps telling me I have a Dota 2 update to install no matter how many times I update and run it. It's just stuck in the downloading tab at 0% and keeps my Steam userbar icon at a permanent working status. What the hell is going on?

Restart steam.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Zeether posted:

I was looking in the new Sierra website's source code per someone on Twitter and saw this:

Activision owns the Sierra brand, and Activision owned Bizzare Creations (RIP), so sure, it is technically feasible?

Also apparently there was a 2007 Wii/DS Geometry Wars that was published by Sierra back when they were owned by Vivendi, so there's precedent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_Wars:_Galaxies

e: also that code has reference to an age gate, so I guess expect an M-rated Kings Quest? :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 9, 2014

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Zeether posted:

Bizarre Creations were acquired by Activision at some point.

Also, didn't Telltale announce a King's Quest game a couple years ago? Neither of these hidden announcements seem particularly ground-breaking; hopefully they'll have something better to show come Gamescom.

vvv OK forget what I said that would be pretty awesome.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 9, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

We never got Geometry Wars 2 on Steam, so maybe that ASCII means we're getting it now? :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Quantum Conundrum sucks, Antichamber is really rad. Never played Q.U.B.E. or Magrunner: Dark Pulse. Kairo is sorta slow but well made even though I have no idea what the point of any of it was. FRACT OSC also seems really cool. Then of course the Portals are great.

This has been your first person puzzler gaming minute.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It's been persisting for the past few days going through several restarts. I do notice that when I start up Dota, I always get a popup asking me if I want the program to make changes to my computer which I used to not get before this happened.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yodzilla posted:

Quantum Conundrum sucks, Antichamber is really rad. Never played Q.U.B.E. or Magrunner: Dark Pulse. Kairo is sorta slow but well made even though I have no idea what the point of any of it was. FRACT OSC also seems really cool. Then of course the Portals are great.

This has been your first person puzzler gaming minute.

Magrunner is pretty cool, I thought. I don't think any puzzler has a story or presentation to match the Portals, but it was fun and well done in its own right.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

pandaK posted:

It's been persisting for the past few days going through several restarts. I do notice that when I start up Dota, I always get a popup asking me if I want the program to make changes to my computer which I used to not get before this happened.

This has been happening to me too! I've done all the usual weird steam fixes and it still happens. It also shows up in my library as "Dota 2 - Ready To Play." Steam's been getting on my nerves pretty hard these past few days.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

pandaK posted:

Mmm.. tried verifyin' dem files or a full reinstall?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Might be a stupid question but did they change the design of the Steam client with this latest update?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Scyantific posted:

Might be a stupid question but did they change the design of the Steam client with this latest update?

Yeah, there is a blue cool Miami heat bar or whatever at the top.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Darkrenown posted:

Comedy option: Click RPG

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 9, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Magrunner is pretty cool, I thought. I don't think any puzzler has a story or presentation to match the Portals, but it was fun and well done in its own right.

I thought the Lovecraftian elements were silly and could have been safely yanked, and the presentation for the first two thirds of the game was just 'room' 'elevator' 'repeat' with no sense of tension, even when it was literally raining Deep Ones and other elevators on you. Adding monsters and shaky-vision ~sanity~ effects to the last few levels was just an obnoxious distraction from the puzzles and the one actually interesting environment in the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bieeardo posted:

I thought the Lovecraftian elements were silly and could have been safely yanked, and the presentation for the first two thirds of the game was just 'room' 'elevator' 'repeat' with no sense of tension, even when it was literally raining Deep Ones and other elevators on you. Adding monsters and shaky-vision ~sanity~ effects to the last few levels was just an obnoxious distraction from the puzzles and the one actually interesting environment in the game.

I honestly don't remember the story, but I had fun with the puzzles in most cases.

Otherwise it novel as far as these types of puzzlers go. Lovecraft didn't really help it be better, but it helped it stand out.

And, really, room, room, room, room was pretty much Portal, too. It just happen(ed)(s) to be leaps and bounds better than almost anything out there.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Heroes of a Broken Land is pretty enjoyable, guys. I've cleared one dungeon so far in about 30 minutes and I enjoyed crawling around and outfitting/leveling my doods. If you have any interest in Wizardry-type old schoolery with some HoMM-y overworld stuff, check it out. Chances are you bought it a while ago in a Groupees bundle.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Does anyone here play Desktop dungeons? Because, it's prob. one of the best games I have ever played on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

big duck equals goose posted:

Does anyone here play Desktop dungeons? Because, it's prob. one of the best games I have ever played on steam.

The goon love for Desktop Dungeons is strong but its time in the Games limelight is kind of already passed. Not sure if the thread is still around.

• Locked thread