Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I watched it on YTV. I remember one time a buddy started talking about how cool it was DBZ was getting new episodes but when I watched it at his place he was several weeks behind and had different voices. He was watching the CN version and had no idea that YTV was ahead so I got to tease him with revelations that blew his mind.

I also enjoyed how arcs seemed to switch from funimations dub to the canadian dub.

Funimation dub was way better, can't be patriotic on this one :canada:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I blame bad voice-direction. I love Ocean, I''ve been hearing them since I was a kid. First exposure was DBZ which was definitely terribad but then I saw X-Men Evolution and Inuyasha and I've loved them ever since.

One of these days I want to watch the Android and Buu Saga with the Ocean voices. I've seen clips on YT but it just feels so strange. But I know it's bad direction because Kirby Morrow took over as Goku later on and everyone says he sucked but I love Kirby's voicework.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

NikkolasKing posted:

One of these days I want to watch the Android and Buu Saga with the Ocean voices.

got some bad news bro...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

got some bad news bro...

They exist, actually, you can see some stuff from Buu floating around on youtube (it's apparently what the UK got?)

Babidi is actually voiced by the same guy who does Krillin in the Ocean Dub so I'm inclined to think they kept dubbing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Ocean Dub did all of it and GT, you can find clips everywhere on youtube of both.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

The Ocean Dub did all of it and GT, you can find clips everywhere on youtube of both.

GT was done by a smaller division Blue Water, if I recall correctly. It won't share any of the voices, but it does have a lot of the people from G Gundam.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, actually Blue Water is a subdivision of Ocean, I believe.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Are we still posting origin stories? I was reading Curtis Hoffmann’s Dragonball manga chapter summaries off a local BBS years before the series was ever shown on Cartoon Network, a time when only turbonnerds cared about those weird foreign cartoons.

The original DB manga is still freakin' rad.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
The new mutliverse arc is going quickly...and Vegeta looks weird.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Cozz posted:

This artist has a Rob Liefeld-like aversion to drawing eyes.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Cozz posted:

Didn't see that coming and it's all the more awesome for it. Vegeta and Cui being there I mean.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Makes sense. They're both higher up in the rankings of the Planet Trade Organization so Gast would assume they have some inside info, but they were still the weakest on Namek at the time so they were likely easy to keep under control. That and they're both underhanded enough to bargain for their lives as opposed to fighting in Frieza's name like the Ginyus or Zarbon and Dodoria. At least, Vegeta was at that point in the series. Cui never really got that level of development but he always struck me as the type.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WhiffleballDude posted:

Makes sense. They're both higher up in the rankings of the Planet Trade Organization so Gast would assume they have some inside info, but they were still the weakest on Namek at the time so they were likely easy to keep under control. That and they're both underhanded enough to bargain for their lives as opposed to fighting in Frieza's name like the Ginyus or Zarbon and Dodoria. At least, Vegeta was at that point in the series. Cui never really got that level of development but he always struck me as the type.

And we explicitly see Gast coercing them into helping him with the ship at the end of the first Gast story.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I somehow completely missed that first Gast Story.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It's been awhile since I read that part so I must have forgotten that bit.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Darko posted:

- Then one of my friends from school when I was in 10th grade brought it some Japanese, untranslated video copies of Movies 1-9 (?). I related it to the EGM magazines and loved it, even though I had no idea of what anyone was saying. Fortunately, I had SOME Japanese classes, so I was able to kind of parse the general idea of a few things.
That was like the start to my exposure. My friend was taking Japanese and had a pen pal sending him episodes recorded off of TV from just before Cell absorbed 18 until nearly the end.

A couple years later we watched one of the Broly movies fansubbed at the University of Washington and I realized I thought the series was Cooler when I didn't know what they were actually saying.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Going to see Battle of the Gods on the 30th, have to travel 3 hours there and back but my girlfriend and I are going to make a trip of it (even though she couldn't care less about DBZ, she enjoys DBZ:A though :shrug:)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A 6 hour trip for a 90 minute movie seems a bit excessive but I guess if you're having fun with it!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

A 6 hour trip for a 90 minute movie seems a bit excessive but I guess if you're having fun with it!

Maybe he meant 1.5 hours each way, with the way he formulated it? Otherwise, a bit long trip for my taste.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's 6 hours, but the movie won't be the only thing we are doing. Always have to take advantage of going into the city by going out to dinner and whatever else we can organize.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

My origin story was a bit different. I knew around 2nd grade or so of DBZ from my friends talking about Frieza (so late 90s) and for some reason was a snob and said no I'm not watching. Wasn't until 2001 at the beginning of the Buu saga I began to watch so it was a weird way to pick up things that happened over time. Toonami did though have those re-runs from the beginning to kill time before next new episodes but got so pissed off that they only got to say mid-Frieza fight or a bit beyond each time so it wasn't until 2005 or so to see the Androids saga in whole. I definitely was confused why everything changed during the beginning of the Ginyu force fight where all the music, added in sound effects, voice acting, and even the beginning intro to the episode was different.

It's good to see Funimation did a very good job on the dub of Battle of the Gods. Watching back to the first episodes that Funimation did the voice acting wasn't very good and it's the same people now but back then. Sean Schemmel was completely soulless, Sabat's first rendition of Vegeta was emulating Brian Drummond's Vegeta and that sounds really weird now to his more gruffer and familiar voice, etc... It helps that Funi is now a pretty well experienced now with their voice actors rather than when they got DBZ, they literally started with DBZ.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

A girl I've been talking to and had a date planned with canceled after I mentioned liking DBZ and that I was going to see the movie this past Tuesday. She called me gay.

I don't regret seeing the movie though that poo poo was great.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Steve Jorbs posted:

A girl I've been talking to and had a date planned with canceled after I mentioned liking DBZ and that I was going to see the movie this past Tuesday. She called me gay.

I don't regret seeing the movie though that poo poo was great.

:stare:

That is uh...That's one helluva story. Looks like you dodged a bullet there. I mean, I can kind of understand breaking a date over someone liking DBZ. Maybe she thought it made you seem immature. Still a dick move. But then she called you gay because of it?

Yeah, definitely dodged a bullet.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Reinanigans posted:

That is uh...That's one helluva story. Looks like you dodged a bullet there. I mean, I can kind of understand breaking a date over someone liking DBZ. Maybe she thought it made you seem immature. Still a dick move. But then she called you gay because of it?

The irony there is that the fact that she totally dropped him and called him gay made her way more immature.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Reinanigans posted:

Liking DBZ isn't normally something I'd discuss with someone I don't know too well, it just came up in the conversation when I said I was going to a movie with some friends.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

I mean, I can kind of understand breaking a date over someone liking DBZ. Maybe she thought it made you seem immature.

Pfft. True maturity is being able to hold onto the simple pleasures. If someone's going to break up with you over your not being too cool for a dumb show with good fights, there probably would have been problems down the road anyway.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Count me in with the group that started watching on Toonami in the "Goku arrives to fight the Ginyu Force...here comes Radditz!" days.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

facebook jihad posted:

Count me in with the group that started watching on Toonami in the "Goku arrives to fight the Ginyu Force...here comes Radditz!" days.

Did they ever get in a rut like that again after they finally got past the Ginyu Force? I don't remember ever having a surprise (painful) rerun after that, but that was a long-rear end time ago.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

Did they ever get in a rut like that again after they finally got past the Ginyu Force? I don't remember ever having a surprise (painful) rerun after that, but that was a long-rear end time ago.

Unless you count Vegeta's sacrifice then no. They wrapped up the Cell Saga in one full season, and finished the Buu saga in two. I would always quit watching after they finished a series of episodes so I have no idea what starting point they used afterwards, whether it be Radditz or mid-Freeza or what.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
All I remember about watching DBZ as a young child was the last half of the Cell saga, and then what felt like a "new" era that started with the Buu saga.

DBZ is something I grew up with so much I can practically recite character names and every plot point despite my horrible memory problems. It's like it's hardwired into my brain.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I never saw the Android or the Cell sagas back when DBZ was on TV. Or most of the start of the Buu saga. Weirdly, the first episode of DBZ I remember seeing was Vegeta vs Pui Pui. Or maybe the Goku vs Pikkon filler episode.

DBZ was really jumbled up to me.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Man, everyone has all these bizarre screwy stories for how they started watching. I'm boring. My friend told me DBZ was cool when Toonami was first starting and I started a couple episodes into the Saiyan Saga. That's really it. The most "interesting" thing I could say I guess is that when they were still on Namek I saw some Garlic Jr. Saga on the Spanish channels in the mornings before school and I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Why was Goku evil and working for this random jerkoff? Oh turns out it's just a guy with an unoriginal haircut, I would find out a year or two later.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the only part of the series I saw in its entirety is the Buu Saga. I loved DBZ as a kid, but due to not understanding scheduling for Toonami prior to the Buu Saga, it was a jumbled mess of when I was able to find and watch it. It wasn't until the Buu Saga was on like toonami in the afternoons that I got to see a whole saga for once. Everything else I picked up through osmosis for the games or clips on YouTube when that started happening.

The movies I have watched in their entirety, though.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Pfft. True maturity is being able to hold onto the simple pleasures.
"When I was a child, I was afraid people would laugh at my animés. As an adult I straight up tell every ho that Goku is the number one person in my life and that nothing matters more than my Chinese fight man cartoons." -- C. S. Lewis

Soulcleaver fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 9, 2014

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I watched DBZ way back when it aired at like 6 or 7 in the morning alongside Sailor Moon and later Pokemon. It was the dawn of anime for me. I was sheltered back then though so I almost stopped watching DBZ after the violent end of the Raditz battle. That lasted maybe a day. But to be honest as much as I love DBZ, I've never watched the Buu saga. Much like how I love Yu Yu Hakusho but have never seen past the Dark Tournament. I gotta finish some animes one day.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I watched DBZ way back when it aired at like 6 or 7 in the morning alongside Sailor Moon and later Pokemon. It was the dawn of anime for me. I was sheltered back then though so I almost stopped watching DBZ after the violent end of the Raditz battle. That lasted maybe a day. But to be honest as much as I love DBZ, I've never watched the Buu saga. Much like how I love Yu Yu Hakusho but have never seen past the Dark Tournament. I gotta finish some animes one day.

Kai is going through Buu right now best time to catch up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

They would get up to Vegeta exploding himself and Buu up and reset a few times.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah yeah I remember, because they ran a promo with Goku saying Gohan and Vegeta are dead with Bulma screaming no. And it was right around near my birthday too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7hxwSKXY_o

Probably my favorite part of the promo is at the end. You would think of that dude is a badass and little did we know he was a brat. (Granted not surprising considering it is Gotenks/Trunks)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Steve Jorbs posted:

Liking DBZ isn't normally something I'd discuss with someone I don't know too well, it just came up in the conversation when I said I was going to a movie with some friends.

You're better off without her. I don't mean that in a "oh hurr, she doesn't like dragonball, what a loser right?" sense, but more that if she breaks up because you like a childish thing, she's already picking poor battles to argue about.

Maybe it was more of a last straw deal, but it's a pretty terrible sign when the thing that pulled you apart is that you happen to like a campy cartoon and want to see it for memories sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

You're better off without her. I don't mean that in a "oh hurr, she doesn't like dragonball, what a loser right?" sense, but more that if she breaks up because you like a childish thing, she's already picking poor battles to argue about.

Maybe it was more of a last straw deal, but it's a pretty terrible sign when the thing that pulled you apart is that you happen to like a campy cartoon and want to see it for memories sake.
I mean we weren't in a relationship or anything it was literally going to be a second date. No big lose on my end I just thought it was humorous enough to be worth sharing.

Although on a related note my last girlfriend didn't know I even watched anime until over a year after we broke up when I half jokingly suggested she buy me a copy of Rohan at the Louvre.

In an effort to stay on-topic though: There was a part in the movie that really bothered me. During the fight with Beerus in the underground cave Goku shouts, "I will not let you destroy my planet," and it seemed like he said it way too fast and it was really awkward. Besides that I thought the dub was superb.

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 10, 2014

• Locked thread