Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Found the fix for my problem, enabling SSL 2.0 works at loading the site. I know its not a great fix, as SSL 2.0 is deprecated in IE, but if people can make do until our new system goes in, yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

:downs:

I would reply with something like:

Hello :downs:,
It would appear that you've mistakenly sent this to the helpdesk. I've helpfully cc'd this to housekeeping. They should be able to help you with that.

Thanks,
Helpdesk

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CitizenKain posted:

Found the fix for my problem, enabling SSL 2.0 works at loading the site. I know its not a great fix, as SSL 2.0 is deprecated in IE, but if people can make do until our new system goes in, yay.

So, in 2 4 6 years or so?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Microsoft just somehow disassociated 50 office keys from their MS email account, and has lost them. Can't find record of them anywhere. Then hung up on us.

So loving angry...

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

So, in 2 4 6 years or so?

Probably. Apparently instead of working on this, my new high priority task to work on getting digital signage moved to a different port on some firewalls. Why this is now important is a mystery.

Working for a crazy person is fun.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I hate getting wrong numbers. They never listen to what you're saying and just assume you know everyone in a 20k person company. Like the one today:

Me: "IT Department, this is GreatBeer."
Her: "Oh good a human! I've been trying to get someone for a month now. Hi i need the <unintelligible> department!
Me: "Uh I think you have the wrong number."
Her: "Yeah I just dial extensions at random since I hate the phone system. Can you connect me to <unintelligible>?"
Me: "Uh... no. I don't have their number. This is the IT department."
Her: "I cant believe you all are still in business! I'll just try again."
Me: "Uh, ok. Thanks." :psyduck:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
One of our departments has a couple of old Apple servers in one of our data centers that they use to run Adobe InDesign because they don't like how it works on Windows or something. No one in our sysadmin department knows a drat thing about OS X; I haven't touched a Mac since System 7 back in high school. Apparently that was also true back when that department bought the things (long before I was there), because they were told back then that Macs are out of scope they'd get no support of any kind on 'em.

So of course this week we get an email from them with a screenshot of a RAID error pop-up message reporting that a drive is dead saying "please fix this..." We get the login info from one of 'em and take a look at the server; after finally figuring out how to get into the RAID utility (seriously, have all of the Apple UI designers been on drugs for the past fifteen years or something?), there don't appear to be any dead drives. After looking closer and hitting up Google, it seems the Apple RAID utility spams vague popup errors on boot if there are any errors at all in the RAID logs. Seems a drive died on this server sometime back in 2011 and was fixed shortly afterwards, but no one cleared the log, so now every time the thing boots it pops up a message saying that a disk has failed. :downs:

The icing on the cake is that we also noticed that whoever built the thing apparently didn't know what "RAID" was and somehow managed to assign each of the four 1TB physical drives to its own RAID group and mount each one in the OS as a separate filesystem...so there isn't actually any redundancy at all. Also, three of the filesystems are completely empty and appear to be unused; everything is being stored on the 1TB system drive. :cripes:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We stage all of our machines basically by hand. They're usually the same model Dell laptop (we buy basically one model until they stop selling it) and maybe a few other Dell desktops and an ultra book thrown in every once in a while.

We try to use Acronis for imaging but it never works so I just end up doing it all manually. Windows updates, driver updates, same software every time.. There's gotta be an easier way (or twelve), right?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Acronis will probably work if you delete the destination disc partitions with the Acronis utility first. Otherwise, http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx makes it super easy to deploy Dell computers with WDS. Unless you have Vostros :(

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Yeah, pretty much what Roargasm said. What error(s) are you getting with Acronis?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

As per the PPACA ("Obamacare") thread, Oracle is now suing Oregon. See the writeup and the complaint, this looks like it will be a truly magical event. Thank you cowtown for posting this originally.

cowtown posted:

From Oracle's complaint

Oracle Chief Corporate Architect Edward Screven posted:

Garrett,
Oracle employees on site in Durham report that in a meeting today you stated that you now have Siebel Administrator privilege, and you have used that privilege to directly make environment and application changes to the production environment. Is this correct?
Following established change control procedures is essential. Making any change to production without following proper procedure puts the system at risk, both at the time of the change and later, during upgrades. If you have made such changes, please send a written description of each change, including when you made it. Also, please do not make any more changes.

Cover Oregon Chief Technology Officer Garrett Reynolds posted:

On 1/16/2014 6:28 PM, Reynolds Garrett wrote:
I thought Cover Oregon paid for and owned the system....
Thanks

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

myron cope posted:

We stage all of our machines basically by hand. They're usually the same model Dell laptop (we buy basically one model until they stop selling it) and maybe a few other Dell desktops and an ultra book thrown in every once in a while.

We try to use Acronis for imaging but it never works so I just end up doing it all manually. Windows updates, driver updates, same software every time.. There's gotta be an easier way (or twelve), right?

Use ImageX. The Windows Automated Install Kit will do everything you need, and is free to boot.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

As per the PPACA ("Obamacare") thread, Oracle is now suing Oregon. See the writeup and the complaint, this looks like it will be a truly magical event. Thank you cowtown for posting this originally.
Yeah, Oregon handled the whole thing pretty spectacularly. I'm not sure this is going to go well for us.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
That complaint is amazing

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It's my system now, bitch *pees on the server*

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Great Beer posted:

I hate getting wrong numbers. They never listen to what you're saying and just assume you know everyone in a 20k person company. Like the one today:

Me: "IT Department, this is GreatBeer."
Her: "Oh good a human! I've been trying to get someone for a month now. Hi i need the <unintelligible> department!
Me: "Uh I think you have the wrong number."
Her: "Yeah I just dial extensions at random since I hate the phone system. Can you connect me to <unintelligible>?"
Me: "Uh... no. I don't have their number. This is the IT department."
Her: "I cant believe you all are still in business! I'll just try again."
Me: "Uh, ok. Thanks." :psyduck:

I keep getting these except usually even more baffling.

Me: This is brand x computers tech support how may I help you?
They: Yeah I have this brand y phone and I accidentally slammed it in a drawer and now I need you guys to cover it.
Me: I'm sorry sir, I don't quite understa-
They: LISTEN HERE SHITNUGGET, I'VE BEEN ON THE PHONE ALL DAY, MY PHONE IS BROKEN AND I CAN BARELY CALL PEOPLE AND I NEED YOU GUYS TO COVER THE COST OF A NEW PHONE
Me: Sir, I think you need to call your insurance company or brand y tech support, I can get-
They: I SAID I'VE BEEN ON THE PHONE ALL DAY, I NEED TO GET THIS REPAIRED AND THEY GAVE ME THIS NUMBER!
Me: Who? Who gave you this number? This is the wrong company and even if it was the correct one I can't initiate any kind of repairs on anything that isn't covered under warranty.
They: WELL gently caress YOU! *hangs up*

I don't understand, are people just dialing random numbers or something? And then they get all indignant when we can't help them.
This happens like once a month.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

organburner posted:

I keep getting these except usually even more baffling.

Me: This is brand x computers tech support how may I help you?
They: Yeah I have this brand y phone and I accidentally slammed it in a drawer and now I need you guys to cover it.
Me: I'm sorry sir, I don't quite understa-
They: LISTEN HERE SHITNUGGET, I'VE BEEN ON THE PHONE ALL DAY, MY PHONE IS BROKEN AND I CAN BARELY CALL PEOPLE AND I NEED YOU GUYS TO COVER THE COST OF A NEW PHONE
Me: Sir, I think you need to call your insurance company or brand y tech support, I can get-
They: I SAID I'VE BEEN ON THE PHONE ALL DAY, I NEED TO GET THIS REPAIRED AND THEY GAVE ME THIS NUMBER!
Me: Who? Who gave you this number? This is the wrong company and even if it was the correct one I can't initiate any kind of repairs on anything that isn't covered under warranty.
They: WELL gently caress YOU! *hangs up*

I don't understand, are people just dialing random numbers or something? And then they get all indignant when we can't help them.
This happens like once a month.

Back when I did phone support for t-mobile this was explained to me by a call. Note that I am from Texas, and any accent I have is Texan.

:v: Thank you for calling T-mobile!
:byodood: I need to talk to Cox Cable.
:v: I'm sorry? This is T-Mobile, not Cox Cable.
:byodood: Well, just transfer me to that department!
:v: That isn't a department here, I do not know where they have a call center.
:byodood: STOP LYING TO ME, I KNOW ALL OF YOU PEOPLE WORK IN THE SAME BUILDING IN INDIA! JUST TELL THEM MY CABLE IS BROKE AND I NEED IT FIXED! *hangs up*

People really do think this, its sad.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Back when I did phone support for t-mobile this was explained to me by a call. Note that I am from Texas, and any accent I have is Texan.

:byodood: STOP LYING TO ME, I KNOW ALL OF YOU PEOPLE WORK IN THE SAME BUILDING IN INDIA! JUST TELL THEM MY CABLE IS BROKE AND I NEED IT FIXED! *hangs up*

This has a lot to do with whoever hosts their phone. By dialing 611 on any phone it will go to the providers tech support for that phone. When I used to work for a cable company people would lose phone service then go to their neighbors house to use their phone. They would press 611 and it would ring us up, even though they were with bell. Good chance when you get those calls (assuming you work for a telco of some sort) they dialed 611.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

m.hache posted:

This has a lot to do with whoever hosts their phone. By dialing 611 on any phone it will go to the providers tech support for that phone. When I used to work for a cable company people would lose phone service then go to their neighbors house to use their phone. They would press 611 and it would ring us up, even though they were with bell. Good chance when you get those calls (assuming you work for a telco of some sort) they dialed 611.

I understand that part, but the confusing part was him absolutely insisting I was lying about not working with Cox Cable.

Also, being accused of being an indian outsourcer when I was clearly an american outsourcer, but thats not as bad.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

When I did ISP tech support I had a blinding conversation with a woman who refused to believe I was in Manchester (England).

"What's the weather like huh! You don't even know."
Me looking out the windows, "Well it's kinda drizzling now, has been most of the morning."
"Bah, you just looked that up on the internet."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

To be fair, I have encountered tech support people who pass the buck by blaming some other company that's even tangentially related.

The hard drive on your (in warrantee) consumer desktop died and you were running Windows? Well, this is clearly Microsoft's problem. Their number is...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bobulus posted:

To be fair, I have encountered tech support people who pass the buck by blaming some other company that's even tangentially related.

The hard drive on your (in warrantee) consumer desktop died and you were running Windows? Well, this is clearly Microsoft's problem. Their number is...

poo poo like this is usually something that comes down from above. I was shut down on several calls for trying to fix the whole issue instead of passing the buck(it hurts call times, you see)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm glad we don't have any kind of call time metrics because I was on a single call for two loving hours this morning. 117 minutes. Trying to get a Cradlepoint to create a VPN tunnel. Also I'm the only person here so anyone else who had a problem? Tough poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

LordVorbis posted:

When I did ISP tech support I had a blinding conversation with a woman who refused to believe I was in Manchester (England).

Me looking out the windows, "Well it's kinda drizzling now, has been most of the morning."

I have a friend who worked the phones at Vonage in New Jersey. He had an Indian coworker who people would abuse because of his accent, so he had to get on the call and assure them that, yes, they were in fact calling America. Having a foreign accent when working tech support has to be the most awful thing.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

LordVorbis posted:

I was born in California and raised in Ohio. I've got that bland "my accent is a lack of emphasis on anything" thing that most of the US has these days. I got a phonecall from a dude in New York with a strong Bronx accent. Dude claimed he couldn't understand what I was saying because of my "strong indian accent".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Having been bounced between two companies/departments each insisting the other one was the one that could help me, I can understand the "No, gently caress you, fix it" attitude. Far too many companies just want the fastest, flimsiest excuse to push the call to someone else. Yours may not be one of them, but the rest are why people have zero patience on the phone.

Example: Qwest tech insisting that being unable to connect to the internet on multiple devices with different OSes was absolutely a corrupted install of Windows, and I'd have to call Microsoft. Someone who doesn't know better could easily cooperate, call microsoft, and get mad when someone there (correctly) insists it's a Qwest problem. If they're lucky, and the MS tech doesn't helpfully walk them through a complete wipe and reinstall that isn't necessary and doesn't fix anything.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

LordVorbis posted:

My understanding of England is that "well it's kinda drizzling now" is accurate about 100% of the time. You proved nothing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
#if 0

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

#endif

:catstare:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Javid posted:

Having been bounced between two companies/departments each insisting the other one was the one that could help me, I can understand the "No, gently caress you, fix it" attitude. Far too many companies just want the fastest, flimsiest excuse to push the call to someone else. Yours may not be one of them, but the rest are why people have zero patience on the phone.

Example: Qwest tech insisting that being unable to connect to the internet on multiple devices with different OSes was absolutely a corrupted install of Windows, and I'd have to call Microsoft. Someone who doesn't know better could easily cooperate, call microsoft, and get mad when someone there (correctly) insists it's a Qwest problem. If they're lucky, and the MS tech doesn't helpfully walk them through a complete wipe and reinstall that isn't necessary and doesn't fix anything.

]]

This is almost every call center tho. Before I managed to get back into real IT, I worked in probably 10, and all but one had handle time as the primary metric you were evaluated by. This means that how long you take per call determines if you have a job, and the floor supervisors will flat tell you to blow them off on any excuse to blame someone else, even if you know it will come back to you, since that means a short call.

This habit is particularly bad when a new product comes out, since it will come out with bugs, but the call volume is so high that wait times are long. The call center as a whole is usually judged based on how customers wait on hold before talking to someone. EA, for instance, has a 90 second SLA(calls that wait on hold for more than 90 seconds count against the call center).

Customer service is always the lowest rated metric, after all these other things, which is why you get so many agents who seem to not want to do their job. The fact is that their job is to get you off the phone as fast as possible, not actually help you.

[[

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Volmarias posted:

I don't normally bother reading the actual complaints but really, that's pretty hilarious. I know Oracle will have done their best to cherry-pick the facts to support their version, but even with a healthy dose of scepticism I don't see how Oregon can win this one.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I had a lady scream gently caress YOU at the top of her lungs when I refused to go to her home and 'install' a printer cable for her. I was working at Circuit City at the time and this was in the middle of a crowded store.

Had another customer come in and scream WHERE ARE ALL THE loving BOOKS??? When I told him Barnes & Nobles was next door he stormed out.

When I worked at an ISP a customer insisted that since she pays $200/mo for internet (she doesn't) that we should've given her NIC drivers and she wasn't getting off the phone until we gave them to her. She didn't even know what NIC drivers were until I explained it to her. I think most of the calls we got were due to the fact that you could talk to someone for free, even if we couldn't help.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I don't normally do this, but I had a look at a friend's father's computer because he's a good guy and has given me free financial/accounting advice (i.e. he's qualified) in the past, so fair's fair.

Issue:
PC is running slowly.

Assessment:
For once, it genuinely is. It only has 2GB RAM which is a little low for Windows 7 but shouldn't cause anything like this - disk is pegged at 100% activity, it's swapping like it's going out of fashion, and one instance of svchost is taking up 600MB of that precious RAM.

Diagnosis:
Looked at recently installed programs, saw a load of HP stuff at the top. Asked him if he noticed slowness around the same time he installed the new printer sitting on the desk; of course he did! Uninstalled every single HP item I could see, downloaded the basic driver, rebooted and everything's back to how it should be.

gently caress printers, but especially gently caress HP's consumer driver software. :argh:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Last time I called HP tech support for a slow computer (My boss wanted me to do it, I was gonna remove everything HP anyway) I was basically asked to remove half of the pre-installed software.

It was like:
Tech: Okay, so, do you have power assistant installed?
Me: Yeah, why?
Tech: Oh just remove that, it can cause issues and doesn't really do much. Do you have the security software (forget what it's called)
Me: Yeah, seems to be installed.
Tech: Well you need to get rid of that too. Then just update the drivers and it should work.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

organburner posted:

Last time I called HP tech support for a slow computer (My boss wanted me to do it, I was gonna remove everything HP anyway) I was basically asked to remove half of the pre-installed software.

It was like:
Tech: Okay, so, do you have power assistant installed?
Me: Yeah, why?
Tech: Oh just remove that, it can cause issues and doesn't really do much. Do you have the security software (forget what it's called)
Me: Yeah, seems to be installed.
Tech: Well you need to get rid of that too. Then just update the drivers and it should work.

Sounds like that tech is one of the people who actually knows something about the product he's supporting. Keep that guy's name / rep # / extension handy and go right to him next time you have a problem.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Che Delilas posted:

Sounds like that tech is one of the people who actually knows something about the product he's supporting. Keep that guy's name / rep # / extension handy and go right to him next time you have a problem.

I'm guessing the guy will be fired for undermining the company by the time you'd want to call him back.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but please do not do this. There are few things worse in jobs like those than when you have customers "select" you as their personal support monkey.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

skooky posted:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but please do not do this. There are few things worse in jobs like those than when you have customers "select" you as their personal support monkey.

Seconding.

Never. loving. Do This.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah in first line that's awful. If you're in a position to have a rep, that's fine. If not, don't ask to speak to one guy over and over again. Chances are he's busy enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If he's just a phone guy, why does it matter if he's on the phone with you vs. someone else, unless you in particular are an rear end in a top hat or something?

• Locked thread