Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question about the Dragon Mage, if anyone else plays with that book, how much damage do the tails and claws do? Monsters have HP but a lot of the bonus classes don't say how much damage they do. Is there a rule for damage I'm missing? Or is it more of "Wing it" sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Turtlicious posted:

Question about the Dragon Mage, if anyone else plays with that book, how much damage do the tails and claws do? Monsters have HP but a lot of the bonus classes don't say how much damage they do. Is there a rule for damage I'm missing? Or is it more of "Wing it" sort of thing?

All classes have their own set damage die. Whenever a move tells you to deal your damage, you deal your class damage, so a Wizard deals 1d4, a Fighter deals 1d10 and so on, barring modifiers from other moves and equipment.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Turtlicious posted:

The Dragon Mage's damage die is d8, so they deal 1d8 damage with any attack they do, including their claws, tail, flame breath, whatever.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, that explains soooo much and I finally understand a bunch of stuff with Sixth World!

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Hey if we're posting our playbooks I decided to finish The Mimic, which I left by the wayside some months ago. It's basically a Doppelgänger + John Carpenter's Thing!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Bigup DJ posted:

Hey if we're posting our playbooks I decided to finish The Mimic, which I left by the wayside some months ago. It's basically a Doppelgänger + John Carpenter's Thing!

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm having a hard time getting it to open. Just permanently stuck in loading. I you sure you got the link right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My Dungeon World campaign is one session in and I already fear it's becoming too much for me to manage.

The first session was really fun. Thing is, out of the six players who attended the first session, only one had ever roleplayed before, and only a couple more had even considered it. (I was especially amused that one of my friends got really into it despite her having been worried about taking part in such a nerdy activity, and now she's the most excited to keep playing.) The tough part was that there were a couple of players who insisted on only being zany (one who could absolutely not be talked out of naming his Templar "Rush Hugeschlong" and another whose Star Mage always, always made his portals in the shape of a penis), but we laughed and had a good time and everyone failed almost every roll they made and it was great.

Here's the problem: two people decided to invite more players. We're up to something like nine players now, and Dungeon World just doesn't seem like it's meant to handle that many players. I'm not sure I've seen any system built to handle that. Plus, at least one of the new players, the boyfriend of my suddenly-really-excited friend, seems like a potential problem player, because he seems to think the point of the game is to kill everything always no matter what and I haven't really been able to talk him out of that yet. He hasn't actually played in a session yet, though.

The only saving grace, in a sense, is that many of the players have to travel every few weeks for work, so at any given time I probably won't have to GM for nine people--but I'm also probably not going to know who can show up to any given game until the day of.

What I wish that I could do is just say, "Listen, you're all cool people and I'm glad you're all so excited about Dungeon World, but I'm just not a good enough GM to handle either huge amounts of players at a time or never knowing who can show up, so I think I can only run this for people who can commit to a set schedule," but that strikes me as being kind of a dick. I could also try to run two campaigns: one for a smaller group of four-to-five players who want to be there every week, and another that meets every once in a while and can be total chaos and fun and we'll get drunk while we play, but I still worry that some people will feel left out or only really want to get attached to one character.

I guess I'm asking for some general GMing advice. What would you more experienced GMs do in a situation like this?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 5, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
If the group is going to be changing every session, you may have to go for a monster-of-the-week feel or resign that the character 'mysteriously wander off' between sessions or 'they were always there.'

As for the murder-hobo, try to engage him with an NPC or place him in places where violence is obviously going to screw everyone over. but be sure not to troll him or you will just get angry players.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Don't even think about doing nine people, six is already pushing it.

Offer to do a one-shot for the new guys. See who is eager to play regularly and do a campaign with them. For the rest, just do a one-shot every now and then, perhaps keeping their character cards.

If you're still swarmed with players longing for a campaign, split them into two separate groups and begin a life-long quest to goad some other fool into GMing. Whether splitting or downsizing the group, you can ask them to roll new characters because of reasons, using the possibility to ask the players to adhere to certain tone - feel free to be frank about that DMing takes quite a bit of effort and therefore you'd like to ask some favors in return.

Don't worry about the killy guy, he should get it during play. Give him some goblins to slay, since it's the sort of poo poo he'll probably like a lot and use your forward knowledge to plan some possible scenes where his hot-headedness will put him in a spot, or make character look silly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Harrow posted:

My Dungeon World campaign is one session in and I already fear it's becoming too much for me to manage.

The first session was really fun. Thing is, out of the six players who attended the first session, only one had ever roleplayed before, and only a couple more had even considered it. (I was especially amused that one of my friends got really into it despite her having been worried about taking part in such a nerdy activity, and now she's the most excited to keep playing.) The tough part was that there were a couple of players who insisted on only being zany (one who could absolutely not be talked out of naming his Templar "Rush Hugeschlong" and another whose Star Mage always, always made his portals in the shape of a penis), but we laughed and had a good time and everyone failed almost every roll they made and it was great.

Here's the problem: two people decided to invite more players. We're up to something like nine players now, and Dungeon World just doesn't seem like it's meant to handle that many players. I'm not sure I've seen any system built to handle that. Plus, at least one of the new players, the boyfriend of my suddenly-really-excited friend, seems like a potential problem player, because he seems to think the point of the game is to kill everything always no matter what and I haven't really been able to talk him out of that yet. He hasn't actually played in a session yet, though.

The only saving grace, in a sense, is that many of the players have to travel every few weeks for work, so at any given time I probably won't have to GM for nine people--but I'm also probably not going to know who can show up to any given game until the day of.

What I wish that I could do is just say, "Listen, you're all cool people and I'm glad you're all so excited about Dungeon World, but I'm just not a good enough GM to handle either huge amounts of players at a time or never knowing who can show up, so I think I can only run this for people who can commit to a set schedule," but that strikes me as being kind of a dick. I could also try to run two campaigns: one for a smaller group of four-to-five players who want to be there every week, and another that meets every once in a while and can be total chaos and fun and we'll get drunk while we play, but I still worry that some people will feel left out or only really want to get attached to one character.

I guess I'm asking for some general GMing advice. What would you more experienced GMs do in a situation like this?

I'd get a second GM, is what I'd do. Ask around - I'm sure someone else is interested in the job, you have 9 players on hand. It'd be much more manageable to have two groups of 4 players + GM than a big group of 1 GM + 9 players.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Teonis posted:

If the group is going to be changing every session, you may have to go for a monster-of-the-week feel or resign that the character 'mysteriously wander off' between sessions or 'they were always there.'

I've considered a monster-of-the-week or dungeon-of-the-week setup, but the other problem is that I'm not sure I can nail down a group of players for long enough to finish the given story/dungeon--some of my more enthusiastic players were getting antsy by the end of our two-and-a-half hour first session, for example. That'd mean that the roster might change between sessions and we need to find some reason why a couple people disappeared mid-dungeon and another guy somehow appeared.

Lichtenstein posted:

Don't even think about doing nine people, six is already pushing it.

Offer to do a one-shot for the new guys. See who is eager to play regularly and do a campaign with them. For the rest, just do a one-shot every now and then, perhaps keeping their character cards.

gnome7 posted:

I'd get a second GM, is what I'd do. Ask around - I'm sure someone else is interested in the job, you have 9 players on hand. It'd be much more manageable to have two groups of 4 players + GM than a big group of 1 GM + 9 players.

A second GM would be a dream. I can see if anyone is interested in doing something like that--hell, I'd love to get a chance to play (I'm itching to play the Clock Mage, specifically).

Failing that--given that only one or two people have ever roleplayed before in the group, and most of the players are more busy with their jobs than I am--my best solution is probably going to be the "run a campaign for the regular players and the occasional one-shot for everyone else" approach.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 5, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Teonis posted:

We had a DnD game where the GM basically set up the premise as a rich former adventurer going off to an unsettled area and advertising for adventurers to show up and solve his local problems for cash money. So, there was a "hub" of sorts where we had homes, friends, and a good excuse for PC's to hang out for a session or two, or be off doing something else for the "king", or even a simple way to introduce new characters if someone got bored of theirs or just wanted a change for a while. And there was a dude who could go, "Oh so-and-so, yeah, he just left two days ago for someplace, if you hurry you can catch them I bet," if someone not around one week needed to show up late. It worked pretty well.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm having a hard time getting it to open. Just permanently stuck in loading. I you sure you got the link right?

Well I clicked it and it sent me to the page, so yes! Googledocs just does that sometimes.

Also it's not actually finished now but I've almost got the moves done and that's the hard part so it should be finished next week! Then I'll turn it into a pdf for printing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If stuff on Google Docs isn't loading for you, download the file and try opening it there. That's what I've been doing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
My first Dungeon World GMing was for like, 8 people. It went really slowly.

The next week, due to availabilities, I think I had 2 returning players and 3 new ones. Generally these 5 formed the core of the adventurers but I might've had 12-15 more players in the campaign, from as far away as Sweden. Generally, 4-5 is the sweet spot between wide competency, player interaction and individual focus.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I think it was talked about in the thread before, but has anyone tried using the advantage/disadvantage mechanic similar to 5e in an actual game to see how it turns out? I think the thought was rolling 3d6, and advantage let you take the highest two while disadvantage the lowest two. It was in place of ongoing/forward.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

I think it was talked about in the thread before, but has anyone tried using the advantage/disadvantage mechanic similar to 5e in an actual game to see how it turns out? I think the thought was rolling 3d6, and advantage let you take the highest two while disadvantage the lowest two. It was in place of ongoing/forward.

A quick set of Compendium Class moves:

Gambler's Fallacy
Whenever you would roll, you may instead roll 3d6 and take the two lowest die. Gain 1 Fortune. If you roll 6-, you do not gain an XP.

Lady Luck
You may spend 1 Fortune to roll 3d6 and take the two highest die on a roll. If you roll a 6-, gain 2 XP.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Xelkelvos posted:

A quick set of Compendium Class moves:

Gambler's Fallacy
Whenever you would roll, you may instead roll 3d6 and take the two lowest die. Gain 1 Fortune. If you roll 6-, you do not gain an XP.

Lady Luck
You may spend 1 Fortune to roll 3d6 and take the two highest die on a roll. If you roll a 6-, gain 2 XP.

drat, I dig that, hope you don't mind if I steal it in the future.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Never mind compendium class moves, I'm tempted to run that as a normal move for all classes! Great way to represent someone putting their fate in the hands of Lady Luck.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just as an addendum, using http://anydice.com/, the spreads for 3d6 drop highest/lowest skew 2 lower/higher respectively. With 3d6 drop highest, there's about a 32% chance to get 7+ unmodified. With 3d6 drop lowest, there's about an 81% chance to get 7+ unmodified.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
What's the best way to get a bunch of guys who are into D&D 5E into Dungeon World? I'm sure this question's been asked before.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

What's the best way to get a bunch of guys who are into D&D 5E into Dungeon World? I'm sure this question's been asked before.

Run Fiasco first so they get used to contributing details to the world, then run DW.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
So I've got a game coming up and I asked my wife what kind of character she wanted to play. Well she decided she wanted to play a Japanese demon, like Inuyasha. Shes a big anime fan, so I wanted to help her out and told her she could probably play another class that has the basic abilities that someone like Inuyasha would have, then use a compendium class to add all her demon powers. I've been playing with the idea in my head for a week now and was wondering if anyone has made a class that resembles, or would be good for, making a Youkai, or Japanese folklore demon/spirit. I've been using inspirations like Inuyasha, of course, Yuyu Hakusho, Kamisama Kiss, and other japanese folklore.

I was thinking Youkai could be a Compendium class that highlights your demon powers, but if there are any takers, a full on Youkai playbook might be worth a try. I just don't have the know-how or experience to write a full on class yet, but I'm going to work on the CC at work today and post it later.

Currently playing with ideas like: Spirit, Demon, and Oni as the races. A signature attack you can make during character creation. Powering up a chosen weapon with demon energy.

I have a sinking feeling this whole thing is going to lead to me making an Feudal-Japan-hack of Dungeon world for my wife... Oriental Adventures anyone?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Teonis posted:

So I've got a game coming up and I asked my wife what kind of character she wanted to play. Well she decided she wanted to play a Japanese demon, like Inuyasha. Shes a big anime fan, so I wanted to help her out and told her she could probably play another class that has the basic abilities that someone like Inuyasha would have, then use a compendium class to add all her demon powers. I've been playing with the idea in my head for a week now and was wondering if anyone has made a class that resembles, or would be good for, making a Youkai, or Japanese folklore demon/spirit. I've been using inspirations like Inuyasha, of course, Yuyu Hakusho, Kamisama Kiss, and other japanese folklore.

I was thinking Youkai could be a Compendium class that highlights your demon powers, but if there are any takers, a full on Youkai playbook might be worth a try. I just don't have the know-how or experience to write a full on class yet, but I'm going to work on the CC at work today and post it later.

Currently playing with ideas like: Spirit, Demon, and Oni as the races. A signature attack you can make during character creation. Powering up a chosen weapon with demon energy.

I have a sinking feeling this whole thing is going to lead to me making an Feudal-Japan-hack of Dungeon world for my wife... Oriental Adventures anyone?

Also think about the kinds of things those characters want and get into trouble over. A big part may be the connections they develop with mortals. Backing up that kind of character archetypes and motivations is a big part of a successful play book, whereas compendium classes usually focus on powers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I actually have a huge packet of conversion stuff, and things like maps and notes and NPCs all dealing with running a base DW game in a Japanese Mythological setting. Sengoku era, because boats and guns and "European" traders and missionaries is cool as heck, but a lot of stuff from mythology is there. When I get done with it, I'll post it up.

But first I have a question. How am I supposed to run two DMs?

Through a series of mishaps we have 7 people coming to our dungeon world game in a few hours. One of the players has expressed interest in DMing before so I'm going to try and take him on as a second DM for these kinds of situations. Do we just run two mini-scenarios with similar themes? That can't be all there is to it, can there?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Babe Magnet posted:

Do we just run two mini-scenarios with similar themes? That can't be all there is to it, can there?

Yep, that's all there is to it.

Another option would be to try having both groups in the same "world" but each doing their own thing. I would have everyone do the whole first session as a group, answering questions, and then split where it seems natural to do so.

This has the benefit of allowing peeps from group a showing back up in group b for a side adventure, or, if you lose some players, rejoining the groups.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alright. I really don't want to run 6 or 7 people, especially if two of them are going to be new to the game. I'm looking at what other people have to say online and I'm probably going to keep them all in the same group, but have the other DM help me manage things in combat and in situations where the party's split, like in towns or areas without a specific objective.

I'll post a trip-report of how it goes tonight.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Re: yokai chat. I think a yokai would definitely merit a class of its own. It's a strong enough concept that you could easily conceive a character starting out as one instead of having to discover through play that "Welp, I guess I'm a yokai" which compendium classes are more suited to.

I sort of have this idea of a Yokai playbook forming in my head: Japanese myth and folklore is full of ritual and etiquette, in the sense that there are certain agreed upon offerings you make to local spirits (fried tofu for foxes, cucumber for kappa) and I'd basically make that a theme for the yokai. The theme of the playbook would be something like "Spirit manifest in physical form as part of some ritual" and have the moves be about contract and etiquette.

Of course, as spirits the yokai would have moves towards petitioning other spirits for aid as well as some knowledge of spirit etiquette. I'd probably give them a starting move that describes some type of taboo the character must uphold (for instance, not entering a dwelling without invitation, always returning a show of courtesy, or always having to answer a petition for service when offered the right ritual offering).

The alignment/drive analogues would be very straightforward (Evil: uphold the letter but not the spirit of an agreement, etc.) but I'm at a loss as to what the race analogues should be. Maybe a broad Demon/Oni category for traditionally malevolent yokai, Animal/Henge for nature-themed yokai, but what else? Ghosts and/or Shinigami?

If I could just find a good unifying theme for the playbook I could probably poo poo out a Google docs file out of this with starting moves and everything, but at the moment this still feels a bit disjointed.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

What's the best way to get a bunch of guys who are into D&D 5E into Dungeon World?

In this vein is it a bad idea to start with a module? What are some good modules?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
touhou playbook? :haw:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Tollymain posted:

I'm pretty sure I played something similar to the Tengu from Touhou using the Skydancer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Isn't there a whole bunch of Tengu in Touhou? Including one that, for some reason, isn't a bird but a wolf?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tollymain posted:

A general Myths and Legends set(s) of playbooks might go a long way.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Isn't there a whole bunch of Tengu in Touhou? Including one that, for some reason, isn't a bird but a wolf?

Tengu are one of the major races, yeah. And they come in both the Wolf and Crow variety. There's a named Wolf and two named Crow Tengu in Touhou.

Xelkelvos posted:

I am sorely tempted to write this, but at the same time I'd rather make the playbooks into a Touhou World hack rather than try to slam it into Dungeon World.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Xelkelvos posted:

Isn't the Stalwart pretty much a Hercules archetype already?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, but it's also for 13th Age!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:doh: I've been reading a lot of DW and 13th Age lately and its blurring together.

Solution: Make the Stalwart in DW... now if only I had any talent for such matters.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i used to be working on a few dungeon world playbooks but i've lost the heart for it, if anybody else wants to take them over or steal from them or whatever they can

the demigod: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IgzGa1ahhM5c8fRsRV1YHjYSo0HK-QyOcPezEhvMxzs/edit

the stolen: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B05Z9acyrLSib3JqTjZ4S1dmTWs

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

How familiar are people here with the Beguiler playbook? I have a player who's using one and he's sort of a shithead and I think he's (perhaps unintentionally) abusing an aspect of the playbook.

Specifically, I'm talking about this aspect:

and how it interacts with this aspect:

Basically what he's doing is creating a kind of "clone" of himself, and then shapeshifting his own body into something different as two different parts of the same action. The way I'm reading it is, you're only supposed to take the +1 to concealing your identity if you use Beguiler's Cloak on yourself. In fact, I'm not really seeing anywhere that says you can summon a clone of yourself. It all looks like personal, self-range magic stuff,outside of the advanced moves that let you use it on an ally too, of course.

I'm all for allowing creative interpretations of a playbook, so I'm not calling him lovely because of the above (it's for a ton of other reasons), but I feel like we're not interpreting this move correctly at a very basic level and I just want some clarification. As we're running it now, he's essentially invincible, and hasn't been touched a single time in our past two sessions because he's always managing to bend his dumb clone illusion's rules to completely nullify anything I do. Which, again, I'd usually be cool with, but whenever I do manage to affect him negatively (He was caught in an explosion and I was going to let him use his clone as a buffer to take away the damage, but the downsize (he rolled a 9) was that he wouldn't be able to use the clone again for a while because it knocked him senseless and dazed him and ruined his concentration) he pitched a huge hissy-fit and tried to argue the downsides away. The only reason I didn't boot him from the game right then is the fact that we had two new people playing and I didn't want to make them play with a pissed off manchild in the room.

So this was sort of a half-venting, half-questioning post, but I would like to know if we're running this right. It doesn't seem on the level to me, but if the clone thing is legit I'll concede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'm kind of thinking of revisiting the Bastion with some new ideas, going from just a "tough guy who defends people" to also include "For glory in every way imaginable"

Less "I defended my group really well and got us through the orcs" to "I waded through the orcish horde shield guiding my allies before running up and devastating the orc warlord, because god drat that's the legend I'm going to make and nothing less will satisfy me"