Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I just finished Nocturne this week, loving loved it. I decided to try to get back into SMT4 - I stopped playing a few hours in last time because I got sidetracked.

Seriously, is it just me, or is this game loving garbage? The gameplay seems completely deranged - you can save anywhere and the main character dying doesn't end the game but even the lowliest pieces of crap can randomly one shot your peeps and everyone is worth loving nothing in XP so it's not even worth trying to grind until things aren't so broken.

Am I just crazy underleveled? The MC is 11 and I'm Kiccigiorgi forest.

Is there something I'm missing that would make this game actually fun or should I just go play something else? Lord knows I've got plenty of other SMT games sitting around unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is no End stat in the game so you both hit hard and are hit hard. Rethink your strategies. Grinding won't help you because levels matter a lot less.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

SavageMessiah posted:

Is there something I'm missing that would make this game actually fun or should I just go play something else?

Just go play some Digital Devil Saga. I'm playing it for the first time having beat Nocturne a few years ago, it's the closest I've gotten to it since.

That said, you really shouldn't need to grind to beat SMT IV. I didn't like it a whole lot, but not for that reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Of course you can save anywhere, it's a 3DS game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The flipside of having no defense stat is that once you get out of Naraku the game becomes an utter joke. It's really fast-paced for a turn-based game, even lategame bosses will go down in just a few rounds.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

Of course you can save anywhere, it's a 3DS game.

Most other RPGs I played (on DS admittedly) had normal save points + a quick save that was deleted on load.

My point with save anywhere is that you can LOAD anywhere, meaning you can reload until things go your way. It bothers me a little. Fortunately the game doesn't have the sorts of things I would be really tempted to abuse reloading for.

I guess I'll try to stick with it for a while longer. I like everything else about it, maybe I just need to reach the equivalent to fusing my first fiend in Nocturne i.e. the point at which I start becoming an unstoppable badass.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SavageMessiah posted:

My point with save anywhere is that you can LOAD anywhere, meaning you can reload until things go your way. It bothers me a little.

Why?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Because if you can't lose 30 minutes of progress due to enemy casting Mahama, then it just isn't a CHALLENGE, dude.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think part of Naraku's primary function is to drill into you the fact that you cannot cheese this game early on. You either learn to be strategic about your encounters, or you'll get your face caved in repeatedly. Once you get wiggle room and get to think about your moves, this game becomes cake.

But yeah, even if I really liked SMT4, you should consider playing a different SMT for a while.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

It ruins some games because I can't resist the urge to savescum until things go perfectly. It turns games into work. I fully recognize this is stupid. Fortunately it doesn't really apply here. I certainly don't miss the prospect of the MC getting mudooned because I forgot I had a Weak: Death magatama ingested and losing a bunch of time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Any handheld game that does not allow you to save frequently, and preferably at will, is being really stupid.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still end up losing a bunch of progress when I'm able to save anywhere anytime because I don't value save points as much and thus forget to spend the 10 seconds to save for hours at a time. :v:

But SMT IV is good because it inspired Kotaku articles like this:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 9, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I really like being able to close the 3DS to stop playing whenever I want, but being able to save at any time can really limit dungeon design. It's why I like stuff like Resonance of Fate's quick save system.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Strange Quark posted:

I still end up losing a bunch of progress when I'm able to save anywhere anytime because I don't value save points as much and thus forget to spend the 10 seconds to save for hours at a time. :v:

But SMT IV is good because it inspired Kotaku articles like this:

He got whipped by the game, then got mad when it made fun of him for switching to Easy.

That's the whole article.

Edit In other news, gently caress Steel Gigas' Sonic Punch and their annoying propensity to just oneshot my MC from full health as soon as someone misses with a Zio.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
For my own two cents, I personally like how SMTIV's battles tend to end quickly, one way or another. I haven't beaten it yet, but pretty much all battles should be over in like 5 rounds. Wipe or get wiped.

And yeah, levels really only seem to matter when it comes to fusing demons (though I've been lazy with that and keeping things with base 30 levels as I get up to 40) since careful planning will take out higher level dudes (yay magic) while being lazy and auto battling the wrong demon group will get bad fast even if theyre like 5 levels below you.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
So, just a quick question. Got this game and really like it, but I am having a ton of trouble making cash. Is it worth it to grind poo poo out to get armor or can you just ignore it and wait for treasure drops?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

big duck equals goose posted:

So, just a quick question. Got this game and really like it, but I am having a ton of trouble making cash. Is it worth it to grind poo poo out to get armor or can you just ignore it and wait for treasure drops?

When you say 'this game' what entry in the 20+ years of Megaten are you specifically referring to?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If you're talking IV then the only time I ever bought armor was for a certain earlygame side-quest that was one-shotting my character. There's no defense stat in this game so the only thing armor is good for is setting your resistances and giving you (marginal) bonus HP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

big duck equals goose posted:

If you mean SMT IV, money is not really a huge deal. Armor is less important for stats than for resistances so once you get a good resistance you can generally use it for long periods of time/unlike you find a Repel/Null armor.

One sidequest will give you a Null Fire armor that is so good it can carry you through most of the game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm playing Persona 3 FES: The Answer and I got this neat gun that does 250 damage + high odds of fear. That's really useful. Am I crazy for wanting to keep that equipped instead of the 300-damage gun that doesn't have that bonus effect? It doesn't seem like the damage output is that much different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm playing Persona 3 FES: The Answer and I got this neat gun that does 250 damage + high odds of fear. That's really useful. Am I crazy for wanting to keep that equipped instead of the 300-damage gun that doesn't have that bonus effect? It doesn't seem like the damage output is that much different.

When it comes to weapons, nope, not at all. A high chance of status effect is going to be way more useful and a minuscule amount more damage.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you're talking IV then the only time I ever bought armor was for a certain earlygame side-quest that was one-shotting my character. There's no defense stat in this game so the only thing armor is good for is setting your resistances and giving you (marginal) bonus HP.

And playing dress up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SavageMessiah posted:

It ruins some games because I can't resist the urge to savescum until things go perfectly. It turns games into work. I fully recognize this is stupid.

Well as long as you recognize that's you ruining games and not the function ruining games.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Poison Mushroom posted:

He got whipped by the game, then got mad when it made fun of him for switching to Easy. Zio.

The joke's on you, game. I already play on Easy. :smug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I really like being able to close the 3DS to stop playing whenever I want, but being able to save at any time can really limit dungeon design. It's why I like stuff like Resonance of Fate's quick save system.

How does it limit dungeon design? :raise:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

A save-anywhere design generally requires you to design the game in such a way that the player can never be put in a position where they can't backtrack/get out or else you risk players saving themselves into an unwinnable situation. This ends up creating certain design limitations that you don't have with pre-designated save points.

Edit: And obviously there are ways around this, like the Dragon Quest "you respawn back at town when you die" method, but it depends on the game and concept.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 9, 2014

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can save yourself into an unwinnable state.

They do give you two slots, so maybe if they made one into an auto-save every time you go to a town or whatever would be a solution to this?

Edit: ^^ Yeah that

Erg fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 9, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
SMT1 iOS: I just got to Sendagaya/Shinjuku and I lost a party member at the terminal. Will I get Pascal back later or am I forever unable to fuse Cerberus? Also, will I ever get a compendium?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

A save-anywhere design generally requires you to design the game in such a way that the player can never be put in a position where they can't backtrack/get out or else you risk players saving themselves into an unwinnable situation. This ends up creating certain design limitations that you don't have with pre-designated save points.

Edit: And obviously there are ways around this, like the Dragon Quest "you respawn back at town when you die" method, but it depends on the game and concept.

I don't see how that works, it's not like you can ever save mid fight and if a dungeon can trap you and force a reload that's just bad design.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't see how that works, it's not like you can ever save mid fight and if a dungeon can trap you and force a reload that's just bad design.

It limits things like 'surprise boss battles when you try to leave' and 'you might save when you're out of healing items and can't escape the battles fast enough to avoid dying.'

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Japanese popularity rankings.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That thing is really old.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I am genuinely upset that the female P3P MC, Kanji, and Nanako all did worse than loving Yosuke.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, that poo poo's from like February of 2012. It even only mentions Persona 4 Arena as like a big upcoming game as it was coming out the next month in arcades.

EDIT: Also that shot from Golden is probably promotional, the game would've been about four months away from release and I'm pretty sure we knew about bikes around that point.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

That thing is really old.

It's got screenshots from Golden so it's not that old.

e: ok

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Golden is like two years old at this point. Probably more since Japan would have gotten it before us by a fair bit.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excels posted:

Japanese popularity rankings.

I understand Yu being first, but I am shocked that Yosuke is ahead of the girls.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I understand Yu being first, but I am shocked that Yosuke is ahead of the girls.

a lot of the fans make yosuke and the protagonist super bro-gay for each other. yosuke himself is sort of like an ascended meme. he got more popular over time

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yosuke is the typical sidekick character, but handsome. Like literally, he's meant to be Junpei but better looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Minato is 5th, Aigis is 6th, Kanji is 12th, I will never understand Japan