Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

To be fair, every single time it is :getin: as gently caress and :woop: :toot: :woop:

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RaoulDuke12 posted:

There is one stupid caveat to the total credit usage, and that is that it TECHNICALLY should be over 0%. Having 100% of your available credit available to you is bad for some reason. So if you ever need to get a car or a house loan, let a charge that's 2-8% of your total available credit roll through your billing cycle so it shows up on your credit report, you'll get the best rate. Seriously.

To clarify this point - you don't need to get charged interest in order for an outstanding balance to show up on your account. The major credit cards typically report once a month, and unless you rarely use a card, it most likely won't show as zero balance.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Manwithastick posted:

I just started using twitter - what is the best way to ethically (as in not pay for) get followers and people interested in my small uneventful life?
Get your tits out.

If you don't have tits go gets some tits and then GOTO 1.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manwithastick posted:

I just started using twitter - what is the best way to ethically (as in not pay for) get followers and people interested in my small uneventful life?

Yeah if you don't have interesting and/or funny things to say, then you're not going to get followers and that's ok. The average twitter user has 1 follower. Most people use it to follow people only.

edit: source for stat because someone may want to know: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/19/twitter-statistics_n_4469054.html

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manwithastick posted:

Be funny, interesting, informative, etc. If you post things that people want to read then people will want to read them.

DNova posted:

I've also done a lot of research on the matter and found there to be a lot of wildly inconsistent information floating around.
People might be more likely to listen to you if you backed up your statements with any kind of evidence. "Just trust me, a person you don't know on the internet" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I know nothing about the topic, but other people seem a lot more reliable than you do because they've actually told us where they got their information.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Be funny, interesting, informative, etc. If you post things that people want to read then people will want to read them.

People might be more likely to listen to you if you backed up your statements with any kind of evidence. "Just trust me, a person you don't know on the internet" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I know nothing about the topic, but other people seem a lot more reliable than you do because they've actually told us where they got their information.

Credit scores are the result of proprietary formulas the rating agencies don't tell us any detailed information about. There are no concrete facts available to us, only the results of observations. Any source you can cite is just using these observations or, more commonly, old myths that still survive.

But one very nice thing is that anyone can easily prove or disprove what I have said, if you want to control your finances in such a way to test any of it. I have done so (not particularly by choice) and have seen the results firsthand.

One poster said you'll get a better rate on your mortgage if you have a balance show up on your revolving credit the month before you get the loan. This is an easily testable case, because you can start with no reported balances and see your score, then let there be a balance reported and see your score. There will not likely be any meaningful impact, assuming there are no other changes to your situation in the same time frame.

For anyone who does want to look more into their own credit scores and see how their choices affect things, I recommend creditkarma.com. They have a few different scores you can monitor for free, most notably is Transunion's credit score. You can get new scores every week or so, if you want to be extremely granular about it. In this way, you can have some very real information rather than trusting what anyone tells you (including me!)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DNova posted:

Credit scores are the result of proprietary formulas the rating agencies don't tell us any detailed information about. There are no concrete facts available to us, only the results of observations.

Sure, but there might be sources that have collected large amounts of observations, which would be better than any one random person on the Internet.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hooah posted:

Sure, but there might be sources that have collected large amounts of observations, which would be better than any one random person on the Internet.

That is very true.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

My dad gave me his old Carrera sunglasses (mid 80s). One of the lenses has a very heavy magnifying prescription for some reason. Is it possible to get this fixed for less than it would cost to just buy another pair? The difference between the two lenses is so much that I can't wear them or I'll get a headache. But the glasses are so drat cool.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hummingbirds posted:

My dad gave me his old Carrera sunglasses (mid 80s). One of the lenses has a very heavy magnifying prescription for some reason. Is it possible to get this fixed for less than it would cost to just buy another pair? The difference between the two lenses is so much that I can't wear them or I'll get a headache. But the glasses are so drat cool.

Any eyeglass place should be able to find properly tinted lenses to replace both eyes and have them ground to not have a prescription,just bring the sunglasses in and ask.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was born left-handed, or maybe ambidextrous. Anyway one of my first teachers in school broke me of that and made me write with my right hand.

So now I do most things right handed, but I noticed that I only use my iPhone with my left hand to play games and text. It feels weird in my right hand.

Anyway is there a word for someone in my situation? Someone who is forced to use a non-dominant hand, but now it is my dominant hand cause I've been doing it for so long?

Just curious, I never really thought about it much until recently.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

triplexpac posted:

Anyway is there a word for someone in my situation? Someone who is forced to use a non-dominant hand, but now it is my dominant hand cause I've been doing it for so long?

"Mixed-handedness," "cross-dominance," or "weak-handedness," although those can be both natural or trained. I write right-handed and use a mouse left-handed, but that was a deliberate chose a while back to minimize arm stress.
http://www.rightleftrightwrong.com/what.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cross dominance is what I would think. It's what a doc told me I was since I write and eat left-handed, but play most (but not all) sports right handed (and footed).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Glad to know I'm not alone :unsmith: There are dozens of us!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is there still a thread for gambling on sports? I see a soccer gambling thread and an MMA gambling thread, but there used to be a thread where a bunch of us would bet on basketball/football/whatever and share our (usually terrible) results. I just got the yearly itch and deposited some money at 5dimes and hope to share my misery with others...

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

triplexpac posted:

Glad to know I'm not alone :unsmith: There are dozens of us!

It's common in the 40-60 year old bracket because teachers used to think writing left handed was wrong and forced students to write with their write hands, causing a higher statistic of ambidextrous students then normal.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Babygravy posted:

It's common in the 40-60 year old bracket because teachers used to think writing left handed was wrong and forced students to write with their write hands, causing a higher statistic of ambidextrous students then normal.

Yes. Though there were also so few left-handed desks, scissors, etc. that I'm not sorry they made me write righty.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cross dominance is what I would think. It's what a doc told me I was since I write and eat left-handed, but play most (but not all) sports right handed (and footed).

Anecdotal evidence alert:

It seems like ice hockey players in certain regions develop mixed hand strengths as well. Goalie equipment is expensive and decidedly handed, which means that young little goalies end up catching with whatever hand glove is there.

I played right catch goalie for three years, and then switched and stayed with left catch. I only even found out about it when I ran across old photos.

And coaches just make the skaters switch hands based on what the lineup needs at sign up time. I played both left and right as a skater though I have always been aware of that.

In coaching basketball and soccer, it is significantly harder for people to switch dominant feet.

Thus to me, it is surprising that people are so aware of handedness, which seems pliable, and not at all aware of footedness, which seems much, much less pliable. Although it seems that skateboarders are nowadays easily able to switch footing when in the old days, that was just unheard of.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am right-handed, but left-eye dominant, and anytime I shoot anything but a pistol, I shoot left-handed. I also bat left-handed.

Pistols I shoot right-handed because I can still aim with my left eye.

So, yeah, handedness seems a little easier to overcome than eye dominance, too. Or, at least, for me it is.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Phuket takes practice and lots of repetition to change patterns of hand/foot dominance.. Hours every week of kicking left footed helped.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pupdive posted:

Although it seems that skateboarders are nowadays easily able to switch footing when in the old days, that was just unheard of.

I thought that's what goofy foot was all about?

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

ulmont posted:

I thought that's what goofy foot was all about?

In the old days, there were but a few goofy foot skaters, and most people only mistakenly switched their forward foot, when they were desperately trying to ride something out.

Now there are a lot of skateboarding tricks that count on being able to switch on the fly.

I imagine snowboarding is similar to skateboarding in whatever senses.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

pupdive posted:

Anecdotal evidence alert:

It seems like ice hockey players in certain regions develop mixed hand strengths as well. Goalie equipment is expensive and decidedly handed, which means that young little goalies end up catching with whatever hand glove is there.

I played right catch goalie for three years, and then switched and stayed with left catch. I only even found out about it when I ran across old photos.

And coaches just make the skaters switch hands based on what the lineup needs at sign up time. I played both left and right as a skater though I have always been aware of that.

In coaching basketball and soccer, it is significantly harder for people to switch dominant feet.

Thus to me, it is surprising that people are so aware of handedness, which seems pliable, and not at all aware of footedness, which seems much, much less pliable. Although it seems that skateboarders are nowadays easily able to switch footing when in the old days, that was just unheard of.

There's a pretty interesting New York Times article about the differences in handedness between American and Canadian hockey players. Definitely worth searching out. (I'm an American, and pretty much the only thing I do naturally left-handed is hold a hockey stick)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
At what point does a stubbed toe warrant seeing a doctor? I smashed my little toe into a bar stool and it's got an enormous bruise now, I don't think it's broken because I broke it by doing the exact same thing once already and it doesn't hurt nearly as much.

(Yes, I am considering getting rid of the bar stools)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Even if you broke it, a doctor can't really do much about a broken toe. Maybe tape it to another toe. Maybe.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

OneEightHundred posted:

At what point does a stubbed toe warrant seeing a doctor? I smashed my little toe into a bar stool and it's got an enormous bruise now, I don't think it's broken because I broke it by doing the exact same thing once already and it doesn't hurt nearly as much.

The only reason you would consider going to a doctor about it, would be if the toe was sticking in a new direction and needed bone setting.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Gravity Pike posted:

Even if you broke it, a doctor can't really do much about a broken toe. Maybe tape it to another toe. Maybe.
This is likely the answer (IANAD), but you can always post a picture in The Goon Doctor and see what they say.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I know the US military use drone aircraft, but why don't they use drone boats or tanks?

It seems like an ideal thing because real tanks can get blown up by IEDs or whatever else is out there, and then the crew is killed or injured. If they had remote control tanks it would reduce the danger that US soldiers/crew are put in so it seems like an obvious use case.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Crankit posted:

I know the US military use drone aircraft, but why don't they use drone boats or tanks?

It seems like an ideal thing because real tanks can get blown up by IEDs or whatever else is out there, and then the crew is killed or injured. If they had remote control tanks it would reduce the danger that US soldiers/crew are put in so it seems like an obvious use case.

They've been trying to get autonomous vehicles working for awhile now, at least for trucks and such. But as it stands though, the real benefit of drone aircraft isn't really the lack of crew, it's that they're cheaper and smaller than manned aircraft, and can stay in the air much longer than something manned could. That you're not putting a pilot in risk is kind of a secondary benefit.

For an automated tank, though, you're still putting out a full-sized machine. And you'll have to create a whole new one that's not designed expecting to be controlled by people. There's a certain level of complexity in control there that an aircraft replacement doesn't have to deal with (an M1 Abrams has a crew of four: commander, driver, loader, and gunner). Plus, it's not really tanks that are endangered by IEDs, it's trucks and humvees, the point of which in some cases is to be carrying people.

Ships are a similar issue, on an even bigger scale. The newest design in the fleet, the Zumwalt-class, carries a crew of 140, and a good chunk of that are engineering and repair crew, which you can't replicate with someone sitting in a control center hundreds of miles away.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Lawnie posted:

There's a pretty interesting New York Times article about the differences in handedness between American and Canadian hockey players. Definitely worth searching out. (I'm an American, and pretty much the only thing I do naturally left-handed is hold a hockey stick)

If we're remembering the same article:

I played golf and baseball long before I played any kind of hockey so when I picked up a street hockey stick with no curve at all, I instinctively played right-handed. Apparently if I had played hockey as soon as I could stand up like so many Canadians, someone would have told me to put my right hand on top of the stick instead of the middle and I would have ended up a left-hand shot instead of right.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

OneEightHundred posted:

Broken toe chat

I fractured my big toe right through the cartilage that connects the phalanx to the metatarsal. In addition to immobilizing it, I also got a few rounds of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. I don't know if that was necessary, or if it aided healing, but it sure felt good. 10/10, would break toe again.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

OneEightHundred posted:

I hosed up my big toe bad one year. It got caught on a loose edge of carpet or something ,and I basically ended up bending it and stepping down on it hard

It turned pretty much black that weekend so I guess I broke it. I went to the doctor and they just shrugged, not much they could do about it. It healed up ok but it hurt to bend it for years after. Takes ages to get feeling better.

That's my toe story.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Mine is that I broke my big metatarsal and thought I broke my toe so I didn't go to the doctor for a month, and when I did go all they could do was give me crutches. My foot hurt for a year.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I suspect that I've broken my little toe several times, but I've never been to the doctor for it because my understanding is that all they can do is say "Yes, you have. Try not to do that again." It hurts like a bastard for ages and you learn to avoid moving your toes, but then it heals and that's it.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
I drew an image in pencil today that I want to take it further and have an artist recreate, clean up and digitize.
the image would be in B/w. Obviously I would scan the image and Email it to them.

Who(what profession)would I seek out to make this project happen? and is there a price standard?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mambo italiano posted:

I drew an image in pencil today that I want to take it further and have an artist recreate, clean up and digitize.
the image would be in B/w. Obviously I would scan the image and Email it to them.

Who(what profession)would I seek out to make this project happen? and is there a price standard?
Post the picture in SA mart, ask what they would charge you. Graphic artists check there often for commission work. Depends on the complexity.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009

Cage posted:

Post the picture in SA mart, ask what they would charge you. Graphic artists check there often for commission work. Depends on the complexity.

Thank you

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Do you remember how you ended up lefty?

I team coached first time kids, and we just assigned them, but I wonder how people who actually know what they are doing do it. I was impressed that there was no real learning curve in my kids, but then again and that age and experience level the stick is just there to keep them from falling down as much as anything. Expecting them to intentionally shoot the puck is a lost cause.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

pupdive posted:

Do you remember how you ended up lefty?

I team coached first time kids, and we just assigned them, but I wonder how people who actually know what they are doing do it. I was impressed that there was no real learning curve in my kids, but then again and that age and experience level the stick is just there to keep them from falling down as much as anything. Expecting them to intentionally shoot the puck is a lost cause.

To be honest, I don't, really. I had an old street hockey stick curved for a righty that I dug out to play some shinny at a roller rink with friends and I found playing it righty really awkward and uncomfortable, then when I started playing ice I picked up a lefty stick and instantly felt more comfortable.

I've never had any instruction or anything like that in hockey, although it may be interesting to add that I can't hockey stop turning to my left; only to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How come when I connect from a new device, Steam tells me that I'm connecting from "SAN JOSE, CA," even though I'm obviously on the East Coast?